The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldslayer608 View Post
Swirling and Twirling

Hope everyone enjoys this one.
Now that's one awesome looking screenshot right there! (I'm not biased. Nope. Not at all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
That looks beautiful. Those tiles are epic. And if the functionality is just as impressive...wow.
Thank you for the kind words.
Old March 19th, 2014, 04:00 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldslayer608 View Post
Swirling and Twirling

So I have not really posted anything lately, for either Pillars of Destiny or Project Platinum. The real reason is that I have been busy and traveling on the weekend for the most part. But this was done a while ago and as much as I want to post the announcement thread for the Project Platinum resource pack, it is not ready yet. So you get this instead .

Huge shout out to tImE for the amazing tiles he did for the project, and Venom12 for a script that will allow the player to walk sideways and even upside down (Still trying to figure out how I want to implement this one in regards to tiles). The swirling clouds in the background are jumpy, but functional. I will try to add additional frames so that it is smoother but that is not really a major concern right now.

Hope everyone enjoys this one.
That looks incredible. Is the walking sideways/upside-down a public script or did he do it just for you?
Old March 19th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
That looks beautiful. Those tiles are epic. And if the functionality is just as impressive...wow.
The sideways walking is.. really just turning the player sprite at this point. I am sure it can be improved and the sideways tiles are something I have not entirely figured out on how to execute without it looking funky as hell but I will continue hashing out concepts and seeing if I cannot get some visual style concept to build from (if these gents are down to continue helping )

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
That looks incredible. Is the walking sideways/upside-down a public script or did he do it just for you?
The script was made for me so I could release it with Project Platinum so it will be a public add-on when I release a portion of the pack.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre
Grand Duke

The Oregon Region map made in MS Paint
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon Region map.png‎  
Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre "Regardless the circumstances, I intend to question the defendant with all I have. *takes off glasses* For that is a part of my creed. -Miles Edgeworth in episode 5 of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destines Check out my story Pokemon Dual Dimensions
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre View Post
The Oregon Region map made in MS Paint
Well, I'm not an expert on the design of region maps, but I'll give it a shot.
Firstly you have posted this several times, all of which are the same, while you may be seriously looking for help, its weird that have have not tried to work on it and improve it over time.

With that said, it is very poorly done. For one, the layout of the map is very segregated, there are clear cuts in the forest to make a like to separate it from what appears to be fields which then goes into a wall of mountains and then a sea of desert. There is too much of everything and not enough flow.

Secondly, the layout of the path for the routes is terrible. It is not interesting and very linear. It's literally straight lines making a rectangle, with a few changes where it goes diagonal. It looks fake - I mean to say it looks clearly that it was made by a fan, rather than emulating the design of the official games.

It could use a lot of work but you seem to have a basic handle on how to create it, now you just need to make it more interesting. I as a player would not enjoy having that as my journey to travel through.

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old March 21st, 2014, 06:18 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

FYI: Town Maps go in this thread.
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Grand Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
Well, I'm not an expert on the design of region maps, but I'll give it a shot.
Firstly you have posted this several times, all of which are the same, while you may be seriously looking for help, its weird that have have not tried to work on it and improve it over time.

With that said, it is very poorly done. For one, the layout of the map is very segregated, there are clear cuts in the forest to make a like to separate it from what appears to be fields which then goes into a wall of mountains and then a sea of desert. There is too much of everything and not enough flow.

Secondly, the layout of the path for the routes is terrible. It is not interesting and very linear. It's literally straight lines making a rectangle, with a few changes where it goes diagonal. It looks fake - I mean to say it looks clearly that it was made by a fan, rather than emulating the design of the official games.

It could use a lot of work but you seem to have a basic handle on how to create it, now you just need to make it more interesting. I as a player would not enjoy having that as my journey to travel through.
It's based on the state of Oregon where I live, so that's part of the reason why it may suck, also since I can't make the actual game (due to the economy) all I have is to make this map, I'll probably try to make it better by getting the materials, and starting from scratch. I know it's not the best, but again it's all I have so I'm going to do what I can to make it better, but don't expect awesome town maps.
Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre "Regardless the circumstances, I intend to question the defendant with all I have. *takes off glasses* For that is a part of my creed. -Miles Edgeworth in episode 5 of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destines Check out my story Pokemon Dual Dimensions
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

I've been making several new moves for Pokemon Evoas, but this is my favorite so far:

Suplex! A basic fighting type move. Also Jigglypuff is now Normal-Fighting, as shown by the bandanna.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3shark View Post
I've been making several new moves for Pokemon Evoas, but this is my favorite so far:

Suplex! A basic fighting type move. Also Jigglypuff is now Normal-Fighting, as shown by the bandanna.
Possibly the most incredible thing I've ever seen in my life.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:54 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Quote:
Possibly the most incredible thing I've ever seen in my life.
This.

Holy **** that is rad.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:

I said it the other night and I'll say it again, this is beautiful! It's amazing how much work you would put into just a single move.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Thanks, this move took a while to get right! Suplex and Jigglypuff's new look were inspired by the smash bros. series.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:32 PM
Gexeys

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post

Making a small intro.
All I can think of is Pokemon Auburn.. you should change it more, it looks too similar, the text, map layout, the whole introduction is just a rip off.
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gexeys View Post
All I can think of is Pokemon Auburn.. you should change it more, it looks too similar, the text, map layout, the whole introduction is just a rip off.
It's not exactly "Auburn Exclusive" lots of games have used this as an intro.
And the map, I don't see how i've taken a map?

