The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:33 AM
UnderMybrella
Some Game Developer

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldslayer608 View Post
You cannot replicate dedication. You either just have it or you don't and that is really what made PE successful.
This. Regardless of what happens, any sort of new kit would need to have a team of dedicated members working on it. I honestly believe if a team of dedicated members was put together, a new kit could have, at minimum, a basic kit out in a year. While it might not be fleshed out and support very much, it'd be possible.
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Obelisk Entertainment

I would like a script kit for RPG Maker VX Ace. Our team is currently working on a Pokemon game using the Crystal Engine created by crystalnoel42 I believe. I've checked out the essentials for RPG Maker XP and it seems really promising. However, with a little experimenting with it I've noticed some compatibility issues with Windows 8. I'm not entirely sure if this effects 7 or not, but I do know that XP really doesn't have support for anything than Windows XP. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Obelisk Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReusch View Post
Question: are you guys taking into account the potential cost for someone to develop on this new engine? For example, Essentials is free, but RMXP is $30. That's a reasonable amount of money. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but Unity Pro costs $1500 or a $75 monthly fee. It's completely unreasonable to expect any developer in these forums to put down that much on a fan game, so every feature you rely on in the case of Unity would have to be available in the free version.

Food for thought.
I'd gladly donate money in order to have a decent cross platform engine for Pokemon. If any developer is interested in doing something like this they should contact me. I have a goal of making the Pokemon Pangea. A Pokemon game with all regions available, along with a new custom one to connect all the ends. I would love to have our game available on as many platforms as possible. Our team is currently attempting to accomplish this using RPG Maker VX Ace. Although a Unity 3D engine would be way more beneficial due to being able to have the 3D aspects of X and Y...or perhaps even better.
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:58 PM
Pokegod7020
The Creator of the WIP game, Pokémon Cosmos. Looking for helpers! If you want to help, PM me!

Nature: Serious
First off, one thing that would be TOTALLY AWESOME TO SEE, buil in either RPG Maker(any one of them) or IG Maker, would be a Pokémon Mystery DUngeon Kit. Build Dungeons using the map editor, battles in the real overworld, etc.

Also, is it just me, or who would like to see a Pokémon Game, fully functional, like those built and completed by dedicated essentials developers, on the UNREAL ENGINE. Jesus, those graphics are F***ing amazing! Imagine how much potential pokemon could have.

just saying.
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely
The amount of negativity in this thread is awful. I fully support the creation of new engines and starter kits as choice is the most important thing to someone who is looking to develop games. I joined this community nearly 10 years ago and I've been working with RMXP nearly every year since then. Essentials was a fantastic new development in this community and I was amazed that it was even possible to do such a thing.

I remember back when there were no starter kits, no engines, nothing. Just a few menu scripts and a half functioning monster catch script. (The best kit I ever saw was Blizzard's which I might have a copy of somewhere). The whole fun of game development was to find the features you wanted and mix them up all together to get the product you desired. Essentials, because of its simplicity, spoiled most of us in that it was the only option we had if we wanted to create a fully fledged game. Everyone's games ended up looking like each others and it was all derivatives of the same work. Choice is absolutely essential in such a community because it gives us the freedom to express our work the way we want. Maybe some of us want a game that can run on mobile systems while others want just desktop. Some may want online features, some may want dual screen systems. Certainly, there exist extensions to Essentials that provide such feature (heck, I'm guilty of developing them) but these extensions are not what's needed. What's needed are fully integrated solutions that don't require a user to be splicing scripts together.

A lot of people here are not aware of it but there is a fully functional Pokemon starter kit for RMXP in the french dev-scene called the Pokemon Script Project. It's features rival that of Essentials and what's funny is that I'm not sure the french dev scene are even aware of Essentials. Those of you that think if Essentials is discontinued then pokemon game development will come to an end are blind and naive.

This community is quite frankly dying and it's nothing compared to its glory days 4/5 years ago. A new engine dedicated to Pokemon games is exactly what we need around here to breathe fresh life into this stagnant area of the internet. It is, quite frankly, long overdue; especially considering RMXP came out a decade ago.
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM
oxysoft

Pokemon Essentials is a huge hack, people use it because it's the only available option. You need to use external tools made by Maruno and co. because RMXP doesn't have proper support for these features. A new dedicated and full featured solution is what's needed. I am working on Pokesharp right now and although I'm not completely certain I won't abandon it, I feel good about it so far.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM
BonzaiRob
The Demon Plasterer

Nature: Adamant

Coming soon =D
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:35 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Holy mother of sweet Jesus, that looks absolutely amazing!

What language is this written in?
And is there a mapping tool for it, or do you make the maps with 3D modelers?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:29 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiRob View Post

Coming soon =D
*sarcasm* You mean I can play as a Porygon!? *sarcasm*

But seriously, this looks quite amazing, anymore details on it?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:13 AM
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely
http://3dpe.org/

That's their website. Pretty impressive stuff.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
BonzaiRob
The Demon Plasterer

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
Holy mother of sweet Jesus, that looks absolutely amazing!

What language is this written in?
And is there a mapping tool for it, or do you make the maps with 3D modelers?

Python and OpenGL. More details soon - it's not quite ready for public consumption, and a final version is a long way off.

(Also ignore the upside-down point sprites :/)
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Nilaul

Make it compatible with sketchup, and amazing things could be done.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Discord.

Send a message via Skype™ to Discord.
i would like an Pokemon Mystery Dungeon kit the most, since Essentials pretty much already has everything (except new Graphics) you need to make your own Pokemon game
Old May 24th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Obelisk Entertainment

After working with Unity 3D for quite some time I have some information to share with the community. First off for a Pokemon styled game you DO NOT NEED THE PRO version of Unity. You can use the free version (no trial, never expires) to do everything you want. I've done a lot of experimenting by replicating various Pokemon systems using both Javascript and C#. Let me tell you, it's actually EASIER than using RPG maker due to the many possibilities to do something. You aren't stuck in a linear path.

There are many features in Unity that just make what was hard in RPG maker stupid easy. One example is sprite sheets. In RPG maker everything had to be precisely formatted for it to work. In Unity there is a "auto cut" tool that takes a sprite and puts it in the animated order!

That and the mapping is significantly easier. You can scale any size of "texture" on the fly. No need to open up GIMP or Photoshop to do the tedious things required in RPG Maker.

The last thing I like to say is the fundamentals of classes make scripting way easier. I can't really explain why, it just works better for this type of thing.

P.S Documentation and Video tutorials on for Unity are in HIGH Quality.
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Florio
Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner

Nature: Lax
I think everyone makes good points on this thread. While a new engine would totally be awesome, I think we shouldn't take for granted what we already have, which is Essentials. Essentials has been in development for years now and it still isn't complete. Something even more complex is going to take even longer, unless a really dedicated team shows up. It is all down to the motivation of the developers. If the developers have the motivation and drive to finish everything Essentials needs, or start a new starter kit, then they can get it done. If they have no motivation, then it will never happen.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here