The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
acatfrommars
PC fanatic!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
According to Merriam Webster's dictionary:

Quote:
Euthanasia: the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy.
Right now over 200 citizens in Belgium are protesting Euthanasia for children.
Quote:
Around 200 people demonstrated in Brussels on Sunday against a proposed law that would legalize euthanasia for children in Belgium, expected to be voted on in the senate in the coming weeks. If approved, children suffering unbearable physical pain in the terminal phases of a disease could request euthanasia, provided their parents give their consent. Belgium is among the first countries to introduce euthanasia, having legalized it for adults in 2002.
Source

Debates on euthanasia have been going on for the last 50 years I'd say. In anatomy, I remember reading about the case of Anthony Bland in 1993. He had laid in a vegetative state for over a year, and the doctors had still not decided to pull the plug. He died soon after. What is your stance on Euthanasia? At what age do you think someone should have the plug pulled? As advanced as technology has become, today doctors are able to pull people out of these states but it is still almost impossible. If someone is in a vegetated state for over a year I believe that it is time for them to go. They are so far out of their mind that there is probably no coming back. It's a sad fact of life.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
GOALS
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
lozzop

Nature: Quirky
I agree with you, after a certain amount of time people will just be living in pain. Only if they consent to it though, and if they can't consent to it then there close family should consent to it first. We're actually studying euthanasia in my RE classes, we're watching A Short Stay in Switzerland soon. But yes I agree, euthanasia should be an available option, it should definitely be legalised to. The choice lies with the person who is being affected overall, the law and other people's non tolerance of their ethical choices has no place, they probably wouldn't choose euthanasia unless it was the only remaining option.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
My principle and perspective on situations such as living a life of suffering versus knowing when it's time to pass on, I lean towards the argument that euthanasia should be voluntary rather than involuntary. Human beings, or patients in this case, should have the option to choose to pull the plug, like lozzop mentioned. I honestly do not see the point in trying to keep someone alive for the sake of having their physical presence still exist. My sister often tells me of hospital patients that are operated on and then pass away a short time later. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but what's the point in trying to keep a patient alive when they are already due? This point of view basically stems from my stance on overpopulation; the elderly are living longer than they used to and we have technological advancements that make that possible.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Brendan14

Nature: Serious
What is your stance on Euthanasia?
This is a tricky thing to answer. I'm going to assume you're talking about situations where the patient is literally living off machinery. That is, without being hooked up to machinery, they'd be dead. In these kinds of situations, I think it's okay to "pull the plug". What's the point of using all that time and energy on someone who is not going to get better? I know that's a harsh thing to say, but it's what I think.

For situations where it could go either way (recovery to the point that the machines aren't need to live or need machines to live for the rest of your life)... I don't know, to be honest. I mean, a life is invaluable, and nothing changes that, but keeping someone alive permanently in need of machinery seems pointless to me. But if that life could change and live without the machinery... I don't want to pull the plug so to speak, since there's a chance, but again I don't want to go back on what I say about sustaining such a forced life is pointless. So I don't know. :\

At what age do you think someone should have the plug pulled?
I don't understand this question. It doesn't matter if they're a kid or a pensioner: if they're living off life support (umg I forgot this word in the previous question) and there's no hope of them making any recovery, pull the plug.

Last edited by Brendan14; February 7th, 2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Colours tags.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Sopheria
Fight Like A Girl
Community Supporter

I think it should be an option, as long as the person consents. I mean, who are we to say what decisions people should make with their lives (including end it)? I don't agree with the idea, since there's always something you can do to make your life better, but if someone really feels that bad, then the person's choice should be respected.

But, I don't agree with cutting people off life support. The only person who should be allowed to decide whether or not someone will die is the person in question.
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Togfan
Decently-behaving Anime Girl

Nature: Calm
I'm for the legalization of euthanasia with the person's consent. I find it hypocritical and unmoralistic to put down animals to "prevent pain", when you cannot do the same with humans. Besides, someone whose life is only laying in a bed knowing you'll die eventually--I don't blame them for rather wanting to die quickly.
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Jude Mathis
[ counting stars ]
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I agree with Togfan.

We can put down animals who are old, suffering, and in pain, but not people - just because they're people. I think that it's cruel to force a person in that condition to stay alive until they die on their own, if it's hopeless for them and doctors can do nothing to save them. Likewise, if someone is a vegetable for a year or more, they're likely not going to wake up. I know it's happened, but it's a slim chance, and I believe in that case sometimes it's better to let them go. Why put yourself through years and years of waiting and hoping for someone whose proven brain dead to wake up? It's just suffering for family and friends, without being able to move on.

