Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tool] Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 22nd, 2014 (01:21 PM).

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Is locationnames a table of pointers or a table of text? It has to be the pointer table.
I found by Bug. The Pointer must be 4 bytes later. Thanks.

The Tool ist very good. But I think it's slow by scrolling to the next Pokémon.

Old July 22nd, 2014 (07:03 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Dragonflye:
I found by Bug. The Pointer must be 4 bytes later. Thanks.

The Tool ist very good. But I think it's slow by scrolling to the next Pokémon.
Just remember how much data it loads each time you scroll It has to load all of the data for the Pokemon, including images. All of the tabs except the Habitat and Egg Move tabs are reloaded every time. I know I am definitely not the most efficient coder so that could also be an issue.

Quote originally posted by Tetra:
http://i.gyazo.com/2bbde5d72bbe2603eb5c7da07c93b775.png
I've been getting this error, and I've been trying to fix it via the function for a long while now, but it doesn't want to work.

It's something to do with the habitat data, right? Any solution to this?
It looks like your habitat table is pointing outside the rom, therefore it can't load a pointer making the string literal nothing. Possibly your table is pointing to free space (FFFFFFFF) which would point outside the rom.

Paired with Simba
Old July 24th, 2014 (06:59 AM).
some loser

I'm having trouble getting this to work with Jambo's 3-byte movepool hack. The .ini I'm using:

Spoiler:
Code:
[0035]
name = Pokemon FireRed (E)
gamecode = BPRE
numberofpokes = 412
pokebasestats = 0x254784
pokebasestatslength = 0x1C
pokenames = 0x245EE0
pokenameslength = 0xB
typenames = 0x24F1A0
typenameslength = 0x7
numberoftypes = 18
items = 0x3DB028
numberofitems = 0x177
itemsdatalength = 0x2C
abilities = 0xC8D370
numberofabilities = 0x100
abiltiesnamelength = 0xD
egggroups = Monster,Water1,Bug,Flying,Field,Fairy,Grass,Human-Like,Water3,Mineral,Amorphous,Water2,Ditto,Dragon,Undiscovered
leveluptypes = Medium-Fast,Erratic,Fluctuating,Medium-Slow,Fast,Slow
learnedmoves = 0x25d7b4
learnedmoveslength = 0x3
attacknames = 0xC82400
numberofattacks = 0x300
attacknamelength = 0xD
eggmovepointer1 = 0x045C50
eggmovepointer2 = 0x045CC8
eggmovelimit = 0x045CC4
tmhmcompatibility = 0x252BC8
tmhmcompatibilitylength = 8
tmlist = 0x45A80C
tmlistentrylength = 2
numberoftms = 50
numberofhms = 8
evolutiontable = 0x259754
evolutionsperpoke = 5
lengthofoneentry = 8
evolutionmethods = Breeding Only,Friendship,Friendship (Day),Friendship (Night),Level-Up,Trade,Trade (Hold Item),Stone,ATK > DEF,ATK = DEF,ATK < DEF,PID (Wurmple->Silcoon),PID (Wurmple->Cascoon),Spawn a Second,Create Spawn,Beauty
evomethodsproperties = None,None,None,None,Level,None,Item,Item,Level,Level,Level,Level,Level,Level,Level,None
evolutiontablepointers = 0x42F6C,0x42FBC,0x43138,0x4599C,0xCE8C4
offsetstochangetolslr0r60x1 = 0x42f9c,0x43182,0x43026,0x43008,0x43016,0x43050,0x4307A,0x430A8,0x430C8,0x430EC,0x430FC
offsetstochangetonewminus1 = 0x43116,0x4319e,0x459A2
theshedinjafix = 0xCE766
changetonewnumbertimes8 = 0x4598A,0x459C0,0x4598E,0x459C2
pokedex = 0x44E850
lengthofpokedexentry = 0x24
nationaldexorder = 0x251FEE
numofnondexpokesbetweencelebiandtreeko = 25
numofnondexpokesafterchimecho = 28
dextype = FRLG
jambo51learnedmovehack = True
movetutorcomp = 0x459B7E
movetutorcomplen = 2
movetutorattacks = 0x459B60
mtattackslen = 2
mtattacksnum = 15
frontspritetable = 0x2350AC
backspritetable = 0x23654C
frontpalettetable = 0x23730C
shinypalettetable = 0x2380cc
enemyytable = 0x2349CC
playerytable = 0x235E6C
enemyaltitudetable = 0x23A004
iconspritetable = 0x3D37A0
iconpalettetable = 0x3D3E80
iconpalettes = 0x3D3740
numiconpalettes = 3
itemanimationtable = 0x45FD54
itemanimationtableentlen = 5
hoenncryauxtable = 0x2539D4
footprints = 0x43FAB0
habitats = 0x452c4c
habitatpointers = 0x106888,0x1068C8,0x106990,0x1069F8,0x106A98
locationnames = 0x3F1CAC
locationstart = 0x58
locationend = 0xC4
locationtblfmt = 1

