The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringMoon View Post
Hi!
I wonder if i could get some info/discussion going about these sports

- Boxing
- Kickboxing
- MMA
- Muay Thai
- Submission Wrestling
- BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu)

There is a training center offering these sports and i am wondering if i should join one of them, but which one?
what do each of them offer? what is the difference? does anyone have personal expierience with any of these?

I would love to do something that is a great work out, my main focus is to work on my belly and stamina.
I am kind of a shy person at times, so i feel like it would take some time to get
used to these sports because there is a lot of bodily interaction going on with the opposite fighter isn't it?

Would love to hear your opinions!
You should check out some professional fights and see which one interest you the most.

Boxing uses arm strength, reflex, endurance and light footwork.

Kickboxing focuses more on striking but it's a very vague term since it includes muay thai, Lethwei, Muay Buran, Karate etc.

MMA uses striking, grappling and submissions. But since it's the most watched combat sport out there, I think you know how it looks like

Muay Thai (My favorite) also known as the art of the eight limbs uses fist, elbow, knees, legs and feet. Which also makes you endure hits so you can keep going without hurting yourself when you strike since you use your limbs and they could get hurt real easily.

Submission Wrestling, well... you wrestle to the ground then you use different form of submission to make your opponent tap out It's a ground combast sport really

Brazilian Jiu jitsu is heavily focused on grappling and very big on ground fighting, I can't really explain this one becaus I haven't had much experience with it.

I taught Muay Thai to students 15 to 18 during summer. I also practice Boxing, Karate, MMA, kickboxing and submission wrestling
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
I feel weird venting this on an online forum, but I need someone to go to. Okay, so my girlfriend is like incredibly needy and it's so annoying. Anytime I'm not with her, she's a ball of sadness and I guess it seems cute, but it's annoying to have to deal with a depressed girlfriend every time you aren't around her.

I want to try and tell her, but 2 things:

1. It wouldn't change and things would only be worse.
2. She has anxiety and she would think she sucks for that andhave anxiety attacks.

I just feel miserable like this, but I don't know what to do.

Old January 13th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Introvert
Banned

If you think she's co-dependent and needy, and if it's bringing your mood down then you should be open with her and talk with her about it. Try not to be harsh but make sure you speak your mind. Otherwise you might end up building resentment towards her and it could ruin a good relationship.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Ask her what the hell her problem is and reaffirm that you'll do your very best to help her back to being a normal, happy person but she needs to be honest about her issues and make a genuine attempt to tackle them as well.

It's unfortunate but inevitable that we all go through tough times, in my opinion you and her will have to face this head on as a couple, there can be no tiptoeing around to spare feelings, it will solve nothing and you will have to live in misery trying to prop up the insupportable. Better to just knock down and rebuild, no?

You can only do what you can, which is better than doing nothing. If she does get worse, try your best to pull her out, convince her that their is a possibility of a better life and that she should take baby steps towards achieving that. It won't be easy, but if all she wants to do is mope around all her life then dump the broad, there's no guilt if you've done all you can, it's not fair to expect one partner to carry all the weight, that's not how relationships work.

In my opinion it's your responsibility as a boyfriend to take some course of action. Outright leaving immediately would be hurtful, but if you've given mending her a solid effort I guess you could stick around out of the goodness of your heart but if she can't at least try and keep afloat after your support then there's no requirement to let her drag you down with her...
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Silais
Princess of the Law

I'm not sure if this question is acceptable, but I will ask anyways.

So, for the past few months, I've had absolutely no PMS symptoms before my period. I'm not pregnant; I've simply had no symptoms beforehand my my menstrual cycle. Funnily enough, this seems to have started around the time I stopped taking birth control. Does anyone know why this may be? I was under the impression that birth control curbed PMS symptoms, but I have been off the pill for around five months.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:17 AM
Hatsune Mika
FireRed Nuzlocke

Nature: Naughty
Hmm. The weird thing about the cycle ik is not having one, or its on a super messed up schedule. But I don't thonk they took BC so idk if I can exactly help..
Blaziken, Mightyena, Swellow, Groudon, Gardevoir, and I still have to think.