For kids, I hate for doctors to give up on children, but same as for adults, if they're dying and in pain, I still think it's cruel to keep them alive for it. x__x If I had a child that was going through something like that, I'd not want them to die, because a child pretty much becomes your world. However, seeing them suffer pointlessly would be horrible, and I'd feel so bad for them.
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Baskerville View Post
I agree with Togfan.

We can put down animals who are old, suffering, and in pain, but not people - just because they're people. I think that it's cruel to force a person in that condition to stay alive until they die on their own, if it's hopeless for them and doctors can do nothing to save them. Likewise, if someone is a vegetable for a year or more, they're likely not going to wake up. I know it's happened, but it's a slim chance, and I believe in that case sometimes it's better to let them go. Why put yourself through years and years of waiting and hoping for someone whose proven brain dead to wake up? It's just suffering for family and friends, without being able to move on.

For kids, I hate for doctors to give up on children, but same as for adults, if they're dying and in pain, I still think it's cruel to keep them alive for it. x__x If I had a child that was going through something like that, I'd not want them to die, because a child pretty much becomes your world. However, seeing them suffer pointlessly would be horrible, and I'd feel so bad for them.
I guess friends and family just like them being physically there and they're afraid of what would happen after they do put them, people and pets, down.

My friend has a similar situation with their family member. And they mentioned that their grandmother believed that she's lived her life to the fullest. But living life to the fullest could mean something different to everyone. Not everyone has the same ambitions and dreams as someone else so it's hard for family to make those judgments themselves. In my opinion, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone who opposes the whole euthanasia issue, I think families who don't believe it in come off with a sense of selfishness. That's not to say that I'm a cruel person and want people's physical existence to be wiped from the Earth. I try to rationalize both perspectives and often times I find myself siding with that of the suffering individual's.

Old February 10th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Jude Mathis
[ counting stars ]
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I do the same. I had to watch my grandpa die pretty slowly from terminal cancer, and it was awful, and by the time he passed I was just glad he wasn't suffering anymore. :/ So that experience kinda set my views as far as euthanasia goes.
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

D: I'm sorry to hear that! I'm sure your grandfather is in a better place now, despite what other people might think. Nobody knows what is best for a person except themselves. I've never personally been through a situation regarding medical practices, but I'd assume it's heartbreaking seeing somebody close to you hooked up to multiple machines and family desperately trying to hang on to what's left.

Old February 11th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Hmmm. Euthanasia is infinitely more palatable when the patient is suffering from a painful, terminal illness. I wouldn't have a problem with that, especially when you can get meaningful consent. Otherwise it's a grey area for me. A question, however, how do we judge if a decision is euthanasia or suicide? I can't think of any examples right now, but there may be instances when such a distinction is very fuzzy.
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Ended up actually Google searching the difference between suicide and euthanasia. According to various sources, suicide is the act of intentionally ending one's life most likely because of despair whereas euthanasia could relieve someone from pain and suffering. Based on that, there appears to be a thin line between the two and even the wording makes it sound similar (or at least the way I worded it). And then there's the issue with voluntary versus involuntary euthanasia, which could essentially go back to the topic of suicide.

Old February 12th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Exothermic
Tranquil Snow

Nature: Jolly
Euthanasia is an issue that raises tempers around the world. Everyone should have a choice as to whether they wish to continue living, or otherwise. In the case of extreme pain associated with terminal illnesses or accidents, euthanasia would be the most ideal option. In the case of a severely depressed person though, I'd think that euthanasia is not the best solution for them.

The age of consent should be at least 21, since children might not be able to rationalize on the importance of their life and may thus make these irreversible decisions in haste. For those under 21, I'm of the view that their parents/next of kin ought to have the final say when it comes to these matters.

Many of us intuitively realize that there're some circumstances worse than death, and there're certainly incidents where death is mercy. The real tragedy, I think, is that there're still countries where there is no choice for euthanasia or assisted suicide.

