Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page [Developing] Pokémon Chronicles: Battle of Past.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old August 18th, 2014 (09:23 AM). Edited October 15th, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mustafa505 Send a message via Yahoo to mustafa505
Pokémon Chronicles: Battle of Past

Introduction

A project based on Pokémon Essentials, with a new region and two different starting stories for male and female characters, with some of the legendary Pokémons and all the others(events) Pokémons as-well in Pokémon: Battle of Past, the idea is to have two different way of completing the game (by choosing you gender) , if your'e a boy the game starts at one place but if you choose girl it starts at different place though both will have same type of "alternate" ending.

The Zoyan Region!

A region en-closed by a barrier which hides it from the whole world, due to an cataclysmic event, the people of Zoyan where forced to hide themselves, as something very powerful dwells within the land, a threat for the ones outside in the world.

Story:
I dont want to spoil all the adventure which will happen in the game, but i will start with the history... :D

History of Zoyan

Spoiler:

1) Shipwreck of Titan.
Out in the pacific a ship set on sail, got caught in a storm and was wrecked, it could float but couldn't be set for sail anymore, it was destined to keep floating near the land of Zoyan, but people in the ship didn't notice the land as there were fog in the sight.

2) People of the ship.
There were 3 groups of people in ship:
1st group from a kingdom,
2nd group from another kingdom,
3rd group of riots/mutineers who had snick in the ship,
As the supply of food was getting less, a group of mutineers took control of the ship and made the 1st and 2nd group obey them, the mutineers enjoyed the food and made the 1st and 2nd group starve, the 1st group couldn't stand the injustice and one night took some boats and escaped the ship without anyone knowing.

3) Arrival at the coast-line.
They had reached Zoyan at daytime, and where thankful they found land and discovered the region was populated with not only humans and some mystical beings which are now known as Pokémons. The second group got worried of how the 1st group disappeared, but they soon discovered a coast-line, but they kept it a secret from the riots, inorder to escape the ship without the riots knowing about the coast-lien the 2nd group starting a fight with the riots but loosing to them, then the leader of riots would cast-out the 2nd group, and they were sent out in small boats to die in the boats, somehow the 2nd group reached the coast and rendezvous with the 1st group, but soon the riots would find out about the coast-line, and their leader would become angry of how they were fooled and left to die in the ocean, the riots made a cunning plan and landed on the opposite coastline to where the 1st and 2nd group had landed, and took control of that part of the land, and soon it would become an empire with the pokemon turning bad.

4) The rulers of Zoyan.
Zoyan had a typical tribal ruling system, and the elders would visit the whole region once a year and would have sub-groups to rule that particular lands, but they couldn't contact each other due to lack of technology, but as the arrival of the 1st and 2nd group, their peacefulness were welcomed by the Zoyan elders, the 1st and 2nd group had scientist and literature's who would soon contribute for development of Zoyan.

5) The war.
One year had passed and half of Zoyan was developed with medival-modern technology and war knowledge and well awareness of the outside world, one day a couple of people came in a harsh conditions to the elders, they came from the part where the riots have taken rule and told the elders that an empire was built and it was slowly taking over all Zoyan, soon a war took place, both humans and pokemon fighting and finally the natives won and the riots were exiled into a small island near the region.

6) A New Age.
A new age had come to Zoyan, it resembled a leading country than a tribal region, but the 1st and the 2nd group discovered something deep in the ruins of the Gods (which the natives called), the found a stone, but they had sealed it back, the stone had some sick and very powerful aura, upon testing it destroyed a part of the region and hence it was sealed. The elders then made barriers with the help of the 2nd group so Zoyan would never be exposed to outside world, they kept Zoyan away because of its hidden powers, and only future would know when the people of Zoyan could contact the 'outside' world.

