Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase
Reload this Page FireRed Pokémon Throwback: A Definitive Kanto Experience

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old February 12th, 2014 (10:41 PM).

I am really enjoying your hack so far but I did find a bug . The TM on the first floor of Mt. moon, bullet seed I think, keeps on respawning whenever I pick it up.
Old February 13th, 2014 (01:35 AM).

Nature: Mild
As I really want to download this, I couldn't. It says in google chrome that dldropboxusercontent maybe an attacker and won't allow me to access it. The same happened in Internet Explorer. Can you move the download link? Mediafire is good.
Old February 13th, 2014 (01:36 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Legions:
I am really enjoying your hack so far but I did find a bug . The TM on the first floor of Mt. moon, bullet seed I think, keeps on respawning whenever I pick it up.
Ah, yes. When I was testing the fixed TM-get fanfare, I removed the ID for that TM for easy access to it. I must have forgot to add it back before releasing the update. I'll fix that come next release, but for now you can enjoy unlimited Bullet Seed!

Quote originally posted by Lightracer:
As I really want to download this, I couldn't. It says in google chrome that dldropboxusercontent maybe an attacker and won't allow me to access it. The same happened in Internet Explorer. Can you move the download link? Mediafire is good.
Odd, I have no issues downloading it regardless of what browser I'm using (my main one is Firefox, but IE didn't have any issues with it). You're also the first person to have any sort of issue with this. You sure it's not your antivirus or internet security program(s) falling for a red herring?

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Click Red to check out a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Old February 13th, 2014 (08:06 PM).

No worries. I stocked up like a crazy person.
Old February 18th, 2014 (08:09 PM). Edited February 21st, 2014 by RichterSnipes.
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Version 3.6 is now online!

PLEASE MAKE SURE NONE OF YOUR HEAVLIY-RELIED-ON SAVE STATES HAVE 8-BIT MUSIC PLAYING BEFORE YOU APPLY THE NEW PATCH (switch back to the Advanced music and re-save the state first).

Amongst all the Twitch Plays Pokemon insanity, I was able to crank out one more update for Throwback. What did I decide to update, you ask? Why, the tunes that are now ingrained into their heads of
people who've been paying too much attention to the stream, of course! This update alters the 8-bit tunes played through the GB Player item to be even more accurate to the original tunes. The noise instrument tracks, for instance, have been edited entirely. It also fixes a couple of bugs from the previous version.

Changelog

Spoiler:
GB Player:
  • Noise instruments now fixed to properly represent their original incarnation in most tracks.
  • Attacks/rises have been more properly implemented. Some of them aren't 100% accurate to the original games, but this is due to GB Synth discrepancies.
  • Lowered the LFO rates for a couple of tracks for the sake of palatable-ness.
  • Altered credits track to be closer to its R/G/B/Y incarnation.
Extras:
  • You can no longer gain duplicates of the Bullet Seed TM in Mt. Moon.
Complete Patch:
  • Pallet Town's place name is no longer capitalized.

Have fun!

Old February 20th, 2014 (08:49 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Thanks for the update RichterSnipes!
Old February 21st, 2014 (04:37 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

I've added a video demonstrating the GB Player item to the OP.

In case anyone was wondering what the tracks sounded like in the hack, now you can get a sample of it before applying the patch to your game!

Old February 21st, 2014 (07:53 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Version 3.6.1 Update

So, it looks like I was caught with my pants down when I uploaded v3.6. Here's a quick fix for an embarrassing error I made. Hopefully there aren't any more, but this deserves an immediate update due to how awful I think it is.

Changelog

Spoiler:
GB Player
  • Fixed missing noise instrument in the Viridian City tune.

Old February 21st, 2014 (08:44 PM).

Are you planning any other major changes?
Old February 21st, 2014 (10:15 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Quote originally posted by Ghost Down:
Are you planning any other major changes?
Well, I don't see why I wouldn't want to implement other things! It's just that many of those things will require a lot of time and learning to add to the game. I still want to do something about trade-evolved Pokémon that makes it so they still evolve through trade, but can be simulated in regular play. Plus I should consider how to add Celebi to the game.

Ultimately I think it's safe to say there won't be any major updates to Throwback for the immediate future. I'll keep supporting it and try to fix any issues you all run into. If other big features come, they'll be done gradually over time.

Old February 26th, 2014 (11:02 AM).

I am still loving the hack, but I've noticed something and I have a question.

In battle, when selecting an attack some of the attack's types are still capitalized (fighting, electric) which turns out is even more annoying that when they were all capitalized :-)

Secondly, do any other pokemon hold sun stones besides sunkerns? I'm hoping to get one off an oddish. Thank you so much for your work.
Old February 26th, 2014 (01:53 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

In battle, when selecting an attack some of the attack's types are still capitalized (fighting, electric) which turns out is even more annoying that when they were all capitalized :-)
I must have inadvertently decapitalized those when I shouldn't have. My mistake, I'll fix that soon!

Secondly, do any other pokemon hold sun stones besides sunkerns? I'm hoping to get one off an oddish. Thank you so much for your work.
Nope, only Sunkern hold them. Remember that Johto Pokémon still aren't accessible until after you beat the game, so it wouldn't matter if you got one from an Oddish or Gloom anyways. Plus having such an object available would make it so people are more likely to waste it before they can actually make use of it.

Old February 26th, 2014 (02:08 PM).

