• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic [M] [OOC/SU]

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years

Vale Institute of Magic

Spoiler:

Background

On July 19th, 1941, a phenomenon occurred that changed World War II, and the entire world: denizens of Earth discovered that they could use magic, bending nature to their will. Not only that, but they found their bodies more durable, and capable of handling the extreme strain of controlling the elements. This was quickly put to use in medical, physical, and technological research under now-famous names such as Einstein; but more importantly it found a place on the battlefield. Magic's first offensive use in the war had been December 7th of that year, when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. The French immediately surrendered. Magic went on to become a major part of the war; the atomic bombs dropped on Japan had been crafted by earth mages, and the various elements had been used in place of conventional weaponry for the few who could wield it. On top of controlling the elements, mages had found that they became much more durable than before, their bodies harder to burn, blast, and penetrate than their normal counterparts, and for longer periods of time.

In response to the destructive nature magic posed to the world, at the end of the war the United Nations, in correspondence with the governments of various countries, had worked to keep public recognition of magic to a minimum. Conspiracy theories abound, magic soon became truly known only to mages and government officials. With the rise in mages and the Internet, however, it was necessary that institutions be built for the sake of isolating young mages and teaching them to control their abilities before they became a threat to anyone's safety, and before magic as a whole had to be revealed to an anxious public. Various government-funded boarding schools were erected across the world, and the United States alone now has 21 academies working in concert with surveillance networks to find as many magically-endowed citizens they could find. The oldest of these is the Vale Institute of Magic, known to non-mages as the Vale Institute of Higher Learning.

Located somewhere in the High Plains of the western United States, the Vale Institute of Magic is one of four high schools, ranging from grades 9 to 12, and is currently run by a powerful mage named Kristen Vale. Through any means of communication they can muster, Vale contacts young adults around the country (and sometimes in other countries) and invites them to complete their schooling at the Institute, providing not only control over one's magical prowess for use in battle and many recreational pursuits, but the full benefits of a well-funded education system. Roughly a thousand students attend at any given time, and they're typically accepted into their college or university of choice, or as apprentices for multiple vocations where they can put their magic and education to productive use. Needless to say, magic academies are pretty great.

Attendance comes with some hefty risks, though. While Vale has some of the best medical mages in the country (only surpassed by the US government), students could lose their lives, much like if every student was equipped with a loaded gun. Rumors also tell that the headmistress isn't as righteous as most believe she is. Some believe she has some hidden agenda for the students and faculty of the school. But that's just a rumor.

You are a student who, one way or another, was invited to the Vale Institute of Higher Learning for the start of a new school year, offered the best education the United States could offer. You may be new to your powers, or a seasoned veteran of the magical arts. You'll be making new friends, and learning about magic, yourself, and things about the world you may not need or want to know.

The School

Main Building: To the north end of Vale's campus is the main building, a fairly simple rectangular brick-and-mortar building standing three stories tall. First year students' classes and faculty offices are on the first floor, along with the cafeteria; infirmary; and the entrance to the gymnasium, which doubles as a basketball court. Both the cafeteria and infirmary are found in the east, while the gym is located in the west wing. The cafeteria offers a wide selection of professionally-prepared food on its own, as well as a few kiosks that give students quick access to Subway, McDonald's and Pizza Hut. Kitchen-inclined students have culinary classes here. The second floor is made up by second and third year classes, and the third floor holds the headmistress' office and fourth year classes. Classes are based on years of study at Vale (and in some cases experience), rather than being segregated by age.

Magic Fields: Along with traditional sports fields found immediately west and east of the school, behind the building to the north is a collection of eight magically-charged battlefields (about half the size of a football field) tended to by a small group of Vale staff, including a groundskeeper to allow students to practice using their magic in various environments.

Recreation Center: The recreation center is the place to go if you want to have some unconditional fun on campus. You can find all sort of stuff here, such as TV, games, and some athletic equipment for the more physical students. The school's 50-meter swimming pool is located here. Half of the pool is inside while the other half is outside, and both are separated by a sheet of glass to keep the outside from getting in.

Dorms: There are two gender-specific dorm buildings on the south side of campus, with the boys' dorm to the southwest, and the girls' southeast. Student rooms are furnished with two twin-sized beds, two computer desks (including a MacBook Pro), two dressers, a closet, and a full bathroom. They can be decorated however students wish, and they can even exchange their desk or bed.

