• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Mono-Color Challenge

Years
  • Age 105
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
Never done a monocolor before, I'll give it a shot.

Name: Fristi61
Color: Brown
Game: Fire red
Ultimate: No

EDIT: Done!
Spoiler:

Pokemon used:

Spoiler:

Pretty much winged it (turns out there's a lot of brown pokemon!) and steamrolled all the gym leaders but when I made it to the elite 4 I realized I had actually made a lot of mistakes. Ah well, I'll plan more carefully next time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 17, 2016
Username: Shiisaa
Color: Red
Game: FireRed > HeartGold > Emerald > Platinum > Black > X
Ultimate: Yes

I'm starting with FireRed, but I don't think I will be going in order.

EDIT: Done with FireRed, onto Emerald!
Spoiler:

EDIT 2: Done with Emerald! Quick break, then onwards to HeartGold
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
So hey, I did a thing. That thing mostly being abandoning my HeartGold run for my Blue Ultimate, and replaced with a Crystal run that I completed in one day. Hooray!

Ultimate Blue Monocolor Challenge (Crystal) First and FINAL Update

The Red fight wasn't pretty, but the 20 minutes it took to do is significantly less than the time it would take to grind up

Videos of First Round Elite Four (timestamps in descrption) and the Red fight:

Spoiler:

Team:

160.gif

Investigtr the Feraligatr, Lv. 52
-Strength
-DynamicPunch
-Ice Punch
-Surf

31.gif

Queensmoot the Nidoqueen, Lv. 52
-Earthquake
-Strength
-Shadow Ball
-Fire Punch

171.gif

Tonberry the Lanturn, Lv. 56
-Spark
-Confuse Ray
-Surf
-Thunder Wave

230.gif

Asha the Kingdra, Lv. 52
-Surf
-Dragonbreath
-Return
-Smokescreen

114.gif

Pigpen the Tangela, Lv. 50
-Mega Drain
-SleepPowder
-Confusion
-Solarbeam

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 17, 2016
Update - HeartGold Mono Red

Done with HeartGold! I breezed through the game until I reached Mt. Silver. Took me nearly a week just to grind my party high enough to not get one shot by Red. Anyways, here are the results!

Spoiler:

I tried using different 'Mons from my Emerald/FireRed run, but I'm kind of limited in variety (especially Electric types....) so I used what I could. Gonna finish up my mono dragon run on my X, then will be starting Mono Red on Platinum!

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Last update for Brown on Y!

♦ Fished up Dracaena the Skrelp in Cyllage, and then continued south of Coumarine to the Lumiose Badlands.
♦ Entered the Flare hideout after snagging the Power Plant Pass, and defeated Aliana at the end.
♦ Once in Lumiose, I challenged the gym, and soloed Clemont with Banyan.
♦ Continuing onto Laverre, I went through the marsh on Route 14 and battled two my rivals.
♦ Once arrived, I challenged the gym. Valerie required a team effort, but was no huge match.
♦ Afterwards, I raided the Poké Ball Factory after having found out that Team Flare was there. Celosia and Bryony were easy to defeat.
♦ Having that out of the way, my next destination was Dendemille Town. Arriving there required me to go through Route 15 and battle some trainers, which is what I did.
♦ I also cleared Route 16, and caught my final team member, Ginkgo the Phantump. I then headed to Frost Cavern.
♦ At the very end, I battled Team Flare grunts and Mable, who was taken care of easily by Butternut.
♦ Arriving in Anistar City, I battled my rival, and challenged the gym. Olympia didn't stand much of a chance against my team, since I had a lot of Pokémon who could deal super effective damage against Psychic-types.
♦ Following the gym battle, I got word of Team Flare being up to no good. I took my rival's advice and went to Lysandre's Café in Lumiose, only to find out that it was actually a super secret HQ all along! Gasp!
♦ Once inside, I battled a bunch of grunts, along with Lysander, Aliana, Celosia, Bryony and Mable. In the depths of the dungeon, I found AZ and Lysander, and battled Xerosic. After our battle, I semi-unknowingly triggered the weapon of destruction to appear in Geosenge Town.
♦ Having done that, I exited the hideout and went there immediately.
♦ In there, I battled Lysander once more, and then descended deeper down, battling admins and grunts along the way.
♦ In the very final chamber, I battled 4 more people and had one last showdown with Lysandre, and then caught Yveltal.
♦ I continued my normal adventure, going through Route 18 and Terminus Cave before reaching Couriway Town, where I battled Professor Sycamore.
♦ Went on to Snowbelle City, beat the gym leader, and then ended up at the Pokémon League after hiking through Victory Road.
♦ Wikstrom, Siebold and Drasna all required a team effort, while Butternut single-handedly swept Malva.
♦ Diantha put up a bit of a fight, but she eventually went down thanks to my team.
♦ AZ was no real threat, Kapok and Butternut took care of him.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

