The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old August 24th, 2013 (08:38 PM).
Aruaruu

Wait. What game are you trying to apply this to?
Old August 24th, 2013 (11:13 PM). Edited August 25th, 2013 by pawell6.
pawell6
The truthseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruaruu View Post
Wait. What game are you trying to apply this to?
Pokemon Fire Red. Well it's been modified version with physical/special split patch.

Edit: The same thing happens when applying to clean rom.
Old August 25th, 2013 (12:54 AM). Edited August 25th, 2013 by Aruaruu.
Aruaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawell6 View Post
Pokemon Fire Red. Well it's been modified version with physical/special split patch.
I don't know then..I am using Emerald.

----

I think I found a bug.
After the credits you select what colo(u)r pokemon was seen on TV to choose what Lati twin you want. Choosing either of them "freezes" the game. Music continues to play though. I made sure this wasn't just something else I did to the ROM. I tested it on previous backups and finally a clean ROM. Still freezes if this asm is applied to it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I recall reading that the Pokemon's(Latios/Latias) IVs and such are created when you select either RED/BLUE. Could the 33rd slot be affecting this or is that out of the question now?
Old August 25th, 2013 (06:58 PM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Updated the method. It now is inserted during code that is used only when loading trainers- this means wild pokemon and event mons should be unaffected. It also means you don't have to worry about the 33rd slot- it can be treated like any other. This should also fix the issue with the Latis.

Note that the adjustment means that the method now only works for trainers with custom movesets and items.

Pawell6, I honestly don't know what's going on with your ROM- try the new method and see if it works? It sounds like the initial loading of the IV values didn't get changed properly, as that would explain why you have fewer spreads, but if you did what you said you did it should probably work.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old August 25th, 2013 (09:15 PM). Edited August 25th, 2013 by Aruaruu.
Aruaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
Updated the method. It now is inserted during code that is used only when loading trainers- this means wild pokemon and event mons should be unaffected. It also means you don't have to worry about the 33rd slot- it can be treated like any other. This should also fix the issue with the Latis.

Note that the adjustment means that the method now only works for trainers with custom movesets and items.
That is great. Thanks for this.
EDIT: It has indeed fixed the lati issue.
Old August 26th, 2013 (01:59 AM).
pawell6
The truthseeker

I tested with the new method and everything works fine now . Thanks for help.
Old August 26th, 2013 (07:53 AM). Edited August 26th, 2013 by Agastya.
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

Nature: Quiet
I made a Nightmare table to make it easier to edit EV spreads.

You may need to edit EV Hack Module.nmm depending on where you dumped the EV spread table.
Just open it in a text editor of your choice and at the start where it says..

Code:
EV Hack EV Spread Table Module
0xF00000
Table Values.txt
NULL
.. change 0xF00000 to wherever you dropped your EV spread table.

The values in Table Values.txt are based off the AI values displayed in A-Trainer. You may add text after the numbers shown if you want to leave a note on what ball to use or what kind of EV spread you put there.

You will obviously need Nightmare to use this. If you don't have Nightmare 1, you'll have to settle for Nightmare 2.
Old August 26th, 2013 (08:59 AM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

I updated the method again. It now allows for custom natures. Because this works by changing the personality value and trainer ID, it is very likely to disagree with shiny hacks- you should be able to get around this by not using spreads with defined natures for shiny trainer pokemon though.

Physical/Special Split
Old August 27th, 2013 (06:46 PM).
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
So does this mean, without custom movesets and items, trainers will just have the normal IV spread? or do trainers now have to use custom movesets and items? To be honest it's not a big deal, because you can even make the trainer hold useless items and give them their default level moves.

Great hack! Keeps getting better and better.
Old August 27th, 2013 (07:46 PM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
So does this mean, without custom movesets and items, trainers will just have the normal IV spread? or do trainers now have to use custom movesets and items?
The former. And as you mentioned, you can just manually plug in default or bad sets and let them hold nothing, they just have to use the custom moves+custom items data type. I think I know how to fix this though- I'll see if I can squeeze some time in tomorrow to take a look at it.

