• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#8: A Trio of Types

Which is your favorite added type?

• Total voters
Years
Another week, and another edition of the Poké-Poll of the Week here in Pokémon Voting Polls is upon us! I shouldn't have to remind you, but I will anyway- remember that all PC and PVP rules must be followed while posting, especially:
Expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.
This week, our poll question was submitted by Charlie Brown (the user, not the block head). For the suggestion, he'll be receiving a special emblem. If you'd like to get one of your own, feel free to leave future POTW suggestions with your post, or in a VM to myself. As for this week's question, we've had 3 brand-new types added to Pokémon since the original 15, so we ask you:

What is your favorite added type: Dark, Steel or Fairy?

Sure, the first 2 have been around for quite a while now, but they weren't always. Now, let's get to voting!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I quite like Fairy. Perhaps because it's newer than the others, but I like the assortment of Pokemon that came with it, and the changes to existing Pokemon. Play Rough is also a pretty awesome move.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I think I like steel better, since that's what many of my favorite Pokémon are categorized as. Few would include Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Steelix, Metagross, and Aggron. Steel might not have an immunity, but that's no biggie; aside from ghost, flying, and normal, not many types have them, either. Second favorite would probably have to be fairy. :]

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Dark. Hydreigon's my favourite, and is also one of my favourite Pokemon in general. I like the moves of the dark type, from Night Slash, to Dark Pulse (I swear that move contains ghostly wails). I also like Pokemon like Honchkrow, Weavile and Bisharp, and I'm quite a dark hearted person myself :p

Years
I voted Fairy, mainly because I love the majority of Pokemon designs there but in reality, all three have their fair share of cool Pokemon that otherwise wouldn't have existed had the types themselves not.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I always liked the Steel type, because it was introduced as a defensive type and it seemed to have a lot of potential. However, Steel-type moves were extremely scarce at that time, and not always available/useful. After they introduced Iron Head and Flash Cannon in Gen IV, it became much more viable and could be used as a STAB measure. This has also increased its value with the introduction of Fairy type, with the loss of resistance against Dark and Ghost be considered a minor drawback.

Steel type, considering its relativity in the Pokémon world could be considered to be the least 'natural' of types as steel is gotten by making an alloy with the main component as iron. I believe the type could have worked out better being named the 'Metal' type, as metals are found within natural ores. However, its acceptance grew alongside the Dark type as the generations flew past, so I don't think a change would be required now.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
My favourite "added" type is the Dark type, because they had a badly needed advantage over the Psychic type. There are also plenty of great Dark-type Pokemon like Tyranitar, Houndoom, Greninja, Weavile, and Drapion, and some great moves like Bite, Crunch, Pursuit, Knock Off, and Dark Pulse.

Years
Steel type for me. Some of my favourite Pokemon are Steel types - Scizor and Ferrothorn. They do have a 4x weakness to Fire, but I got around that by using Drizzle.

Steel might not have an immunity,...

It does - Steel type Pokemon are immune to Poison type moves.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I voted Dark because I loved the idea when it was first released. I like a lot of the Pokémon and it has some really great moves. Fun gameplay with Knock Off or Thief. Foul Play keeps things interesting and is great for beating boosters or great for Defensive Pokémon to use.

The only downside I see to it, it hurts Psychic badly. Psychic as a Type has never recovered from this. Psychic was so great in Gen 1 but hasn't been great since. Yes there are good Psychic Pokémon but they are good DESPITE being Psychic.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
As much as I want to say Fairy just because its type colour is pink, I think Dark was the one I found the coolest when it was added. I think it has more interesting Pokémon. (I say this, but I have favourite Pokémon in both Steel and Fairy types but not very many at all in the Dark type. Oh well!)

I guess way back when, I thought that Dark introduced a lot of interesting new Pokémon instead of retconning old Pokémon types or adding new evolutions of old Pokémon with altered types. With Fairy type... I dunno. I don't mind it at all but it felt really overpowered in XY. Unbalanced, even, but maybe I was just lucky with it or something. I have no problem with the fact that it exists and I like it, but it didn't feel like as natural an addition to me. Maybe I'm just too old and set in my ways.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
The Steel-type, as it's the best of all three types (in fact, it's probably the best type competitively) due to its huge number of resistances, immunity to Toxic and Toxic Spikes.

The Dark-type is the second best because a lot of unique moves such as Payback, Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Pursuit, known for their utility, are part Dark.

The Fairy-type is easily the worst. Despite its immunity to Dragon, a lot of Dragon-type Pokemon can get past Fairy-types with moves like Iron Tail, Poison Jab or Flash Cannon, or hit them very hard with a neutral move (Fusion Bolt, Earthquake or Fire Blast). I find its resistance to Fighting more useful because a lot of Fighting-types which can be disposed of by Azumarill or Togekiss were present in OU in Gen 5.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
not much of a debate for me, steel type wins with flying colors.

I have always been fond of steel types, there limited weaknesses and over powered defence makes them very useful competitively. Not much more to say :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Steel has been my second favorite type for a while now so it wins hands down. Most of their designs are perfect imo and I really love having a bulky defense on my team. Also I love the immunity to poison because that's a pain in the ass to deal with. There's also the benefit of not getting hit by Sandstorm which I enjoy, but I could live without it. A lot of my top favorite Pokemon are part steel types like Mawile, Steelix, Forretress, etc.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Hands down, dark is my favorite "new" type.
Dark Pokemon usually look pretty menacing and i love most of the designs, and i think it was a very needed type to nerf psychic

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Hm. I think I'll have to say Dark. Even though Steel made a good difference from Rock type pokémon, and Fairy brought about something we didn't know we had wanted for a long time, Dark just had more interesting pokémon added imo. The concept of the type Dark and its moves are difficult to understand at times, since it's borderline fighting and borderline ghost sort of. Shady and punchy/crunchy. But mostly it's "evil". Which is pretty cool that they thought of implementing. Evil and darkness isn't perhaps the first thing you think of choosing as the elemental power for your team of champions :3

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Why all the hate on Fairy types? Finally, we have something to counter the dragons, (you can't say Ice-type did the job, most if not all dragons learn fire type moves), and on top of that they are totally adorable! Look at Dedenne and Azurill. Their appearence change from Gardevoir to Granbull to Xerneas, the possibilities are endless.
Have i mentioned they are totally cute? ^_^

Years
Hm, there's something about the Dark and Steel types that deter me from liking them \: There are some Dark type Pokemon that I would not mind using, but amongst the 3, I think I'd prefer Fairy over the other 2. Probably mainly because majority of the time I decide whether I like the Pokemon or not is based on their physical appearance/design, so I find the designs of those with a Fairy type to be visually appealing, especially Xerneas.

Infernape

fire power!
Years
Out of these three, I'd have to say Dark. Umbreon used to be my go to eeveelution until Glaceon came around. I still rely on Weavile and Honchkrow on my more competitive team set ups. Their designs are excellent, and they're very good pokemon to raise. Dark was a good decision placement in the games because it introduced us to many great Pokémon

Years
Between the three new types, the Dark type would have to be my favorite of the three. It introduced some really neat Pokémon both design-wise and usability-wise (Houndoom, Umbreon, Absol, Hydreigon, Scrafty, etc). Not to mention how enigmatic their personalities are (if that's even the right word i'm looking for).

Second would have to be the Fairy-type, since that buffed up some older Pokémon to make them cooler. The new Fairy-types introduced are alright, and had some neat moves like Moonblast and Play Rough to go with them.

Back