• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Comparing HG/SS to G/S/C

ObnoxiousOboe

The Musical Psychic
Years
Because Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver were developed for the Nintendo DS, they have greater capacities that outrival their GBC counterparts. The soundtrack hasn't changed that much, but because it runs on the DS, the soundfont allowed more instrumentation and more creativity could be put into developing more tracks (i.e. the Ho-oh/Lugia battles, the Safari Zone, and the Legendary Beast variations). The graphics were also a step up from the original 8-bit map. And there were also some changes made to the storyline.

With that being said, what is everyone's favorite feature from the Johto remakes? What do you like about the remakes compared to the originals?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
They did the music a lot differently. They changed the tempo of a lot of the tracks (which they didn't do for the RBY remakes), and they even added some sections. For example, the opening riff for Goldenrod City and the National Park. It's a really nice touch.

Also, the Safari Zone is really good. It allows you to catch a ton of different Pokemon that you normally wouldn't find in Johto.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I really liked the Pokéathlon feature, where you play mini-games with your Pokémon. It was extremely fun, and a great way to kill time. Few of my favorite games were Ring Drop, Snow Throw, and Relay Run. Besides that, I also liked the walking Pokémon feature. Found it to be pretty cute to see my Pokémon following me. :]

Years
The best new feature was the ability to rematch Gym Leaders in the Saffron Dojo. I don't remember that being in the originals, but I could be wrong.
The best new music would be the music in Ecruteak, Bell/Tin Tower and Ho-oh's theme.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The Pokeathlon, the added Safari Zone, the updated graphics and audio and follow me where all aspects of HGSS are just some of my favourite features of the remakes. I particularly loved how they maintained a great sense of nostalgia all throughout the game, despite them being remakes. Such a quality made me feel like I was 9-10 again playing Pokemon Gold which was widly enjoyable. :')

Years
With that being said, what is everyone's favorite feature from the Johto remakes? What do you like about the remakes compared to the originals?
Let me just change that to "What do you like about the originals compared to the remakes?".

The original experience, it's the most important thing for me, despite the remakes being better in almost every way.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
What did I like more in the remakes...
  • Obviously, the graphical enhancements and all new battle mechanics from Gen IV.
  • The soundtrack, even though I'm not a fan of some remixes compared to the originals, Route 29 comes to mind.
  • Some HMs are easier to get because the game tells you they're there (in the original games, HM04 Strength and HM07 Waterfall were very easy to miss)
  • The phone is better: unlimited slots and you can ignore phone calls.
  • Returning Viridian Forest, Seafoam Islands and Cerulean Cave in Kanto.
  • The ability to permanently enable running shoes! Why did they take that out in following games?

What I preferred in the original games:
  • As I've stated before, I don't like some of HG/SS remixes that much.
  • Some dialogues and scenes were changed in the remakes for no reason, and clearly work better in the originals. The two such changes I can think of:
    • The encounter with Mr Pokémon. In the originals, you come in, Mr Pokémon gives you the Egg, Prof Oak notices you, gives you the Pokédex and leaves, Mr Pokémon then suggests you should stay and rest before you head back. In the remakes, you come in, Mr Pokémon gives you the Egg, suggests you stay and rest, you supposedly take a nap, and only then does Prof Oak notice you're there, even though he's been staring in your direction this entire time... what?
    • The appearance of Unown in the Ruins of Alph. In the originals, you fall down, see that the big hall that was full of tourists before is now empty, notice an eerie presence and discover the Unown on your own. In the remakes, after you fall down, a scientist tells you about the Unown right then and there. I know that Unown are common knowledge now, so there's no need for making you wonder what is going on in the Ruins of Alph, but still...
  • I preferred the Head Butt trees mechanic in the originals (only a few trees can be shaken and all trees in the same location give out the same Pokémon) .

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Mainly, the thing that I loved the most about HG/SS compared to G/S/C was the updated graphics. I grew up playing Gen III, and even though I did play Crystal because I wanted to see what Johto was like, it was a lot harder for me to get into Crystal when I was so used to GBA graphics. When HG/SS came out, I was overjoyed, because I'd finally be able to see Johto in full color, so that was definitely my favorite feature.

Another feature I really liked was how, unlike FR/LG, the game didn't try too hard to be EXACTLY like the originals in terms of Pokemon availability. You were allowed to trade over Pokemon from D/P/Pl, so that was definitely a huge plus.

There were some things I didn't like about HG/SS, though... I really disliked most of the remixes in the game. Don't get me wrong, some of them were really good, but for the most part, I prefer the original soundtrack. And, I really hated how GB Sounds wasn't available until the very, very end of the game... I would have much preferred going through from the beginning with the GB Sounds.

I also really dislike the plot with the Kimono Girls and Ho-Oh/Lugia... It felt really forced, and it was obvious that they were trying to shoehorn in the mandatory legendary battle thing that they started in Crystal. I really would have liked it better if it were optional.

Back