Physical/Special Split
Old August 28th, 2013 (01:06 AM). Edited September 1st, 2013 by MrDollSteak.
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
The former. And as you mentioned, you can just manually plug in default or bad sets and let them hold nothing, they just have to use the custom moves+custom items data type. I think I know how to fix this though- I'll see if I can squeeze some time in tomorrow to take a look at it.
Awesome this is really great. One of the most exciting hacks I've seen/used recently. I honestly
havent been psyched about a new thing since a) the PSS b) Day/Night Wild Pokemon Switching.

Great job! Had you already had this in YAFRH? Or are you adding it now for Lunatic Mode?
Old August 30th, 2013 (11:18 PM).
SBird

One more thing i dear to ask: May it be possible to determine a custom ability for a pokémon?

~SBird
Old September 13th, 2013 (01:15 AM).
saintdraco

Can anyone confirm that the custom natures work? I haven't been able to notice much of a difference, but it seems that the gender of the trainers pokemon change according to the nature value. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not, the IVs and EVs seem to be working though.
Old September 13th, 2013 (04:53 AM).
Aruaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintdraco View Post
Can anyone confirm that the custom natures work? I haven't been able to notice much of a difference, but it seems that the gender of the trainers pokemon change according to the nature value. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not, the IVs and EVs seem to be working though.
Dunno about natures but genders of pokemon have changed.
Old February 3rd, 2014 (09:46 PM).
The Zororoaster

T"o assign an EV spread to a trainer's pokemon, set the value that was formerly their IVs to which slot in the table you want that pokemon to use. If you are using A-Trainer, this value is erroneously marked as AI Value."

So are you saying that increasing AI Value in A-Trainer doesn't actually improve the AI? It only affects IVs? Is there any way to improve AI then?
Old February 3rd, 2014 (10:44 PM).
Aruaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zororoaster View Post
T"o assign an EV spread to a trainer's pokemon, set the value that was formerly their IVs to which slot in the table you want that pokemon to use. If you are using A-Trainer, this value is erroneously marked as AI Value."

So are you saying that increasing AI Value in A-Trainer doesn't actually improve the AI? It only affects IVs? Is there any way to improve AI then?
I think this controls the AI.
worst = 0 best = 7 or something like that.
Spoiler:
Old February 5th, 2014 (08:33 PM).
The Zororoaster

Quote:
I think this controls the AI.
worst = 0 best = 7 or something like that.
Spoiler:
Thanks! That is actually really, really important information. There should be some sort of announcement made about that. You just saved me a lot of time.

Also, this script is really cool, simple, and useful. It can easily change the gameplay of any hack. Thank you for making and sharing, Doesn't.
Old April 14th, 2014 (10:48 PM). Edited April 17th, 2014 by SinisterHoodedFigure.
SinisterHoodedFigure

Would an ev asm that works for emerald also work for Ruby? I am planning to make a simple Ruby difficulty hack with only 202 pokemon found in hoenn available, as opposed to the 386 emerald and firered/leafgreen hacks out there, and I wanted to give this a try.

I also noticed something about the level 7 AI in ruby, they never uses moves like encore or mud sport no matter how much I try, is that specific to the lower AIs? First time actually trying to hack third gen.

EDIT: yea, its level 5 that allows their pokemon to use encore sometimes, as well as certain pokemon using pain split, while at the same time, the enemies will use stronger moves like the level 7 AIs. Though the level 5 AI won't use status moves or protect as much.

But yeah, I'm really bad at asm, and the trainer ev spread asm routine is a work of genius when making a more difficult pokemon hack, which I commend you for it. (I was curious a long time ago in how to implement that in my first gen hacks myself, until I was told that that was impossible.)
Old May 9th, 2014 (12:58 AM).
mamamama

Suggestion:

If you are still working on this Doesn't, it would be really nice to use those filler bytes to be able to shift between abilities of the AI's Pokemon. Currently, the AI always gets Ability 1.