7) A way to be aware of outside world

The elders with help of 1st group made a plan that would keep Zoyan be aware of the new things in outside world without the world knowing the existence of Zoyan, they called it "Zoyan Corps." as a company name which would trade material with different region without recalling their source.
And till now Zoyan was still getting developed without having contact with outside world.

Current Story

NOTE: More in-depth story will be posted soon!
The game begins before the events of Pokemon Red, but after the event of Giovanni loosing his child.
At the borders of Zoyan a mysterious hooded-person creates a hole on the barriers and attracts a small ship which was bound to somehwere else, the passengers of the ship were the members of Team Rocket ,the mysterious person welcomes the shocked troop and offers them a deal, soon members of TR start knowing more about Zoyan then they find about the Pokémon Celebi (which was resting in this region till some point before the start of Pokémon Red), Team Rocket boss who wants to use Celebi for some reason orders full infiltration of Team Rocket in the region,
Giovanni sends his troops through the blind spot and they start their evil scheme in Berrycove City (north to Oister Town), before arriving the city they take out their Pokémon (Houndour) to block the passage towards the city, this is where the protagonist are attacked by them, but luckily they find Pokémon to defend themselves.

The Team of Protagonist:

I will be quick here too for the time being, and update their details soon!
The Male Protagonist (Default name: Orange)
When choosing your gender as a boy, the story starts at Oister Town, a town present on bottom right of the region and has a sea port (Oister port), the hero comes from rich family, your mother does not want you to be Pokemon trainer, but you start off escaping your home with your cousin (Default name:Brown) (you have to name him) with a package from your grandmother to Berrycove forest where you will meet your opposite gender and some Pokémon will attack, and the package falls from your bag, and then there are three Pokéballs in them, and its the first Pokémon battle with the starter you have selected, and then you decide to let them keep the Pokémon they used.

The Cousin(Default Name:Brown)
Spoiler:

At first you have to name him or his default name will be Brown, so basically Brown will be with you in half of the adventure, he has a caring-shy personality, the male protagonist and Brown even share the same bloodline.

The Female Protagonist (Default name: Violet)
Spoiler:

When you choose to be girl it is a little bit "Hard-mode" at the starting then it becomes normal as the game continues, when being the girl you start off on an island (not named yet, will be updated) which to the right off Oister Town, you parent have allowed you to be a Pokemon trainer in this scenario (yay!) your rival will be the male counterpart and you get your starter from him.

The friend(Default name: Bisque)
She is the female counterpart of the cousin, she will also be with the female protagonist half of the journey like him, she is caring and tom-boyish in nature.

Game Features
  • -Totally new custom graphics
  • -Two different adventure beginnings
  • -A new type of OW base!
  • -A unique PokéGear
  • -Not a 10 year ol' getting a Pokémon/dex from Prof. Game
  • -Motor Cycle Race -(Planned mini-game)
  • -Surf n Turf -(Mini-game)
  • -A unique GUI
  • -Interesting side-quest with great rewards
  • -Hopefully Wi-Fi Events (Not sure, but i had a dream!)
  • -Pokémon from all 4-5-6 Gen (some will be not there)
  • -3 new starters (Happiny, Pichu Azurill)
  • -New types for Pokémon
  • -Special Mutated Mega Evolutions (Evolution messed-up)
  • -Essentials provided features.

Here are some screenshots, though none of them may prove to be final version.

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Oister Town:

Gateway (New style)

Route 1 :

Berrycove Forest:

Berrycove City:

Electric-stone Cave:

PokéCenter:

Support Bars

Here are some support bars, put them in your signature if u want to support my game.
Style 1
Spoiler:

Code:
[*URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334173"][IMG*]http://i57.tinypic.com/1z4ke4h.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
NOTE: Remove * from the code for it to work

Style 2
Spoiler:

Code:
[*URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334173"][*IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/35l93qu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/code]

Style 3
Spoiler:

Code:
[*URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334173"][*IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/26474vc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Credits:

