Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tool] Spiky's DS Map Editor

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old June 8th, 2014 (03:00 AM).

it seems this project is dead...
Old June 8th, 2014 (10:20 AM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Poke_Spirit:
You're not helping by saying this. Plus something this intricate takes time, so either don't say anything at all or support.

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old June 8th, 2014 (03:14 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
From what I was told, he is rewriting the application, so that'll take him some time.

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.

The Legend of Legacy - Main Battle Theme
Old June 16th, 2014 (09:35 PM).

when i try to load a game (so far heart gold and pokemon white) i get an error that says it cant find a banner.bin file. im on windows XP
Old June 17th, 2014 (01:34 AM).
Idle life

Nature: Lonely
Oh! A DS map editor. It was here since 2012 but I didn't notice it until now. I haven't been in pokecommunity for long and I just started to ROM hack like a month ago using advance map. Frankly there are so many fields were you can elaborate on that it's kind of overwhelming. I still have not mastered anything. I do maps but sometimes I get stuck because I just don't start editing tilesets and stuff and I wish I could just add sprites and new tiles instead of replacing existing ones and also I wish I could create new headers for each new map I can make. There are a few that are not in use within the game but that is just not enough. Going on topic. I'm actually ecxited about the idea of being able to create maps in DS pokemon games. I would really like to hack a black 2 rom. The question is will I have trouble using this tool? Like I imagine something that I want to do and suddenly I'm going to be unable to make it because of program limitaions? Because what I seek to do is add regions to the default existing region. In Black 2 being Unova. For example I want to recreate the Hoenn region with using gen 5.2's graphics. Is this program at that stage where I can freely edit maps of gen 5 and create scripts? I know this might be hard work but I can only imagine all the effort that is being put in this program. I just want to make sure that there won't be any surprises were I suddenly have to stop what I'm doing because of an issue. Maybe I should test it. But answers could also help before I take this decision.
Vivillon: Archipelago
Friend Safari Type:
Friend Safari Pokemon: Pumpkaboo, Dusclops, Lampent
Old June 20th, 2014 (05:32 AM).

Hi Spiky, this tool is awesome and I've tried to use it for a project I've got in mind.

However, something strange occurs. I edited Header 107's (Mt.Moon Main Floor) Texture 1 field replacing it's value with the one of Cerulean Cave, since I wanted Mt.Moon to use Cerulean Cave's tileset. I made sure I pressed enter when writing the value and saved the header.

But when I test in-game, the map has still got it's original tileset, even though SDSME shows the map's header with the new value /:

www.hackromsacademy.forumcommunity.net
Old June 23rd, 2014 (12:07 AM).
Rom-hacker, & Researcher

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by †Nømura:
Hi Spiky, this tool is awesome and I've tried to use it for a project I've got in mind.

However, something strange occurs. I edited Header 107's (Mt.Moon Main Floor) Texture 1 field replacing it's value with the one of Cerulean Cave, since I wanted Mt.Moon to use Cerulean Cave's tileset. I made sure I pressed enter when writing the value and saved the header.

But when I test in-game, the map has still got it's original tileset, even though SDSME shows the map's header with the new value /:
It's not that, you can't edit the tileset like that. Your gonna have to change textures internally, by using MKDS Editor/Modifier Latest. Or you can extract the tileset file and change the texture names using hex. I wish there was an easier way doing this, but using MKDS is the easiest.

CLASS: PKMN Master

TSV: 2566

FC: 5000-3027-7289
IGN: Naas Ej
FS: ???
Old July 6th, 2014 (11:19 AM).
Bendiciones y buenas noches

The script command "008B" may be named "SetGivedPokemonMove". For example:

Code:
GiveStoredPokemon 0xPokemonNumber 0x?? 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x800C
008B 0x8005 0x0 0xFirstMoveNumber
008B 0x8005 0x1 0xSecondMoveNumber (Optional)
008B 0x8005 0x2 0xThirdMoveNumber (Optional)
008B 0x8005 0x3 0xFourthMoveNumber (Optional)
This script is used, for example, in HGSS, when you receive the Dratini with Extreme Speed.
Old July 12th, 2014 (10:23 AM).

