The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial Ace View Post
That's very idealistic of you to believe, but men and women are not created equal, and you can see that in every piece of fabric that holds our society together. Read a history book.
Depends on your definition of "equal". The way I see it, no two human beings are equal period, since every individual is different from another. I think that when people say all men and women are created equal, they mean there's nothing that makes one person "better" than another. Perhaps some people are better at certain things than others, but no one is better or worse than another person overall.
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Introvert
Banned

Being a man means being able to look anybody in the eye and stand up to them regardless of their authoritative status and whatever power they may think they have over you.

To quote a favorite song of mine "I see what you got man it measures in ounces!" In other words no matter how much of a man you might think you are, if you ain't willing to step up and defend what you believe in then you are no man at all.
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Brendan14

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvert View Post
Being a man means being able to look anybody in the eye and stand up to them regardless of their authoritative status and whatever power they may think they have over you.

To quote a favorite song of mine "I see what you got man it measures in ounces!" In other words no matter how much of a man you might think you are, if you ain't willing to step up and defend what you believe in then you are no man at all.
Are you implying that women can't look at an authoritative figure in the eye and stand up to them? Are you saying that doing such an act is a masculine trait? Genuinely asking here so a debate can start ~

Hoh~, men who don't defend themselves don't deserve the right be called a man? That's very controversial. Do you have any reasoning or further explanation for this point of view?
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzahni View Post
Are you implying that women can't look at an authoritative figure in the eye and stand up to them? Are you saying that doing such an act is a masculine trait? Genuinely asking here so a debate can start ~

Hoh~, men who don't defend themselves don't deserve the right be called a man? That's very controversial. Do you have any reasoning or further explanation for this point of view?
And this is why I hate feminists. I never said anything about women, like at all. This thread is about what we think it means to be a man and I gave my definition which is to stand up for yourself and what you believe in regardless of who is standing in front of you.

BlahISuck, perhaps you should change the title of this thread to what does it mean to be a person because apparently talking about our perceptions of what it means to be a man in today's world is misogynistic...lol

Last edited by Introvert; February 10th, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Brendan14

Quote:
And this is why I hate feminists. I never said anything about women, like at all. This thread is about what we think it means to be a man and I gave my definition which is to stand up for yourself and what you believe in regardless of who is standing in front of you.
Hm~ I think you missed my intentions. I was trying to have a discussion/debate, since this is the Discussion & Debates board. What you consider to be "being a man" I might not, and thus we each converse and try to convince the other of our own point of view. That's a debate to my standards.

And not to mention you ignored my second paragraph. .___. I was asking for an explanation, because that point of view intrigues me and I would to understand it better. If you don't want to elaborate, that's fine. But like, can you please expand on your second point? Please?
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzahni View Post
Hm~ I think you missed my intentions. I was trying to have a discussion/debate, since this is the Discussion & Debates board. What you consider to be "being a man" I might not, and thus we each converse and try to convince the other of our own point of view. That's a debate to my standards.

And not to mention you ignored my second paragraph. .___. I was asking for an explanation, because that point of view intrigues me and I would to understand it better. If you don't want to elaborate, that's fine. But like, can you please expand on your second point? Please?
You did get very defensive over my definition of what a man is. You even somehow tried to connect that to me disparaging women in some way. That's classic tumblr feminist behavior, most feminists don't do their cause any favors by getting hysterical over things like this. (those who know me here are probably thinking to themselves "lol look who's talking")

Anyway there isn't much to elaborate on. I simply gave my definition of what I think a man should be. I'll try and compare my belief of what a man is compared to what I think society generally thinks a man should be.

I think most people view a man as someone who can start a family, financially provide for them, maintain a job, stay in shape, be attentive to his wife and kids. Again this isn't everyone's definition of a man but generally speaking I believe most people would give a similar answer if you asked them the same question.

Personally I define a man as someone who simply does whatever they feel the right thing is to do. Which doesn't necessarily mean starting up a family and falling into the typical male gender role just because society expects them too.

And that's not a knock on women in any way. I'm not saying that being a stay at home housewife is what it means to be a woman.

If blahisuck made a thread asking what is the definition of a righteous person (male or female) I would have given the same answer. Because that's how I define a man, as someone who is righteous and sticks up for what they believe in.

