Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 25th, 2014 (08:46 AM). Edited February 25th, 2014 by Garuga17.
Garuga17

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
On a clean FR rom, the last two bytes should be free space. So, I took advantage of this. What my program does, is it checks those two bytes. If they are FFFF, then it copies the BPRE section of the ini and assigns it an unused number. This number is written to the last two bytes of the rom. Now, it will read that number as the game code and load that section in the ini. Essentially, I am tagging each rom with a number that matches a number in the ini.
I just re-read your pdf, and now i understand, so its like your program differentiate roms by read the byte at FFFFFE (which is created automatically for clean rom, or manually for already repointed rom)

One more thing, the "unused number" you're talking about(which is used to replace section header), could be anything right(in hex)?

EDIT: Figured out everything, i mean, i can use it now, thanks, you and whoever helps this project is AMAZING
Old February 25th, 2014 (10:01 AM).
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
Well, I tried using MrDollSteaks' awesome patch, and it did not work. Just wanted to make that clear.

Fairy-type in Pokémon Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8185719&postcount=288
Old February 25th, 2014 (02:56 PM).
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by LCCoolJ95:
Well, I tried using MrDollSteaks' awesome patch, and it did not work. Just wanted to make that clear.
Good sir, that is one of the least clear statements I have ever seen. Please tell me exactly what you did to load this rom. Did you change the gamecode to MrDS and then load it? What exactly did you do?

PS: If another person tells me his hack doesn't work when he and I both confirmed it, then we are going to have issues.

Paired with Simba
Old February 25th, 2014 (05:40 PM).
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Ah, I apologize. Here's the error I received. It's within the attachment files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen III MrDS.JPG‎ (25.8 KB, 62 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Fairy-type in Pokémon Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8185719&postcount=288
Old February 25th, 2014 (06:01 PM).
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Ah, I apologize. Here's the error I received. It's within the attachment files.
Yup, I know exactly what you did. You are using the clean FR ini with his patch, which has a repointed move table. Sound like a good idea, right? lol, nope. First, go to 0xAC in the rom in a hex editor and change BPRE to MrDS. Then, go to 0xFFFFFE and make sure the two bytes there are FFFF. Once that is done, it should load fine.

Paired with Simba
Old February 25th, 2014 (07:00 PM).
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Okay, I did it...now it works. Time to expand the amount of Pokémon

Old February 25th, 2014 (08:05 PM).
karatekid552

Okay, I did it...now it works. Time to expand the amount of Pokémon
BTW, what I just told you was carefully outlined in the documentation. So, yeah, before you ask me any questions, just consult the documentation. I'll be happy to answer any more questions or clarify things, but I did spend time writing that for a reason.

Paired with Simba
Old February 25th, 2014 (10:57 PM).
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Stahp makin' me look bad by harassin' KK!
JK

But yeah no seriously, anyone who is using my patch, read the documentation.
Karatekid has spent enogh time developing this and making it work smoothly with my rombase,
I feel terrible when he gets questioned about it!

Anyways KK you superstar, great to finally see it here on PC
Old February 26th, 2014 (11:25 PM).
LuxrayHacker

Nature: Mild
How do you edit cries for all the added pokemon?
Old February 27th, 2014 (03:38 AM).
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by LuxrayHacker:
How do you edit cries for all the added pokemon?
Until I add a cry editor, you need to expand the main cry table (the one with pointers in it to the cries) and then remap the Hoenn cry index table (which I expanded for you) to the new cry table you made. Then you can insert your cries.

Paired with Simba
Old February 27th, 2014 (09:37 AM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
One thing, i can't understand how to make MrD's patch work. The instruction on the documentation is not clear.
Quote:
Using a hex editor, go to 0xAC in your rom. On the side, you will see text (BPRE would hope, lol). Type over this will MrDS, then load your rom up in the suite. It will read from MrDollSteak's section of the ini and load
everything just fine. After the first loading, it is okay to change it back to BPRE.
I cant seem to understand the bolded part.

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”

Pair | Pair| Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| Text Hex Convert v2.1.0 |
Old February 27th, 2014 (04:57 PM).
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by Hiroshi Kaede:
One thing, i can't understand how to make MrD's patch work. The instruction on the documentation is not clear.

I cant seem to understand the bolded part.
That would be me typing things wrong. (You've got hand it to me though, I didn't make that many errors.)

Go to 0xAC in a hex editor. Then, one the side, you should see BPRE. Change it to MrDS, then save. Load the rom once, close the program and change it back to BPRE. Now it should load fine.

Paired with Simba
Old February 27th, 2014 (08:28 PM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

That would be me typing things wrong. (You've got hand it to me though, I didn't make that many errors.)