I was also going to suggest to use them to control the happiness of the AI's Pokemon, but I'm not sure how the AI handles the BP of Return and Frustration.
Old May 9th, 2014 (06:44 AM). Edited May 9th, 2014 by DoesntKnowHowToPlay.
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

That's actually really easy to add and I thought I put it in here earlier- just put the following in the middle of the other loads:

Code:
LoadAbility:
lsl r0, r6, #0x4
ldr r2, .EV_Table
add r2, r0
add r2, #0xC
mov r1, #0x2E
mov r0, r4
bl Insert_Element
This maps ability to the byte 0xC, the first of the last four unused bytes.

Happiness requires passing InsertElement x20 in r1, and should be easy enough for you to add yourself, but I don't advise it as the AI isn't very smart about using Return and Frustration anyway.

Physical/Special Split
Old May 9th, 2014 (08:09 AM).
Aruaruu

I once read that pokemon in the battle frontier all have zero happiness so maybe it applies to the main game too? Or perhaps they have base values of the pokemon used?
Old May 10th, 2014 (01:50 AM).
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

they default to 0 happiness, yes. if something needs stab return, you should opt to use frustration unless you hate it for flavor reasons.
Old June 22nd, 2014 (04:44 AM). Edited June 23rd, 2014 by Aruaruu.
Aruaruu

Sorry to bump this thread, but I think I found another problem.

I have recently been playing through the battle pyramid to test some new team I gave the brain there. The opponents first pokemon had slightly higher speed than my one, and without any speed related items or +/- priority moves, it moved last always.
It turns out that it was due to the IVs of this pokemon being 31, which was also the slot number that had a speed reducing nature assigned to it. I tried removing the EV hack and it worked as it should. Would it be possible to make it not conflict with the battle frontier and other battle facilities?

EDIT:
Alright well I didn't think of just using some EV spreads I already made before and giving them to the frontier brains to get around this little issue, but I guess it may be able to affect the random trainers in the frontier still.
EDIT2:
It also appear to mess with the stats of Steven's pokemon during the double battle event at Mossdeep. Even though the changes it causes are minor (1-3 points,) thought I should note it anyway.
Guess I should try to test some more things too.
Old July 3rd, 2014 (05:54 AM).
Phenom2122

Quote:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I think I found another problem.

I have recently been playing through the battle pyramid to test some new team I gave the brain there. The opponents first pokemon had slightly higher speed than my one, and without any speed related items or +/- priority moves, it moved last always.
It turns out that it was due to the IVs of this pokemon being 31, which was also the slot number that had a speed reducing nature assigned to it. I tried removing the EV hack and it worked as it should. Would it be possible to make it not conflict with the battle frontier and other battle facilities?

EDIT:
Alright well I didn't think of just using some EV spreads I already made before and giving them to the frontier brains to get around this little issue, but I guess it may be able to affect the random trainers in the frontier still.
EDIT2:
It also appear to mess with the stats of Steven's pokemon during the double battle event at Mossdeep. Even though the changes it causes are minor (1-3 points,) thought I should note it anyway.
Guess I should try to test some more things too.
Is this not a fairly concerning issue? If I get this correctly, it means that any trainer in the game that has pokemon with IVs will be affected? So half of these EV spreads will be used up redoing all the battle frontier teams and some others with IVs?
Old July 3rd, 2014 (08:40 AM).
Aruaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom2122 View Post
Is this not a fairly concerning issue? If I get this correctly, it means that any trainer in the game that has pokemon with IVs will be affected? So half of these EV spreads will be used up redoing all the battle frontier teams and some others with IVs?
It will only take 36 slots or so for the brains spreads, maybe even less because of using other spreads you already made. That is minus the Factory Head's team since it cannot be changed.

It is not that concerning. It is just a nitpick.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links