The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Game Development
Reload this Page Discussion Interest in programming on the GBA? (Not ROM hacking)
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Daily Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read


Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 16th, 2013 (9:05 AM). Edited February 6th, 2014 by Gamer2020.
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Is there any interest here for programing on the GBA using DevkitArm?

I am currently writing an E-book on setting up a full GBA development environment. I plan on posting it here when it is done. The possibilities are endless.

A great example is the engine jambo51 has started. I helped him set up a development environment and he is coding away.

http://pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14443-Jambo51-s-Homebrew-Pok-mon-Engine

So is this type of thing something people would be interested in? Please let me know your thoughts and opinions?

This is not ROM hacking.
This is not a programming project.


What I am working on is an E-book on setting up programs for programing for the Game Boy Advance from scratch.
The book will cover things like setting up DevkitARM, setting up Eclipse, doing source level debugging and so on.

Any more stupid questions?
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old December 22nd, 2013 (4:40 AM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,133
Is this project basically about making a brand new GBA game? An incomplete game, obviously (i.e. no maps or anything defined), but with a functioning custom-made engine which can have maps and trainers and items thrown onto it to make a game with?

Sounds interesting.
__________________
  #3    
Old December 22nd, 2013 (5:06 AM).
Kakarot1212's Avatar
Kakarot1212 Kakarot1212 is offline
Resident Programmer
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phillipines
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Posts: 536
Wow, this sound very interesting! :D Sounds cool.
Since I'm a programming student, this pumps my blood going

Keep it up!
__________________
  #4    
Old December 22nd, 2013 (10:39 AM).
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Is this project basically about making a brand new GBA game? An incomplete game, obviously (i.e. no maps or anything defined), but with a functioning custom-made engine which can have maps and trainers and items thrown onto it to make a game with?

Sounds interesting.
No. What I am working on is an E-book on setting up an environment for programming for the GBA. People will be able to make their own engine like Jambo51 is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu369 View Post
Wow, this sound very interesting! :D Sounds cool.
Since I'm a programming student, this pumps my blood going

Keep it up!
Awesome. I'm hoping to be done by new years.
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!
  #5    
Old December 22nd, 2013 (11:21 AM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,133
Ah yes, okay. But it is about making a GBA game from scratch, rather than hacking an existing game, correct?

This would certainly qualify as game development, and I for one wouldn't ever have thought about making a game for the GBA (because when you think "GBA" you think "hacking"). I look forward to seeing your e-book.
__________________
  #6    
Old December 22nd, 2013 (2:56 PM).
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Ah yes, okay. But it is about making a GBA game from scratch, rather than hacking an existing game, correct?

This would certainly qualify as game development, and I for one wouldn't ever have thought about making a game for the GBA (because when you think "GBA" you think "hacking"). I look forward to seeing your e-book.
Yes it is. Hence why the first post says using DevkitARM and the title of the thread includes (Not ROM hacking).
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!
  #7    
Old January 1st, 2014 (10:48 AM).
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Still working on this. It may be a few more days. I didn't anticipate how busy I would be this time of year.

Here is a page from the book for those interested.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24547569/excerpt.xps
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!
  #8    
Old January 1st, 2014 (10:55 AM).
Corvus of the Black Night's Avatar
Corvus of the Black Night Corvus of the Black Night is offline
Wild Duck Pokémon
Gold TierCS
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: With the Birds
Age: 23
Gender: Other
Nature: Impish
Posts: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Ah yes, okay. But it is about making a GBA game from scratch, rather than hacking an existing game, correct?
He's basically making a homebrew application on the GBA. This for example is a really good resource to get started.

I've thought about doing homebrew stuff on the GBA but I haven't really had the time and the motive to build there, been focusing on higher level stuff. It's a really good introduction to how the low level processing works. Are you doing most of it in assembly or C?
  #9    
Old January 1st, 2014 (11:24 AM).
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by daigonite View Post
He's basically making a homebrew application on the GBA. This for example is a really good resource to get started.