Ridgeton: The school is found at the center of a small, magic-filled town only about ten miles wide. Still, Ridgeton houses many magic-oriented residents, and a few restaurants, shops, facilities, and even a strip mall and movie theater. Students can work at these locations for extra money, and their student IDs double as debit cards. Vale rewards students with an allowance based on positive performance, behavior and achievements during their time at the school.

Magic

No one really knows where magic came from. Some scientists theorised that magic leaked in from a neighboring universe or alternate dimension, lending to their belief in various multiverse theories. Others dug into the existence of qì, the energy that flows through all living things. Others also turned into religious nuts. What we do know is that magic allows humanity to control and manipulate the natural world in ways most could only dream of. Magic users are known as mages.

There are four base elements from which all magic blossoms, and anyone can learn:
  • Fire
  • Earth
  • Water
  • Air

Most people (about 90% of humanity) aren't born with the ability to use magic, but with determination (or should they undergo trauma), they can learn how to use it. The lucky ones, however, find that they operate on a certain "wavelength", so to speak, which makes them compatible with a magical element from birth, but they may not even realize they can use it, leaving less than 5% of humanity capable of using magic. Academies like Vale exist across the world to raise that number and make it conducive to human progress.

With time, talent, and training, a mage's element evolves, taking on new forms. An ember becomes a spark of electricity, a bundle of stone hardens into a ball of steel or blooms into nature's bounty, water freezes over or seeps into the skin and recovers it from damage and stress, and the invisible air solidifies into smoke and vapors.

There are three other elements to magic, but they are not taught at Vale due to their rarity, and they cannot be learned. These mages are "chosen" by the element they wield by overwriting their original magical wavelength, and may very well have controlled one of the four elements before the new one supplanted it. They are named the Light, Darkness, and Spirit elements, and supersede one's ability to use the natural elements.

Light and Darkness wielders are able to manipulate the power of light, or the lack thereof. It's not unheard of for a Light mage to literally become a beam of light or make a solid shield, or for a Darkness mage to sink into the shadows or make a spear. Although their individual abilities and limitations are aligned with the four natural elements, no one really knows what would happen if Light and Darkness mages could combine their efforts.

Spirit mages, however, don't have control over the physical world. Spirit mages manifest their force of will. By generating and using their own energy, rather than that of the elements surrounding them, Spirit mages can achieve a variety of feats, from mimicking the properties of other elements to increasing the abilities of other mages. With diligence, patience and years of practice, officials believe the few Spirit mages there are would be able to transcend the limits of a physical body; they are power personified.

Rules

∞ All PC and RPC rules apply.

∞ All IC posts must be at least 100 words in length.

∞ Do not use abbreviations like "lol" or "omg".

∞ Do not double post.

∞ Do not godmod or bunny other players' characters.​

∞ Colony and Songbird are the GMs of this roleplay. Please do not question our decisions. Chances are we've already answered it.

∞ Respect your fellow players; communicate. It hurts everyone when you don't.

∞ You can't win everything. Be prepared to take a loss at some point.

∞ This RP is rated M for mature/16+. Themes involving excessive gore, explicit bedroom scenes, or overt amounts of swearing are still banned.

Accepted Characters

∞ Zane Reav - Colony

∞ Shion Kavanagh - Songbird

∞ Domingo Hernández - Geras32

∞ Alma Sophia Jones - Nakuzami

∞ Jack Marrick - Lord Sephear

∞ Violett Fuerst-Shaw - Grif of Hearts

∞ Nasrin Nouri - doge

∞ Michael Graves - DreamOrDestruction

Signup Sheet

Name:

Element:

Spells:

Appearance:

Personality:

History:

Other:

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Aaaaand, it's back! Cool!
Mind if I just repost my SU from the last time around? I'll be using the exact same character either way~

Colony

Years
I'll put everybody down for reservations. Nakuzami, using the same character is fine, but there are quite a few changes in the magic department (and other areas of the SU), so a direct copy is unacceptable without edits.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Time to dust off my Jerkwad GM Hat.

Here's a Shion v3. (I don't like the number 2, so I skipped it. Don't ask why. Version 3 sucks, but it sounds cooler than 2.)

Spoiler:

And now here's a brand new character(s).

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Colony

Years
Spoiler:

Last edited:

タイラー

Stress
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
After looking a Colony's SU i now want to cry.

Well what base should i make my Spells off of, or is it creative freedom

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Creative freedom, as long as you adhere to the element itself. Fire mages can control fire and temperature (with proper balancing, obviously; for example, if they want to lower the surrounding temperature to freezing point, they'd have to draw in all the heat around their body and raise their body temperature in exchange). Water mages can control water and other fluids, but nothing else unless they've advanced enough to control ice as well.