Go to 0xAC in a hex editor. Then, one the side, you should see BPRE. Change it to MrDS, then save. Load the rom once, close the program and change it back to BPRE. Now it should load fine.
Oh, thanks KK! I guess it should be fine now. =D
small mistakes cause a lot of trouble, really

楓 弘詩
machines to execute. ”

Old February 28th, 2014 (03:29 AM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet

There's actually been some discussion about this. Jambo says there's a second, unused cry table after first (directly after). Doesnt says it's for moves like growl and howl and stuff, which is why they're reversed. Instead of expanding the cry table, I left it and replaced after. So far so good, nothing to report broken. Idk.
Old February 28th, 2014 (03:46 AM).
karatekid552

Oh, thanks KK! I guess it should be fine now. =D
small mistakes cause a lot of trouble, really
+1 man, that damn +1.......... Lol, worst mistake in the history of simple mistakes is forgetting the +1 in ASM.

Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
There's actually been some discussion about this. Jambo says there's a second, unused cry table after first (directly after). Doesnt says it's for moves like growl and howl and stuff, which is why they're reversed. Instead of expanding the cry table, I left it and replaced after. So far so good, nothing to report broken. Idk.
Personally, I have no idea. In order to find out, why not set a break on read to the first 6 pointers in the second table, then play through a good chunk of the game. If nothing is triggered, you may be alright.

Paired with Simba
Old February 28th, 2014 (04:38 AM).
Micael Alighieri
From Whack a Hack! RetroYouTuber?

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Micael Alighieri
Thanks for the tool, I have some questions:

Will you make it compatible with Pokemon Emerald, please?
Is it compatible with expanded rom's?
If not, will you make it compatible with those rom's, please?

Good job
Old February 28th, 2014 (05:06 AM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
It's unused. I was mistaken and probably just broke something else accidentally when I initially tested it.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old February 28th, 2014 (02:39 PM).
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by Black pass:
Thanks for the tool, I have some questions:

Will you make it compatible with Pokemon Emerald, please?
Is it compatible with expanded rom's?
If not, will you make it compatible with those rom's, please?

Good job
1) It is, only expanding pokemon doesn't happen because there is almost NO research into that area in any other game. If someone does perfect it like Doesnt did, I will add it.

2) Completely.

3) Same as 1 Completely compatible except for expanding Pokes.

Paired with Simba
Old February 28th, 2014 (03:14 PM).
Dragonflye

The best Romhacking Tool ever.

Old February 28th, 2014 (05:21 PM). Edited February 28th, 2014 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by Dragonflye:
The best Romhacking Tool ever.
I agree. Thanks!

Anyway, I completely redid the position editor.:D Now it is much, much cleaner and more responsive:

Spoiler:

So yeah, I want to release my Linux version (as shown here) but I can't get it to compile into a binary properly. There is a bug running though pyinstaller that either doesn't import my GUI or doesn't import Python depending on my settings. So obviously without one or the other this won't work. I am still looking for a solution. However, the Windows version will get a bump up to version 1.1.0 either tonight or tomorrow.:D

Success! Using a development version of pyinstaller, I was able to avoid the bug and now it runs on Ubuntu 13.10 as an executable. That file will be available tonight.

Paired with Simba
Old February 28th, 2014 (08:07 PM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

I agree. Thanks!

Anyway, I completely redid the position editor.:D Now it is much, much cleaner and more responsive:

Spoiler:

So yeah, I want to release my Linux version (as shown here) but I can't get it to compile into a binary properly. There is a bug running though pyinstaller that either doesn't import my GUI or doesn't import Python depending on my settings. So obviously without one or the other this won't work. I am still looking for a solution. However, the Windows version will get a bump up to version 1.1.0 either tonight or tomorrow.:D
Oi oi oi! That looks very pretty KK! Love the repositioning thing
Good job!

楓 弘詩
machines to execute. ”

Old February 28th, 2014 (09:47 PM).
karatekid552

Oi oi oi! That looks very pretty KK! Love the repositioning thing
Good job!
Thanks.

I just uploaded the new version. Have fun guys! Keep sending in the bug reports. I do read them all.

BTW, I found a guy who will compile this using the Chinese encoding!

Paired with Simba
Old March 1st, 2014 (01:49 AM).
bitelaserkhalif
BITE LASER wants to fight!

Great Tools!Now I can take out pesky, useless glitch pokemon
Old March 1st, 2014 (05:42 PM).
Tylerthecreator

The Icon editing part of the Suite seems to change the color of inserted images weirdly. When I use Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor, the image saves just fine, then if I used the same image in the Suite, the image colors become weird.
Old March 1st, 2014 (09:38 PM).
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by Tylerthecreator:
The Icon editing part of the Suite seems to change the color of inserted images weirdly. When I use Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor, the image saves just fine, then if I used the same image in the Suite, the image colors become weird.
That is because the icon needs to conform to one of the in game palettes. I have yet to write an algorithm to select the best palette, so you will have to eyeball it by loading it into each one an testing it. There are only three, so I hope you can handle that.

Paired with Simba
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links