The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:04 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

Nature: Calm
Excuse the weird title.

Anyway, what types of stories do you normally write? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about genres here. I'm talking about chaptered fics, creative nonfiction, short stories, poems, and all that jazz. Is there a type of writing that you struggle with most? Which one do you find as your default style?
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Yukiyo Kayume
The Leviathan

Nature: Relaxed
hmmm, in the past I wrote a lot of chaptered stories (that I never finished, mind you...lol) .. I mean I still do, but yeah

lately I've been trying to write more short stories, although I usually wind up with a collection of them that go together and share the same storyline.

I used to love writing poems, but I hardly write them anymore.

I guess I struggle with finishing longer stories, usually because I wind up starting a new story and just never get back to the old one... it's a vicious cycle lol.

Friend Code: 2148-9230-3068
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I'm so verbose that my stories tend to always go novel-length. There are times when I write short stories, but they turn into collections of short stories that then lead me to get ideas for novel-length stories. I just like exploring stories so well that keeping a low word limit is impossible for me, apparently.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

Nature: Calm
All of my ideas seem to fit into a novel. I don't know what it is, but it's going to take little Billy twelve chapters to get to that park, and here's why...

Okay, so maybe not that, but I struggle so much with short stories. If someone else gives me an idea for one, I can hammer it out no problem. The second it's a free choice, I'm in trouble. I guess I want all of my ideas to be these lengthy stories that make you feel every emotion you can possibly feel, but that's being a bit too optimistic.

Anyway, one thing I always struggle with, whether or not an idea is presented to me, is poetry. It's always been my weakest writing style and I really wish I were better at it. Not for my sake, but so that I can give proper feedback to the poetry threads we have here.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Many of my chaptered stories tend to be around eight to ten chapters, my longest one being twenty-four a while back. Lately though I've been doing short to slightly long stories that usually range from three hundred to four thousand words (a couple went over the five thousand mark). The non-chaptered fics around ninety percent of them were from prompts, so I'm able to have them be focused on the specific requirements.

I too am not so great with poetry, haha. Been so long since I did one.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Captain Oshawott
The Otter Pirate

Nature: Jolly
My major malfunction is that I can't seem to get my timing down. I could write a short story no problem, because the pace is pretty quick anyways. But if I'm trying to write one of my longer chaptered Fics, or even my own original stories, I find myself unable to get the tempo of when a chapter should end, and when it shouldn't.

On top of that, I may have a decent vocabulary, but I don't have quite enough to make my longer stories have decent sized chapters. They aren't necessarily short, mind you, I just don't feel satisfied with their length, sometimes.

With both of those issues aside, it's easy to say that I'm better at short stories than most anything. But I really want to get better at writing longer fics too. Poems I can do, but they aren't really the best.

Thanks for reading the above post!
Big thanks to Maxresh for signature image
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I often plan for long, chaptered fic- just opened my WIP folder and found the first chapters of three different ones- but what I actually write and complete are mostly short fics, 900-2k words. They're the ones that I get just a shot of inspiration for and have to write and do all in one sitting. I'm actually not very good at planning to write- I have so much fun with backstory and setup and general plot but I'm just not good at implementation haha.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Absol
Community Supporter

Hmmm what have I not done? I write mainly a few pages when the inspiration hits and then I find out that oh no I have another novel here. D: I've done some short stories, but very few. I tried doing some one shot fics for a bit (write a page or less and make a whole story out of it). Dabbled in poetry some, tried a play once... I get bored of one thing so I go to try something new and end up finding a way to improve my overall ability in writing. Although, my main one I do is novels simply because I love long things that have plenty of plot and action to them.

Also Slayr, the title to this is creative +1
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:17 AM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
I've written a mixture of short one-shots, chaptered fics (my first being a ~ 200,000 word parody :V), and drabbles every now and again. And song parodies too, which I really need to get back into. [/lazy]. Maybe I try to do too many things at once...

Not much for poetry myself. My 'attempts' haven't been great imo, haha.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links