Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase
Reload this Page FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback: A Definitive Kanto Experience

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 29th, 2014 (03:48 PM).
Simpleton

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by RPD490:
Was gonna say, if you have an issue with Espeon/Umbreon evolving, why not implement the Day Night System hack to your hack?
As per the OP, the only issue with the Espeon/Umbreon evolutions is if you're playing the hack on real hardware (as in a GBA or a DS via the GBA slot). I do have DNS in my hack, but only the bare essentials to allow for time-based evolutions. So long as the game is played in an emulator with real-time support, those Eeveelutions should be fine. If an R/S/E-esque solution for time appears in the future, I'll likely switch to that.

Unless you said that in a sense of "Hey, I was gonna suggest this to you, but then I saw that that's what you actually did." Then OK.

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Want to see what he has in mind? Click him for a throwback worth experiencing!
Old March 30th, 2014 (03:07 AM). Edited March 30th, 2014 by PokeReject.
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
Sorry to ask this, but I can't seem to get a few things through my head. Is this hack only present in Kanto, and the number of Pokemon found in this hack are the first 250 Pokemon? This really caught my eye, and I'm very interested in it.

EDIT: After downloading and re-reading (re-read over 3 times), I found my answers through the documents you provided. Now I have one more question: is there a physical/special split implemented in this game? I've played so many other hacks that have that included, so I was wondering if this one was different.

DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA. (more banners soon to come... maybe) (hoping that Lilac comes back) DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA.
You joined for ROM Hacking, didn't you, PokeReject?
Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon. Why yes, yes I did. Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon.

Old March 30th, 2014 (10:50 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by RichterSnipes:
As per the OP, the only issue with the Espeon/Umbreon evolutions is if you're playing the hack on real hardware (as in a GBA or a DS via the GBA slot). I do have DNS in my hack, but only the bare essentials to allow for time-based evolutions. So long as the game is played in an emulator with real-time support, those Eeveelutions should be fine. If an R/S/E-esque solution for time appears in the future, I'll likely switch to that.

Unless you said that in a sense of "Hey, I was gonna suggest this to you, but then I saw that that's what you actually did." Then OK.
Really you do have DNS? Huh, cuz I didn't see any changes between day and night. Cuz I use the Day Night Tool, which does work well btw on your hack, and its funny cuz I went to see if Eevee would evolve into Espeon during the day, but it ended up turning into an Umbreon instead....during the day. Even tried seeing if it would do it in the morning and still Umbreon.

I did back up the ROM before I implemented cuz I used Mastermind_X's Day Night Tool.

Going back to the ROM before I implemented, I tested to see if your DNS works and it does for Eevee but it still evolves into Umbreon. :\ Mind you its 2:53PM where I am when I tested it. XD Went to check YAPE 0.9 for Eevee's evolution line, and it does say it can evolve into Espeon during the day and Umbreon during the night.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 30th, 2014 (10:52 AM).
Simpleton

Quote originally posted by PokeReject:
EDIT: After downloading and re-reading (re-read over 3 times), I found my answers through the documents you provided. Now I have one more question: is there a physical/special split implemented in this game? I've played so many other hacks that have that included, so I was wondering if this one was different.
As of right now, my hack does not have the Physical/Special split. This might change in the future depending on perspective and options available. You can always apply it yourself if you'd like, it's a painless procedure!

Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Old March 30th, 2014 (03:28 PM).
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
As of right now, my hack does not have the Physical/Special split. This might change in the future depending on perspective and options available. You can always apply it yourself if you'd like, it's a painless procedure!
If only I knew how to code >.<
Old March 30th, 2014 (07:09 PM). Edited March 30th, 2014 by RichterSnipes.
Simpleton

Version 3.7.1 Available

Stuff about TMs
You know what? Screw it. Infinite TMs for all! I use the former method that I mentioned. This way people trading in Pokémon holding TMs from other games to Throwback won't have issues. I hope this power isn't abused!

I've also made the Extras patch *mostly* compatible with LeafGreen. Unfortunately, the Gen 5 Repel system could not make the transition. Darthatron mentioned in the thread for his ported system that extra changes beyond pointer changes would be needed to use the system with other ROMs besides FireRed BPRE v1.0. If someone is able to make this available for LeafGreen, that would be amazing!

Also in this update: A move tutor update and fixes. Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Extras:
  • TMs can be used an unlimited number of times.
  • The old woman who teaches the elemental Hyper Beams to Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise can now be used an unlimited number of times. Uses prior to applying the updated patch will not be recovered.
  • Applied extended jingles to TMs obtained post-Gym battles and the player's first 5 Poké Balls.
  • The Cerulean graphics bug has been re-fixed (wasn't an issue in the full patch previously). This bug is present in the base game.
  • Code cleanup.

GB Player:
  • (LeafGreen only) Fixed a potentially harmful ported script.