It's definitely loading this particular entry, as if I change jambo51movehack to False it loads fine, and picks up the repointed ability name table. (This is also the only entry I've added to the ini- it's a fresh download) Setting that to True instead causes G3S to crash when I load the ROM:

It shoudn't be an issue with malformed movepools, as every movepool now points to the same place (xC70000), which contains the exceedingly simple 01 00 01 FF FF FF. (pound at level 1 and nothing else.) I also tried 01 00 01 00 00 FF, which is what Jambo's tutorial suggests (either works in-game), and that still causes a crash.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old July 24th, 2014 (08:29 PM).
Woah dere!

Nature: Sassy
Can someone please teach me how to use this program? I've been trying to figure this out for hours. I downloaded it 3 times and I still can't find an exe file that takes me to the actual program. It's all just text documents and .ini files.
Thanks ahead of time to whoever helps me!
Old July 24th, 2014 (09:51 PM).
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by DimiInOffice:
Can someone please teach me how to use this program? I've been trying to figure this out for hours. I downloaded it 3 times and I still can't find an exe file that takes me to the actual program. It's all just text documents and .ini files.
Thanks ahead of time to whoever helps me!
Erm... After you've extracted the file, double-click the [Red OW] icon?

(note: this is an old file in my office PC. I dunno if the icon has been changed lately.)

3DS FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old July 24th, 2014 (11:41 PM).
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Hey,

I keep getting this error after editing habitats, and attempting to save the tab:

I also get this with some other tasks that involve repointing, such as expanding Pokemon and changing PokeDex entries. This only started happening after I downloaded the update, the previous version still does everything fine. I know it's not my rom, as it does this with clean roms as well.

Any idea on why this is happening? I just want my new Pokes to have proper dex entries. T_T
Old July 25th, 2014 (02:46 AM).

Can anyone tell me why are the evolutions shown wrong in this Suite?

Until today everything good and fine, but today I noticed the evolutions are shown
wrong in the Suite, for example :
Bulbasaur evolves at L32 into Venusaur.
Combusken evolves into Kirlia.
Pikachu evolves at L16 into Niddorino.

Every single Pokemon 's evos are shown wrong but in game they evolve like they should.
I'm also iserting Mega Evolutions into my hack and I set the Pokemon to Mega-evolve at
L50, for example Blaziken. I've put him to evolve at L50 but nothing happens ingame when I get him to this level.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for bad English.
Old July 25th, 2014 (05:15 PM).
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Quote originally posted by George17:
Can anyone tell me why are the evolutions shown wrong in this Suite?

Until today everything good and fine, but today I noticed the evolutions are shown
wrong in the Suite, for example :
Bulbasaur evolves at L32 into Venusaur.
Combusken evolves into Kirlia.
Pikachu evolves at L16 into Niddorino.

