Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Roundtable
Reload this Page Ahhhh.... Teen Love.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Roundtable Have a seat at the Roundtable for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old January 12th, 2014 (07:51 PM).
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
Do you think age matters when it comes to love?

I personally think that you can find love at any age. There are people out there who were not even high school sweet hearts. They were more like middle school sweet hearts. However, I think it's harder to find it at such a young age, cause not everyone has fully matured and developed enough. A lot of time people do think they love them, but they are just inexperienced and don't really know what love feels like.

But, I do believe the possibilities are endless and I'm sure you can find love as even a little tocdler (:

Old January 12th, 2014 (09:20 PM).
Working on The Mysterious Meteorite

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to White Raven
Well no. It doesn't. I think that everybody is capable of loving since they were born. It just depends on how sheltered they are.
Old January 12th, 2014 (10:23 PM).
The Lightning Rod of Hate
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
No, it doesn't.

We are all capable of loving from a very early age - but I know you mean romantic love so I'll focus on that.

Yes, it is unlikely to find such a thing as committed romantic love at such a young age but I have been there myself (if you count eighteen as still fitting this category) and I know others who started dating in the midst of high school who are still together over four years later.

So yeah, it's really unlikely but it is clearly possible.
Old January 12th, 2014 (10:47 PM).
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by River Ramirez:
Do you think age matters when it comes to love?
Yeah I think so, at least a little. Obviously the distinction to be made is love for romantic purposes, but it all kinda ties in. And I'm going to take a little different stance than the others here, but when you look at people who are younger, anywhere from childhood to adulthood, often times you find people who don't look for love, but find it. When you're not scrutinizing everyone or searching for that soul mate, you find yourself building an honest relationship that develops into love. That's not to say older people are the opposite, it's just that when you get to that age, you may find yourself "looking" and I think it becomes harder to reach that end conclusion of love.
Old January 13th, 2014 (02:10 AM).
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm highly cynical about "teen love". I used to think I loved girls... But nope, totally got my heart broken, so much of what we think of as love is simply due to hormonal urges for passion. Emotionally it may be the strongest you've ever felt for a person at a particular point at time but this is just a surge, more likely than not it will recede. Uhhh, there is a triangle that explains this:

I think it's almost impossible for teens, not properly matured as they are, to develop all three cornerstones for the foundations of consummate love. And even if you think that way, the chances that the object of your affection feels the same way are so remote that you shouldn't try and get too attached, it will only end in heartbreak.

I think there's something more substantial for strong childhood friendship to blossom into love given the right conditions but trying to find love as a teenager? Forget it. We are but fickle beasts romping around in exciting new world that is puberty. Sure, the experiences we learn will be valuable for finding love as adults but I highly doubt your feelings are genuine, and even if they are it's folly to expect the other person to reciprocate.

Some people marry their high school sweet hearts but from my observation you'd better have been really close friends before puberty, because 9/10 relationships formed on that bumpy trail are not going to be sustainable. I also think Liking>Companionate>Infatuation is the order the relationship should form for both participants to have the best chance of success.

That's just my opinion, I suck at love. I fell in "love" with complete strangers who despised me, mostly due to Infatuation, half the time I could barely convince myself that I even liked them

You may think you're in love, but the truth is your pepe is guilty of convincing your brain of all sorts of heinous lies so it can get what it wants
Old January 13th, 2014 (02:30 AM). Edited January 13th, 2014 by Flourish.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I never actually experienced it.

I agree that age matters when it comes to love, in romantic matters, that is.
I never fell in love before, not once and probably never will, that's what they call "Foreveralone" but that's not how I feel.

An old friend of mine romantically fell in love at the age of 6. His parents said that it might influence his future, I watched and eavesdropped and I slightly agreed with that in my mind.

But don't get me wrong, I actually learned from myself as I watched and listened to what they'd say.
Young people shouldn't really fall in love romantically as their minds are not fully developed or mature as they say.
And teens, huh.. Majority of them are immature and I don't want to discuss about it.
Old January 13th, 2014 (03:51 AM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
Me I dunno I had one girl stalk me last year but that's because I was "flirting" with her and she misread it but I flirt with everyone. I have never fallen in love and when it comes to teen love maybe one of the people in the couple might love the other but maybe not the other one. I don't reckon I will marry a highschool sweetheart because everything I've ever done with girls has always been other during a party or I've just not felt anything of interest in their personality. Love can sprout at any age maybe it remains hidden for a few years but it can happen.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 13th, 2014 (06:35 AM).
Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!

Nature: Relaxed
I believe you can love at any age, love itself has no boundaries. However, when that love turns into sexual actions, age does matter. That's when you need to be mature.

