• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GoGo's MEGA-HUGE Sappy Tutorial

Did This Tutorial Help You At All?

• Yes

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I Didn't Read It Yet

Votes: 30 29.1%

• Total voters

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
1. So I separated them into 2 tracks. Unfortunately, in sappy, only the first drum track plays. I'm assuming this happens because they are both using the same instrument. How did you get the second track to work?

2. :D

3. I've actually been adding my instruments this whole time, but I'm more than likely doing it wrong. When I IMPORT SAMPLE, it asks me for an import Address. I wasn't clear what we were supposed to put in there, so I went into the instrument number - address thingy you see when editing your voicetable. I use those numbers for the corresponding offset in the import Address. However, it always comes out either monstrously glitchy, or only the piano part plays. So this time I tried something new. I went into Free Space Finder, found some free space, and used THAT as my import Address offset. I then imported the sample, and clicked Edit Voice Table. I found my instrument, and under Address 1 I copied the offset that FSF gave me; the same one I used for the Import Address. To my surprise, my instruments were A LOT LESS GLITCHY. They still didnt sound like actual instruments, but the fact that it kinda helped amazed me. I know I'm doing something wrong, and it has to do with getting my instruments (wav files) into the game. If you could be more specific as to how to import them correctly, that'd be wonderful.

4. Thats AMAZING. It gives me good hope to know that it's possible (:

1: Once you get the drum samples (or use gamefreak's) they'll play.

3: An import address is the offset you're using. Repointing is the same as this. Just use a free offset and keep track of them.

The_Show

Banned
Years
1: Once you get the drum samples (or use gamefreak's) they'll play.

3: An import address is the offset you're using. Repointing is the same as this. Just use a free offset and keep track of them.

1. No, unfortunately still only the first track will play.

3. I have been using the free offsets, but my music still sounds a little glitchy. I'm beginning to think either my wav's are incorrect or i have a buggy version of sappy. The only problem is I've reinstalled everything twice to double check. I'm wondering, should we continue this on PM's? The pro is that it'll take up less space on this forum. The con is: if someone's experiencing the same problems as me, they wouldn't find the solution here if we continued it on PM. Either way, since you are really generous in helping me, I'll leave it up to you.

Years
Help! In the part where you assemble the song I inserted the base offset that has 10000 bytes in FSF and when i press cook it, it says Error #28 "Out of stack space" on line 0:. how can i solve that?

GoGoJJTech

Years
Help! In the part where you assemble the song I inserted the base offset that has 10000 bytes in FSF and when i press cook it, it says Error #28 "Out of stack space" on line 0:. how can i solve that?

Open your s file and copy the data here in code tags

Years
Here's the code
Spoiler:

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
Here's the code
Spoiler:

Well the only thing wrong with your .S file is that you have lavender-town.s as the name. Replace the - with a _ and reassemble. you'll fix it since the - is part of the compiler instead of a name. No special characters except _ and letters guys :D

Years
Well the only thing wrong with your .S file is that you have lavender-town.s as the name. Replace the - with a _ and reassemble. you'll fix it since the - is part of the compiler instead of a name. No special characters except _ and letters guys :D
It still says the error when I removed the "-" and converted it into a .s file. Is there something i'm doing wrong?

Oh okay, thanks I figured it out.

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Okay, Everything seems to work fine except for one thing: Whenever I import a sample wav file to the directsound instrument, it says the instrument is playing in Sappy, but when I solo that instrument, it isn't playing any sound. I changed it's offset to match the .wav file, so it should be playing the organ sound. Any ideas?

GoGoJJTech

Years
Okay, Everything seems to work fine except for one thing: Whenever I import a sample wav file to the directsound instrument, it says the instrument is playing in Sappy, but when I solo that instrument, it isn't playing any sound. I changed it's offset to match the .wav file, so it should be playing the organ sound. Any ideas?

Change the adsr values. Sometimes it won't play sound due to the way it's set up in the values.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Change the adsr values. Sometimes it won't play sound due to the way it's set up in the values.

I tried messing with them, but it didn't change anything. I noticed that when you imported your sample, it said you were inserting a .raw file, but mine said .wav. Does it matter which one it is?

GoGoJJTech

Years
I tried messing with them, but it didn't change anything. I noticed that when you imported your sample, it said you were inserting a .raw file, but mine said .wav. Does it matter which one it is?

Actually, I just screenshotted the import screen without selecting anything at first. It has to be .wav. I think you should import it again, repoint and put 255 0 255 165 as your adsr values.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hmm, in step four (when you are editing the voicetable instrument), where did you get the hex value for "address 1"? Whenever I change my square wave 1 to Direct Sound, the address changes to 0x0000002.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
It has to be the same address as where you put the wav. It changes to 00 00 00 02 probably because that's the current data that's written there.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
Just to double check, when you go Setting > Extra, what is Direct Sound voices limit set to?

GoGoJJTech

Years
Just to double check, when you go Setting > Extra, what is Direct Sound voices limit set to?

It's auto-set to 5, but put it on 12 so it plays like it will in-game. ASSUMING you extended the amount to 12

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
1: Your wav is 6 seconds long.. For what? That's not a sample..
2: Since it's too long it won't play. You should have played the wav on the vid but too late. Just attach it.
3: What video recorder/editor do you use?

1: How do I get a sample? I thought I just had to have a wav file that made all the noises that the instrument made.

2: Attaching...

3: For all my videos on my channel, I use Camtasia Studio 8. Nothing fancy, but it works like a charm :)

Back