Also, how does Auron weigh 110 lbs even though he's six feet tall? Unless he's severely undernourished, he should be at least 135, and even that is considered underweight for his height.

Last edited:

タイラー

Stress
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
I was half asleep doing this, so im surprised thats the only thing your telling me about. Ill fix it later, and i will finish it once i have motivation

Colony

Years
Will do, Warden.

As a note, no GM character counts towards the Light, Dark, Spirit counts. In other words, there is still a Light spot available.

Nakuzami

Years
I'll put everybody down for reservations. Nakuzami, using the same character is fine, but there are quite a few changes in the magic department (and other areas of the SU), so a direct copy is unacceptable without edits.

Okey dokey! Of course that means my SU will take a little longer, especially since I'm finishing up a sign-up for another roleplay, but that'll give me some time to get a bit more creative! I'll likely keep Alma as an Air mage, but I'll think about the possibilities of becoming a Spirit mage before I make my sign-up. On that note, would it be possible for one to eventually learn something in one of those three special classes of magic later down the line? Even if it's minimal, it could still provide an interesting piece for a character.

Colony

Years
It is indeed possible for someone to learn magic from any of the LDS magics. There is, however, a certain set of requirements for these to be gained, and there is a price.

Excerpt taken from the OP: There are three other elements to magic, but they are not taught at Vale due to their rarity, and they cannot be learned. These mages are "chosen" by the element they wield by overwriting their original magical wavelength, and may very well have controlled one of the four elements before the new one supplanted it. They are named the Light, Darkness, and Spirit elements, and supersede one's ability to use the natural elements.

Last edited:

Nakuzami

Years
Ahaha, yeah I read that. I just wasn't sure if we'd still be able to learn the special magicks after the sign-up period, since they're supposed to be so special and all. Thanks for clarifying that, though. ^u^;

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
You can definitely work it out in private with us beforehand, and we'll be happy to help arrange a time that's comfortable with you where Light or Darkness overwrites the original. Spirit magic, though, is one you'd have to have been born with or acquired extremely early because of how it works. :3

However, it's probably easier and much less work for everyone involved to just have it from the start of the RP.

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Oh man, Colony! I couldn't help myself the first time and I can't the second. This time I'll keep up though ;) I'm wondering can I use the spirit element. I'd love to have a JoJo character that can use something close to a stand. Also Reserve me a spot!

Jotaro
Kujo

SIGN - UP

529px-Caesar_Concept_Art.png

-

For the T R A I N E R
Full Name: Caesar Zeppeli
Personality: Caesar Zeppeli is a blond, suave ladies' man, as well as a skilled Air Magic user. He is rather cool and collected. As a highly trained individual, Caesar possesses very high physical abilities: along with a large amount of physical strength and proficiency in hand to hand combat, Caesar has an amazing sense of balance and co-ordination. Caesar also boasts a high level of endurance far surpassing normal humans, being able to survive for a few days without food, and taking high amount of physical punishment and still getting up to continue fighting. This is most likely attributed to his Air Magic use.

History:

For the M A G I C

Element: Air/Smoke

Caesar uses Air magic through self-controlled respiration. He can create an almost infinite amount of stamina through generating enough amounts of air inside of his body in order to maintain stamina.
Spells:

Bubble Cutter: Caesar condenses large amounts of air into a bubble with the ability to slice. This causes them to form shapes much like saucers with a small blade-like ring surrounding each piece of vapor. These bubbles move at a higher velocity and have a higher tractability, allowing Caesar to fire them at any direction with ease.

And the AWESOME M I S C E L L A N Y

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I'm wondering can I use the spirit element. I'd love to have a JoJo character that can use something close to a stand.

A what?

We are not reserving spots for the Light, Darkness and Spirit elements, but you're welcome to apply for them. However, please know that the Spirit element has a significantly higher entry floor than any others due to the nature of it. (I will probably be really annoying about it, too.) Even Light and Darkness are easier to apply for.

Last edited:

NyxShooter

drifting wanderer
Years
Dont do it...Dont do it. Dont do i- Reserve me, I beg of you. This is too good to pass up. Please let me know if my character needs any work on the spells and such, and if they need any more limitations :D. Im finishing my history up right now.

Name: Ivo Steele

Element: Darkness

Spells:

Seep

Seep, quite adequate to the name, is where Ivo seeps into the shadows, pertaining invisibility of sorts. He shifts the dimensions of his body to pertain the dimensions of the shadow he is seeping in to. Though this spell might seem powerful to some, if Ivo seeps into the shadows he cannot tread where light is. Only where there is the presence of a Shadow can Ivo Walk over it. Ivo can only Seep if he is concentrated, and is immersed in shadows. The spell has quite a few limitations, however after Ivo sucessfully seeps, he can walk in the shadow without using a large amount of his stamina, however if he stays in the shadows for too long he starts to get nauseous and can fall out of his seep form.