Quote originally posted by PokeReject:
If only I knew how to code >.<
Lucky for you, you don't need to know how to code for this! All you need to do is apply the patch from here to get the split. I also posted a patch around the end of that thread for editing move affinities. Just apply both patches for the whole thing. This won't work for LeafGreen.

Old March 30th, 2014 (08:48 PM).

Yahoo! Thank you very much for your hard work.
Old March 31st, 2014 (08:39 AM).

Woot, infinite tms : D also two questions:
-Will my v3.5.1 save file before the 5th badge (i think) work with v3.7.1?
-If i'm playing this hack via flashcard on 3ds...can i get espeon/umbreon?
Old March 31st, 2014 (01:16 PM).
Simpleton

Quote originally posted by Gold011:
Woot, infinite tms : D also two questions:
-Will my v3.5.1 save file before the 5th badge (i think) work with v3.7.1?
-If i'm playing this hack via flashcard on 3ds...can i get espeon/umbreon?
1. Yes, your previous save file will work with this version. Chief among my objectives is to ensure as much save compatibility as possible. Unless I make a note of it, patch away!
2. That depends on if the emulator you're using on your flashcard supports Real-Time Clock. If it does, you should be able to get Espeon and Umbreon as intended.

Old April 6th, 2014 (07:33 PM).

I really wanna try your hack but for some reason it won't play on my galaxy 4s.. Ive had no problems playing .zip files through my phones emulator but I think since your files in .ips it won't read it. Any suggestions?
Old April 7th, 2014 (12:10 AM).

Do you still have those reworked GSC sprites?
Old April 7th, 2014 (12:41 PM).

The BW2 Repel System does not work, the prompt appears, but selecting yes does nothing.
Old April 7th, 2014 (03:30 PM).
Simpleton

Quote originally posted by tshaf92:
I really wanna try your hack but for some reason it won't play on my galaxy 4s.. Ive had no problems playing .zip files through my phones emulator but I think since your files in .ips it won't read it. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming those successful .zip files you speak of just contain ROMs. For IPS patches, extract them from the .zip file. Depending on the emulator, they might work by just renaming the ROM you'll use with the patch (or the patch itself) so the two are the same name. Otherwise you can use a tool to patch the ROM.

Quote originally posted by Ghost Down:
Do you still have those reworked GSC sprites?
I still have the sprites that I worked on (Kanto starters and their final evolutions), but I haven't done any extra work beyond that. Why do you ask?

Quote originally posted by delta4873:
The BW2 Repel System does not work, the prompt appears, but selecting yes does nothing.
What emulator and ROM are you using? I have no problems on my end.

Old April 7th, 2014 (07:26 PM). Edited April 7th, 2014 by delta4873.

My Boy! for android and a fire red rom
Old April 7th, 2014 (07:35 PM). Edited April 7th, 2014 by RichterSnipes.
Simpleton

Quote:
My Boy! for android and a Fire Red rom from...
Three things:
  1. You may want to remove the site name from where found the ROM. You know, legal reasons and stuff. I see that's been resolved.
  2. Start the ROM and see if the word "Presents" appears under the Game Freak logo. If it doesn't, that's the right version. If there are certain quirks about it, though, you may need to get a clean ROM.
  3. I haven't used My Boy!, so I can't speak myself about compatibility. It's pretty reputable, though. Make sure you're using the latest version of it.

Old April 7th, 2014 (10:36 PM).

Quote:
I still have the sprites that I worked on (Kanto starters and their final evolutions), but I haven't done any extra work beyond that. Why do you ask?
The reason I ask is because I really don't like the FRLG starters, especially the final starter evolution sprites, they just don't look like their anime counterparts and I was thinking that maybe you could include another optional patch which replaces the starter sprites with your reworked GSC sprites. I would do it myself, but I have no idea how to do it on my Android tablet.
Old April 8th, 2014 (05:45 AM).
Simpleton

Quote originally posted by Ghost Down:
The reason I ask is because I really don't like the FRLG starters, especially the final starter evolution sprites, they just don't look like their anime counterparts and I was thinking that maybe you could include another optional patch which replaces the starter sprites with your reworked GSC sprites. I would do it myself, but I have no idea how to do it on my Android tablet.
I wouldn't do that, simply because none of the starter sprites are objectively wrong. Remember that the games are supposed to be just that: the games. If there's slight differences in aesthetics between them and the anime, well, then that's normal. And I don't see how the Gen 2 sprites look that much closer to the anime. They certainly don't look like that with the way I redid them for GBA usage.

If I were to replace just the starter sprites, then we'd be heading down a slippery slope. Certainly there are other Pokémon that don't look like their anime counterparts. Would it be best to replace those, too? Even if I found every Pokémon that looks quite different between the two mediums, that wouldn't leave me with that pleasing of a final result. Many of the sprites will have been changed, with many others remaining as they were.

With that in mind, I'm not going to publicly release a patch for changing any Pokémon sprites unless it changes all of them similarly. I'm sorry if this is upsetting to you.