I have walked down the path of Hoenn, now I believe it is time to see what has changed since my intervention of the peaceful region. I shall adventure to the end for love of all Pokémon!
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Starry Windy
Osha, Oshawott!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Lately I'm feeling not good, I was trying to think like nothing happened, but as the time goes, I become downer than before when seeing what happened that it disturbs my online activity lately... this has happened for weeks already, that I'm feeling uneasy to the point that I was making mistakes... I wish I can be out of this state ASAP, I don't want to become crazy (in a bad way). What should I do to stop feeling down anymore?
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:40 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
@Starry - if we knew what was making you feel down it would be a bit easier to help but I'll give it a go anyway.

Try immersing yourself in a hobby. Doing things you enjoy makes you happy and distracts you from the world around you so at least for brief periods of time you should cheer up a bit and maybe that will have a more significant affect for you after more time has progressed.

Depending on what kind of person you are you could try surrounding yourself with good company who can make you laugh and take your mind of things, or take some time away from people and spend more time with yourself to get you away from the stresses of the world. Personally I think the first would be more helpful but that's just the kind of person I am.

Actively addressing what is making you feel down could be a help to. Why take temporary measures when you can simply cure the illness, I find situations like yours work similarly.

So yeah in short; think positive thoughts, remember you're awesome and do things that make you happy and if you think you might have a really serious problem like depression or something talk to an expert.
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Windy View Post
Lately I'm feeling not good, I was trying to think like nothing happened, but as the time goes, I become downer than before when seeing what happened that it disturbs my online activity lately... this has happened for weeks already, that I'm feeling uneasy to the point that I was making mistakes... I wish I can be out of this state ASAP, I don't want to become crazy (in a bad way). What should I do to stop feeling down anymore?
I recommend seeing a therapist. If it's something that's been going on for a while and you're becoming increasingly negative, just having a session or two with a therapist or councilor might give you some mental exercises to break out of that :3
Old February 7th, 2014, 02:36 PM
ANARCHit3cht

These people have sound advice. Something I found helps is to have someone to talk to. Not someone to whine about your problems to, but someone to... talk to. About anything. And everything, if you really want. Someone who isn't going to tell you what you need to do to feel better, or explain what they did in that situation... someone who is going to listen. And talk back. Without barking orders at you. When I saw a therapist, all he did was talk to me and it made me feel immensely better. Then I got a new one, and she tried all that mumbo jumbo I mentioned up there and I wanted to punch her in the face.

Also,
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Shhmew

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
I'm not sure if this question is acceptable, but I will ask anyways.

So, for the past few months, I've had absolutely no PMS symptoms before my period. I'm not pregnant; I've simply had no symptoms beforehand my my menstrual cycle. Funnily enough, this seems to have started around the time I stopped taking birth control. Does anyone know why this may be? I was under the impression that birth control curbed PMS symptoms, but I have been off the pill for around five months.
Hello [: Dunno if you still need help, but I figured I'd post anyways. I'll put it in a spoiler since some people don't want to read about menstruation haha.

Spoiler:
When I went on birth control my doctor made it very clear to me that it was a good possibility going on it (and going off if I so chose) would affect my PMS symptoms, possibly drastically. And it definitely did! When I went on birth control, my symptoms died down a whole lot, they were very manageable, and when I stopped taking it, my symptoms got about the same as they were from before I started taking it (although the first 2 months or so after stopping were pretty mild). That was just my experience, everyone is different. I think the fact your symptoms changed (for the worse or better) around the time you stopped isn't anything to worry about. [:

In addition, there's many other things that can make your symptoms worse or better, such as physical exercise and stress. If you've been less stressed out or moving around more, that could definitely contribute. But, if not, I wouldn't worry, it probably just got out of whack because of birth control. They could come back in time, but for now, I'd say just relax and be grateful for the lack of discomfort!

@Starry, I do agree with the idea of a therapist if all else fails. They definitely help (though some are total flops to be honest, most know just how to do their job and are incredibly helpful if you're willing to cooperate). Otherwise I also agree to make sure you have someone to talk to, like a close friend or sibling. Shoving away your problems, ignoring them, or trying to pretend they don't exist is not a solution. Sometimes it's good to distract yourself by doing something you love, like a hobby or just hanging out with friends, but you must embrace it eventually and face it head on. (Edit: I should mention, the sooner the better.) Whether that means talking it out, getting professional help, or simply having a more positive outlook; that depends on you as a person. Everyone is different. [: I hope you feel better really soon~ Truly.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Help! Some heavy stuff fell onto my foot and bruised the bones in my toes very badly. It hurts a lot and I don't know what to do for it. Please help! I need an answer right away as I'm in pain.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Shhmew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
Help! Some heavy stuff fell onto my foot and bruised the bones in my toes very badly. It hurts a lot and I don't know what to do for it. Please help! I need an answer right away as I'm in pain.
It's been a bit since you posted, are you still in pain? If so it's probably best to schedule a doctor's appointment as soon as possible just to see if anything was broken. Also put some ice on it to ease swelling [: (not too cold; make sure to put a cloth or something between the ice and your foot)
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:34 PM
AdmiralMcmuffin
Fong

Nature: Timid
Hi all,something is happening on Monday and I need ALL of YOUR advice on what to do. Ok,first let me explain the situation....