• Pokémon Essentials
  • FL
  • WesleyFG
  • Pokemon-Diamond
  • Red-ex
  • Zetaverse
  • Chimcharfireworks
  • Kymotonian
  • ChaoticCherryCake
  • Xdinky
  • PeekyChew
  • Hydrargirium
  • ThegreatBliad
  • Princelegendario
  • Alucusofborg
  • Yani Kurai
  • ShawnFrost
  • Maruno
  • Koder
  • Zeo
  • Seiyouh
  • Kod
  • Kyledove
  • RedGyarados
  • LinktheHero2
  • Venom12
  • Carmaniacs
  • RyanBlast
  • Wildrandomness
  • Minorthreat87
  • Flameguru
  • Pia Carrot
  • Help-14
  • Luka S.G
  • Macklemaze
  • Zingzags
  • Poccil
  • Crazyninjaguy
  • CarnivalOpps
  • TheMarkCrafter

And more to list..
If i missed someone please tell me i will add them.
Old August 20th, 2014 (09:54 AM). Edited October 11th, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mustafa505 Send a message via Yahoo to mustafa505
Small Update

New Team Rocket OW done by me,

And also testing PokeMart Tiles, How do they look? (PokeCenter tiles are placeholders.)

NOTE: PokeMart and PokeCenter are in one building like B/W
Old August 22nd, 2014 (10:27 PM).
Pegasus Knight

Nature: Hardy
This looks fairly good for a start up project. I'm really liking the history about your game the most. It's creative. One thing I'd try and work on is grammar. I'm not saying it's bad, but when you release the game and it turns out to be a constant problem people won't like it.

“Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”
Old August 22nd, 2014 (10:53 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Yeah my English is not so good :D , i hope to get help from a grammar nazi :D

EDIT:
Here is a concept of how the menu will look in the game:
Old August 23rd, 2014 (08:21 AM).
Turn off the heat, I'm trying to keep my cool
Silver Tier

This looks really good. I really like those see-through pokeballs. Menu looks great, and the OW's look really good too. Letting the story be different per gender is maybe not a smart choice. Maybe let the player choose one of the starting stories?
Old August 23rd, 2014 (08:24 AM). Edited September 23rd, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Some new screens and maps :

Half of Route 1
Spoiler:

The other half
Spoiler:

Quote originally posted by MorallyIncorrect:
This looks really good. I really like those see-through pokeballs. Menu looks great, and the OW's look really good too. Letting the story be different per gender is maybe not a smart choice. Maybe let the player choose one of the starting stories?

Well the concept is to enjoy the game in two different journeys so if the gender is same it would be rather boring, but i'll consider your point if everyone feels the same, and the story remains same but with different gender you get separate special events making their journey different.
Old August 23rd, 2014 (09:00 AM).
Turn off the heat, I'm trying to keep my cool
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by mustafa505:
Well the concept is to enjoy the game in two different journeys so if the gender is same it would be rather boring, but i'll consider your point if everyone feels the same, and the story remains same but with different gender you get separate special events making their journey different.
Well, gender shouldn't be the defining trait, right? Being of specific gender shouldn't dictate what happens to you. Although I confess that's overly political correct statement for a fangame, haha.
Old August 23rd, 2014 (09:12 AM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
It's a very interesting, and intruging concept to have a different story based on gender. What may be a more straight forward approach, yet still what you want, is have the chracters be actual people in the game, IE, what R,S,E did, but better. Have one Main story, with 2 arcs in it, one where the Male is doing something, but at the same time, the female is off doing her own thing. It would make sense chronologically speaking, as you are playing as each character, and the opposite gender character would be off doing their own thing while you are doing your own thing. The problem that lies in that would be the player getting lost in the story, and not connecting to the player character.

But rather than having 2 different stories, it would be very interesting to see a game with 1 story, but two sides of it, if you will.

Just a thought.