Last edited by Exothermic; February 12th, 2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Does that mean suicide is acceptable if one decides they do not wish to continue living, and we have the responsibility to stand by, if not help them on their endeavor? Is there a line between euthanasia and suicide, and where do we draw it?
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

At first when you said acceptable, I immediately thought about whether you were referring to the law regarding suicide, and from my understanding, that doesn't exist. So I'm assuming you meant if it's acceptable from an outsider's perspective such as family or strangers. Drawing the line between euthanasia and suicide would be difficult because it goes back to an individual's morals, values, and beliefs, which differ from person to person. Whether people think life, their own and others, is worth fighting for or if you're suffering that you have the right to end it voluntarily.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Sopheria
Fight Like A Girl
Community Supporter

I don't think there is any meaningful distinction between consensually administered euthanasia and suicide. In either case, someone is choosing to end their own life. I think whether or not it's socially acceptable is a moot point, because it's just a matter of "Do other people approve of this person's reasons for wanting to end his/her life?" And at the end of the day, the only person whose opinion counts for anything is the person in question (i.e. the one choosing to end his or her life). Their reason for wanting to end their life is no one's business but their own.
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I don't think what's socially acceptable is a moot point at all. We can take the position that people's opinions don't matter. But we can also take the position that people's opinions do matter - after all, we have them, and they are formed for reasons, not randomly or arbitrarily. Euthanasia is taken as an act of ending pain. Do we have the same connotation with suicide? We often associate suicide with stress and despair. What would we think in a situation with both pain and despair - are the lines blurred?
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Sopheria
Fight Like A Girl
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I don't think what's socially acceptable is a moot point at all. We can take the position that people's opinions don't matter. But we can also take the position that people's opinions do matter - after all, we have them, and they are formed for reasons, not randomly or arbitrarily. Euthanasia is taken as an act of ending pain. Do we have the same connotation with suicide? We often associate suicide with stress and despair. What would we think in a situation with both pain and despair - are the lines blurred?
I guess you have a point. I should have phrased what I was trying to say differently.

I think the reason why people look at euthanasia and suicide differently is because in the case of euthanasia, the reason for ending one's life is something that most people can relate to: physical pain. I don't think most people can relate to feeling emotional pain so deep that someone would want to end their life. The position I take is, I can't judge since I'm not in that person's shoes, and either way, I can't relate to that person's specific experience.
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgitscathy View Post
I guess you have a point. I should have phrased what I was trying to say differently.

I think the reason why people look at euthanasia and suicide differently is because in the case of euthanasia, the reason for ending one's life is something that most people can relate to: physical pain. I don't think most people can relate to feeling emotional pain so deep that someone would want to end their life. The position I take is, I can't judge since I'm not in that person's shoes, and either way, I can't relate to that person's specific experience.
Like you said, you cannot understand someone else's pain even when you believe you can sympathize or empathize with their situation. In my opinion, if you really want to dig deeper into the meaning and the line drawn between the two terms, you'd have to look at the cases individually. That would take a tremendous amount of time considering there are many underlying levels of an individual from their outright behaviours to the deepest parts like conscious and unconsciousness mind. Because of that, many people consider hospital deaths as a result of natural causes or just unfortunate events/luck; in the case of assisted suicide happenings, they could easily and broadly slap the term euthanasia onto it. Anything else outside that environment where the individual takes their own life would be considered suicide.

Old February 27th, 2014, 11:54 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

I think one should decide whether one wants one's family to pull the plug on them or not. I think one should have a thought in their head in case this ever happened, at least to minimize some of the pain on the family (though they may still struggle with one's wishes) during the decision process. However I do think one should wait some time before going ahead with ending those living in coma and pain.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:35 AM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Depends on what the individual says. End of story. It's their life. Especially if that person is suffering it is unbelievably selfish and completely disregards that person's helplessness if you don't even give them the option. This isn't exactly "trying to promote suicide", these are people who are in a helpless state who cannot be helped to move out of it. They should have a full decision if they want to keep living anymore or not.

If someone's in a vegetative state I think it's up to the family but there's a point where you have to let go. It's not easy... but that isn't life worth living.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Fernbutter
Murder is the way.

Send a message via Skype™ to Fernbutter
Tough question. But honestly I don't care more than I should, even if I really wanted to. But for the matter if I actually needed to choose and defend a side, then I would have to oppose to such a thing. How can you respect their lives if you want to end it before their own time. Even if they ask for it, nobody has the right or permission to ever take their own or another persons life.

Most people think that putting beings or creatures out of their misery is something that is good. It might sound right because we were all taught that sometimes the right thing to do, is making a hard choice. But bottom line is that doing this is basically taking the easy way out, it isn't honorable. And it isn't okay.
Personally I would remain complete neutral in the end anyway.

