The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Banz

Advertise here
I'd like to apply as well.

Name: Bandish
Grade Level: Final Year Mechanical Engineering student
Specialty Subjects: Basic Physics, Biology, Maths and Stats, Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Design
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I have a lot of free time.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Mareeep

Nature: Quiet
I'd like to apply!

Name: Kendra
Grade Level: 11 (I take many college level and advanced classes)
Specialty Subjects: physics, math, basic French, speech & debate
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I've always had a passion for learning and understanding and I'd like to help share my passion by helping people who may need help understanding a topic they are learning about. Also, I feel good inside whenever I am capable of helping someone, and I think I have a sufficient understanding of my specialty subjects to help those who are at an equal or lower grade level than I am.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
ANARCHit3cht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArceusIsPower View Post
Oh, thank you, just have a lot of trouble with math nowadays :/ It's become complicated and clear as mud to me.

Alternatively, you can graph the function and visually observe it's ends if you can't seem to remember them.
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
I'm looking for sources for my research paper on bullying/violence in schools. As of right now, I'm going to make my focus of the paper on suicides brought on by bullying of homosexuals students in school (even though that's usually high school and my major is elementary...whatevs).

I'm not asking for people to find the sources for me, but I'm just looking for any stories anyone recalls of this happening, or anything on bullying really, in case I take my ideas into another focus. Again, you don't have to link me, I just need titles basically so that I can do the searching and reading myself. I've been going through D&D since I remember at one point, there were an abundance of those kinds of threads. It's just that I can't remember the school systems, the names, the states, etc. I'd appreciate any jumpstart really.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:36 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

The biggest district here in Minnesota had some serious issues on this matter a few years back. District name is Anoka-Hennepin (iirc, it covers 3 suburban cities as well as parts of 10 other suburban cities and has a district-wide enrollment of somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000). "minnesota gay bullying instances" is the search term I used, and from a Google search it brings up several stories related to the district and bullying of all kinds, particularly gay bullying. If you want to search the local major newspapers and local news stations for their stories about the incidences tied to this district, let me know, and I'll give you the names of the local outlets. They should have individual stories on the multiple cases that occurred within this particular district, and possibly a few others that might have happened but didn't get as much coverage due to not happening in such a large school district - the only ones that come to my mind right now are all tied to the Anoka-Hennepin District.

There's also plenty of potential general bullying stories that may have happened that aren't coming to my mind as well.

EDIT: I may have found another story under the search term "Minnesota bullying instances".
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I'd personally look into how figure skaters are stereotyped, for example. Because of Winter Olympics, it'll probably be more common to find those articles now.

Last edited by Aeroblast; February 18th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Does anyone understand note cards for research papers? Like how they're supposed to work and be done? The way they were explained to me is that they need to be so detailed that you could put them together and practically have your paper...and I mean, I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Like why not just write the paper? What's the point of the cards? I digress. I need to work on them tomorrow, so if someone could maybe explain them better than the way I've read and was told, that would be great. I really have no clue what I'm trying to do here. lol

Old February 20th, 2014, 09:31 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlark View Post
Does anyone understand note cards for research papers? Like how they're supposed to work and be done? The way they were explained to me is that they need to be so detailed that you could put them together and practically have your paper...and I mean, I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Like why not just write the paper? What's the point of the cards? I digress. I need to work on them tomorrow, so if someone could maybe explain them better than the way I've read and was told, that would be great. I really have no clue what I'm trying to do here. lol
To keep all your information organized with its proper source. Colored notecards work really well with this - each color is from one source, so all your info from that source is written on the designated color.

Really, it's just to make sure that you didn't forget any sources and to keep your information nice and tidy and all together. Being able to write your whole paper just from your note cards is perhaps a bit extreme, but they should be very detailed. If you do them well, they're a very big help in the grand scheme of writing your paper and don't require you to have to flip through internet pages and books to know what information you're looking for.

