• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If only I tried…

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Do you think it's worse to try and fail or not try at all? How is your answer justified?

On the hand of trying and failing, you know you wouldn't have succeeded, but at the same time you've blown your given opportunity. On the other hand of not trying at all, you keep your chance but never find out what the outcome would be. Which is better?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Depends on the situation. If the benefits of succeeding outweigh the consequences of failing, then it's worth it. Personally I've found that lots of times people are afraid to take chances even when there's no real consequences to failing, because they're afraid of the failure itself. In other words, failure isn't something to fear. You should fear the consequences of failure, but not failure itself.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
As you go through life you're going to continually experience circumstances and run across people that try to take the wind of your sails. There will always be "haters" who will be against you. When a person can't do something, they want to see others not be able to do it. It helps them deal with their emotion of failure. Michael Jordan failed in high School not making his sophomore basketball team, he turned out to be one of the best basketball players of all time! Thomas Edison failed thousands of time when creating the light bulb before it finally worked. "If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"

We should try not to fail of course, but when we do we should pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and keep moving forward. Today ay not be our day, but tomorrow could be.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
As you go through life you're going to continually experience circumstances and run across people that try to take the wind of your sails. There will always be "haters" who will be against you. When a person can't do something, they want to see others not be able to do it. It helps them deal with their emotion of failure. Michael Jordan failed in high School not making his sophomore basketball team, he turned out to be one of the best basketball players of all time! Thomas Edison failed thousands of time when creating the light bulb before it finally worked. "If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"

We should try not to fail of course, but when we do we should pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and keep moving forward. Today ay not be our day, but tomorrow could be.

Your quote is slightly off. He said, "I did not fail. I've just found one thousand ways that won't work."

As for the question on hand, regardless of the situation, it is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all. Failure builds character, and helps us grow. If we looked at every situation and tried to thing if it was worth it, then how are we really growing? If you have enough time to stop and think about it, then its already too late.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

that quote sums up my views on this

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I think trying and failing is a good thing. Perfection can only come from failures. You need to fail to learn in life. If you never try, you'll never learn.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
As long as trying and failing doesn't put your life in any danger or you in harms way, then I'm inclined to believe that its better to try and fail than to not try at all. Despite the discouragement that may come from failing, failing itself is something that resonates within someone and often inspires them to do better and to reflect on their mistakes and ultimately on them as individuals. It can become a moment of clarity in someone's life and a life lesson that they'll draw back on as they better themselves in the future.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
If you don't try,you will never know..so try and fail cuz then you will tell yourself "at least I tried"..and who knows,you might not fail! ..as long as you can ..Do your best for whatever you aim for and have the pleasure of trying that wondering for the rest of your life..."What if I did tried!,I wish I tried" *shrugs*

Years
Do you think it's worse to try and fail or not try at all? How is your answer justified?
I'd say that it's better to try and fail than not trying at all - if you don't try something you will feel guilty in the end knowing that you could've tried something but you didn't.

On the hand of trying and failing, you know you wouldn't have succeeded, but at the same time you've blown your given opportunity. On the other hand of not trying at all, you keep your chance but never find out what the outcome would be. Which is better?
First one is better in my opinion - At least you know the outcome.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
Trying and putting in effort is rarely a bad thing; as long as no harm can come of it to you or anyone else.

If it's potentially harmful, it might be wise to assess just how risky/harmful it is before doing it, and then of course, prepare as carefully as possible if there is such a risk in play!

Though of course, without taking risks, a lot of great things wouldn't have happened! I'm very much an advocate of putting in effort, and I'd like to think I approach things with a good work ethic!

Years
Well. We only have so much time, money, and energy to devote to our work, relationships, ect.

Trying to invest in too many interests, or too much into one interests can have its drawbacks based on the situations. Likewise, not investing in enough substantive interests can be a waste of that energy, and thus, missed opportunity. "You have nothing to lose" is not always so clearly defined. Especially to those that have pursued business ventures and careers in the arts, there are high risks involved.

Back