The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:17 AM
22GreenAlfs

Nature: Modest
I remember back in like 6th grade, I was still playing Pokemon Sapphire 24/7 while my friends were busy playing Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen. I had FireRed but I got stuck with the Snorlax bit and gave up on the game, so I stuck with Sapphire and Colosseum.

Then during 7th grade, I got the Xbox 360 for Christmas along with a WWE SvR2008 game and I became more addicted with wrestling (I was a wrestling fan since 2005 but became obsessed around 2007).

Anyways, thanks to the 360, I literally stopped playing Pokemon completely. Everyone at Middle School (7th and 8th grade) were playing Diamond and Pearl and doing competitive battles. I thought that the new pokemon in Sinnoh looked dumb and I never liked it. I also didnt like the new Sinnoh anime. I stopped watching the anime sometime before Ash entered the Hoenn League tournament.

However sometime in 2010, my mother got me the Nintendo DSi and Pokemon Platinum (HG/SS were already the brand new game). Then after I played Platinum, I fell in love with Pokemon again. Then I started to rewatch the Sinnoh anime and I have been following it since. I then got Soul Silver and eventually Heart Gold, then White, White 2, X&Y, etc...

So yeah, I took about a 3 year break until I became hooked. Now I am a proud Pokemon nerd once again like I was when I was a little boy.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Stoney the Mewtwo
The original powerhouse!

Nature: Naive
There was a time when I was considering quitting pokemon for good.

It was towards the end of gen 4.

I was thinking of never playing pokemon again because it bothered me so much that not all pokemon were
competitvly viable.

But I learned to accept this, for as someone pointed out to me, favorites are born of having non-favorites
& I was in a pretty competitve state of mind, despite not actually doing competitve battling, so I
decided to try to break free of my competitveness & try the new Black & White games.

& I'm glad I did.

In Black & White, they introduced the infinte use TMs, which is something I've been wanting to see for a long time &
when they revealed Mega evolution for X & Y, I couldn't be more excited because in theory, ANY pokemon could
become viable for competitve use!

Although, I'm still trying to lose my competitve edge & I'm just about there...
In ORAS, I'll start using pokemon, regardless of nature.
(Because Natures only matter in actual competitve battling.)
& since I've been working on losing my competitve edge, I have been enjoying the games more & more.

I'm happy to say I'll never actually quit playing Pokemon!

So anyways, I did take a break from pokemon completely, but it was for only a few months...
(Thank goodness!)
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:45 AM
22GreenAlfs

Nature: Modest
The games are definitely more fun when you just catch a pokemon and battle. All of this female Eevee with perfect IVs and HA breeding is tedious and boring.

Friend Code: 4613-7428-0524
In-game Name: Owen
No Smogon or VGC Rules. 6v6 Singles Only.
Trades if needed.

"It's rough out there. Move back in with your parents, let them worry about it."
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:22 AM
pippitha

Nature: Quirky
i haven't played my game since a couple months now. I quit playing for a while until the new games come out. I've got a lot of school and work, and then my friends all have different games so i'm just by myself.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:05 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I think from 2006 up until late 2007/early 2008, I just drifted away from Pokemon. I actually lost both my Sapphire and Gold versions (I always kept them together), and since I was well removed from both the anime and TCG, I just stopped following the franchise. It wasn't so much that I wanted to move on, but I didn't really miss it when it was gone. My cousin and I eventually found out about ROM hacking though, which led me here to PC, and I've stuck around (for the most part) ever since!

Though, as much as I hate to admit it, if it weren't for PC, I'd have probably drifted away again in the past year. I found myself struggling to get through White 2 and still haven't finished Y yet, despite getting it on release. Alpha Sapphire definitely has caught my eye though, and theories and discussions about Pokemon as a whole always interest me, so I just can't see myself staying away from it any time in the forseeable future.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:19 AM
Stargazer
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Stargazer
I kinda took a break from Pokémon around 2008 or so, because to me Diamond/Pearl had been getting stale and I was more consumed with my Xbox 360. But when Platinum came out, it got me right back into the circle, and then Heart Gold a year later was solid. To say the least, i've hardly looked at my Xbox since getting White 2.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:52 AM
Virgo
keep scrolling

Sometime after I got modded I started to lose interest in Pokemon (while in a Pokemon section) which is partly why I left. Though looking back I think I lost interest because I started to associate Pokemon with this site and I have generally negative feelings towards here.

I also took a break after Black/White came out. I bought Black and played through it and was very disappointed. I have a lot of mixed feelings about DPPt so when B/W sucked for me I started to think that I was growing out of Pokemon or at least that the newer stuff wasn't for me.