That's an island with a cave on.

iirc, There's no island with a cave in their intro sequence.

As for the font, it's the basic Pokémon font.
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

After a long time, I finally decided (finalized my decision, not changing again) which HMs I am going to include in Melanite. The last one, and the one that is not by default included in Pokemon Essentials is Rock Climb!

I added in the functioning for it and added some fancy rock climbing animations and am pretty happy with how it turned out! Rock Climb won't be usable until you defeat the 7th gym.

Old March 27th, 2014, 06:24 PM
joeyhugg

I have been trying to implement Rock Climb for a while. How did you do this?!
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
I have been trying to implement Rock Climb for a while. How did you do this?!
Pretty much copy and pasted waterfall, added a tile for the rocky wall, and changed everything that checked for waterfall to rockclimb, check for water tiles to my new rocky tile, and then made a few small edits. It was slightly harder making it work with the following pokemon script but I got it to work pretty good. Adding the animation was weird though XD everything was shifted around weird so I had to make some adjustments.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:30 AM
tImE

That looks really awesome Rayd!
Best of luck with your game!
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax

Thanks to FL's help on helping us figure out how to bind fly to an item, and for my friend Mugendai for finishing the Mini Teleporter script for Touhoumon: Faith & Prayer Version based on FL's documentation, I was able to add the Mini Teleporter to my game. However, I decided to take it a step further.
A friend of mine commissioned a Touhoumon fangame out of me a while back, and the main character can fly around naturally. Unfortunately, without the fly code's knowledge cracked, I couldn't emulate this. Now that we have the knowledge, I managed to bind the code I have for the Mini Teleporter to the Pause Menu, so now the player can fly to locations they've visited without a fancy item or a Pokemon/Puppet who can use Fly.
Right now the code has some kinks that need to be worked out, like the pause menu doesn't disappear if you select Flight and then close out of it, and I have yet to test if this will actually work as Touhoumon Underground has no maps with flight points yet.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
  • Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit for RMXP - Version 1 finished and released.
    The following version is outdated a great deal. Do not bother downloading it. I will have a new, revised version up eventually. If you really want the engine, I can provide you with the current engine Faith & Prayer version uses.
  • Touhoumon: Faith and Prayer Version - Demo 3.1 Released
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:23 AM
PuzzledPsyduck

I'm just messing around a bit with color and lighting with Generation 2 tiles in my continuing mostly-just-messing-around project. The particles floating around are meant to make it look dusty, so I'm going to have to work on them a bit.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:19 AM
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledPsyduck View Post

I'm just messing around a bit with color and lighting with Generation 2 tiles in my continuing mostly-just-messing-around project. The particles floating around are meant to make it look dusty, so I'm going to have to work on them a bit.
To get a nice dust effect, if possible, try to have them only visible in the light.
You can't really see dust in the dark, however it is common to see dust in rays of light, coming from lamps or windows.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:38 AM
Kyain
The Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Kyain
Quote:

Amazing!!

I'll definitely have to watch Evoas now (I've looked at the thread before ;) )

can jigglypuff suplex trains

Silver-tier supporter Kyain's Signature
There's nothing here...lol
My stuff:

Space for rent

lalalalala i can't hear you. FACT.
[context: facebook]
Quote:
over a milliard of users had no access
[1:41:11 PM] Khilia-chan~: they all were forced to have a life

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Grand Duke

Quote:
It's based on the state of Oregon where I live, so that's part of the reason why it may suck, also since I can't make the actual game (due to the economy) all I have is to make this map, I'll probably try to make it better by getting the materials, and starting from scratch. I know it's not the best, but again it's all I have so I'm going to do what I can to make it better, but don't expect awesome town maps.
If any one wants to try to make a better Oregon Region map using the map base I'm posting, please PM me with the map when you're done making it.
Attached Thumbnails
Remake of Oregon Region map.png‎  
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM
WackyTurtle
Developer

Quote:
If any one wants to try to make a better Oregon Region map using the map base I'm posting, please PM me with the map when you're done making it.
You shouldn't be relying on someone else making your map, I think most people around here have better things to do. However, if you listen to advice, make some adjustments or improvements of your own and post the results here I'm sure you'll get plenty of useful feedback.

Quote:
Why does the town map have to be based on Oregon? It's not exactly the most interestingly shaped landmass. Maybe you could experiment a bit and try making up your own world? Remember that most maps serve as the basis for fun and interesting gameplay, meaning the route the player takes shouldn't be linear and should cover a diverse selection of terrain.

Developer of Pokémon: Legends of the Arena.

Old April 6th, 2014, 08:27 PM
jim42

Seeing the discussion about region maps inspired me to have a go. I've done a number of HGSS-styled region maps before, but never a BW-styled one. A couple of hours of experimenting and tweaking later, I have a BW-styled custom region. I present to you: Serri.

All of the locations are aligned to the grid prescribed by Essentials, for easy in-game use if and when I decide to do so. Those two bridges in the middle still don't look like bridges, though. I blame verticality.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links