Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga
Reload this Page Attack on Titan

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Old January 22nd, 2014 (08:41 AM).
dance of swords
AdministratorCS

Nature: Timid
Surely it was a matter of time before we got a thread on this, right?! Below is a summary of the series, written by MangaHelpers and used on MAL's official Attack on Titan summary page:

Quote:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.
What do you think of the series? Did you watch the anime, read the manga, or both? What do you think of the art? Who is your favorite character? Remember to mark spoilers accordingly.

The series is doing very well in Japan and has ranked as the #1 anime-related search term in Japan in 2013. Source: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/19-1/attack-on-titan-tops-google-japans-anime-keyword-ranking-of-2013
Old January 22nd, 2014 (08:47 AM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Pretty rubbish, even for a mindless shounen.
Old January 22nd, 2014 (08:58 AM). Edited January 22nd, 2014 by awolfsquared.
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I started to watch the Attack on Titan anime several months ago cause it was getting so much hype as the series was unfolding. I have only seen 5 episodes and I'm already enjoying it a ton. The story gets really immense right away and it's just so riveting. I mean episode 5's ending was so surprising.
Spoiler:
I mean who would of thought that Eren would of gotten eaten at the end. Like it was only 5 episodes in and you wouldn't expect the main protagonist to be killed off. I know he's probably coming back though somehow and survive cause there's 26 episode in the series, but still it's how early it happened that got me.

Each character is rather dynamic and has a different story which makes them so much unique and not flat. The animation is beautiful in my opinion. It's very edgy and rigid than normal anime, but that's how it stands out. I really don't have a favorite character , but Misaka is pretty badass. There's just a whole bunch of good characters though. Overall I say it's one of my favorite anime right now and I'm really looking forward to watching more. Manga I haven't started cause I never have money to buy manga , but I really want to find it somewhere.
Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Pretty rubbish, even for a mindless shounen.
You seem to say this for a lot of anime. Are you really THAT critical when it comes to anime? Maybe have more of an open mind....

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

tumblr| instagram| twitter
Old January 22nd, 2014 (10:17 AM).
well
Gold Tier

I've watched up to episode 25 of the anime (which if I'm not wrong is what it's up to right now?) and saw an OVA. Not sure how many OVAs they have released so far though.

I don't really watch much anime nowadays so can't really compare or judge much, but I think it's been good so far. Was going to read the manga as well but didn't in the end. The whole concept of Titans is pretty interesting and I am looking forward to more episodes.
Old January 23rd, 2014 (05:18 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
For once, I gotta agree with Lappy.

I watched anime, read manga up to now (gotta regret that...)
And as I'm always saying, the first arc was interesting. It was something new.
But the following arcs were seriously crappy...
Spoilers ahead:
Spoiler:
Maybe killing off Eren should have been permanent... I mean what kind of anime kills off protagonist? It might have been original.

And then there are new manga events.
Spoiler:
Eren got ability everyone expected, totally OP, totally randomly because it just had to happen... seriously... why?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 25th, 2014 (12:16 PM).

I enjoyed the series at the start, and while I'm not as critical as other detesters of the show, I do agree that I feel the story took a direction that wasn't as interesting as it could have been, I still feel that some of the characters are worth hanging around for. I havn't read any of the manga though, so I'm still on the anime cliffhanger. It's still to early to tell if it's going to go in a direction I like or not, and I'm willing to give it another season to find out.
Old January 26th, 2014 (04:49 AM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
The art is nice, the ideas behind it can make something of it. The story though... I dunno, character development was really top notch but I think there's a reason they need our money for a movie. It will eventually be considered a classic because it had an innovating storyline and wasn't the oh no I can't beat you better train some more was tons repeat stuff that is basically every action anime. I would call it the best manga because donyatsu bakes the cake for that. I want to see where it goes and what the faraway place looks like... If you've read/seen that far. Not sure haven't seen the anime.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 26th, 2014 (04:59 AM).
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
It was great... until...

Spoiler:
humans can be titans.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old January 26th, 2014 (08:41 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Seki-kun.:
It was great... until...

Spoiler:
humans can be titans.
Exactly this.

Spoiler:
Btw... that would mean from the first episode xD

Old January 26th, 2014 (04:11 PM).
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Satoshi Ookami:
Exactly this.

