The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old February 5th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal

Advertise here
So apparently today the Pokemon Bank is available to Americans.

I want to know how it works. Obviously, this implies some sort of packet sniffing, etc. As of right now, I'm downloading the app onto my 3DS and just installed Wireshark & WinPCap. The end goal of this project to be, of course, running our own personal pokemon bank servers.

Just thought I'd post a thread to spark interest, and organize results.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Karjam
AKA KarjamP

First and foremost, we need to know how the 3DS connects to Nintendo Network, since Pokémon Bank needs it to work. (Even if it's just for logging in or for obtaining information about the user in order to match up with its own record of your stuff.)
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Well my first attempts were fairly disappointing. I ran the packet sniffer, and I found my 3DS when it tried a connection test, and when it did street pass data. But as far as I can tell, my 3DS must be picking up some other source of wi-fi when connecting to the pokemon bank services. ie: I could not find any packets with my ds's MAC address or local IP. Much less determine where the heck it was making requests to/fro. Perhaps it disguises itself on the network as if it were actually two machines? I dunno man.

????????????

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old March 15th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Lucariokid13

Nature: Calm
I've got a question what will be achieved from figuring the Pokemon Bank server out? I mean it's not like Gamefreak/Nintendo will abandon it when gen VII comes out, because they stated that Pokemon Bank will be the new method of bringing pokemon from older games to the current games.

Lucariokid13 c:
Old March 16th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
The end goal of this project to be, of course, running our own personal pokemon bank servers.
See the above quote. Honestly, if we are able to get this figured out, or if there are any changes to the GTS, we could potentially make a better version of the GTS for the pokemon games without needing to touch the ROM at all.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:04 AM
2012maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
See the above quote. Honestly, if we are able to get this figured out, or if there are any changes to the GTS, we could potentially make a better version of the GTS for the pokemon games without needing to touch the ROM at all.
Yes! I would LOVE a gen 6 spoofed GTS! Gen 5's was good, but now it is impossible, because "craptendo" had to disable Wifi features for gen 5 and under. But lucky for me, I still can do hacked 'mons! With AR!! I would love to see this project get somewhere. Good luck to you!
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

If you're looking for a good time, or just want to chat, come over to Weloxux and I's channel at:
http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.mibbit...%23Dragons_Den

Old May 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM
3dd13
Advanced Music Remixer

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to 3dd13
well, if you fill me in on how to configure things to get going, i wont mind doing some sniffing on my end for ya. My router has the ability to log all data going through it.
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dd13 View Post
well, if you fill me in on how to configure things to get going, i wont mind doing some sniffing on my end for ya. My router has the ability to log all data going through it.
I was using a program called "Wireshark". However, your router is probably a bit different. If you figure out how to use your router for collecting data, let me know and give me some sample data, and I'll tell you what the various things are / what they mean.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here