Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Casting
Reload this Page [Other] Vale Institute of Magic (M) (OOC/SU)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Casting Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2014 (01:56 PM).
Conductor of the POOP TRAIN!

Send a message via Skype™ to Songbird
Since you, Colony and I already worked quite literally everything out in PMs, Grif is acceptified.

Go ahead and make your first post to begin Violett's second day at Vale. :3
Old March 16th, 2014 (02:54 PM).
It's About Dominating!

Nature: Lax
Come on, everybody, post! Or say something in the OOC, at least... Songbird and I are working on a post that will progress the day into the first class of the day, just to give everyone a heads up, so be ready for it.

More to come, but they're in the works. Also, if you like what you see and want one just ask. It's not like I've got anything better to do (other than write posts).
Old March 24th, 2014 (01:41 PM).

Nature: Lonely
im in for this my su will be done soon. im going to be earth magic if that is okay.
Old March 24th, 2014 (01:49 PM).
It's About Dominating!

Woo, can't wait to see what you come up with.

More to come, but they're in the works. Also, if you like what you see and want one just ask. It's not like I've got anything better to do (other than write posts).
Old March 24th, 2014 (04:26 PM). Edited March 25th, 2014 by eeveeandmew.

old su that was bad
Spoiler:
Name: Heather Jones

Nickname: Leaf (Because heather is a plant)

Element: Earth

Spells:

Instincts~ For a short period of time, this makes the her able to move 2x as fast and attack 1.5x as hard, but makes damage taken double.

Sprout~ Causes over sized and very fast Venus flytraps to appear in a circle around herself, protecting her from attackers until they are destroyed or if three minutes pass. If their leaves are plucked by someone who knows earth magic, It will heal them at the cost of damaging the plant, effectively draining 1/3 the flytrap's power per leaf.

Rose Shot~ A cloud of large rose thorns are fired at a target. Most of the time, they are shot at a targets feet to immobilize them. If shot at a wall, they can be climbed on. They fade after ten minutes if shot at a wall. If a non-earth user climbs them, there is a 50% chance of being damaged every thorn you touch.

Appearance:

Personality: Heather Jones is a nice girl once you get to know her. At first, she appears to be the kind of girl who would stay away from others, as she looks small and frail. She uses this to her advantage and at first people she meets feel sorry for her. After a quick chat, you would know she is very popular in her hometown and wants to do nothing more than hang out with some friends. There is only one thing she hates, and that is someone better with magic than her. If you make her angry, there is no stopping her. Then again, it is hard to get her upset in the fist place.

History: When she was 3, she was caught in a flood that wiped out her home, and her family. As she was washed southward, a tree bent and picked her out of the water. Another tree reached for her mother, but was a split second too late, and she was pulled under the water and drowned. The trees just managed to save her 7 year old brother, who is the person who took care of her, alone in the woods. When she was 8, she found a small village who offered her and her brother a place to stay. As she sat in there new garden, planting some special green roses, a stranger walked toward her. Her roses reacted to her fright and fired thorns at the man. The man fell on the ground, dropping a knife that disappeared into nothing. His feet still pierced by thorns, he ran away. Heather decided that there was something different about her, and her green roses. Concentrating, she willed the roses to shoot at her fence. As she hoped, they did as she wanted. The mayor of the town said she could control magic, just as she believed. As she grew older, she practiced more and more as she dreamed of being some use somewhere.
Code: Challenge me!!!

Other: none
Old March 24th, 2014 (04:39 PM). Edited March 24th, 2014 by Songbird.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but a major problem with your SU that completely ruins everything and requires you to scrap the history as a whole: trees aren't conscious. They can't rescue her. They can't actively rescue anyone. I can go more in-depth as a GM towards your SU, but since that's such a glaring issue and will force you to redo pretty much the entire thing, I'll only tell you of any other problems on request. Please read through the other SUs (and the reviews Colony and I have posted) so you can get an idea of what can and can't happen.
Old March 24th, 2014 (04:57 PM).
It's About Dominating!

What my cohort is trying to say is that Vale is unlike other forms of magic settings. It's very much based in reality, as magic only serves as a tool, which is why the public is still unaware of the existence of magic. Songbird is right, though. There are a some important changes that need to occur before the SU can be accepted. Plants being sentient is one of the big problems, as it goes against the realistic setting of Vale. Secondly, elements are extremely literal in their usage in Vale. Earth solely involves rocks, dirt, etc., and not plants, so Heather's spells aren't actually in-line with her element. As a sort of side note on the spells, I really like the creativity, but some of the spells have a real bad balancing issue. Remember, spells can be strong, but they must have a consequence. If it seems strong, there's almost always a negative effect on the user, such as cuts, burns, contusions, etc. Hope that helps.