Love is a tricky thing. There are many different kinds of love. The generalality of love, including all the different kinds of love, can be experienced from the day you are born till the day you die.
Old January 30th, 2014 (10:17 PM).
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
I agree, I think one can love at any age. Love is not an emotion that dies when we get older, it stays with us until we die. I think it's gross when an 80 year old dates a 15 year old, but who am I to judge? If they truly love each other then it's fine. Screw societal norms!
Old January 30th, 2014 (10:29 PM).
Flygon

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Skype™ to Sods The Flygon
I personally don't think it matters... look at me, I'm in 8th Grade and I've known my love for over a year now... we really have stuck together
Old February 5th, 2014 (07:21 AM).
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Teens can have deep states of infatuation, but never true romantic commitments to one person. Everything is still in an immature state, including love. I always wondered how couples from high school stick together after 30 years, and in quite successful lives too, while being so dependent on each other. Maybe its cause I never had a steady girlfriend, but I just feel that at that age without one inkling of independence its highly immature to go from your parents to that person, and that's it. You've taken the responsibilities of life together, but still its quite puzzling for me.

#328 Trapinch
Supporter Collab January 2015
Doctor Who Fan Club

Old February 5th, 2014 (07:29 AM).
thug flower lyfe

Nature: Timid
This is one of those cases that really depends on the person. Not all teenagers are going to be mature enough to understand their feelings fully (not even all young adults can either), and others will. I know a couple, still in high school, that has been together for four years. I don't foresee that changing any time soon, but hey, stuff happens.

I myself was in love with someone from age 17 til...I guess now? I'd like to say it has gone away, but I think he'll always have a place in my heart no matter what. That's hard to say, it really is. I've loved him even through a lot of pain he put me through, and that's almost five years of my life. For my age, that is a long time to love someone in that way.
Old February 5th, 2014 (08:51 AM). Edited February 5th, 2014 by The Dark Avenger.
Vengeance is Vine

Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
Psychologist have studied brain development in young adults, and the consensus seems to be that teens' brains are around 80% development. By age 25, the brain is fully-developed. Regions of the brain exhibit most growth involve personality.

Aside from finishing college, we observe lesser and lesser risky behavior between ages 22-26 because of this development. The most rapid change in development in adults.

With that said, teens are not fully developed, their personalities are not developed and therefore cannot know if they are compatible or not. Let alone any issues involving maturity.

Maturity, involves working and/or excelling in school and ultimately discover one's purpose and talents. Treating work and school as a first priority, perhaps tied with family, which would ultimately be the benefactors of work and school achievements.

Teens, largely, don't know for certain, if at all, what they want to do with their lives. Developing a strong relationship requires each person know what they realistically can do with their lives and how that serves some purpose. Without such ambitions, it would seem the relationship is frivolous. (Reasons why many "aspiring" desiring-to-make-it-big-without-working-hard models, actors, singers, comedians, and performers of all types are less likely to maintain long-lasting relationships in comparison to those with serious and purposeful career aspirations.

In the vast vast vast majority of cases, teen romance is nothing more than a learning experience for dating after establishing one's identity. If you are young and think I am wrong, give it a few years and you will look back on your young love in jest, embarrassment, anger, confusion, ect. You will have one of those, "did I really???" moments.

Artwork by Fairy+
Old February 5th, 2014 (12:07 PM).
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Love is possible regardless of age. I think people generally would like to meet their "soulmate" around their prime age, which would be the young adult bracket. For example, I myself thought I was in love with my ex-boyfriend who I was with for nearly 3 years during high school. Didn't work out, but it was a learning experience, showing me what I want in my next partner. That being said, every person you try to maintain a decent relationship with is a self learning experience; you know what you like and dislike. Trying to figure that out can take some time so it's possible to love even at older ages, probably just a little more difficult.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old February 10th, 2014 (07:39 PM).
we can breathe in life
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Well, I'm biased because I've been in love with someone since I was 14, and I'm in my twenties and it's still there. So I tend to believe that you can fall in love with someone no matter whether you're 14, or 40, and understand it well enough. Seems like it's all the same. Probably depends on the person, but you can't help who you love, nor when it happens.

slateport cityanimu tumblrpairygo tumblr
gifs via shadowkorochan on tumblr
[ previously Drew ]
Old February 10th, 2014 (07:56 PM).
The Silver Ninetales

Nature: Impish
I think it's definitely possible to fall in love at any age, though I do think it has more to do with maturity than actual age.

My now-husband and I became friends and then started dating in grade 12 of high school (though I had known who he was since preschool since we'd gone to all the same schools). We knew we loved each other two months into the relationship and knew we wanted to get married after we'd been together 4 months (though we waited until this past august to finally tie the knot).

That said, I also think love is much more than just having giddy, butterfly-like feelings in your stomach. It's not just a constant state of "I love you" and that's it. It's about being able to accept each other's differences, embracing the other person as they are and being willing to work together to make your relationship succeed.

fc: 3110-4261-3923

Old February 11th, 2014 (12:36 AM).
The champ

Nature: Calm
Yeah it matters! Love has also two ways, just liking each other or in a sexual way! And for teens who are under 18, there bodies are still not grown up enough to do to something like that!
and, love in a way that two person just like each other and enjoy talking, having coffee and tea with each other is different! So, it depends on what love are you having!
Old March 10th, 2014 (08:35 AM).