This has so many possibilities and situations in this question alone.

But what it mainly focuses on is having life-support to begin with. This isn't something that would actually make things better. The only possible way for somebody on the path of no return to come back, is through a miracle. And sometimes not everyone can have one. Life-support is a way for people to hold onto things they aren't ready to let go of yet. This creates a form of false hope. The only thing worse than losing somebody, is thinking that dragging them out as far as you can is the better choice.

There should be a signature here somewhere.
I wonder where it's gone.
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM
A Shadow's Soul
Waaaaaaaaaat?
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
A statement I've heard before is Pain is living. To some extent I agree with this statement because I always feel that Pain makes us into our unique selves, however, in the case of a person being terminally ill I feel that Euthanasia is the kindest thing a person can do.

There is a slight aspect of, Well I wouldn't call it grief or satisfaction from helping someone die but that moment would stamp your being for a long time, to kill violently or to kill out of sympathy whichever way you look at it is still killing and that can effect the way we live.

In terms of helping terminally ill children I believe that depending on their age it should be entirely their decision, if the child is unable to make the decision it should be up to the parents of the child. It doesn't matter what someones opinion is on euthanasia until you experience something so devastating where a decision like that has to be made you will never fully understand it. A person's mind set is altered completely when experiencing issues like this.

My opinion on the people protesting are that they're idiots. I know it's a strong word to use and some may be intelligent but how can you protest letting a child suffer instead of letting them have a painless end.

The only issue I feel there is with euthanasia is the person or person who help a person end their life when they're terminally ill, are they going to be mentally strong enough not to overcome by what has happened, but if they can I believe they're heroes in disguise.

I physically feel sick when people say euthanasia is wrong, It's just how I've always felt and I'm not saying that other peoples opinions on the matter are wrong but it's horrible to think someone would let a child suffer because of their own naive views.

~ Mell - Red Fraction ~
Hi I'm Adam ~ Showdown ~ VM ~

Old March 10th, 2014, 08:07 AM
AoTora

I support it- If someone is in pain or in coma - and he or she is not going to have a normal life after that they should be Euthanised- by not having normal life I mean people who will be locked on the bed - who won't be able to do anything on their own and who won't be able to walk for sure.

It doesn't matter weather the person is kid or is adult - the age doesn't really matter.

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairento Tamashii View Post
A statement I've heard before is Pain is living. To some extent I agree with this statement because I always feel that Pain makes us into our unique selves, however, in the case of a person being terminally ill I feel that Euthanasia is the kindest thing a person can do.

There is a slight aspect of, Well I wouldn't call it grief or satisfaction from helping someone die but that moment would stamp your being for a long time, to kill violently or to kill out of sympathy whichever way you look at it is still killing and that can effect the way we live.

In terms of helping terminally ill children I believe that depending on their age it should be entirely their decision, if the child is unable to make the decision it should be up to the parents of the child. It doesn't matter what someones opinion is on euthanasia until you experience something so devastating where a decision like that has to be made you will never fully understand it. A person's mind set is altered completely when experiencing issues like this.

My opinion on the people protesting are that they're idiots. I know it's a strong word to use and some may be intelligent but how can you protest letting a child suffer instead of letting them have a painless end.

The only issue I feel there is with euthanasia is the person or person who help a person end their life when they're terminally ill, are they going to be mentally strong enough not to overcome by what has happened, but if they can I believe they're heroes in disguise.

I physically feel sick when people say euthanasia is wrong, It's just how I've always felt and I'm not saying that other peoples opinions on the matter are wrong but it's horrible to think someone would let a child suffer because of their own naive views.
Well, you have to consider the issue from both sides to understand why someone, especially family members, would never consider euthanasia as a method of ending a life. Families and relatives are prime examples of people who probably would not resort to the usage of euthanasia towards their own loved ones because they would prefer to have their physical existence with them; it seems more real to them than the whole idea of their "soul" being with them forever. Though I do wonder, for those individuals who are absolutely for/against euthanasia in regards to their own family members, would their mind change if it involved someone else? Personally, family member or not, euthanasia should be a viable option because I'm a firm believer in not letting someone suffer through the rest of their life regardless of age. Whether it be an elderly individual bound for the heaven train or a child who has the unfortunate fate of being medically ill, families shouldn't let their selfishness manifest into thinking that they're doing what's best for said person.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links