Every single Pokemon 's evos are shown wrong but in game they evolve like they should.
I'm also iserting Mega Evolutions into my hack and I set the Pokemon to Mega-evolve at
L50, for example Blaziken. I've put him to evolve at L50 but nothing happens ingame when I get him to this level.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for bad English.
Here's my guess: The offset for your evolution table is off. Probably by like 40 bytes or so? Just open your rom up in a hex editor, go to the offset listed in the ini and find the correct starting position.
Also, the Blaziken thing. You using FR? Do you have a National Dex? If not, Pokemon outside the Kanto Dex won't evolve.
Live Pokedex (Y) Completed as of 02/03/14 (718), 10/11/14 (719)
Live Pokedex (OR) Completed as of 25/12/14 (719)
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Old July 25th, 2014 (10:37 PM).

Quote originally posted by ShyRayq:
Here's my guess: The offset for your evolution table is off. Probably by like 40 bytes or so? Just open your rom up in a hex editor, go to the offset listed in the ini and find the correct starting position.
Also, the Blaziken thing. You using FR? Do you have a National Dex? If not, Pokemon outside the Kanto Dex won't evolve.
I'm not so good at hex editing and I don't know where to find the listed offset and the correct starting
position. And about Blaziken, I've patched my game to be able to evolve without National Dex.
Old July 26th, 2014 (02:22 AM).

I'm not so good at hex editing and I don't know where to find the listed offset and the correct starting
position. And about Blaziken, I've patched my game to be able to evolve without National Dex.
Well, first get a hex editor, most recommended is HxD. Now, go to your ini. Go find your rom's offsets and go to 'evolution table' or something like that. Take that offset, open up your hex editor and do a Ctrl+G and paste it in and enter. Assuming you haven't edited Bulbasaur's evo data, the start should be: 40 00s, then 04 10 02 I believe. Something like that. If there's no 40 00s before the 041002, just start at the 041002.

Now the Blaziken thing, are you sure you have? Just double check with other pokemon outside the Kanto Dex. If they evo, then..I'm not too sure.

Old July 26th, 2014 (03:08 AM).

Nature: Calm
Every time i save it crashes D:
Old July 26th, 2014 (04:24 AM).

Hi
So I'm starting to get into Rom hacking and am trying to use MrDollSteak's base using G3HS
I've already changed BPRE to MrDS but when I try to open it I keep getting these errors:

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.
Old July 26th, 2014 (05:55 AM). Edited July 26th, 2014 by George17.

Well, first get a hex editor, most recommended is HxD. Now, go to your ini. Go find your rom's offsets and go to 'evolution table' or something like that. Take that offset, open up your hex editor and do a Ctrl+G and paste it in and enter. Assuming you haven't edited Bulbasaur's evo data, the start should be: 40 00s, then 04 10 02 I believe. Something like that. If there's no 40 00s before the 041002, just start at the 041002.

Now the Blaziken thing, are you sure you have? Just double check with other pokemon outside the Kanto Dex. If they evo, then..I'm not too sure.
Ok. I have HxD in my computer but there's still one more thing I don't understand. Where can i find that
ini- the one I should find the evolution table offset in?

Like I said before, I'm just a beginner when it comes to hex. And of course that I patched my game in order to access National evolutions: I've tested it multiple times in the game and it works fine.

Sorry for bad English, again.

And also, how should 0x..... look in HxD?
Old July 26th, 2014 (06:24 AM).
Hack'in as usual, it seem.

Ok. I have HxD in my computer but there's still one more thing I don't understand. Where can i find that
ini- the one I should find the evolution table offset in?

Like I said before, I'm just a beginner when it comes to hex. And of course that I patched my game in order to access National evolutions: I've tested it multiple times in the game and it works fine.

Sorry for bad English, again.

And also, how should 0x..... look in HxD?
Look for the file in "PokeRoms.ini" It should be in the same folder as G3HS. Also before searching, I recommend opening up your rom in HXD, go all way to the bottom, like the last offset, and look at the last two byte. It should tell you the number that correspond to your INI. For example, if it said 00 01, then on the PokeRoms.ini file, when checking for your ini, it should correspond to the number 00 01.
Old July 26th, 2014 (08:34 AM).