Spoiler:
Btw... that would mean from the first episode xD
Nonono. It was...
Spoiler:
i only knew eren could be a titan since... let me think... ep 9 or 10? Since I didn't read the manga and nobody spoilt me.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old January 26th, 2014 (05:38 PM).

They made a car commercial with Attack on Titan CGI

http://www.yareyaredaze.com/2014/01/24/subaru-forester-can-handle-attacks-titans/

The colossal Titan looks awesome.
Old January 26th, 2014 (05:42 PM).
Unhatched Riolu Egg

Nature: Mild
I watched it, and instantly loved it. It's a bit gory, yeah... But the characters are interesting, and I really want to to know what's going to happen to Eren and the future of humanity. I'm on episode 20 currently.

Old January 27th, 2014 (04:15 PM).
Silver Tier

I read the manga before watching the anime. It was grotesque, yet interesting to see how the directors animated the series. The first episode left a huge impression and that was instantly what got me hooked.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old January 27th, 2014 (04:37 PM).
Banned

I read the manga first. Should have seen my face where they turned what is probably my favourite scene in the series....
Spoiler:

....into this garbage

If any of you actually prefer the anime version you should feel bad.
Old January 28th, 2014 (12:15 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

I read the manga first. Should have seen my face where they turned what is probably my favourite scene in the series....
Spoiler:

....into this garbage

There was a cat, everything forgiven.

Unless not...
Well... they had to add "DRAMA"! into the series... and EPIC moments... and... did not work.
Pretty much everything that went to the ending had to be redone so they could randomly end the anime.

Old February 15th, 2014 (07:48 PM).
what a lovely day
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
Well... just finished the anime series :p

I had originally kept up with the show because it's strong start and interesting concept/setting hooked me. I was watching it weekly until...

Spoiler:
Erin becomes a titan

I was just so pissed off that I stopped watching the series until now XD
Quite frankly I did enjoy the series, while it's not the "greatest anime of all time" or even 2013 for that matter it was an enjoyable ride that had a mounds of potential that was kinda... not ruined but messed up by the fact there needed to be some sort of OP shonen power.

Other than that I think the main problem that the show had were its characters. The main protaganist is just a stereotypical annoying shonen main lead. The main female protag is just perfect at everything and the almost unrealistic attachment to Eren made me want to just punch my tv out of annoyance. The only reason she almost ever opens her mouth is to say something to or about Eren. Then there's Armin who starts out annoying and whiny and ends up annoying and better for the most part. He's probably the most developed character which is sad considering the small amount of development given to him. I enjoyed most of the rest of the cast, but their lack of screen time which led to lack of development made them seem kinda distant.

While AoT had many problems it was still really enjoyable and better than many shonen anime.
Old February 16th, 2014 (03:11 AM).
ARCHER
ModeratorCS

Spoiler:

....into this garbage

Am I looking at this wrong because that manga scene is... nothing. Vacant looks, pretty boring dialogue there. The scene in the clip, however, is dramatic and intense. You may prefer the manga but that was a very odd comparison.

Quote originally posted by Apollo:
The main female protag is just perfect at everything and the almost unrealistic attachment to Eren made me want to just punch my tv out of annoyance. The only reason she almost ever opens her mouth is to say something to or about Eren. Then there's Armin who starts out annoying and whiny and ends up annoying and better for the most part.
I agree, this was the main pitfall. Mikasa had all the makings of a good character but the fact that she revolved around Eren, with little interactions or development elsewhere, was annoying.

I never warmed to Armin, at all. I'm not even sure how he managed to pass any of the exams/training sessions considering how generally awful he is throughout the series.
Old February 16th, 2014 (10:45 AM).

Nature: Quiet
I liked it other than a bit of the story, seemed a bit bland. But episode 1!

Spoiler:
YOU COULD SEE THE BLOOD CELLS

And this:

Spoiler:
The point where there are several climaxes, with the Annie, Trost, and Fall of Shiganshina arcs.

And who doesn't love the first OP? (Is it wrong to watch the anime instead of reading the manga?)
Old February 16th, 2014 (10:50 AM). Edited May 4th, 2014 by lozzop.
Monkey slut!