Old March 24th, 2014 (04:57 PM).

she was using her magic without realizing it. did i word that poorly or what X.X ill try again tommorrow when i have 2 more hours to work on it.
Old March 24th, 2014 (05:49 PM). Edited March 27th, 2014 by tenthcompanion.
Glass Cannon

Nature: Quirky
Hello all I've been sneaking around this thread for the past couple days and I think I've finally come up with a character idea... ish. I'll have my SU fully completed sometime tomorrow.

SU is now complete!

Spoiler:

Name: Guinevere Octavia Queen
Nickname: Gwen (Her childhood nicknames were "Princess" or "Queenie", but if you address her with one of these you might just get punched in the face.)

Element: Fire

Spells:
Excalibur – Every hero needs a good sword, Gwen’s just happens to be made out of fire. Drawing from the same Arthurian legend as her namesake, she summons a longsword made from pure fire into her right hand. Excalibur isn’t made of physical material, so it cannot strike or deflect like a real sword would. Instead, each slice of the sword sends out a thin line of fire at the opponent. (Gwen can turn the blade into solid flames, but can only maintain it for a short period of time.)

Fire Flight – Using quick fire blasts emitted from her hands and/or feet, Gwen can use the explosive energy to propel herself higher and farther than normal. This spell can be used both to enhance her speed and to give her more lift while jumping. If she finds herself falling from high up she can also use a similar fire blast to slow her momentum and cushion her fall. Recently she has been practicing jumping high into the air using consecutive fire blasts but it has been proving rather difficult. (A quick fire blast can be used as an offensive attack in a pinch but she will mainly use Excalibur for her attacks.)

Dragonfire – This spell is by far Gwen’s most powerful and most “epic”, as she likes to put it. She summons a ring of fire around herself and raises the flames up to be as tall as she is, serving as a barrier between her and anyone who dares get too close. Additionally, she can shape the flames into a long, serpentine dragon that can glide over and attack her enemies. The barrier and the dragon are made from the same fire, therefore Gwen cannot defend and attack at the same time. No other spell can be active when Dragonfire is in use. This spell requires much concentration and cannot be maintained for a long period of time.

Personality: Stubborn, competitive, loud… these are probably the first things that come to mind when thinking of Gwen. She’s a girl with a single purpose in life: to become (in her own words) a “kick-ass fire powered superhero”. After years of reading young-adult fantasy novels and playing countless video games, Gwen has become completely enamored with the fantasy realm. Dragons, heroes, kings and queens, evil villains in disguise… everything. Magic makes her feel like she can be a part of those impossible worlds and there is nothing that she wants more.

Gwen is a very bright girl, but unfortunately she lacks the motivation to do any studying. What’s the point of learning algebra when she could be off saving virtual worlds instead? Now that she’s been accepted into Vale it will be very difficult for her teachers to keep her in the classroom and off the practice grounds. In addition, she is stubborn and competitive to a fault and will not accept defeat easily. Honestly she probably won’t even accept defeat when she’s lying immobile on the ground.

Gwen is never afraid to speak her mind and she’ll always give her opinion whether it was asked for or not. Her loud and somewhat aggressive personality type often rubs people the wrong way so her friends tend to come and go quickly. However, if you stick around long enough you might discover the positive aspects of Gwen’s personality. Her competitiveness turns into a burning passion; her stubborn nature reveals perseverance in the face of any obstacle. She is loud because she wants to be heard and to be able to have a say in this huge world. If you can get past her abrasive first impression, Gwen is a kind and loyal friend who is worth having around.

History: Gwen was born into an average little family who live an average little town. The only notable thing about the Queen family (apart from their daughter being able to produce fire at will) is that the children have highly unusual names. Guinevere Octavia is the eldest and only daughter, and her brother Percival Augustus is the youngest. Luckily their names are easily shortened to “Gwen” and “Percy” so they can’t complain to their parents too much. Gwen’s parents are both history teachers, one at the local university and another at her high school, which explains why their children are named after famous Arthurian and Roman figures. To their dismay, Gwen has never shared their love of learning and has been occasionally skipping classes ever since she started middle school. At first, they tried taking away her books and games in order to force her to finish her homework and attend classes, but that only resulted in an unhappy daughter and equally unhappy parents. Middle school was also the time when Gwen started to manifest her powers so angry Gwen was considerably more dangerous than most teens. Eventually her parents cooked up an idea that actually worked and gave their daughter an incentive to learn… sometimes. Since Gwen loved fantasy so much, they decided to delve into their history books and look for all the interesting myths and legends they could find. Instead of depriving her of fantasy, they would reward her good behavior with awesome and foreign tales of magic and monsters.

