• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Interest in programming on the GBA? (Not ROM hacking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Is there any interest here for programing on the GBA using DevkitArm?

I am currently writing an E-book on setting up a full GBA development environment. I plan on posting it here when it is done. The possibilities are endless.

A great example is the engine jambo51 has started. I helped him set up a development environment and he is coding away.

http://pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14443-Jambo51-s-Homebrew-Pok-mon-Engine

So is this type of thing something people would be interested in? Please let me know your thoughts and opinions?

This is not ROM hacking.
This is not a programming project.

What I am working on is an E-book on setting up programs for programing for the Game Boy Advance from scratch.
The book will cover things like setting up DevkitARM, setting up Eclipse, doing source level debugging and so on.

Any more stupid questions?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Is this project basically about making a brand new GBA game? An incomplete game, obviously (i.e. no maps or anything defined), but with a functioning custom-made engine which can have maps and trainers and items thrown onto it to make a game with?

Sounds interesting.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Wow, this sound very interesting! :D Sounds cool. ;)
Since I'm a programming student, this pumps my blood going {XD}

Keep it up!

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Is this project basically about making a brand new GBA game? An incomplete game, obviously (i.e. no maps or anything defined), but with a functioning custom-made engine which can have maps and trainers and items thrown onto it to make a game with?

Sounds interesting.

No. What I am working on is an E-book on setting up an environment for programming for the GBA. People will be able to make their own engine like Jambo51 is doing.

Wow, this sound very interesting! :D Sounds cool. ;)
Since I'm a programming student, this pumps my blood going {XD}

Keep it up!
Awesome. I'm hoping to be done by new years.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Ah yes, okay. But it is about making a GBA game from scratch, rather than hacking an existing game, correct?

This would certainly qualify as game development, and I for one wouldn't ever have thought about making a game for the GBA (because when you think "GBA" you think "hacking"). I look forward to seeing your e-book.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Ah yes, okay. But it is about making a GBA game from scratch, rather than hacking an existing game, correct?

This would certainly qualify as game development, and I for one wouldn't ever have thought about making a game for the GBA (because when you think "GBA" you think "hacking"). I look forward to seeing your e-book.
Yes it is. Hence why the first post says using DevkitARM and the title of the thread includes (Not ROM hacking).

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
He's basically making a homebrew application on the GBA. This for example is a really good resource to get started.

I've thought about doing homebrew stuff on the GBA but I haven't really had the time and the motive to build there, been focusing on higher level stuff. It's a really good introduction to how the low level processing works. Are you doing most of it in assembly or C?

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
He's basically making a homebrew application on the GBA. This for example is a really good resource to get started.

I've thought about doing homebrew stuff on the GBA but I haven't really had the time and the motive to build there, been focusing on higher level stuff. It's a really good introduction to how the low level processing works. Are you doing most of it in assembly or C?
You are way off. What I am working on is a guide on how to get setup to do programming for the GBA.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
It sounds handy for the ones who are dependent on Homebrew, to make Console games.
In fact, I would only wish Nintendo would release a similar guide for the Nintendo 3DS platform, because now I have to deal with the Sample Demo's they give, and basically base everything on these.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
It's gonna be a bit till I release this. It's almost done but I am very busy with classes this semester.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Not gonna lie, I've been kind of fantasizing about making an "ultimate PokeDex" out of a customized GBA SP (in red, of course) that has all the PokeDex info for all the gens in it for years now; I just don't have an SP and the stuff for GBA homebrew and hadn't gotten around to learning how to code for GBA. XD So I'm looking forward to seeing this guide.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Why limit yourself to the GBA? You can make cross-platform applications with next to no limitations easily. I don't see why one would like to restrict themselves to the GBA hardware unless it's for learning purposes. For anyone wondering, programming a Pokemon game for the GBA wouldn't be any easier and if anything, it would be harder.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Not gonna lie, I've been kind of fantasizing about making an "ultimate PokeDex" out of a customized GBA SP (in red, of course) that has all the PokeDex info for all the gens in it for years now; I just don't have an SP and the stuff for GBA homebrew and hadn't gotten around to learning how to code for GBA. XD So I'm looking forward to seeing this guide.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Why limit yourself to the GBA? You can make cross-platform applications with next to no limitations easily. I don't see why one would like to restrict themselves to the GBA hardware unless it's for learning purposes. For anyone wondering, programming a Pokemon game for the GBA wouldn't be any easier and if anything, it would be harder.

There is a coolness factor in making something that will actually work on a gaming system. Also with all the emulators out there GBA is pretty much multi-platform.

Years
So, even if this does work as well as I can envision... How would you get it on a official cartridge. you can probably buy these on ebay, but still... I thought game companys had an official method back in the day for this with some high-tech machine or something... xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back