Old February 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I actually have no idea why you don't just write it, haha. In my History class they make us use "notecards" too and we have to use this online tool that links the notecards to sources, so I guess for us they just want us to put quotes from the articles/sources along with our ideas. I guess for us its so we can tie our ideas into the sources we use really easily since the notecards + bibliographies are both online on the same website, but I'm not entirely sure if that's standard everywhere. Also, this is just highschool, so idk if it's different in college ;~; Hope that made some sense. I don't really understand why we don't just make an outline first instead of these haha.

edit; Oops, ninja'd.
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Doing some chemistry right now (organic, though I don't think that's relevant). And the concept of the molar equivalent is eluding me. Basically I'm given a reaction, and reagents in specific amounts, so I can calculate moles, grams, whatever. But what is the molar equivalent needed? From what I've gathered, it might have to do with the molar ratios of the reaction pieces, which leads me to believe everything is one molar equivalent in a 1 : 1 : 1 : 1 reaction, but I could be completely wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Flushed; February 24th, 2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: apparently something triggered an aipom smiley
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think molar equivalent is the amount of substance that would react with a mole of something? So if you're given reagents in specific amounts, you can find the molar equivalent of one substance to another on your way of deciding which one is limiting? Why am I speaking with question marks?
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I think molar equivalent is the amount of substance that would react with a mole of something? So if you're given reagents in specific amounts, you can find the molar equivalent of one substance to another on your way of deciding which one is limiting? Why am I speaking with question marks?
So I found the limiting reagent. Not sure which number(s) though, if any that I've calculated, that you're alluding to.

Spoiler:

Sorry for crappy picture. If I had to guess, I'd say .062 mol of ethanol is relevant? Or perhaps going from ethanol to the limiting reagent, p-aminobenzoic acid (which I haven't shown)?
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:33 PM
BreannaJ1992

Hi guys,

My name is Breanna, I am a senior in college and my field of study at my university is marketing. I am doing a project based on loyalty to a brand, and I was assigned Pokemon. This brand particularly interests me, because I used to trade cards myself.

So I need a participant willing to help me out, there will be no need to call or meet. All I need is perhaps an email, or I can interview right here on this forum.

I would LOVE for someone to PLEASE help me. We don't need to get the interview done today, I just need to have a participant secured for my teacher by tomorrow.

Thank you so much,
Breanna

If it persuades you further, my favorite Pokemon is Snorlax
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Blastin'Tyruntz
No one can understand, the pain that's inside

Nature: Gentle
Hello, i'm Idan, i'm majoring Chemistry in highschool and i'm in freshman year.
I was sick on Monday and yadda yadda yadda i missed the first Chemistry lesson about electronegativity. I have a test next Thursday, a week from now, and i need to know what electronegativity is, by definition only. So my question, in a more simple way is:

What is the definition of electronegativity?

That is it, thank you for the person who'll answer!

It's super-effective!
Paired to peopleZ
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroCohen View Post
Hello, i'm Idan, i'm majoring Chemistry in highschool and i'm in freshman year.
I was sick on Monday and yadda yadda yadda i missed the first Chemistry lesson about electronegativity. I have a test next Thursday, a week from now, and i need to know what electronegativity is, by definition only. So my question, in a more simple way is:

What is the definition of electronegativity?

That is it, thank you for the person who'll answer!
O: I remember this from Grade 10! Electronegativity refers to an atom's tendency to attract electrons to itself.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Blastin'Tyruntz
No one can understand, the pain that's inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
O: I remember this from Grade 10! Electronegativity refers to an atom's tendency to attract electrons to itself.
Well, thank you very much!

It's super-effective!
Paired to peopleZ
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

How exactly does citing within a paper work? I know how a works cited page works, but how do you actually cite within the paper itself when like...quoting sources and such? MLA format, of course...honestly, are there any other formats? Ugh, don't answer that.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Use parenthetical citation.