Even though her academics were somewhat improved thanks to the love and care (and bribery?) of her parents, school was still not a happy place for Gwen. There were more problems to deal with than just attending classes. No… not the sudden appearance of her magical abilities. That wasn’t a “problem” to Gwen – it was freaking awesome! It was her classmates at school that she had to deal with. Ever since elementary school, she always had her nose stuck in a book and her eyes stuck to a computer screen. This asocial, daydreaming personality – coupled with her “stupid” (according to some of her classmates) name – turned her into the outcast weird kid at school. By the time middle school rolled around Gwen had had enough of the teasing so she decided to fight back. Literally. “You wanna call me Nerd Girl again? Princess of LaLa Land? Go on, I dare you.” Obviously this aggressive attitude and physical retaliation didn’t go over well with her teachers and she’s found herself in detention on more than one occasion. Gwen has been relatively detention-free this past year but that’s only because her peers learned to back off. Of course this also means that Gwen has essentially zero friends…

Now that she’s been accepted into Vale, Gwen hopes to leave the troublesome past behind her and maybe make some real friends. That is, in between reading, gaming, and honing her fire-wielding abilities.

Code: What're you lookin' at? You wanna challenge me or something?

Other: While Gwen is most interested in perfecting her fire magic, recently she’s shown some interest in learning some other, more defensive magic. Earth, maybe?
Old March 24th, 2014 (06:07 PM).
Cookies are a necessary evil.

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to DLMuerte
Quote originally posted by eeveeandmew:
she was using her magic without realizing it. did i word that poorly or what X.X ill try again tommorrow when i have 2 more hours to work on it.
The problem is probably the wording. If you had made it clear that she was using it, then I don't think there'd be a problem on that front. although you got ninja'd anyways and told that you can't used plant-based spells to begin with, so I dunno if that deters you now or something

Anyways, Colony [and Birdy too :3], will I be RPing some of the duels involving sophomores due to me using 'Mari? I think it could be fun, but I'm quickly getting to the point where AP exams are in May and activity will plummet for two weeks or something for me. Not soon soon, but in about a month~

I might not be dead! I might be. I dunno. Nachos.
Old March 24th, 2014 (07:01 PM). Edited March 24th, 2014 by Colony.
It's About Dominating!

@Kenneth: If you'd like, then by all means. I think it would be kind of cool to see 'Mari in action, though. I understand how exams and what not are rapidly approaching for many of us (I have college finals near the end of April/beginning of May). Personally, I don't see how the slight down time for activity would be a problem. Besides, the tournament wouldn't be until the IC weekend (Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon), and it's only early/mid-week. Granted, we do plan on getting the plot to progress at a much quicker pace soon, but Birdy and I have been kinda busy. We plan on getting the class started this week, so that's always nice.

@Tenth: Cool, I can't wait to see the finished product, but I can say that I like the pic and that everything is looking interesting so far. Btw, I didn't know you were using Birdy as your inspiration, XD.

Old March 25th, 2014 (06:47 AM).

the new su will be up soon. I had a very bad misconception with earth magic. Thank you for clearing that up
Old March 25th, 2014 (07:59 AM).

My new SU!

Name: Heather Jones

Nickname:

Element: Earth

Spells:

Stone Shield~ The user casts a stone shield around them using a lot of energy to protect them from high damaging magic. If the user falls asleep, the shield disintegrates after 10 minutes.

Stone Build~ Stone is created by combining elements in the air. It can be formed in any shape, but the larger it is, the more energy it takes to create.

Golem Create~ Stone is moved to create the illusion of life. The golems take more energy to move the larger they are.

Appearance:
Spoiler:

Normal clothes
Spoiler:

Duel clothes
Spoiler:

Special clothes
Spoiler:

Personality: Heather Jones is a nice girl once you get to know her. At first, she appears to be the kind of girl who would stay away from others, as she looks small and frail. She uses this to her advantage and at first people she meets feel sorry for her. After a quick chat, you would know she is very popular in her village and wants to do nothing more than hang out with some friends. There is only one thing she hates, and that is someone better with magic than her. If you make her angry, there is no stopping her. Then again, it is hard to get her upset in the fist place.

History: When she was 5, she was stuck in her house after an earthquake. A section of the stone floor she had been standing on had risen off the ground because of her magic. She was the only one in her village to survive. As she lived alone in the area around where her home used to be, she started to grasp the fact that she could control stone. If something threatened her, stone would rise around her, protecting her from whatever tried to hurt her. The downside was that when this happened, she would become exhausted and fall asleep. To try to not fall asleep right after this happens, she started sleeping more to conserve energy, which led to her being able to manipulate stone at will. Using this, she started to build structures such as houses near where she used to live. By the time she was 15, she had made a very small town completely out of stone. When she was satisfied with it, she sat out to find another village. When she found one, she said that she had found an intact village of stone. As she led some people back to her village of stone, she told them she had no family. They let her keep the smallest house in the village and she is very happy there.