I just found the update and I'm using it now, but I noticed one glitch that I'm still seeing for the new one. Sometimes, changes I make to movesets bleed over. For example, I just expanded Beedrill's movepool to include Night Slash at level 49. I then went to the Pidgey line to give it more wind-and-weather based moves. After expanding Pidgeotto's moves and adding a couple, I went back to Pidgey to check where exactly I had put the other moves. And I found Tackle had been replaced with Night Slash at level 49. I've seen this happen a few times - it's always the first move on the list being replaced by something I'd added previously to a different Pokemon.

I also just discovered that my VBA is buggered to all hell, and I don't know what I did/how to fix it. It worked well the last time I used it (nearly a month ago - been doing more Pokemon Zeta than hacks or hacking). And today, all I did was (1) Apply the MrDollsteak patch to a clean ROM, to start something new. (2) Change the ini in HxD. (3) Open it in the new G3HS. (4) Tweak the starters through Raticate lines. (5) Go back to HxD and change one bit to fix the Attack boost glitch in the MrDS rombase. Now what's wrong is that my joystick is set to all F12. When I go to edit the joystick, I briefly see what it ought to be, but then it flashes to all F12, and I can't change them. This is weird enough that I'm skeptical it's anything I did this morning/related to G3HS, but just in case....
I'm currently teaching myself about ROM hacking to make my first hack. It stars a lab aide whose professor was kidnapped to help make Mewtwo. The same team also wants the aide's Kabuto(ps) to upgrade into a Genesect. Dark Fakemon evolutions and hybrids will also play a central role to the villainous Team Helix. Currently I'm fairly confident with YAPE and AdvanceMap. In a few weeks I'm likely to start putting a team together. I suck at spriting, and I can't understand the scripting tutorials.
Old July 26th, 2014 (09:20 AM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Darkrai Lv.1000:
Hey,

I keep getting this error after editing habitats, and attempting to save the tab:

I also get this with some other tasks that involve repointing, such as expanding Pokemon and changing PokeDex entries. This only started happening after I downloaded the update, the previous version still does everything fine. I know it's not my rom, as it does this with clean roms as well.

Any idea on why this is happening? I just want my new Pokes to have proper dex entries. T_T
You are using XP, right? The previous version was compiled on XP but this version was compiled on Windows 7. I had to upgrade my graphics library from v2.8 to v3.0. v3.0 didn't run on XP but it does on 7 so this may be the issue. I'm not 100% sure. I would really recommend upgrading your windows at this point since XP is no longer supported by microsoft and is getting increasingly vulnerable each day. I was forced to upgrade when my computer died and I bought a new one.

Paired with Simba
Old July 26th, 2014 (10:52 AM).

Quote originally posted by DuoRyan:
Look for the file in "PokeRoms.ini" It should be in the same folder as G3HS. Also before searching, I recommend opening up your rom in HXD, go all way to the bottom, like the last offset, and look at the last two byte. It should tell you the number that correspond to your INI. For example, if it said 00 01, then on the PokeRoms.ini file, when checking for your ini, it should correspond to the number 00 01.
OK. I've checked the game and it's version 00 02. But I've looked in the pokeroms.ini file and there are
more than one single value for evolution table, like this:

evolutiontable = 0x79dfc8

Which one of those offsets is the one I need?
Old July 26th, 2014 (11:32 AM).

OK. I've checked the game and it's version 00 02. But I've looked in the pokeroms.ini file and there are
more than one single value for evolution table, like this:

evolutiontable = 0x79dfc8

Which one of those offsets is the one I need?
The first one as the table pointer are basically offsets in which it has the first offset as a pointer. (I know, kind of confusing)
Old July 26th, 2014 (11:39 AM).