Thank you for the reminder.
Old February 27th, 2014 (04:21 AM).

Great great Hack, been playing for more than 25 hours now!! Thanks!!!
Old March 14th, 2014 (10:52 AM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Version 3.6.2 is up.

I made a quick fix to the Decap patch to keep move types lettering consistent. Thanks to Legions for pointing it out for me!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Decap:
  • All move type names in battle are now capitalized, to keep consistent with the official games.

Old March 20th, 2014 (07:07 PM).

Thanks! I can't wait to update.
Old March 24th, 2014 (07:01 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Version 3.7 Available

Spoiler:

Today marks a new era: The hack now has its own title screen! And two title changes! Check the spoiler above (or the OP) for the new screen! The exterior name of the hack is now Pokémon Throwback. The in-game name is now simply Pokémon (or Pokémon: Pocket Monsters, if you prefer that) when using the Catch 'em All patch or the complete hack. Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Catch 'em All:
  • The game now has a new, version-less title screen. It attempts to mix the best of both games in a way I'm able to accomplish.
  • In the credits, the game title has been changed from Pokémon FireRed Version to Pokémon: Pocket Monsters.
Decap:
  • Fixed title screen error generated from haphazard byte replacing.

Old March 25th, 2014 (07:06 AM).

Shhhweeet! New title screen looks awesome!
Old March 26th, 2014 (06:08 AM).

Sorry for the double post, but could you perhaps change the Venusaur sprite? 'cause FireRed has one of the ugliest Venusaur sprites in existence.
Old March 26th, 2014 (11:03 AM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Quote originally posted by Ghost Down:
Sorry for the double post, but could you perhaps change the Venusaur sprite? 'cause FireRed has one of the ugliest Venusaur sprites in existence.
Sorry, do you mean Venusaur's title screen sprite, or Venusaur's battle sprites? I don't plan to change individual battle sprites unless there is an obvious error with them.

Old March 26th, 2014 (02:49 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Announcement

After some thought, I decided to turn the hack in a new direction. You know how pretty much every FireRed hack is ONLY for FireRed? Well, now I'm making an effort to break that mold. Starting today, parts of Pokémon Throwback will be available for LeafGreen! As of right now, the GB Player and Wardrobe patches are available for patching to BPGE v1.0. I hope to bring the rest of the hack over in time.

For those of you who chose LeafGreen over FireRed at release, here's hoping you feel more at home now!

Old March 26th, 2014 (08:24 PM).

The battle sprites. Venusaur just looks ackward in my opinion.
Old March 29th, 2014 (07:59 AM).
Goofball

Location: In my house, In my state, in my country, on my continent, on my planet
Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by RichterSnipes:
Version 3.7 Available

Spoiler:

Today marks a new era: The hack now has its own title screen! And two title changes! Check the spoiler above (or the OP) for the new screen! The exterior name of the hack is now Pokémon Throwback. The in-game name is now simply Pokémon (or Pokémon: Pocket Monsters, if you prefer that) when using the Catch 'em All patch or the complete hack. Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Catch 'em All:
  • The game now has a new, version-less title screen. It attempts to mix the best of both games in a way I'm able to accomplish.
  • In the credits, the game title has been changed from Pokémon FireRed Version to Pokémon: Pocket Monsters.
Decap:
  • Fixed title screen error generated from haphazard byte replacing.
Awesome! Can't wait to try it out!

Just curious, have you thought of making TMs reusable like they are from Generation 5 onward? Or would that be a complex procedure?
Old March 29th, 2014 (01:29 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015

Quote originally posted by Kyo Razorblade Wolf:
Awesome! Can't wait to try it out!

Just curious, have you thought of making TMs reusable like they are from Generation 5 onward? Or would that be a complex procedure?
Oh trust me, reusable TMs is something I've wanted to have in this since I first added the Extras patch to the hack. There are easy ways to do it in FR/LG, but they're not full-featured in such a way that their implementation doesn't look unpolished.

One method involves a byte change that makes it so TMs aren't removed from your Bag/TM Case after use. However, the item quantity still appears. Not only that, but it is still sellable and tradeable across games. The intention is for there to be one of each TM in the game, just like the later games.

The other method is to change the "unknown" byte for each TM to the same value used for HMs. For Emerald this works fine, but in FR/LG it sticks an HM symbol on top of each TM. Now the TMs can't be sold or traded and don't display a quantity, but the inaccurate display of the HM symbol across every teachable move is an eyesore.

Then comes two problems regardless of which method is used. First: making certain TMs still purchasable in Poké Marts (specifically the Celadon Dept. Store), but not sellable. I'm not sure if there's a way to do that off the top of my head, but I don't think there is. Second: making it so TMs no longer restore PP. In Gens 1-4, TMs fill PP to the max when used. If you can use them an unlimited number of times, you'll suddenly have a permanent makeshift Ether/Elixir, which are supposed to be limited in quantity in the games. Once enough TMs are had, this can potentially be seen as game-breaking, particularly against the Elite Four. It could still be done with one-use TMs thanks to purchasable TMs, but it is highly infeasible due to high prices and move compatibility for Pokémon.

If such a way is found that alleviates all these issues, I'll add it to the hack. I want to make sure that my implementation of unlimited TM usage is just right from the start.

Old March 29th, 2014 (03:10 PM).

Was gonna say, if you have an issue with Espeon/Umbreon evolving, why not implement the Day Night System hack to your hack?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)