When a lot of information about x and y started to come out it really caught my interest which I hadn't felt since HG/SS. I really wanted to play some new form of Pokemon while waiting for the newest games to come out so I went and ordered White 2 after reading that it was much better. This was like one or two months before X/Y launched. Anyway I def enjoyed it more, but it still was really meh for me. Once I got Y I was fully back into Pokemon. I think those two games where a nice breath of fresh air.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Mario
The Blue Commander ★
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Mario
I did, actually.

I took a break from Pokemon after 3rd gen. I honestly can't remember why, but I think I went through one of those "I'm too old for Pokemon" phases. It caused me to decide to stop playing even when 4th gen came out. The thing that got me back into Pokemon was when I went over to my friend's house one day and she was playing it. I found her Diamond version really intriguing in how different it was from gen 3. So I gave up that phase entirely and bought Pearl not long after.

I'll never take a break again. I don't care about my age anymore, I'll still play Pokemon. :P It's too good to not play and watch and enjoy!

[PoTW PeachGoombario Yoshi Tippi ]
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Addy

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Addy
I took a huge break from the pokemon fandom between Yellow and Pearl. I never played any of the GBA games. I also take breaks in between each generation. I play the games until I finish them in terms of beating the elite four. Then I gravitate to other games, go back to Pokemon for a bit but sometimes it's months between when I play.

Friend Safari Type: Ghost: Shuppet, Phantump and Golurk
Friend Code: 4253-3789-0112

Vivillons I have: Polar, Modern, Elegant, Continental, High Plains, Garden, Meadow
pm me if you have a Vivillon I don't.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
Blueredemption
Kanto's Castaway

Nature: Careful
its hard to think of life without pokemon, I have to think to remember a time when I haven't played pokemon haha. lets see...

just recently I got away from pokemon, for about a month, when I got swallowed up in fire emblem. also before that (almost a year now) I got addicted to minecraft for a good chunk of time. then the x-y leaks started comming in and I was back on track.

I haven't deliberately gotten away from pokemon, even when my friends did, so thats a plus

Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Fire

[ Kanto (LG) 0/8 ] [ Johto (SS) Mono 0/16 ] [ Hoenn (S) Mono 0/8 ] [ Sinnoh (P) 0/8 ] [ Unova (W2) 0/8 ] [ Kalos (X) 0/8 ]
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Scotash!

8 years, I took an 8 year break. Stopped playing the games after Ruby & sapphire. Was hooked on football, already but really went over the top between 2004-2006 then after that was general teenage stuff and WWE. I got back into it 2 years ago after buying the Black & White movie and I've been hooked on the anime since!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Marisa
a usertitle a day keeps Reimu away ~
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
Had to take a forced break because my DS' screen cracked and I lost it, but before that my mum gave away my Platinum...unfortunately that was the only game I had that I really liked playing, so I had no use for my DS anymore. I started playing Pokemon games a year or something after, with emulated versions of the previous GBA/GBC games.
leijon
kimisumi

pairs
family
credit
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Endless
& heading that way

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Thankfully, I don't believe I have. Ever since I was introduced to Pokémon, I've clung to it as much as I possibly could, one way or another. I did stop playing games at one point, as well as watching the anime, but I still kept up with it by hanging around in some Pokémon forum. That's got to count for something, right? I just love this franchise, and would keep following it for as long as I can.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 08:49 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
Surprisingly, I have. And it was a long period of time, something close to 3 years. Like when I was 12 or 13 maybe.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 04:14 PM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
I ended up taking a break but it wasn't really intentional, I have a tendency to cling to old consoles lol and I ended up getting both my GBA and DS quite late in comparison to when the Pokémon games for each console were released so I kinda missed the experience of playing them at the same time as everyone else BUT as I've gone through all the games now I feel like I've made up for that break haha; you can never keep me away from Pokémon for too long
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:51 PM
Maserati777

A bunch of breaks.

I started watching the series in 1998 and stopped watching it in 2006 when the voice actors changed.
I started playing Yellow in 1998, then bought Crystal, after that I bought Sapphire and Fire Red. I played through the gyms in Yellow and Crystal but I didn't have a good team for Elite Four/Indigo Plateau so I quit playing the games and they sat for 10 years. I was never all that interested in Sapphire as I just didn't like the new Pokemon and Fire red was just a copy of Yellow so. A couple years ago I went back and finished Yellow and Crystal. Mostly I went into my Crystal Pokemon Storage system and found some pokemon, leveled up/traded them over(Dewgong/Alakazam/Feraligatr/Jynx) to Yellow and finished both games. I recently caught Lugia on Crystal finally.

I haven't been much interested in playing the games since Crystal though. I don't really like the 3d effect or the clothing options, too many gadgets for me. After they came out with the DS I stopped buying the games altogether so I never bought Gen 4.