Overcoat

Overcoat, again true to its name (you might sense a pattern here), is where shadows start to envelop any designated area around Ivo's body, be it his fist, leg, foot, head. This spell does take up a sufficient amount of energy and will leave him tired after it's been used. If in a fight, Ivo would not like to use Overcoat more than 4 times. Overcoat can take a larger toll depending on the area it's covering. Obviously covering a finger and covering his entire torso will result in different after-effects. Ivo can use Overcoat to injure the wearer, by tightening the shadows. He can attach a Shadow onto someone else, however it required a very heavy amount of focus.

Expunge

Expunge, true to its name, is a rather violent Spell and Ivo try to use it as infrequently as possible. Expunge wraps the target in a shadow and inject spikes into said target. It is not very effective against ground casters. Expunge is fueled by any hatred which Ivo is feeling at the time. Ivo, being a more merry person, cannot put a very large punch into Expunge. Expunge's greatest downfall is that Ivo is left very tired muscle wise, and it is difficult for him to move. He will indefinitley vomit after using Expunge as it takes up a superior amount of energy. Expunge's limitation is that the user needs hatred and shadows to use the spell, and in an open area, casting Expunge is close to impossible, and if casted the damage will be null.

Bastion

Bastion acts as a shield, and the shield dimensions cannot be modified well. It's limited by its dimensions, and can be easily broken by any Light or Fire spell. Bastion is the counterpart of Expunge in that it works as fevorously as how much the user wants to protect something. Bastion is a strong shield, but according to how long it is used, it will take a toll on its user. Ivo tries to use Bastion to protect, and protect for a limited amount of time.

Appearance:

Spoiler:

Ivo is a lean 19 year old male with dark hair and blue eyes. His hair flows down to about shoulder length, and is quite puffy. He has a small jaw line, and a face with little to no facial hair. Ivo makes it a task to shave frequently, Ivo has a tuft of hair which comes down to his forehead. Ivo's hair is usually kept very messy, and does not comb it as often.

Ivo can be seen wearing a white t-shirt with black a black circle, encircling his collar. Lines stem out from the circle and encompass his sleeves. The tips of his cuffs on his shirt are black, with a hint of yellow. Ivo usually wears either slack shorts or baggy jeans. He does not appreciate tight clothing as it leaves someone immensely uncomfortable. Ivo usually wears the same attire, unless a special occasion is at hand. Ivo also has a chain necklace with a black, single wing. His fashion sense is very linear and monotone.

Ivo stays away from flashy clothing as much as possible, and hates wearing a monkey suit (a tuxedo). Ivo is 5'9" and weighs 134 pounds. He doesn't have the largest frame, and is not the most intimdating figure. He can be seen with bags under his eyes as he suffers from mild Insomnia.

Personality:

If you asked Ivo's parents to describe him, they would say Lazy, Arrogant, and Kind. If you asked Ivo to describe himself he would say Awesome, Awesome, and Awesome. If you asked any of Ivo's friends they would say he's Carefree, easygoing, and quite lively. His friends know him the best.

Ivo has no care in the world, be it academics, sports or girls. He doesn't care how other people see him, or his fashion sense. He dislikes people who try to change him, or who change themselves for the amusement or attention of others. Ivo tends not to speak his dislikes to people, and can keep his outrage inside of him.

Ivo is an expert at hiding emotions, and can always portray himself as some guy who particularly doesnt give a sh!t. Ivo can be quiet at times, and sometimes keeps to himself, however Ivo is a very merry and cheery person and really likes to interact with people. Ivo wont carry out a conversation if he feels awkward with the topic. Ivo is quite selfless at times, and puts other before himself.

Ivo isn't always straightforward with what he says, however people get the message and the idea. He can transmit ideas from people to people, and is sometimes a rebel. He doesn't appreciate the way modern education works with standardized testing, but he rolls with it anyway.

Ivo always took pride in his studies of magic, and Ivo loved to travel whenever presented the opportunity. Ivo never really liked to stay in one place due to his ADD, and classic academics was just not for him. Ivo loves his studies his magic as he actually gets to perform it rather than learn it and contain it.

Ivo's greatest pet peeve is someone who judges him for what he does, and is not afraid to voice his dislike on these kinds of people. Ivo will be social with anyone except someone who judges him. Ivo also despises the casual hypocrite.