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old August 23rd, 2014 (09:33 PM). Edited September 23rd, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Quote originally posted by Saving Raven:
It's a very interesting, and intruging concept to have a different story based on gender. What may be a more straight forward approach, yet still what you want, is have the chracters be actual people in the game, IE, what R,S,E did, but better. Have one Main story, with 2 arcs in it, one where the Male is doing something, but at the same time, the female is off doing her own thing. It would make sense chronologically speaking, as you are playing as each character, and the opposite gender character would be off doing their own thing while you are doing your own thing. The problem that lies in that would be the player getting lost in the story, and not connecting to the player character.

But rather than having 2 different stories, it would be very interesting to see a game with 1 story, but two sides of it, if you will.

Just a thought.
Yep, its experiencing two sides of a one great adventure
Old August 24th, 2014 (08:57 AM).
THE Chimchar Tamer

Nature: Bold
Well I love the history part. The only thing is I agree with the above comments. I feel that you should maybe have something like a question to decide where you start as oppose to gender. It doesn't really bother me because I would just replay as a female but I know it would bother other people.

If you need it I may not be the best but I could help with the grammar some. At least temporarily. If you pm me we can talk about it more.

Experience the Journey Here

Thank you Yet Another Logical Nerd for the avatar!
Old August 24th, 2014 (09:27 AM). Edited September 23rd, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Quote originally posted by Infernal Desires:
Well I love the history part. The only thing is I agree with the above comments. I feel that you should maybe have something like a question to decide where you start as oppose to gender. It doesn't really bother me because I would just replay as a female but I know it would bother other people.

If you need it I may not be the best but I could help with the grammar some. At least temporarily. If you pm me we can talk about it more.
Its easier said than done, making choices where to start the game for each requires many switches and it maybe not possible to have a neat story-line by doing that
Old September 9th, 2014 (07:57 AM). Edited September 23rd, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Okay its been a week since i posted an update, its because i was working on this battle background and boxes (Its watermarked 'cuz i don't want anyone using them, lots of scratch-work to complete it):
Credits to WesleyFG for some of the grasses, the rest is made by me.
Also a preview to how the school will look (Don't steal! I'll cook you and feed them pokemons if u dare!)
Spoiler:

Credits to Seiyouh and Zeo for tiles but i edited them so they are mine not for public use.
EDIT:
A more bolder look at the male protagonist: (also showing how much i suck at spriting fire)
Again credits to Seiyouh for palletes.
Old September 23rd, 2014 (02:13 AM).
I liekz Dedez :D
Gold Tier

Nature: Brave
Wow i must say nice game i really like the custom sprites and the history is so cool i cant wait for the story ive always liked a new region cause it gives u a fresh start. I dont agree with the dual story with the same gender ive seen other games where there is 2 stories and theres usually 2 males and 2 females 1 make and 1 female follow each story. What would be cool though if u really like the different story is have them meat at the end some kinda of interaction(Of coarse battle) keep up the great work and let me know if u need any advice I'll be sure to watch this thread
Old September 23rd, 2014 (03:04 AM). Edited September 23rd, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Quote originally posted by Dedenne1:
Wow i must say nice game i really like the custom sprites and the history is so cool i cant wait for the story ive always liked a new region cause it gives u a fresh start. I dont agree with the dual story with the same gender ive seen other games where there is 2 stories and theres usually 2 males and 2 females 1 make and 1 female follow each story.
Well lots of people have misunderstood this part, the story in one, but with two sides of experiencing it with the genders, not much difference between both of these story arcs and the ending would be connected

Quote:
What would be cool though if u really like the different story is have them meet at the end some kinda of interaction(Of coarse battle) keep up the great work and let me know if u need any advice I'll be sure to watch this thread

That is what i am planning to do, not really a battle though. But thanks for your feedback

Also a preview of Pokemon Center (Nurse OW not done yet T.T, not an actual map)
Old September 23rd, 2014 (10:33 AM).
Developer

Another small Update:
Bubble Speech Boxes! Not exactly like B/W, but more sweet!)