Nature: Calm
I don't think that age matters either - some people find the real love sooner some find it later... It pretty much depends on the person.

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old March 10th, 2014 (04:47 PM).
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Quote originally posted by Aj Harold:
Yeah it matters! Love has also two ways, just liking each other or in a sexual way! And for teens who are under 18, there bodies are still not grown up enough to do to something like that!
and, love in a way that two person just like each other and enjoy talking, having coffee and tea with each other is different! So, it depends on what love are you having!
You are mistaken, physically the body is read for love and intimacy as soon as puberty has been reached. It's the development of the mind that will determine if and when a person is ready for it, not the body. Most are physically ready at age 10-12 (girls usually sooner than boys).

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old March 10th, 2014 (08:09 PM).
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Alessi_sys:
You are mistaken, physically the body is read for love and intimacy as soon as puberty has been reached. It's the development of the mind that will determine if and when a person is ready for it, not the body. Most are physically ready at age 10-12 (girls usually sooner than boys).
Very good point made there! Absolutely agree with this. Literally speaking, bodies are ready once puberty starts, this is especially true for girls and determining whether "true love" can occur at any stage beyond that point because we probably are not mentally ready. Personally, I'm not a believer in the whole concept of "love at first sight" because I feel that individuals have to learn about each other to a certain degree before stating, absolutely, that they are in love with someone. Sure, they might seem like your ideal life partner from first impression, but their personality could potentially change during any time you're together. It's hard to determine completely if you're actually in love with someone because what does "love" mean? It could mean something different to everyone.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old March 10th, 2014 (08:21 PM).
Vengeance is Vine

Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
The brain still grows til about age 25/26, most growth experienced between puberty and mid-20's occurs in the areas that determine or influence personality. Most of this growth is done around the early 20's. One thing to keep in mind.

Also, I'd also say any advice given to me or I have given to others seems to fall on deaf ears. We will all go through the naive teens and early twenties (which I still am). Though I could articulate to someone that a teen romance is likely to not result in anything substantial, and the meaning of love will evolve into something much more dynamic with age, it's really only learned through experience. When that time comes, and you look back in a few years from now and remember...the dark avenger told you so

Artwork by Fairy+
Old March 11th, 2014 (11:00 AM).
Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know

Send a message via Skype™ to Luck Hax
I guess there's a few variables in "will this relationship work or not"

I know of couples that have met from a teenage age and have hit old age together; it does happen, and even though I haven't had such luck myself, I'm not going to undermine or belittle a relationship with people younger than me involved.

There's a couple I know that did have an immature argumentative spree and did break up and end up apart for like six months. They soon realised that they were actually a really good couple and with that time apart and lessons learnt they've become a better couple!

I would say that a good relationship involved both people being consistently happier in each other's company than they would be without each other. Being able to understand each other, being generally compatible in terms of interests and such.

The thing that works AGAINST teenagers; particularly younger ones that perhaps aren't quite sure of themselves and what they like/dislike, is that lack of experience. It's perfectly possible to get it right first time, but that lack of a backlog to refer to doesn't help. There'll be plenty of people getting it wrong and realising that the other person isn't right for them. Possibly a majority.

One point I'm very surprised to not hear about is how more adult relationships can be a clinical affair. I mean that in teenage years, you're not going to be thinking "is this person going to be successful in life are we going to live together well is this practial", you're just often simply looking for a companion as everyone else around you seems to be. Adults can often go for others based on status/income etc... it does happen. Frequently.

Adult romance isn't as carefree or loving. I'd say they're probably a lot more cynical about romance than younger people; and while eventually two adults can have the maturity to click... is it truly a good relationship? Maybe it is. But surely the people who are exceptional finds and exceptional partners have all been taken. It's more likely that people who haven't settled down in their 30s are going to be people that... aren't particularly good with being a partner to someone than someone who's finding love at 16, say.

I'm not writing this in my own favour at all, haha. Someone who can't find the one in their teenage years is going to be stuck with me eventually!
Sarcasm, its what social able people have, you know wen you go out and meet chicks just not on forums 1,000,000 miles away from you and you ask them what color underwear they have. - Aristotle, 355 B.C

me irl
Old March 11th, 2014 (01:19 PM).
In the trunk on Highway 10

My paternal grandparents were married at 18 and 17. They're still married today. Technically, they had an arranged marriage, but the two of them were quite close even before that. On the other hand, my parents didn't meet each other until Dad was 22 and Mum was 21. As for me, I have had a steady girlfriend for nearly a year and a half. She's my second girlfriend - I had my first girlfriend when I was 16. We broke up after three months - it was because we had some conflicting interests.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old March 11th, 2014 (04:03 PM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Community Supporter

I'm pretty chill. Whatever floats your boat. Don't go all Romeo on anyone though. No matter what the age, nobody's worth that.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links