The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Old January 31st, 2014, 11:51 AM
Alex
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex

Advertise here
In human society, most of us seek to be liked and respected by their peers, correct? Well, more often than not the best of people have to choose between the two, meaning it is incredibly difficult to be both.

Would you prefer to be liked, or rather respected? How so? Do you usually stick to respectable/respected people, or likable/well-liked folks? Do you have a general preference between the two?
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:39 PM
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Erm...I'm not sure how the two even remotely clash, sorry. Why is it difficult?

People are usually respected because of likable qualities, I would think. A lot of people I like I respect, and vice versa.
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Respect is a totally different frame of mind from liking someone.

I can respect you, but still strongly disagree with you on many things without a lot of messy cognitive dissonance.

Liking somebody however involves a fair bit of emotional sentiment, which tends to muddy the waters and make for some cognitive dissonance when you disagree with them. It just feels wrong to do so for some people, and some people are simply not going to put up with this sort of dissonance, and thus may choose not to like someone even if they respect them.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old February 14th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
Respect is a totally different frame of mind from liking someone.

I can respect you, but still strongly disagree with you on many things without a lot of messy cognitive dissonance.

Liking somebody however involves a fair bit of emotional sentiment, which tends to muddy the waters and make for some cognitive dissonance when you disagree with them. It just feels wrong to do so for some people, and some people are simply not going to put up with this sort of dissonance, and thus may choose not to like someone even if they respect them.
Not only can you respect them, but you could also dislike their whole character and personality together thus the person in general. Respecting others to me means knowing their values and beliefs and understanding them, not necessarily agreeing nor disagreeing. There's plenty of people whom I respect such as my professors, authority figures, etc., but does not necessarily mean I "like" them in the way that it's definition describes.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Shhmew

Hrmm. I think I would rather be respected.

If someone doesn't like me, that's their own preference and it doesn't cause any issues. However, when someone doesn't respect me, it can lead to them treating me poorly and not caring about my feelings. That's when it starts to bother me.

There's plenty of people I don't like but I still respect enough to treat them the same as anyone else.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here