Quote originally posted by KJGungeon:
It's not that, you can't edit the tileset like that. Your gonna have to change textures internally, by using MKDS Editor/Modifier Latest. Or you can extract the tileset file and change the texture names using hex. I wish there was an easier way doing this, but using MKDS is the easiest.
Yes, but this would make every map using that tileset file have the new textures, while I want only Mt.Moon and Cerulean Cave to display them. Is that possible?

www.hackromsacademy.forumcommunity.net
Old July 25th, 2014 (07:22 PM). Edited July 25th, 2014 by KJGungeon.
Rom-hacker, & Researcher

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by †Nømura:
Yes, but this would make every map using that tileset file have the new textures, while I want only Mt.Moon and Cerulean Cave to display them. Is that possible?
I know how to add a new texture line to the tileset files, the only problem is that you have to find time hex editing the maps obj files that have those textures. Edit the map.obj with hex editor and find texture name. You can change the name of the textures you see to the tileset's texture. It will only affect the map.obj you selected. If I can make a tut on how to add a new texture to the tileset file, you can use those new texture names on maps you only want textures to appear in.
(remember map.obj textures must have the same names as the tilesets in order to show.)

Sorry I made this very fast, and I'm not an active user because I'm a full time student, and part time worker. If you need help or more tips, just pm me or other guys who does nds rom hacking around here.

I'm also making a program that can edit the textures and its name using something like paint. By attaching an obj, you can see the textures it has. I'm not sure what else is needed, but I will have a release plan for it.
(It means that you can select an obj map file, and tileset file that goes with the map. Then edit them or add new texture without the use of hex editing.)

Because of this program I haven't been on hacking other areas of the NDS Rom, since I plan to solo this project out. I'm still learning the use of how to program with C+ and other stuff. But I'm getting there.

Goodluck RomHackers!

CLASS: PKMN Master

TSV: 2566

FC: 5000-3027-7289
IGN: Naas Ej
FS: ???
Old August 1st, 2014 (02:22 AM).
Bendiciones y buenas noches

The SDSME makes the HGSS arm9 incompatible for r4 and similar. And the map headers are in arm9.bin
Old August 9th, 2014 (07:16 PM).

Nature: Naughty
Hello Guys i just need a small help
My game Pokemon Platinum V1.0A EU
I can't find script for Text 379
Could you Help Me Please am finding too But Fail
Thanks in Advance
Old October 2nd, 2014 (12:17 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2014 by emelian65.

Hello, I want to know how to add a rematchable N on the Top of Celestial Tower, after beating Alder... can someone explain me or direct me to a place/thread/post/etc. of how can i do this? Please?

I also want to know if it's possible with this tool?

I couldn't open the trainer editor, is this normal?
Old October 4th, 2014 (07:29 AM). Edited October 4th, 2014 by GlaciaTaso.

Hi,Spiky.
I am looking forward to version 1.9.0.
Your tool helps me a lot to edit maps.
So please don't stop developing SDSME.
This is a example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJnIpUS9QG4
Old November 20th, 2014 (03:19 PM).

The project seems dead for now..
Old November 21st, 2014 (10:20 AM).

Nature: Naughty
if you want i can translate the program to greek!

________
I currently make my own pokemon engine in batch,and is a huge challenge!
Learn some basics on my thread http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=341773
I'll soon upload screenshots and videos about my wip engine.
Old November 23rd, 2014 (05:52 AM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
It's just like any program, if it isn't open source... no one can continue where the person left off at when the person no longer has interest in continuing the project or they have had some condition in where they can't continue. AdvanceMap is a good example of how a closed source project has been abandoned.

But of course, I highly doubt this project would get abandoned until quite a few years have passed. ^^'

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 27th, 2015 (06:30 PM).
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Mild
I am new to this rom hacking thing so can I get help
I have been trying to include all 5 regions in the rom hack but I can`t add any Map Headers can I please be told/shown how to do this
Old February 28th, 2015 (05:21 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Flamepalkia:
I am new to this rom hacking thing so can I get help
I have been trying to include all 5 regions in the rom hack but I can`t add any Map Headers can I please be told/shown how to do this
Last time I checked, it didn't have the ability to add Map Headers yet. I'm sure it would've by now if it was open-source.

There is a way of doing it via hex editing, but it requires a lot of modifying the ARM9 binary code and the overlay that contains the pointers for the map headers. It requires repointing in the overlay and adding in new code for the header, for each new map that you want to add into the game. And even I don't even know how to do it, since it's something I have never really even got around to doing at all.