Old April 12th, 2014 (06:18 AM).
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Nice to see this land on RHDN. You've done some great work!

I haven't applied the latest patch yet. Is that image on the first post a new title screen?

I really enjoyed playing through this hack. Will likely play it again. With the WFC going away, I hope someone comes up with a way of dumping the critters I catch here into XY
Old April 12th, 2014 (10:34 AM).
Simpleton

Quote originally posted by TRIFORCE89:
Nice to see this land on RHDN. You've done some great work!

I haven't applied the latest patch yet. Is that image on the first post a new title screen?

I really enjoyed playing through this hack. Will likely play it again. With the WFC going away, I hope someone comes up with a way of dumping the critters I catch here into XY
Thanks, I'm just hoping it wasn't too soon to put it up there!

The new title screen is part of the Catch 'em All patch and is featured in the full patch. This is meant to signify that all significant differences between "versions" have been removed and that the two games are now one entity. I'm just fortunate that this was a remake of the original games, because then I'd have to had come up with a good title for the game and made new art for it if it were any of the later games.

Also, Pokémon Bank doesn't use WFC (neither does Poké Transfer), so you'll still be able to transfer your creatures from as far back as 3rd Gen to the 6th Gen games after it shuts down in about a month. You just won't be able to use the Global Trade System and Wi-Fi Club/Plaza in the 4th and 5th Gen games.

Old April 12th, 2014 (11:06 AM).
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Also, Pokémon Bank doesn't use WFC (neither does Poké Transfer), so you'll still be able to transfer your creatures from as far back as 3rd Gen to the 6th Gen games after it shuts down in about a month. You just won't be able to use the Global Trade System and Wi-Fi Club/Plaza in the 4th and 5th Gen games.
Oh, I already have. lol Took a good bit of time.

I meant, in the future should I replay your hack again
Old April 12th, 2014 (08:10 PM).

I tried to trade some Pokemon from this game, in order to evolve them, and I noticed that the trading system for this game is malfunctioning. It does the trade animation, but just stops at the end without going back to the trade menu. The music keeps playing, but the game won't respond.

At first, I thought it was an emulation problem, but when I tried trading between two different GBA Pokemon Roms, I noticed something off. Rom A (Not this game) was showing the normal "Communication standby" message, but Rom B (This game) just showed "Take good care of pokemon". Also, when the connection was lost, only Rom A reacted. Rom B just kept playing the music and showing the same image.
Old April 12th, 2014 (08:51 PM).
Simpleton

Quote originally posted by sdw7sm:
I tried to trade some Pokemon from this game, in order to evolve them, and I noticed that the trading system for this game is malfunctioning. It does the trade animation, but just stops at the end without going back to the trade menu. The music keeps playing, but the game won't respond.

At first, I thought it was an emulation problem, but when I tried trading between two different GBA Pokemon Roms, I noticed something off. Rom A (Not this game) was showing the normal "Communication standby" message, but Rom B (This game) just showed "Take good care of pokemon". Also, when the connection was lost, only Rom A reacted. Rom B just kept playing the music and showing the same image.
I've confirmed your problem. I tracked it down to an issue with the Catch 'em All patch...which is terribly ironic. I'll try my best to figure out what it is and will upload a bug fix as soon as I figure out what the problem is.

Old April 12th, 2014 (09:30 PM). Edited April 12th, 2014 by RichterSnipes.
Simpleton

Okay, new post for some news on the matter. It's good, but also unfortunate for a lot of hackers if true.

I've tracked down the trading issue in the Catch 'em All patch. As it turns out, it was the Real Time Clock that broke trading in the game. What does this mean? Well, unless I did something really wrong when using the tool, DNS breaks trading. I'm not sure what I'll do about the matter right now. It's crucial for players to obtain Espeon and Umbreon as they are normally gotten, but, at the same time, losing the ability to trade with others is a pretty big problem. I hope someone can investigate the issue further.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not certain that it is DNS. It may actually be the fault of VBA Link. When I inserted the RTC to a different offset, it made it so I was unable to save the game or load any saves for it. As far as I know, RTC may not actually break trading. It'd just be that VBA Link does a terrible job at interpreting that specific code.

Seeing as that branch of VBA is no longer in development, and that VBA-M will likely never add trading support, I have no means as of right now to test if DNS actually is the problem. If someone who has a flash cart is able to test this, that would be wonderful.

Old April 13th, 2014 (05:25 PM).

I figured out a temporary solution for using VBALink to trade evolve. I used an un-patched Fire Red ROM with the save file from Throwback to trade evolve my Pokemon, then opened the save file with the Throwback-patched ROM. I had to rename my Pokemon at the Name Rater, but other than that, it worked fine.
Old April 24th, 2014 (12:10 PM).

Patching via MultiPatch on MAC doesnt work for this.

Continuously states "Failed to apply IPS patch."
A ton of other people are having the same issue. Don't know if you can do anything about it.

Was looking forward to playing this... oh well. Onto the next one.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links