• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ready to Brawl! Super Smash Brothers Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Welcome, welcome! I'll be adding you shortly.

There was so much rage over Marth when he was ¨announced¨ this time around, it was crazy. A person on twitter said it was a turn off because FE for the 3DS got released this year, so why couldn't they put newer characters in. The internet is a downer for party games, I swear
What? Only people who were sad about Marth were Lucina fans. And you should never listen to Lucina fans.
That's because these people believe relevancy and recency is the only thing that's important when adding characters into a crossover fighting game. Of course, this mindset was also why PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was practically an inferior Smash Bros. due to the inclusion of new Dante over old Dante and Raiden over Snake. I'm glad Marth and Ike's return destroyed this whole relevancy nonsense, because it shows that Smash Bros.' only factors are importance and iconic influence.
Putting out Sheik out of the picture. (Since she's an established Smash character anyway) I think the relevancy argument DOES hold water.

People on the other will look for any example to dismiss this. They look at Ice Climbers and use them as an example. Or G&W. Or Captain Falcon. However, there's a very significant thing they're forgetting.

If it's an established and popular series today, then relevancy is an important factor. This is why I think K.Rool has no chance. The DK series today has no need for him, he's completely forgotten. If you want to rep a DK character, you'd want someone who make san appearance today, since the series is huge. It'd be a disservice to the series to practically use a dead character as a rep, instead of say, Dixie who is a major character in the last game, or even Cranky. There is a difference between Ice Climbers, main characters in a forgotten series, and K.Rool, forgotten character in a still universally popular series.

Like, ask yourself this. Who would your rather have? A main character from a forgotten series that could warrant a playable to represent Nintendo's overall history? Or a forgotten character in a series that is still going very strong today, and doesn't need said character at all? I think it's obvious which is more significant.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Putting out Sheik out of the picture. (Since she's an established Smash character anyway) I think the relevancy argument DOES hold water.

People on the other will look for any example to dismiss this. They look at Ice Climbers and use them as an example. Or G&W. Or Captain Falcon. However, there's a very significant thing they're forgetting.

If it's an established and popular series today, then relevancy is an important factor. This is why I think K.Rool has no chance. The DK series today has no need for him, he's completely forgotten. If you want to rep a DK character, you'd want someone who make san appearance today, since the series is huge. It'd be a disservice to the series to practically use a dead character as a rep, instead of say, Dixie who is a major character in the last game, or even Cranky. There is a difference between Ice Climbers, main characters in a forgotten series, and K.Rool, forgotten character in a still universally popular series.

Like, ask yourself this. Who would your rather have? A main character from a forgotten series that could warrant a playable to represent Nintendo's overall history? Or a forgotten character in a series that is still going very strong today, and doesn't need said character at all? I think it's obvious which is more significant.
From that logic, Ganondorf doesn't need to come back to Smash Bros. anymore, because, not counting the remakes, he hasn't made a recent appearance since Twilight Princess, only his alter ego, Ganon. Though to be fair, Ganon has made more appearances than his human form, making him much more iconic, not to mention being unique rather than a clone. But the question remains, will he use his classic look or his possessed Yuga form from ALBW (his TP look is too difficult to be made playable due to being quad pedal).

In terms of the latter from your question. If the forgotten character from a universally popular series has made more than one appearance, then yes, I would choose that character. Otherwise, I would pick a main character from a forgotten series, like Takamaru.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Today Nintendo released a video about the Smashers and Commentators for the Smash Bros. Invitational which will be held at E3 this year:

Also, Nintendo revealed the Gamecube controller adapter for Wii U. It looks really nice!

Bo0nZHBIUAABqcb.jpg

Also, if we followed that reasoning then why would Little Mac be in the game? He hasn't made a major appearance since Fight Night Round 2 on the Nintendo Gamecube.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Cross-posting from the VG thread:
Saw that yesterday. Hyped as HELL.

Pros:
-Solid roster of players
-But still, having aMSa, Hungrybox, DJNintendo, PPMD and Ken is ♥♥♥♥ing AMAZING
-Prog and D1 are the best commentators. Ever. Best news. Scar is great too!
-A character can't be used by two different player. Players have to pick their character and stick with it. This is a good draft because it adds variety.
-GAMECUBE CONTROLLER

Cons:
-Free for all with items on the first 3 rounds. Ughhh
-Limited selection of characters. Ughhhh
-Having 3 Peach mains (MacD, Peachyhime and Lilo) but no Peach. What?
-Having a player who is practically known for his Yoshi in aMSa but no Yoshi. What?
-Tiebreaker handled by fan favorite vote or something.

WHAT:
-Geoff Keighley. WHAT
From that logic, Ganondorf doesn't need to come back to Smash Bros. anymore, because, not counting the remakes, he hasn't made a recent appearance since Twilight Princess, only his alter ego, Ganon. Though to be fair, Ganon has made more appearances than his human form, making him much more iconic, not to mention being unique rather than a clone. But the question remains, will he use his classic look or his possessed Yuga form from ALBW (his TP look is too difficult to be made playable due to being quad pedal).

In terms of the latter from your question. If the forgotten character from a universally popular series has made more than one appearance, then yes, I would choose that character. Otherwise, I would pick a main character from a forgotten series, like Takamaru.
Ganondorf = Ganon. The only main games (as in developed by the Zelda team and directed by Aonuma, Skyward Sword aside) he didn't appear in are Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask. Ganon is synonymous with the Triforce. If the Triforce is involved, HE'S involved. He's just as important as the series' own triforce motif.