Code: Challenge me!!!

Other: She wears her duel clothes when there may be duels that day.
Old March 25th, 2014 (04:39 PM). Edited March 26th, 2014 by Songbird.

We have another glaring problem that screws up literally the entire thing. Sorry; I probably should have brought it up when you made the first one, so that one's on me. However, I did explicitly request that you read the other sign-ups and our reviews of them to find out what kind of things are or aren't allowed. The following question should not come as a shock.

How did she not die? That is, she's five years old and somehow manages to live on her own for ten straight years with no help or communication from any other living things whatsoever. Do you see the buttload of problems that come from this yet?

If you'd like, I am willing to list off everything else that's problematic, and Colony and I are more than willing to try helping you to create an acceptable character, but this is, without a doubt, the most important thing that ruins the entire signup.

Also, please don't double post.
Old March 26th, 2014 (07:01 PM).
Glass Cannon

So... it took longer than I thought for me to finish my SU but it's finally done I've edited my previous post to include the completed form under the spoiler. If I need to change/modify anything just let me know.
Old March 26th, 2014 (07:27 PM). Edited March 26th, 2014 by Songbird.

I (very thankfully (seriously, it's a huge relief)) see no problems with your spells. Dragonfire is well-balanced to leave Gwen vulnerable in at least one way, and Fire Flight gives Gwen a good reason to call Soren her senpai. I demand they be friend! (It's pretty much exactly the same as one of Soren's spells, which isn't a bad thing, and it's acceptable since I redacted everything in Soren's sheet, so the only thing to go on about Soren's spells is a couple posts involving a fight. Speaking of, I should un-redact some of that.)

I noticed you described her behavior as antisocial, but "asocial" is the word you're looking for with her general indifference/avoidance in regards to the real world. "Antisocial" behavior is much more hostile towards society. Not a problem with the SU, just something I found while reading it that a lot of people miss. :3
Old March 26th, 2014 (07:42 PM). Edited March 26th, 2014 by Colony.
It's About Dominating!

After a some discussion of your SU, Tenth, we decided that Gwen is accepted. You are free to begin her second day at Vale; grab some breakfast and head to class. Also, Birdy wants Gwen and Soren to be gamer buddies.

Old March 27th, 2014 (07:54 PM).

Nature: Quiet
Is this still open, I would like to join.
Old March 27th, 2014 (08:11 PM). Edited March 27th, 2014 by Songbird.

Nope, we are closing up shop, shutting down and falling out. Colony's kicking everyone out, and I'm burning the place down for the insurance money imeanwat?

Yes, Vale is still open to new players. Simply fill out one of the character sheets and submit it to the OOC thread here, and wait for Colony's and my approval. If we don't let you through, we'll tell you what's wrong and needs to be fixed before you can start posting in the IC thread. Then you try fixing it and the cycle starts over.

Since you're new to the RPC however, I recommend joining an RP with more lenience than Colony and I give. Joining an RP like the Pokémon Trainer Academy can help you make friends a lot easier, too, thanks to its population.
Old March 29th, 2014 (03:26 PM).

I am sure I can handle this roleplay, but thanks for the advice.
Old March 30th, 2014 (03:22 AM).
Evil Overlord
Platinum Tier

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Cosmic Fury
I'd like to reserve a spot for a Fire user, if that's alright with you guys. (Finding other things than Minecraft to occupy my time)

It's not all about the stats or the fight. It's all about who the characters are, and what they do.
Old March 30th, 2014 (03:59 AM).

The RP is already active. You can't really reserve anything.

Still, we do have a pyromancer spot open, so feel free to make a signup for it. (Though we're hurting for geomancers more than anything.)
Old March 30th, 2014 (11:47 AM).
Glass Cannon

I actually went into my SU planning to make a geomancer but by the time Guinevere's character was fleshed out... I just couldn't pick anything else but fire I'm still considering making another character and having her/him use earth magic but I haven't decided on anything yet.
Old March 30th, 2014 (02:37 PM).
Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866

Question before I post: is everyone together for homeroom or do the different elements have their own homerooms? Planning on posting sometime tomorrow and wanted to be sure.

Pokemon Training Academy - Shawn Williams (Sting *in box*, Cactuar, Zapper, Shiva, Pyra, Rocky, Crash)
Old March 30th, 2014 (03:50 PM).
It's About Dominating!

@siiadams: Everybody is in the same class. To compensate for the various different elements, the teachers cycle for every class.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links