I'm thinking my next color will be gray or white, also on Y.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Xander's Pokemon Challenges

Pokemon Blue ( Green Monocolor Chalenge )

My Badges: 0/8

My Team:

Bulbasaur Lv. 9
Metapod Lv. 7

Completed Challenges

None Yet

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Xander's Pokemon Challenges

Pokemon Blue ( Green Monocolor )

My Badges: 1/8

My Team:

Ivysaur Lv. 19
Metapod Lv. 11

Completed Challenges:

None Yet

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
I did a Fire Red "Red" Monocolor a year back and I'm giving the team that was after the E4.
Spoiler:

This is my Leaf Green "Blue" Monocolor I just finished real quick
Spoiler:

Honestly, in the run above, Tangela wasn't much use outside of regular trainer battles. In the e4 it just kidna died every time it was sent out.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Username: Ahri
Game: Omega Ruby
Colour: White

Years
UPDATE FIRE RED
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

UPDATE OMEGA RUBY
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

UPDATE 18th March Fire Red
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
It took way longer to get around to finishing Emerald than I thought it was going to. My last update in this thread was in November 2014!!!

Update on Ultimate Purple Monocolor Challenge.

Final Update (#1) on Emerald.

• This game was a little bit of a slog - some Pokémon I chose aren't that good stat-wise, until I was able to get Ruby the Starmie after badge 7.
  • Ruby was the MVP of the Elite Four, since it basically soloed Glacia and took down most of Drake's dragons. Shoutout to Jewel the Sableye for soloing Pheobe's ghosts.
  • Wallace was very tough since my team was 5-7 levels under his team. Ruby and Psypork the Grumpig did most of the heavy lifting, and I had to heal once to win.
  • Here's the video and play-by-play of the Wallace fight:

Video:
    Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
ultpurplehoennhof.png
ultpurplehoennchamp.png

Team Violet:
317.gif

Toxi the Bashful Swalot, ♀ - L50 @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Rollout, Body Slam, Yawn
Final Stats: 181/105/98/94/110/71
Hoenn co-MVP
302.gif

Jewel the Lonely Sableye, ♀ - L51 @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Shadow Ball, Dig, Faint Attack, Confuse Ray
Final Stats: 132/114/82/86/83/83
Hoenn co-MVP
169.gif

Countess the Hardy Crobat, ♀ - L50 @ Focus Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Fly, Poison Fang, Steel Wing, Confuse Ray
Final Stats: 172/125/93/88/91/156
301.gif

Swiper the Mild Delcatty, ♂ - L50 @ Magnet
Ability: Magnet
Moves: Return, Faint Attack, Thunderbolt, Water Pulse
Final Stats: 151/79/80/95/74/95
121.gif

Amethyst the Serious Starmie - L52 @ Sitrus Berry (poof!)
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: Surf, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Ice Beam
Final Stats: 141/92/111/139/107/145
Elite Four MVP, Wallace co-MVP
326.gif

Psypork the Bashful Grumpig, ♂ - L51 @ Sitrus Berry (poof!)
Ability: Own Tempo
Moves: Psychic, Calm Mind, Shock Wave, Confuse Ray
Final Stats: 169/63/83/122/125/110
Wallace co-MVP

Edit: The OP has been updated with all the champions up to this point! Congrats to Chevitle to being the first Ultimate Champion through Gen VI on Red and Brown!

