• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Moral of the Story

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
So, all the Pokémon Main Series Games could be said to have a basic theme and moral they're centered around, which could serve as a lesson to players. I imagine they were mostly intended as a moral lesson to children, though to be honest I never noticed any of them as a kid. I've made a list of the morals I could think up, along with Bulbapedia entries for the generations I'm a little less than familiar with.

Gen I was about the dangers of genetic engineering and experimentation.
Gen II was about the lure of seeking revenge.
Gen III was about the importance of protecting nature.
Gen IV was about hubris, and about the grain of truth inside every myth.
Gen V was about the need to keep balance between opposite and equally necessary forces.
Gen VI was about the dangers of trying to create perfection.

Did you notice a consistent theme and moral to the storytelling when playing the games - either as a child, or now?

What do you think Sun & Moon's theme and moral might be?

Years
For the most part I never really noticed Gen 1's moral but it definitely make sense now I think about it. The rest of them seem more obvious when playing through their respective games as they games became more and more story oriented. I guess a constant theme of the Pokemon games is friendship and understanding the error of your ways and changing who you are as a person (in some of the rival's cases anyway).

I have no idea what Sun and Moon's moral will be, maybe maintaining the balance between Light and Dark but that might be too obvious.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
I do agree every generation of Pokémon has some kind of lesson to teach, but fankly, I've never noticed them xD And now that you posted them, it kind of makes sense! I think every Pokémon game also teaches the importance of friendship, teamwork and following your dreams. It also advices us to be helpful and friendly.

I don't know what would be the moral of Sun and Moon, but maybe something related to the environment as well? Since Alola seems to have a lot of biodiversity... It usually has to do with the evil team, but I can't see any moral that might match Team Skull, besides not stealing, being a jerk, etc XD

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
Years
I don't know what would be the moral of Sun and Moon, but maybe something related to the environment as well? Since Alola seems to have a lot of biodiversity... It usually has to do with the evil team, but I can't see any moral that might match Team Skull, besides not stealing, being a jerk, etc XD

I figure it'd be something else revenge-related, since the Skull leader seems to have a grudge against the Professor for something related to their teacher.

Back