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
You are using XP, right? The previous version was compiled on XP but this version was compiled on Windows 7. I had to upgrade my graphics library from v2.8 to v3.0. v3.0 didn't run on XP but it does on 7 so this may be the issue. I'm not 100% sure. I would really recommend upgrading your windows at this point since XP is no longer supported by microsoft and is getting increasingly vulnerable each day. I was forced to upgrade when my computer died and I bought a new one.
Ah, that could be it! And as it turns out, I do have the 7 upgrade sitting on my desktop, so I'll just go ahead and do it. I'll come back to confirm if everything's alright. Thanks for replying man.
Old July 26th, 2014 (03:54 PM).

Quote originally posted by Ambushwhack:
I just found the update and I'm using it now, but I noticed one glitch that I'm still seeing for the new one. Sometimes, changes I make to movesets bleed over. For example, I just expanded Beedrill's movepool to include Night Slash at level 49. I then went to the Pidgey line to give it more wind-and-weather based moves. After expanding Pidgeotto's moves and adding a couple, I went back to Pidgey to check where exactly I had put the other moves. And I found Tackle had been replaced with Night Slash at level 49. I've seen this happen a few times - it's always the first move on the list being replaced by something I'd added previously to a different Pokemon.

I also just discovered that my VBA is buggered to all hell, and I don't know what I did/how to fix it. It worked well the last time I used it (nearly a month ago - been doing more Pokemon Zeta than hacks or hacking). And today, all I did was (1) Apply the MrDollsteak patch to a clean ROM, to start something new. (2) Change the ini in HxD. (3) Open it in the new G3HS. (4) Tweak the starters through Raticate lines. (5) Go back to HxD and change one bit to fix the Attack boost glitch in the MrDS rombase. Now what's wrong is that my joystick is set to all F12. When I go to edit the joystick, I briefly see what it ought to be, but then it flashes to all F12, and I can't change them. This is weird enough that I'm skeptical it's anything I did this morning/related to G3HS, but just in case....
The 1st thing says that you apparently, didn't repoint, in this case, Beedrill's moveset, merely expanded it. By expanding it, you go into the next Pokemon's moveset, so you need to repoint it.

The 2nd thing...I'm not sure. Maybe just redo everything, or maybe your VBA is screwed up. Just remember to triple check everything. Anything can happen.

Old July 26th, 2014 (05:24 PM).

A little pointer(lol) for people who having trouble, make sure to create a lot of backup, cause you never know what could go wrong. ALSO, make sure in-game to check to see if the national pokedex is running cause, some people, including me, had had the problem where after expanding, the national pokedex just died. So yeah, remember to do these thing and I'm pretty sure you have little to no problem.
Old July 26th, 2014 (06:06 PM).

The 1st thing says that you apparently, didn't repoint, in this case, Beedrill's moveset, merely expanded it. By expanding it, you go into the next Pokemon's moveset, so you need to repoint it.

The 2nd thing...I'm not sure. Maybe just redo everything, or maybe your VBA is screwed up. Just remember to triple check everything. Anything can happen.
Thanks. I was sure I repointed, but it was easy enough to fix every time.
I'm currently teaching myself about ROM hacking to make my first hack. It stars a lab aide whose professor was kidnapped to help make Mewtwo. The same team also wants the aide's Kabuto(ps) to upgrade into a Genesect. Dark Fakemon evolutions and hybrids will also play a central role to the villainous Team Helix. Currently I'm fairly confident with YAPE and AdvanceMap. In a few weeks I'm likely to start putting a team together. I suck at spriting, and I can't understand the scripting tutorials.
Old July 26th, 2014 (07:08 PM).

I love the evolution changes i can finally change trade evolution to something better! :D
Old July 27th, 2014 (12:36 AM).

After upgrading to Windows 7 I can confirm that XP was the issue, and everything works as intended now. xD
Old July 28th, 2014 (02:28 PM). Edited July 28th, 2014 by Pokegarchomp.

Upon starting the program, I am met with the error "failed to load image from file 'resources/icon.png'" Any Idea what could be going on there? I am on a Mac, if that helps.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links