There are several styles you can use to cite. MLA (the one you mentioned) is one, but you can also use APA and Chicago, though usually they're used for different purposes.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:37 PM
shenanigans
ALL NEON LIKE
Staff Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlark View Post
How exactly does citing within a paper work? I know how a works cited page works, but how do you actually cite within the paper itself when like...quoting sources and such? MLA format, of course...honestly, are there any other formats? Ugh, don't answer that.
I have absolutely no idea what "MLA" means, but this is how I've been taught to reference stuff. From an essay I wrote a while back:

"In contrast, the aldolase II enzyme has a lesser understood structure (Berry & Marshall, 1993)."

So in the essay I've made a statement, then briefly said whose work I got that information from. Then at the end of the paper in the references section:

Berry, A., Marshall, K. E. (1993), Identification of zinc-binding ligands in the Class II fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase of Escherichia coli, Federation of European Biochemical Societies, 318:11-16

The order of things here's important. Names (Last, First Initial. Second Initial.) in the order that they appear on the paper followed by the year in brackets, the title of the paper exactly as it appears in italics, the publisher, the volume:the page numbers.

If you're citing in a different context such as quoting directly, you could say something like "Berry & Marshall (1993) say that "[blah]"" or whatever. But in general explaining something in your own words is a better idea since it shows that you understand what you're on about.

Your reference list at the end of the paper should be in alphabetical order.

Be aware that referencing wrongly, depending on how strict your university is on these kinda things, can get you in a fair deal of trouble and as I say I don't know if my format's the same as yours. If none of this looks familiar to you, please ask someone on your course or something first, since I don't wanna be getting you in trouble. Haha. Hope this helps though... I think it's what you're having trouble with at least. d:

edit: lol the above poster is talking about something totally different I think. I'm not familiar with any other referencing types than the one I explained here so maybe go with what they said if it means anything to you.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Quote:
Use parenthetical citation.
Is that like the little [5] things you see on Wikipedia articles and such? And then the number has to match the number of the bibliography card for that source? I'm just guessing. It's been a long time since I've done a research paper, and I don't remember a thing.

@Razor Leaf: My teacher is absolutely insane. She got mad at me because my outline wasn't how she wanted it, even though she claims "the outline is for the students" which implies it shouldn't matter how it looks. I digress...lol.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

I'm pretty sure I was talking about the right thing, Razor Leaf. http://www.easybib.com/help/paren

For example, if I were to quote from 1984, it'd look something like this: “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.” (Orwell 1)

Then you'd make a reference at the end of the paper in Works Cited/References section, which looks similar to what Razor Leaf posed.

About the other formats I've stated, these are what I'm talking about:

APA Format: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ (Usually used for scientific lab reports, etc.)
Chicago Format: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/717/01/

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

I'm not even gonna look at Chicago or APA. It has to be MLA, or she'll flip he everloving ♥♥♥♥. She'll flip it even if it is MLA, I'm sure. Lady has it out for me.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

What class are you writing your paper for?

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

It's an English class only for people in the Elementary/Collaborative major. What's really ♥♥♥♥♥♥ is that not only is this degree being removed, but the class overall is being removed. I'm basically taking an irrelevant class that's only months away from being nuked. I'll have to choose between elementary or special education if I don't make it into the college of education by the time the degree is taken off, as well. Not worried about that. Just worried about this awful class. Really one of the worst teachers I've ever had, only ranking behind one other teacher. It being an education class, topics for the paper had to pertain to education, and I picked bullying. I've got plenty of material, just need help actually being able to cite it.

And apparently, internet sources overall count as one source. She can kiss my butt. All my sources are internet and there's like 8. So. lol

can you tell i hate this class with a passion :)

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:12 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Just drop it if it's completely irrelevent lol. Unless it still somewhat counts for future or you have minimum credit or something.

Also is she asking for primary sources? You'll probably need to search some sort of database to find sources if so.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here