I've seen 6 episodes and a bit of another I think, it's good, but it's also like, super creepy. The first episode was really gross, I watched it with my friend and she just burst out laughing at the particularly gross part near the end XD. (If you've seen it you probably know which bit I mean...) Even though I'm enjoying it I feel like it just drags a bit, the first episode was amazing, so was the second tbf! But then at like episode 3+ it was just the guy training and it was really boring. Idk if I'm going to watch more, I might it I have some spare time and I finish re-rewatching Orange is The New Black and 2 broke girls
Old March 15th, 2014 (09:17 PM).
clearly there's something wrong
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naughty
Dub Casting Reveal 1
Quote:
Keith – Patrick Seitz
Moses – Jeff Johnson
Erwin – J. Michael Tatum
Marco – Austin Tindle
Carla – Jessica Cavanagh
Grisha – Chris Hury
Hannes – David Wald
Dub Casting Reveal 2
Quote:
Jean – Mike McFarland
Sasha – Ashly Burch
Conny – Clifford Chapin
Anka – Jamie Marchi
Hanna – Tia Ballard
Gustav – Keith Kubal
Christa – Bryn Apprill
Ymir – Elizabeth Maxwell
Dub Casting Reveal 3
Quote:
Levi - Matthew Mercer
Petra - Caitlin Glass
Hange - Jessica Calvello
Daz - Brad Venable
Bertholdt - David Matranga
Franz - James Chandler
Rico - Morgan Garrett
Pyxis - R Bruce Elliott
Nack - Will Short
Dub Casting Reveal 4
Quote:
Mikasa – Trina Nishimura
Hugo – Tyson Rinehart
Ian – Scott Freeman
Milieus – Joel McDonald
Mina – Alexis Tipton
Mitabi – Kyle Hebert
Mobb – Matthew Ham
Dub Casting Reveal 5
Quote:
Armin- Josh Grelle
Reiner- Robert McCollum
Annie- Lauren Landa
Quote:
Samuel – Dave Trosko
Thomas – Duncan Brannan
Tom – Tyler Walker
Wald – Barry Yandell
Woerman – Christopher Sabat
Here's some dub clips!

Armin, Annie, Marco, Jean, Mikasa, Reiner
Levi, Petra, Hanji

Thoughts? The VAs are perfect so far.
Old March 15th, 2014 (09:36 PM).
I'M ALL FIRED UP
ModeratorBS

Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote originally posted by Solace:
They seem fine! Armin and Mikasa just sound really.. generic to me? It could just be because I'm so used to their Japanese voices but they don't sound bad at all. The other English ones are great imo n_n I think Jean's and Petra's are really good.

I really want to hear Eren, though. ;;
Old March 15th, 2014 (09:50 PM).
Banned

Quote originally posted by Magic:
Am I looking at this wrong because that manga scene is... nothing. Vacant looks, pretty boring dialogue there. The scene in the clip, however, is dramatic and intense. You may prefer the manga but that was a very odd comparison.
It was a subtle scene in the manga and that is endlessly preferable than screaming like a psychopath. The manga gave the impression that he's determined and will do what he has to do because it has to be done. Anime on the other hand it seemed to be more about the act of killing.

I suppose if I was the anime producer and my target audience was 13 year old boys you would have to go for the super edge mode version.

I like Eren a lot more in the manga.
Old March 15th, 2014 (11:09 PM).
<<Wandering Bard>>
ModeratorCS

Nature: Sassy
I'm not really one to watch the dub. It's just not my thing to double watch a series.

Still manga-wise its starting to get interesting considering the now outright attempts to topple the existing order.
Old March 17th, 2014 (05:01 PM).
Protect his very soul.
ModeratorCS

Funimation posted another clip today. www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbJOSm4SUs
Great voice acting in this one. As for what Solace posted, Armin sounds fine and befitting to me. Jean and Annie sound great. Mikasa was a bit soulless. Levi sounds deeper than I expected, but Petra and Hanji have reasonable voices.

I should start the manga. I miss this show. D:
Old March 17th, 2014 (05:05 PM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Not gunna watch the dub. And manga kind of lost me after chapter 50 ish. But I'll resume someday.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)