Im a very shy guy but I do what needs to be done,except this one time,you see,I've just been too chicken to hang out with my crush,on a side note she loved the letter and was bragging about it but back to the situation at hand..

The chicken level has gotten SO bad that my best friend has to ask her friend to give me a hug. I feel so useless,I can't do ANYTHING relating with my crush without my friends help.

You may be wonder that a free hug is good and dandy,but NO SIR,it makes me feel subhuman and less masculine,like i'm in pre-school. I just don't feel like i've earned or deserved it at ALL because I never went in person.

What should I do?
Let her hug me or stop her from hugging me? I just feel so out of control,frustrated and angry,I also may or may not have stabbed my hand with a scissors in frustration........
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:57 PM
TheHelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralMcmuffin View Post
Let her hug me or stop her from hugging me?
Go hug her first. Gain some control and do something you want to do. It'll take a lot of nerve. Just think that whether you initiate it first or wait for her to do it, it'll happen anyway. So relieve some of your frustrations and show her that you're thinking of her, too. She'll both enjoy and appreciate it.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:46 PM
elheroeoscuro
The Mad Blogger. ♞

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralMcmuffin View Post
Hi all,something is happening on Monday and I need ALL of YOUR advice on what to do. Ok,first let me explain the situation....

Im a very shy guy but I do what needs to be done,except this one time,you see,I've just been too chicken to hang out with my crush,on a side note she loved the letter and was bragging about it but back to the situation at hand..

The chicken level has gotten SO bad that my best friend has to ask her friend to give me a hug. I feel so useless,I can't do ANYTHING relating with my crush without my friends help.

You may be wonder that a free hug is good and dandy,but NO SIR,it makes me feel subhuman and less masculine,like i'm in pre-school. I just don't feel like i've earned or deserved it at ALL because I never went in person.

What should I do?
Let her hug me or stop her from hugging me? I just feel so out of control,frustrated and angry,I also may or may not have stabbed my hand with a scissors in frustration........
Hey man, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this regard. It's just the effects of love is all; you should not in any way feel less masculine for being nervous around a girl. Hell, I think everyone has at one time or another been flustered by the opposite sex, so you should have nothing to worry about in that regard (:

Here's what I think you should do, my man. If she's hugged and been bragging about this certain letter that you've written, she obviously fancies you at least at a friend level. More than a friend though? Don't really know to be honest, girls can be weird like that. What you need to do is start building your confidence around her. As such, I would probably ask your friend to stop asking her to give you free hugs. Try to work in daily conversations with her. Find a common interest that you have between her and go from there. Or, if you are having some difficulties trying to find a common interest, find something that she likes and have her steer the conversation. Ask her how her day is, or how a specific class is going if you share one together, or if she's watched any good shows lately. Start taking these baby steps to build up that confidence.

When you do feel like you can hold your own in a conversation with her, just take that chance and ask her to hang out! It doesn't necessarily have to be a date, but it can be something that you two are both interested in! This will continue to build that confidence with her. Overall though, just remember this: you are NOT a chicken and NOT a preschooler for falling head over heels for someone. It just shows that you care for this person and that you're nervous about making a right impression. Just take it nice and slow, and it overall will be a very rewarding and character building experience for you (:
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Konekodemon
Community Supporter

Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
I've got a problem but I don't quite know what's going on here. Every time I drink milk it hurts my stomach. It's not the lactose. I drunk lactose milk and still got sick. Plus, I eat ice cream all the time and never get sick from it and ice cream is made from whole milk. So, I don't get what's in the milk that could be hurting me. It would have to be something that's just in milk and taken out before ice cream is made. And it would be something that's in all milks no matter what. But what could it be?

Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

Is it spoiled? What kind of milk it is? I sure do hope it doesn't happen to me. I love my milk.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Member of the Christian Community!
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:23 PM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Maybe it's off. Smell milk before drinking it because it will do weird stuff if it's off.