I stopped buying the cards around 2004 as I didn't like the e-series design. I started collecting the BW series again last August after seeing a pack opening on Youtube randomly while watching a video. Mostly what got me into collecting again was the full art ex's. I'm only interested in the full art legendary pokemon, full art supporters and gen 1 pokemon.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 08:33 PM
YoshiStar

I didn't consciously take a break, but for some reason I just wasn't interested in the Black II and White II generation. I was already kind of weirded out by Black and White coming after the DS entries, because it wasn't often when you saw two generations on the same handheld. But then ... Black II and White II! The 3ds was already out. I had no interest lol.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 05:50 AM
StaraptorFTW

After Pokémon Platinum, I sorta got sidetracked by my ps3 and NBA 2k. But as soon as I got Heartgold, I started right back up, and especially since I have a 3ds now.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 06:13 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I beilive I did in 2009 as I needed to study that year for my important exams.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 07:14 AM
GetGowens

After Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Platinum I didn't play pokemon for nearly 3 years and I just recently got Pokemon X & Y and got back into it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 09:26 AM
Chikara
Toucher of Butts
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I've never taken a break from Pokemon, but I'm definitely getting to that age where you don't even have the energy to finish a game anymore. I finish all of them anyway, but I'm very "bleh" about it.

X/Y changed that however. It was DIFFERENT and kept my interest. I think it's the repetitiveness that killed the appeal for me during Black and White ):

Old 4 Weeks Ago, 11:02 AM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I found my reply to a topic like this from a year ago, so I'll just quote it with a few corrections . Laziness at it's finest, ladies and gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
I quit twice, actually .

I was introduced to the franchise when I was eleven, with Pokémon Blue. Loved it, played it like crazy, annoyed my parents so that they would buy me the other versions of essentially the game same... then Gen 2 came out and it was on all over again. By the time Gen 3 arrived, my parents had enough and I was stuck playing on the PC.

The first time I quit was after playing some Gen 3 on an emulator. To be honest, at first, I hated it. I've been told back then that Gen 3 couldn't connect with Gen 2, and not knowing anything about Regional and National Dexes, when I saw Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip in the Pokédex where Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle were supposed to be, I was upset. I thought they completely remade the franchise and threw the old Pokémon out for good (thus, my reaction when I saw Zubat was: "THIS is what they kept?"). I thought the game dragged, with routes being so long and everything... but the final straw, and I know this is petty but I was 15 back then, was a Pokémon design... I quit the game with the intention of never playing it again the moment I saw Lunatone.

A few months later, my friend who gave me the ROMs sent me a save file with the complete national dex and my faith in the franchise was restored . Gen 3 slowly grew on me over time, but I was stuck playing with the emulator, so I coudn't experience the social part of it.

The second (and longest) time was when Gen 4 came around. The DS emulators available back then were too slow for me to enjoy the game, and by the time they became fast enough, I stopped caring.

Fast forward to a year and a half ago ("2.5 years ago now" - SaniOKh from the present) when I finished college, got a job, and decided to start a retro videogame collection. After buying some old consoles and games, I got a SNES cart with an internal battery (used for saving games back in the day) about to die, and decided to learn how to replace internal batteries. My first test subject was the good old Pokémon Blue. I managed to replace the battery and then decided to try the Mew Glitch. And after that I just kept playing. When I was done, I replaced the batteries in all other Gen 1 and 2 carts. And then, slowly, I started ordering the games I missed online: Gen 3, Gen 4, the remakes, and even managed to score a DS Lite in a great condition. Ultimately, I bought Gen 5 and a 3DS. So here I am, fully equipped and definitely back and definitely excited about Gen 6.
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 03:14 PM
Blueboi22

Gen V was my break. I didn't like the Unova region at all :/

1134-8688-9820[/sig-reason]
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 07:24 PM
Yato
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Yato
Never taken a break from Pokemon entirely, though there was a period a few years back where I didn't have any motivation to play any of the games. Usually, if I consider playing a Pokemon game I will do it, though I may not get around to finishing it. This case was different because no matter how much I thought about playing one of the games, I just couldn't get it out and play it.

themegifsgfx/css
tumblriconsever grande
3ds fcfriend safaripair
Old 3 Weeks Ago, 07:40 PM
Pepperton
that's risky

Send a message via Skype™ to Pepperton
I've never let Pokemon go entirely since I first became a fan around the age of six, but right after Platinum came out, I didn't really play as much as I used to. Pre-Sinnoh, I played the games non-stop, watched the anime, even toyed around with the TCG, but I was really disappointed with both Diamond and Platinum. In fact, I didn't even plan to buy HGSS despite my love for Johto, but my friend got it for me as a birthday present, and I slowly worked my way back into the franchise. Unova was great, and after BW I was back to being a crazed fan n__n
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links