Also, the Exp. Share has been unbanned for use in Gen VI games.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Pokemon Red Monotype Update

Badges Obtained:
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Toxic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png

Pokemon Team:

Spr_5b_551.png

Sandy, the Sandile♀
Level 26
Ability: Moxie
Sand-Attack, Dig, Return & Assurance

Spr_5b_544.png

Dotty, the Whirlipede♀
Level 25
Ability: Poison point
Bug Bite, Rollout, Poison Tail & Screech

Spr_5b2_499.png

Babe, the Pignite♂
Level 25
Ability: Blaze
Return, Work Up, Flame Charge & Rollout​

Sandy is giving me a lot of trouble. She can't tank much attacks and she doesn't do much damage unless she's against a Pokemon that is weak against ground type attacks. Luckily she's showing what she's made off in the Nimbasa Gym :)

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Username: Lynda
Colour: White
Game: Gold

I had a question regarding a trading situation. In Pokemon Gold the only legitimate way to obtain the Psych Up TM is to trade an Abra or Kadabra from Red/Blue into Gold. The Abra or Kadabra will be holding the Psych Up TM.

Since I'm limited to only Butterfree and Togetic for most of the game, I was thinking of trying out a strategy involving Swagger and Psych Up on Togetic. The problem is that the only legitimate way to teach Togetic Psych Up in Generation II involves a trade. I feel like this is an unusual enough situation where it should be okay, since it's the only way you're capable of getting that TM. Unlike other item trades where you'd be giving yourself an early unfair advantage, this is the intended way to get this item, and it's even locked off from you until the Time Capsule event in Ecruteak. That gives the Psych Up TM a specific time and location in the game where you can obtain it, just like any other item in the game.

With all of that said, would I be allowed to trade an Abra from Red to get the Psych Up TM in Gold?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Purple Monocolor Challenge

With all of that said, would I be allowed to trade an Abra from Red to get the Psych Up TM in Gold?
That's fine, Lynda! Welcome to the challenge!

In other news, I've continued my purple monocolor on to Platinum:

Update on Ultimate Purple Monocolor Challenge.

Update #1 on Platinum.

Name: Violet
Rival: Barry
Starter: Turtwig
  • Started with Turtwig, then hacked in an egg, which hatched into Missy the Misdreavs!
  • Beat the first gym with Missy, which actually was tougher than I expected, as Missy starts with Psywave, which is inconsistent.
  • Went into the lower level of Oreburgh Gate to look for Zubat, when to my amazement, out popped a Golbat! 1% chance!
  • Caught it and named her Vexi, then continued on to Floaroma Town.
  • Got the Honey and defeated Mars in the Valley Windworks.
  • Checked a Honey Tree, and caught Twintail the Aipom! Then I went through Eterna Forest with Cheryl.
  • After beating all the trainers around Eterna City, I took on Gardenia, who was pretty easy with Vexi's Wing Attack.
  • Defeated Jupiter in the TG Eterna Headquarters, which was no easy fight.
  • Grabbed the Bike and went down the Cycling Road back to Oreburgh City.
  • Went into the Route 206 grass underneath the bridge and caught Arcobat the Gligar!
  • Explored Wayward Cave and led Mira out, getting some nice experience for my team.
  • Made my way to Hearthome City, where I defeated Fantina, who wasn't very difficult thanks to all my Dark-type attacks.
  • Beat Barry again, then stopped at the Hallowed Tower on Route 209, where I caught Freakout the Spiritomb!
  • Got Defog in the Solaceon Ruins, then cleared the Lost Tower.
  • Continued on and arrived in Veilstone City, where I am saved now.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Violet:
Spr_4p_207_f.png

Acrobat the Adamant Gligar, ♀ - L29 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Screech, Faint Attack, Earthquake, Quick Attack
Spr_4p_190_m.png

Twintails the Lonely Aipom, ♂ - L29 @ Soothe Bell
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Return, Tickle, Astonish, Screech
Spr_4p_442.png

Freakout the Bashful Spiritomb, ♀ - L30 @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Faint Attack, Hypnosis, Ominous Wind, Dream Eater
Spr_4p_042_f.png

Vexi the Impish Golbat, ♀ - L30 @ Dread Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Bite, Screech, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray
Spr_4p_200.png

Missy the Bold Misdreavus, ♀ - L30 @ Mind Plate
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Psybeam, Shock Wave, Pain Split, Confuse Ray

HM Slave:
Spr_4p_387.png

Turtwig - Rock Smash, Cut, Flash

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Username: Lynda
Colour: Red
Game: Silver

I haven't even started my White challenge on Gold, but I'll get to it. For now I want to do Red on Silver though. There are a few Pokemon I really like in this category that I'd probably never choose otherwise. :)

Back