I've thought about doing homebrew stuff on the GBA but I haven't really had the time and the motive to build there, been focusing on higher level stuff. It's a really good introduction to how the low level processing works. Are you doing most of it in assembly or C?
You are way off. What I am working on is a guide on how to get setup to do programming for the GBA.
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!
  #10    
Old January 1st, 2014 (11:49 AM).
Corvus of the Black Night's Avatar
Corvus of the Black Night Corvus of the Black Night is offline
Wild Duck Pokémon
Gold TierCS
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: With the Birds
Age: 23
Gender: Other
Nature: Impish
Posts: 3,429
Well you didn't make it very clear... You mean an engine?
  #11    
Old January 1st, 2014 (12:41 PM).
MKGirlism's Avatar
MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
3DS and Wii U Game Developer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Posts: 414
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
It sounds handy for the ones who are dependent on Homebrew, to make Console games.
In fact, I would only wish Nintendo would release a similar guide for the Nintendo 3DS platform, because now I have to deal with the Sample Demo's they give, and basically base everything on these.
__________________
~Yami
  #12    
Old February 3rd, 2014 (4:58 AM).
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
It's gonna be a bit till I release this. It's almost done but I am very busy with classes this semester.
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!
  #13    
Old February 3rd, 2014 (9:43 PM). Edited February 3rd, 2014 by Pokemon Trainer Jackey.
Pokemon Trainer Jackey's Avatar
Pokemon Trainer Jackey Pokemon Trainer Jackey is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 76
Not gonna lie, I've been kind of fantasizing about making an "ultimate PokeDex" out of a customized GBA SP (in red, of course) that has all the PokeDex info for all the gens in it for years now; I just don't have an SP and the stuff for GBA homebrew and hadn't gotten around to learning how to code for GBA. XD So I'm looking forward to seeing this guide.
__________________
Boop.
A site.
  #14    
Old February 5th, 2014 (2:42 PM).
oxysoft's Avatar
oxysoft oxysoft is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 98
Why limit yourself to the GBA? You can make cross-platform applications with next to no limitations easily. I don't see why one would like to restrict themselves to the GBA hardware unless it's for learning purposes. For anyone wondering, programming a Pokemon game for the GBA wouldn't be any easier and if anything, it would be harder.
__________________
PokeSharp Engine
  #15    
Old February 6th, 2014 (6:26 AM).
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Distant Land
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Posts: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Jackey View Post
Not gonna lie, I've been kind of fantasizing about making an "ultimate PokeDex" out of a customized GBA SP (in red, of course) that has all the PokeDex info for all the gens in it for years now; I just don't have an SP and the stuff for GBA homebrew and hadn't gotten around to learning how to code for GBA. XD So I'm looking forward to seeing this guide.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxysoft View Post
Why limit yourself to the GBA? You can make cross-platform applications with next to no limitations easily. I don't see why one would like to restrict themselves to the GBA hardware unless it's for learning purposes. For anyone wondering, programming a Pokemon game for the GBA wouldn't be any easier and if anything, it would be harder.
There is a coolness factor in making something that will actually work on a gaming system. Also with all the emulators out there GBA is pretty much multi-platform.
__________________

Pokemon Game Editor Download!
Accept no imitations!
  #16    
Old February 25th, 2014 (5:41 AM).
Darkness's Avatar
Darkness Darkness is offline
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the Land of Chaos
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 168
So, even if this does work as well as I can envision... How would you get it on a official cartridge. you can probably buy these on ebay, but still... I thought game companys had an official method back in the day for this with some high-tech machine or something... xD
__________________
"Deep into that Darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dare to dream before."

Darkness is my name, Darkness is my gain~
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:55 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2016 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2016 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.

Acknowledgements
Use of PokéCommunity Assets
vB Optimise by DragonByte Technologies Ltd © 2016.