Last edited by Introvert; February 10th, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Brendan14

Quote:
You did get very defensive over my definition of what a man is. You even somehow tried to connect that to me disparaging women in some way. That's classic tumblr feminist behavior, most feminists don't do their cause any favors by getting hysterical over things like this. (those who know me here are probably thinking to themselves "lol look who's talking")

Anyway there isn't much to elaborate on. I simply gave my definition of what I think a man should be. I'll try and compare my belief of what a man is compared to what I think society generally thinks a man should be.

I think most people view a man as someone who can start a family, financially provide for them, maintain a job, stay in shape, be attentive to his wife and kids. Again this isn't everyone's definition of a man but generally speaking I believe most people would give a similar answer if you asked them the same question.

Personally I define a man as someone who simply does whatever they feel the right thing is to do. Which doesn't necessarily mean starting up a family because society expects them too.

And that's not a knock on women in anyway. I'm not saying that being a stay at home housewife is what it means to be a woman.

If blahisuck made a thread asking what is the definition of a righteous person (male or female) I would have given the same answer. Because that's how I define a man, as someone who is righteous.
I was just asking questions, not getting defensive. Didn't mean to come across like that. o__o
Also lol Tumblr "feminists".

Ah, doing whatever they feel is the right thing to do. I agree with that. It takes a great deal of confidence to go against the grain, especially in socially taboo areas.

Ohhh you would say the same thing if the title was gender neutral? Lol I misunderstood what you said before then, and quite possibly misread your post. Apologies. But I agree with what you said anything. Just wanted a bit of elaboration so I could really see if I agreed or not. Didn't mean to jibe at your opinion.
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Brendon McCullum
Making johto anime hack.

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendon McCullum
Being a man means, Respecting Women!
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Bestintheworld
Capo de tutti capo

Nature: Naughty
Definition of a man... The true definition of a man is what I see every time I look in the mirror. Introvert I'm sure you can relate since you, like I, stand up for your beliefs.
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestintheworld View Post
Definition of a man... The true definition of a man is what I see every time I look in the mirror. Introvert I'm sure you can relate since you, like I, stand up for your beliefs.
Exactly! If you want the true definition of a man, then look no further than the Pokemon Community Degenerates.

Bestintheworld and myself both exhibit the traits of real men. Integrity, respect, honor, maturity & most important of all righteousness!
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Aj Harold
The champ

Nature: Calm
People ask for this life, but they don't really understand what comes with it. People just see the outside and that looks good - big houses, cars, girls, but you never see how the person is feeling deep down inside. Me personally, being a man, I'm going to feel better displaying all of this and pouring my heart out on each record.
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:51 PM
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
I think that while it is definitely a good thing for a man to be sensitive (I'm kind of sensitive myself), a man should still be able to stand up for himself. I think that women should find a compromise between manliness and sensitivity. Sensitivity only goes so far - it doesn't feel right to be totally submissive. We get women like Kris Jenner who dominate over their men in every single way - she basically emasculated Bruce Jenner. I will NOT be someone's pet. It's already bad when men are doing it to women - it's just as bad when women are doing it to men.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold

Last edited by zakisrage; February 24th, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
I think that while it is definitely a good thing for a man to be sensitive (I'm kind of sensitive myself), a man should still be able to stand up for himself. I think that women should find a compromise between manliness and sensitivity. Sensitivity only goes so far - it doesn't feel right to be totally submissive. We get women like Kris Jenner who dominate over their men in every single way - she basically emasculated Bruce Jenner. I will NOT be someone's pet. It's already bad when men are doing it to women - it's just as bad when women are doing it to men.
Being sensitive doesn't necessarily mean being submissive. When I characterize men as "sensitive," I think of them as individuals who are mindful of the opinions of women, their feelings, etc. to a slightly higher degree than normal men would. That's not saying that men cannot be sensitive or they're completely insensitive, but, in my opinion, there are a handful of them who disregard the perspectives of women. Sensitivity is honestly greatly appreciated regardless of gender, I think, because you're showing that you appreciate others' feelings and treat them with delicacy depending on the situation.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Being a slightly effeminate gay man with a playful nature, I rarely get confused with a "man's man." Personally I think gender roles are largely a human construct and are largely irrelevant in today's society. Although I do believe that there is a growing instance of male discrimination taking place. It seems the more male you are perceived to be, the less opportunities may become available to you. Whereas historically the reverse used to be true. Interesting how that happens.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Dominick AKA Dom

Nothing. You are who you are... It deepens on the ethics in the place you're living in.