History:

"You mistake me sir. I dont care.

Ivo Steele, the greatest couch-potato a parent can ask for. Ivo was adopted to a lovely couple, known as Emmanouil Steele, his father, and Aatami Steele, his other father. Ivo was adopted by his two fathers, and everyone made jokes about him for that. They all joshed around with him, calling him names and rude slurs.

Ivo grew up in an orphanage known as 'Frankies Orphanage for Lovely Kids', and the Lovely part was simply a pull factor for adults. Franky, the old lady owner of the orphanage, absolutely hated kids. She named it Lovely Kids so adults would take the kids off her and she wouldn't have to deal with them. Most of the kids were the very contrapositive of lovely. All the kids there were bullies and shmucks. Ivo was 9 when his future parents came to the orphanage, they were disgusted by what they saw. The only thing that didn't make them leave was a small kid who had a teddy-bear, with white hair.

Ivo was 11 when his parents took him camping. When they setup a camp fire, Ivo was entranced by the flame. Ivo loved fire, it was a beautiful thing which created and ended life. While staring into the flame, he didn't realize that he was making it dance, flicker, extinguish and re-light it again. His fathers realized he was a mage, or had the potential to become one.

Throughout his life, Ivos parents homeschooled him and didn't send him to a public school. They thought that home-tutoring was much safer and better for Ivo after their little experience when they sent Ivo to 4th grade. When Ivo first entered Saint Maggies Public School, people were being really nice to him. He felt warm and happy at first, but then he introduced himself to the class.

"Hi Everybody!" he said with a warm expression. "My name is Ivo, I'm 10 years old. I go to fourth grade, obviously." he said and he got a laugh from the class. Little did Ivo know it was a strictly catholic school. "I have two fathers, and they're both great. They're the ones who told me to come here." he said, his smile unwavering. This time, everyone seemed...scared? The teacher slapped Ivo across the face and told him to immediately leave the school.

Ivo, defeated, left the school and marched home drearily. He had no spring in his foot, instead his foot hit the floor with a heavy thud. He told his parents what happened and they felt sorry for him, and from that day on he was homeschooled. Not just academically, they hired a teacher who could teach all subjects, including the subject of arcane studies.

Ivo, when he was 13, his parents got his report-card style sheet from Ivo's Teacher. All except his arcane studies were D's and F's. His Arcane Studies stood at a high A, and Ivo was proud. Despite his ADD, he managed to do well in arcane studies. It was the only subject which piqued his intrests. When he was 14, and summer was over, his teacher asked him to make a circle of fire. This should've been a pushover for Ivo, but he learned he couldn't conjure up any more flames. Ivo was worried sick, and when his teacher consulted his parents, he was afraid they would take him back to the orphanage. He tried as hard as he could to conjure up a circle of fire, and then he simplified it and tried to make a circle. It was all futile.

Ivo hadn't been able to conjure a flame for 7 months. He gave up on the arcane studies, and he still harbored the fear that his parents might send him back to the wretched orphanage. Ivo, in this time, learned to become easy-going. He was calm, cool, and collected. He lied down in the grass multiple occasion and looked up at the sky. He hung out with his friends next door. They were hooligans together, and they did lots of crazy stuff. The craziest was when they met up at 11:00 PM, the sky blotched with dark clouds. Ivo went outside and knocked on his friends door, his friend opened it and he said "Hello?" to seemingly no-one in particular. Ivo was startled and said "Andrew, its me Ivo!" and Andrew just shrugged and went back inside.

Ivo was puzzled, why hadn't Andrew seen him? He was walking back home when he looked down at his arm and checked the time. The time wa-... Where was his arm. He couldn't see his arm. He panicked and started to run home. He knocked on the door and when his dad opened it, he ran inside the well lit home. His body suddenly materialized, and he felt sick. He hugged his dad, said a random "Thank you." and went to his bed. He slept for a good while.

A few months later, he recieved a letter from the Vale Institute of Higher Learning. His parents were proud that he was able to go to a school of magic, but they hadn't known they were being tricked by their son. He said he was going there to learn Fire, when that was entirely incorrect. They presumably wanted him for his arcane studies or his knowledge of Darkness casting. It was most likely the latter, and he was more than anxious to what he was going to see..

Other:

Ivo sometimes has hallucinations, and has a slightly psycho side to him which he tries not to let out.

Last edited:

タイラー

Stress
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
I have a feeling this rp is going to be big. Am i correct in assuming this is a sandbox roleplay

Back