If you had an issue it would probably cause you to have gastric reflex issues.
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Konekodemon
Community Supporter

No it's not off and yes, I do have acid reflux.

[/sig-reason]
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Fernbutter
Murder is the way.

Send a message via Skype™ to Fernbutter
Probably Acid-Reflux.
Is it that serious? Or you think it is might as well go to the doctor.

There should be a signature here somewhere.
I wonder where it's gone.
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

I have the same problem. Stick to lactose-free milk, haven't had pain ever since. :)

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Alex
Whale & Wasp
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Hey, I was wondering if I could ask this here; it's sort of personal and I need some advice on what to do. It involves love advice.

I knew a girl my freshman year of high school named Devan, and this past summer her father retired from the Army to teach ROTC in Utah. So, she's moved away and I don't think I'll be seeing her again 'til after high school. For a while in first semester we kept contact through Facebook, but around Christmas our communication sort of died. Recently I got back on FB to find both her and her BFF's (the only connection I had to her) accounts deactivated. Essentially, I've lost most communication with her; however, I have her phone number memorized and only need to get service on my phone to call her.

The problem is, even with her moving away, and even with losing some communication with her, I still have a strong love for her. It worries me to wonder if she's alright with no way of me knowing, and I have some eerie thoughts regarding her that plague me. To describe my feelings about her, I wrote a letter to her and put it on my website here (it'll explain some things). When I was a freshman I was a nasty ugly overweight klutz, but now I've vastly improved in my build, posture, cleanliness, and personality. I think that maybe if I saw her again that bright intelligent mind of hers'll click and see me for what I really think of her.

What should I do to resolve my feelings for her? Please don't tell me to let her go, because I've tried and failed that twice already. She found me funny, and did anything but hate me as much as I embarrassed her. From what I hear she was anything but nice to some in band, and I hope maybe that was a good sign as to what she thought of me.

I did my time and I want out
So effusive – fade – it doesn’t cut
The soul is not so vibrant
The reckoning, the sickening
Packaging subversion
Pseudo–sacrosanct perversion
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Shhmew

@Konekodemon; I have a similar problem, I get really bad stomachaches if I drink straight-up milk, but not when I eat dairy products such as ice cream or cheese. Those are perfectly fine. The other day, I had a starbucks cappuccino drink thing, which you mix with warm milk, and after drinking that I got quiiiiiiite the violent stomach ache. .___. I think it's still just a reaction to lactose though, are you sure the milk you drank was lactose-free? If so it could have been something else that made you sick that time.

@®ock§mashGod; That is quite the complicated situation; it's sad that simply moving away can cause such a significant problem.

One thing I'm unsure about: Were you planning on sending her that letter or were you just using that as a way to lay out/explain your feelings so we (or you?) could better understand it?

Anyway, my opinion: As long as you still have communication with her (even if that just means a phone call a day or something), I personally believe you should still pursue her. I know there's a lot of crap about long distance relationships, and yes they're really ♥♥♥♥ing hard, but when you really love someone, what's a little waiting? Plus, maybe upon sharing your feelings with her, she'll make more of an effort to create more bridges between you, for example giving you her email or something. (I have no idea what her reasons might have been for deactivating her facebook account, but in any case there's definitely other ways to communicate online if she really wants to)

If you truly love her then I say call her and get back in touch with her, with the eventual goal of telling her your feelings and see how she responds. Even if she doesn't love you back, it will provide some more closure, and make it a whole lot easier to "move on" if you need to. Giving up on her has probably proven to be next to impossible because you've hardly dipped your toes in when the still, vast sea is staring you in the face, you know? Your heart yearns for you to jump in, even though it may be cold, and there's no use fighting that, honestly.

And if you truly love each other, you will be together one day, no matter how much distance is between you now. And you'll never know if you don't try, really. Again the worst thing that can happen is she doesn't share your feelings, in which case you really just have to respect that and give her the space to grow on her own. I know it hurts dude, ugh I've been there. But the world will keep spinning. It always does.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:39 AM
The1mm0rt41One
Dovahkiin

Nature: Lonely
So I feel a tad awkward about this but I really need some help.

So recently I found out I have clinical depression and a bad case of social anxiety. I get really upset about everything and I never want to leave the house. I get scared to go to school because I feel like people will judge me on who I am. I find it hard to function and even talk to others so I spend most of my time on Youtube or on forums. I hate this stuff and it makes me very sad.

I guess... I'm just scared...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links