Over here you are a man if you masturabate and tell others, if you act like a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ punk and hear "eastern" Israeli-Arabian music. WHICH IS CRAP. [I'm from israel]

The whole being a man thing is of the past, when men controlled everything. It doesn't matter anymore, you need to be A GOOD PERSON.

Writer.
I like fire type pokemon~ And Pichu&Pickachu.

Seeking for hackers who are willing to help me~
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick AKA Dom View Post
Nothing. You are who you are... It deepens on the ethics in the place you're living in.

Over here you are a man if you masturabate and tell others, if you act like a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ punk and hear "eastern" Israeli-Arabian music. WHICH IS CRAP. [I'm from israel]

The whole being a man thing is of the past, when men controlled everything. It doesn't matter anymore, you need to be A GOOD PERSON.
When you speak of ethics, are you saying that there's a right or wrong way of being a man? Because from my understanding, and correct if I'm wrong, ethics encompasses the principle of individuals' morality, and by applying that to your statement, I would assume you're trying to isolate that being a man has a right and wrong way. Cultural values do differ from one another, and I believe there are some that look down upon masturbation as being a form of release, for lack of a better word. Let's assume for a minute that there are values shared universally across all cultures, or rather the differences are non-existent, what would be the definition of a "man" then?

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessi_sys View Post
Being a slightly effeminate gay man with a playful nature, I rarely get confused with a "man's man."
Not to pick on what you said but since you mentioned it, you've brought an interesting point to mind: what is our definition of femininity and masculinity to begin with?

Everyone here seems to be talking about defying "set" gender roles and what have you but there seems to be some innate understanding of "man" and "woman" (beyond biological differences) -- you point this out yourself by calling yourself an "effeminate man". How much of this understanding is instinctual and how much is cultural?

Whatever our answer may be, I think our obsession with political correctness has muddled what exactly it is we're fighting for in the first place.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM
elheroeoscuro
The Mad Blogger. ♞

Nature: Calm
Just thought I'd share this documentary trailer considering it relates a lot to this discussion. It looks into masculinity itself in young kids and how it's forced on them. I honestly can't wait for the documentary to come out, it seems very interesting to a growing issue in our society.

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudSilence View Post
Not to pick on what you said but since you mentioned it, you've brought an interesting point to mind: what is our definition of femininity and masculinity to begin with?

Everyone here seems to be talking about defying "set" gender roles and what have you but there seems to be some innate understanding of "man" and "woman" (beyond biological differences) -- you point this out yourself by calling yourself an "effeminate man". How much of this understanding is instinctual and how much is cultural?

Whatever our answer may be, I think our obsession with political correctness has muddled what exactly it is we're fighting for in the first place.
The concept of the roles of the sexes is purely cultural. When I describe myself as a slightly effeminate man, I do so inaccurately, because I am not of the belief that any single label can accurately describe a person. Or even a set of labels for that matter. However, because we as humans are always looking for patterns in things, we tend to ascribe certain attributes to ourselves to help others understand us.

It's really all a matter of perception, I think. Both how we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us based on our mannerisms and outward appearances.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:15 PM
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
Being sensitive doesn't necessarily mean being submissive. When I characterize men as "sensitive," I think of them as individuals who are mindful of the opinions of women, their feelings, etc. to a slightly higher degree than normal men would. That's not saying that men cannot be sensitive or they're completely insensitive, but, in my opinion, there are a handful of them who disregard the perspectives of women. Sensitivity is honestly greatly appreciated regardless of gender, I think, because you're showing that you appreciate others' feelings and treat them with delicacy depending on the situation.
I actually think it's a good thing for men to be sensitive and men should respect women. But I don't like men who let women control every aspect of their lives.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:02 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
When it comes to gender I think one should let a child play as either the traditional forms, or otherwise. I don't think it's good to restrict a male child or a female child from playing a certain way, or acting a certain way simply due to their biological sex.

Also...I've noticed that this question tends to be asked about men a lot...but not so much on what it "means to be a women" is talked about.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here