• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Inserting tiles without replacing.

Kenny1

On a break from Rom hacking, to improve other skil
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Tile Inserting​

Hello today i am going to teach you how to insert tiles without replacing the originals.
Unfortunately this is a bit buggy if youre lazy, it takes a lot of effort and determination.
If you lack this turn back now.

So lets begin, shall we?
What you will need:
Spoiler:

Phase 1 (Indexing tiles)
Spoiler:

Phase 2 (Syncing AM's and IV's paletts)
Spoiler:

Phase 3 (Preparing to insert tiles)
Spoiler:

if anything goes wrong please pm me the problem aswell as a description of what is wrong. I'll update this someday again and add pics, maybe show you how to replace old tiles

Last edited:
Years
Thank you very much! But how to make those index tiles appear similar to the origin tiles , you know when indexing the image, the color looks horrible...

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
When they have the wrong colors after indexing it means they had to many colors to begin with, try using tiles with the same colors.

Donut

Spriter
Years
I basically got screwed over at the end. I hope our future advanced technology can make it so that we can just make it so we can import an image and it converts it to all multiple 8 rgb's and the lets us use it as a tile. :)

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
I basically got screwed over at the end. I hope our future advanced technology can make it so that we can just make it so we can import an image and it converts it to all multiple 8 rgb's and the lets us use it as a tile. :)
Now I hope not... Seriously most hacks are looking cool because of graphics XD thats what I here...
But That would make people lazy :P In reality tile insertation is easier than it seems

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017

hey sure the way i used to sync the palettes is a LONG process, but i warned you in the beginning that you would need patience, trial and error.

Now I hope not... Seriously most hacks are looking cool because of graphics XD thats what I here...
But That would make people lazy :P In reality tile insertation is easier than it seems

You are right, it is easy if you have patience

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
hey sure the way i used to sync the palettes is a LONG process, but i warned you in the beginning that you would need patience, trial and error.

You are right, it is easy if you have patience
As some n00b who could not insert tiles i went to someone who could do it in 30 minutes then 5 minutes... Patience ^___^

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
So does that means I can insert new palettes without replacing the original one?

Yeah kinda, that tileset will kinda have it's own personal set of 12 palettes, for itself.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2014
This is gooood.
I always hated those few blocks on the top of already existing tilesets, takin up all the space...
There's no bugs or glitches encountered after inserting a couple of new tilesets ye? Seeing as it assigns new offsets and whatnot.

rom hunter

tongue-tied
Years
I tried the steps in the tutorial but its giving me "palette is missing" error. I was bit confused about the last part (phase 3 - part 2 onwards). I didn't quite got what I am supposed to paste on what. What I did was I pasted tiles from my palette-adjusted tileset to the in-built tileset (palette with rgb adjustments) saved as dib file. When I tried to load this merged tileset file I got the error.

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
I tried the steps in the tutorial but its giving me "palette is missing" error. I was bit confused about the last part (phase 3 - part 2 onwards). I didn't quite got what I am supposed to paste on what. What I did was I pasted tiles from my palette-adjusted tileset to the in-built tileset (palette with rgb adjustments) saved as dib file. When I tried to load this merged tileset file I got the error.

You open the tileset you saved in A-Map,
then you copy your indexed tiles across.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021
Yeah kinda, that tileset will kinda have it's own personal set of 12 palettes, for itself.

SO i can have in the end more than 12 palettes for the whole game?
Sorry if the question sounds dumb but this would be total great.

Kenny1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
SO i can have in the end more than 12 palettes for the whole game?
Sorry if the question sounds dumb but this would be total great.
Kinda, the tileset you create can be used on any map, but only one tileset per map, the GBA can only
Display 16 palettes at one time, 12 for tiles, and the rest are other things, like textboxes.

Back