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 28th, 2015 (12:58 PM).
ROM Hacker Gen V

Nature: Hardy
You don't have support scripts Even with B2W2 ?, is that scripts do with "HxD" xD
Old March 1st, 2015 (04:45 AM).
Crystal Tier

Seeing as SDSME hasn't been worked on for quite a while, the demand for less buggy open source Map Editor has been increasing. Despite so many Nintendo DS ROM Hacking tools out there, there just isn't one (other than SDSME and NPRE) that is dedicated to editing the map files in a/0/0/8 (in B/W/B2/W2). Since they all have an NSBMD file in each of the map files, you'd need to have the knowledge to know where the NSBMD file begins and ends within the file. I'm pretty sure I've got it documented in one of my tutorials on how to extract an NSBMD file from a map file and how to replace it. How about we do some research and development into where the map headers are stored in B/W/B2/W2?

I think the whole point is imo... we've just gotta all work together and share code with each other along with an open source code in order for a verity of tools to be used for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking. As such, it would be nice to see SDSME being worked alongside other projects and projects being merged with others and so on, while keeping it open source.

I've been thinking about developing a NSCR file editor for quite some time now, but I just don't have enough programming knowledge to do so yet. Just imagine how useful it would be to have something like a NSCR editor in SDSME? It would help with mapping graphics in images and all kinds of stuff like that.

The possibilities of creating tools for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking (and even Nintendo 3DS ROM Hacking now) are just absolutely endless. We can do anything! ^^

Old 1 Week Ago (08:38 PM).

The project seems dead for now..
Really helpful here, smart guy.

I dunno, guys. We should contact the OP somehow, because this project is definitely amazing, and I could help with it. if only it was open-sourced. I'm sure many others of your would agree with me.
Have you guys, by any chance, tried to contact him via e-mail or Skype? He hasn't been posting anything new for 2 years, both here and on youtube. Did something happen?
Old 1 Week Ago (08:40 PM).

Quote originally posted by Platinum Lucario:
Seeing as SDSME hasn't been worked on for quite a while, the demand for less buggy open source Map Editor has been increasing. Despite so many Nintendo DS ROM Hacking tools out there, there just isn't one (other than SDSME and NPRE) that is dedicated to editing the map files in a/0/0/8 (in B/W/B2/W2). Since they all have an NSBMD file in each of the map files, you'd need to have the knowledge to know where the NSBMD file begins and ends within the file. I'm pretty sure I've got it documented in one of my tutorials on how to extract an NSBMD file from a map file and how to replace it. How about we do some research and development into where the map headers are stored in B/W/B2/W2?

I think the whole point is imo... we've just gotta all work together and share code with each other along with an open source code in order for a verity of tools to be used for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking. As such, it would be nice to see SDSME being worked alongside other projects and projects being merged with others and so on, while keeping it open source.

I've been thinking about developing a NSCR file editor for quite some time now, but I just don't have enough programming knowledge to do so yet. Just imagine how useful it would be to have something like a NSCR editor in SDSME? It would help with mapping graphics in images and all kinds of stuff like that.

The possibilities of creating tools for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking (and even Nintendo 3DS ROM Hacking now) are just absolutely endless. We can do anything!
Old 1 Week Ago (08:42 PM).
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Alucard_I:
Really helpful here, smart guy.

I dunno, guys. We should contact the OP somehow, because this project is definitely amazing, and I could help with it. if only it was open-sourced. I'm sure many others of your would agree with me.
Have you guys, by any chance, tried to contact him via e-mail or Skype? He hasn't been posting anything new for 2 years, both here and on youtube. Did something happen?
He most likely just quit and moved on with his life like many hackers come to do. Hackmew and JPAN are examples of that.
He never was social either so I doubt anyone could make contact with him, and if you could I don't believe he'd email willing to just jump back into the project.

Join us in the romhacking chat
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old 1 Week Ago (02:08 AM).

Quote originally posted by GoGoJJTech:
He most likely just quit and moved on with his life like many hackers come to do. Hackmew and JPAN are examples of that.
He never was social either so I doubt anyone could make contact with him, and if you could I don't believe he'd email willing to just jump back into the project.
He may not wish to jump back to work, I agree. But at least he could share the code with others, so his work wouldn't go to waste! This is definitely something we don't want to happen, right?
I'll be trying to contact him.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links