Credits to Carmaniac!
Its gonna be Semi Transparent soon!
Old September 23rd, 2014 (12:33 PM).
Gold Tier

Wow nice pokemon center thats what i love about custom made graphics they alway look better!
Old September 24th, 2014 (07:39 AM). Edited September 26th, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Wow nice pokemon center thats what i love about custom made graphics they alway look better!
Thanks, i hope the tiles will match with the OW's :/
Anyways Speech-Bubble System is wrapped :

I know it has grammar mistakes, but walah! Its just a preview!
Also it would be great if someone could help me sprite the OW's and battle sprites of trainers, PM me if you're interested!
Old September 26th, 2014 (02:20 AM).
Gold Tier

wow the bubble text looks great I like it a lot and nice sprites btw
Old September 28th, 2014 (01:14 PM).
Admón

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Drimer
I wanna see more of ur game, u have done a great job with that bubble speech boxes. <3
Old September 28th, 2014 (05:58 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Drimer:
I wanna see more of ur game, u have done a great job with that bubble speech boxes. <3
Ik i cant wait for the demo

Btw for the names if u havent come up with any maybe lily and T.J. I like the abbreviation and if u dont like lily maybe hmmmm Taylor, Melanie, April! Any of those would work just brain storming.
Old September 28th, 2014 (11:45 PM). Edited October 4th, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Ik i cant wait for the demo

Btw for the names if u havent come up with any maybe lily and T.J. I like the abbreviation and if u dont like lily maybe hmmmm Taylor, Melanie, April! Any of those would work just brain storming.

Ahh yes for the female protagonist and her friend, i have decided to name the protagonist Violet and her friend name Bisque (Dunno if you can name a girl Bisque), I will consider the names you gave for Gym leaders and important side-characters, Thanks!

Until then here is another preview (On what i am working on):

I will add the shadows to houses and buildings before releasing a demo, because editing in Paint.net is nightmare.

...and i can't possibly promise when i can release a demo, as there is lots of work to be done, starting from spriting to scripting GUI, bugs, fast-paced battle interface, custom tiles, and also because i am using custom OW's which does not have any pre-made sprites of any trainers belonging to that base, so i am spriting all of them from scratch.
Old October 1st, 2014 (02:26 AM).
Gold Tier

Oh ya i understand completely but im good with waiting haha also yes i what to hear the history of zoyan im a boy and id like to begin yay! Haha also if u need a beta tester I'll be happy to do so when the demo comes out im guessing in a couple months
Old October 3rd, 2014 (02:11 AM). Edited October 11th, 2014 by mustafa505.
Developer

Oh ya i understand completely but im good with waiting haha also yes i what to hear the history of zoyan im a boy and id like to begin yay! Haha also if u need a beta tester I'll be happy to do so when the demo comes out im guessing in a couple months
I am hoping next month for a small demo, but the progress is quite slow, here is the final version of gateway tiles,
A mix of DP-HGSS, B/W and some custom twist by me :

Minor updates may still apply on these.
Tiles are made by using multiple public tiles, whose creators are credited in OP! (So, please don't steal!)
As for the gap between the map, it is a room for the guard.
Old October 4th, 2014 (06:34 PM).
Gold Tier

Could u post the code for ur support banner? For some reason it only shows a question mark but others work so if i can just insert the code ill spread the.word
Old October 4th, 2014 (10:02 PM).

Looking good. Loving the tiles. Especially the HG/SS grass. My favorite. And a lot of the technical aspects (like the battle system) look well done. Good job!

My question is: Do the three starters evolve by level now, seeing as one require a held item and the other happiness?

Other than that, I'll try and make sure to beta test for grammar and whatnot when the demo comes out. Take your time. This could be a really awesome game. Already looks like it. Just don't get discouraged!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links