He is not comparable to K.Rool, who has no reason to come back like Ganon (the holder of the Power triforce.) Anyway, never, ever use characters in the existing roster to make your argument about relevancy. None of them are in the same situation as K.Rool, except for Sheik, who is a popular Smash character added when she was relevant already and thus no reason to cut. However, there is no reason to add K.Rool. Period.
Also, if we followed that reasoning then why would Little Mac be in the game? He hasn't made a major appearance since Fight Night Round 2 on the Nintendo Gamecube.

Nevermind the fact you forgot this existed:
Punch-Out%21%21.jpg

In what way is Lil Mac a forgotten character in a popular series? Did you read what I said? He's the main character in a niche series that IS important to Nintendo's history. Donkey Kong is important to Nintendo's history, but K.Rool unlike Diddy Kong is pretty much obscure as hell next to DK. Why do you want a character who is a nobody next to a huge universal mascot like DK? Wouldn't it be weird?

Think of it from a marketing standpoint. K.Rool won't draw anyone but the minority. He is not important enough, and unlike other forgotten character, he doesn't have his own games that are important to Nintendo's history. If he was in DKCR or Tropical Freeze, sure, but clearly Nintendo doesn't think K.Rool is needed at all.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Unless you paly the game, Lil Mac really isn't that popular. Ice Climbers, which will probably be in Smash 4, haven't had a big game out in year. Neither has Ness or Lucas from the Earthbound series. Regardless, these are still fan favorites. Personally, I wouldn't like to see King K. Rool in Smash 4, but I would love to see a character like Raiden entering the game. Nostalgia is a big factor in marketing the game, but the game itself and its predecessors deliver enough nostalgia that this game will sell well.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
You're missing the point.

Didn't I say relevancy only matters to a really popular series? It doesn't apply to Ice Climbers because it's not, but it is historically important to Nintendo, which is why it warranted a character. K.Rool is only historically important to the DK series(historically being the key word here, since he's not important anymore), he actually has nothing to do with Nintendo. (He never appeared in a first party game.) Delivering the DKC nostalgia is done via Diddy, so K.Rool isn't necessary.

And for the love of god stop using existing characters as examples.

Also Punch Out is popular...what are you even talking about?

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't think Punch Out is that popular anymore, but maybe I'm wrong. And that's a matter of opinion. I don't think, but many could think King K. Rool is an integral part o Nintendo's history. That's simply a matter of opinion.

Lmao I don't even know why we're debating this. Neither of us want him in the game, I personally don't like the way he looks. xp

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Lol well that settles that. Moving on, who else would you like to see: returning and new characters?

I really want to see Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario, Snake, King DDD, Wold, ROB, Ganon and Mewtwo to make a return. I'd like to see someone like Raiden (a fast swordsman) to be added. Ghirahim from Zelda and Birdo should be added.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I really want to see Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario, Snake, King DDD, Wold, ROB, Ganon and Mewtwo to make a return. I'd like to see someone like Raiden (a fast swordsman) to be added. Ghirahim from Zelda and Birdo should be added.

Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are sort of in a heated battle for the spot as our 5th Pokémon rep, since Mario and Zelda have 5 reps already (so sorry, no Ghirahim nor Birdo this installment). Also, Ghirahim is a one-time Zelda character like Midna and Skull Kid, both of whom are assist trophies, so he's never going to be playable to begin with. As for Raiden, there's been a rumor/leak going on that Pac-Man will be our third third-party character rather than Metal Gear rep, and since Sakurai has made a rule back in 2006 when Brawl was in development that up to 3 third-party characters allowed in the roster. Let's not forget that last year, Sakurai has also stated that a third-party character must be iconic to warrant spot. Raiden isn't as iconic as Snake, due to his rough start in MGS2.

I don't think Punch Out is that popular anymore, but maybe I'm wrong. And that's a matter of opinion.
It's still a cult classic franchise; if it wasn't for Mike Tyson's involvement in the NES installment, the game wouldn't be as popular as it is now.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Mewtwo really sucked at Melee so if he does show up I hope he gets more useful buffs and moves and such.

I just realized I'm not even a member yet. I'll make an app later when I feel like.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Lol well that settles that. Moving on, who else would you like to see: returning and new characters?

Yeah, DeDeDe would be very cool.
screen-4.jpg

Hmm... :P

Crystal Glaceon

Devious
Years
Wasn't Raiden in Playstation's version of Brawl? (granted because of revengance hype)
I never gave mewtwo a shot when he first came around...I should have when I had the chance, I guess

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I always make sure to try out every character I've access to at least once, haha. This way, I wouldn't be regretting anything when trading the game in.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Is anyone going to Best Buy for Smash Fest? For those that don't know, Smash Fest is an event where players will be able to play Smash Bros. Wii U. I'm so excited, the local Best Buy is holding it next Wednesday and Saturday.

To see if your local Best Buy is holding the event you can check here

This new screen of this new FE stage revealed yesterday is beautiful. Check it out:
Lugiy7g97gt9zlCfzSA-KAsTvKq6dq.jpg

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm not surprised that my town won't have one. The selected cities seems too widespread. If I were to actually go to one I have to drive three hours to the nearest one.

Meh, I can just wait till Gamestop gets one. haha.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Wow, that is amazing. <3 It doesn't seem very Nintendo-like, though; it looks more like something that you'd see on a game such as PlayStation All-Stars.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I'm not surprised that my town won't have one. The selected cities seems too widespread. If I were to actually go to one I have to drive three hours to the nearest one.

Meh, I can just wait till Gamestop gets one. haha.

I know, it was so unfair in Kentucky. Only northern Kentucky gets one, my town has one and a town only about 90 minutes away has one. I feel sorry for the people in the south and western parts.

I'm so excited, we will see so much Smash Bros. news tomorrow! Hopefully a release date (fingers crossed). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back