• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genre

Yukari

I'm sure that we all know what a genre is. And I'm sure that we all have favorites. So in short what is your favorite genera of video games?

For me that would be Role-Playing Games. Those are my favorites because of the excellent stories, leveling systems, and, in many western rpgs, the open worlds. While most JRPGs lack an open work they make up with their Turn-Based combat and tightly orchestrated stories.

Discuss!

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
RPG or Puzzles for sure. I love the storyline and battle systems of RPG games especially JRPGs but then I also like playing games like Tetris a lot. Like a lot a lot.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
It's really hard just to pick a top 3 right now, lol. Survival/Psychological Horror games are my top favorites, for sure. After that.. up until recently I'd probably go on to list FPS and RPG. But Boyfriend has decided I don't like enough different genres so he got me into strategy games (turn-based, RTS, and tower defense), and now I'm inclined to say that any of those are getting pretty high up on my list, too!

Years
RPGs! Mainly for stories, battle systems, characters, and the overall environment that they're set in. Majority of the RPGs I play are set in fantasy worlds, and they've all made me envious ;; Might just be a result of the development in the graphics department year-after-year, but nonetheless, they're great games to play c: Wouldn't give them up for anything.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I like action/adventure and RPG more than anything. The enriching gameplay environment of a roleplaying game can't be beaten, though I won't shy away from the occasional horror game. They keep me on my toes and my heart beating fast and it's just a really awesome experience, being totally afraid of what's coming up next even though I want to anticipate whatever it is but inevitably can't.

TY

I am a RTS guy in heart, mind and soul... I have been since I was 2 and that will never change. I do like racing games, FPS'es and RPG's from time to time, but RTS stays that one genre that never seems to bore me

Years
I'm mostly into RPGs, but I can dig a platformer every now and then, specifically a fantasy-themed one. Adventures are something I think I'd like if I got myself into one, like a Zelda game or Skyrim, but honestly I've never picked one up and tried it. Pokemon takes up most of my gaming time, so I'm looking to bring in some variety, haha. n__n;

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
My favorite genre of games is either Racing games, like Gran Turismo, Crash Team Racing for example, or Puzzle games, like Puzzle Bobble, Adventures of Lolo, etc.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
While I really liked RPGs a lot in the past, the newer ones don't really appeal to me anymore. Since a couple of month I tend to play more Platformers, but probably my favourite is a combination of both genres (kinda like the Castlevania games for the NDS).

Years
Platforming is my favorite genre, i grew up with mostly Megaman and Sonic games. I hate water levels with passion, same for when you have no idea where to go, for example mazes.

RTS is my second genre, i played a bit of Warcraft Orcs and Humans, C&C Tiberium Dawn and Dune when i was a kid, but my lack of strategy (or rather, buy the strongest units and just send them at enemy bases) usually prevented me from advancing at some point or another. I mostly only started up picking RTS up again with multiplayer games.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
RPG's all the way. Adventure and RTS come next in a closed tie. I like one more than the other one time and the other later on.

I like games from most genre though. But RPG's are the absolute best.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm personally a pretty big fan of first-person shooter games; gotten into them when I was about fifteen or so, and haven't stopped following ever since. To me, they're very entertaining. My favorite series of them all would have to be Call of Duty, without a doubt; I've tried plenty of others before, ranging from Battlefield all the way to Halo, but in my opinion, nothing could ever live up to this one. They might release some games that leaves bad taste in the mouth every once in a while, but that's not such a bad thing; things like this are bound to happen. Aside from that, I also like RPG.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Action and/or RPG are 2 genres that I prefer. RPG because I like customisation and choices, then actually trying out different playstyles in combat that suit me. Meanwhile, action games give no frills - play it as it is, and less preparation to play, aka, no levelling up.

I do appreciate good storyline/plot/characters, but unusually though, I tend to find Action games better at this than RPGs themselves.

Yukari

Action and/or RPG are 2 genres that I prefer. RPG because I like customisation and choices, then actually trying out different playstyles in combat that suit me. Meanwhile, action games give no frills - play it as it is, and less preparation to play, aka, no levelling up.

I do appreciate good storyline/plot/characters, but unusually though, I tend to find Action games better at this than RPGs themselves.

Um, what Rpgs have you been playing? If you want a nice story you want to play a western RPG or a Japanese RPG. Action RPGs sometimes don't have very good stories and instead focus on gameplay.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Um, what Rpgs have you been playing? If you want a nice story you want to play a western RPG or a Japanese RPG. Action RPGs sometimes don't have very good stories and instead focus on gameplay.

I guess I was not clear. I mean, yes, Action RPGs don't have good stories, I can agree with you on that. What I mean to say is that, compared to RPGs, I usually find that Action games (not ARPG) have better storylines.

Although, that isn't really such a big deal to me because I usually look at gameplay first before storylines, but otherwise, I enjoy games from the genres of RPG (including ARPG) and Action.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Shooters. I can't really be specific with it being FPS or something else, but I like all kinds of shooters. From the aforementioned FPS, all the way to shoot em' up danmaku shooters, I've grown quite the liking to them all.

Back