• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creative or underrated movesets that could work well?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Do you know of or use any movesets that deserve more spotlight? These can include Pokemon in general too, but you have to provide a strategy that would make it useful.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
No posts yet? damn you SMOGON!! the lack of diversity ticks me off :L

Well here I go ^_^

Species: Hydreigon
nature: Mild/rash
Ability: Spoiled for choice xD
Moves: Tailwind | Draco Meteor | Super Power | Fire Blast
Ev's: 148Atk | 248 sp.Atk | 112 (I will explain don't worry ^_^)
Item: Life Orb

The inspiration for this came from the agiligross from the days of d/p/pt. Its very simple and effective. Basically 70-80% after you find the opportunity to switch in hydreigon for free your opponent will switch into something expecting to sponge a draco meteor i.e. Ferrothorn,Scizor,Tyranitar,Blissey the list goes on this gives you a free turn in a similar vein to metagross you take this opportunity to set up tailwind(Agility) 112 EVs in a tailwind ensures that hydreigon outspeeds Modest 252 Venasaur in the sun THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT I used this on a weatherless team and every time I came up against a sun team they would send in venasaur to kill off my weakened hydreigon, 148 EVs nabs the KO on terrakion(I used to run 144 but once a terrakion survived with 1hp and cost me the match) scarf terrakion( in my opinion ) is one of the best revenge killers in the game and is very common, the given EVs also 1HKO 252/0 Tyranitar other hydreigon and 2HKO Blissey,Heatran,Ferrothorn and scizor the latter are ko'd be fire blast in the rain I did the calculations with 252/168 ferrothorn and 248/8 scizor now that all the technical jargon is out of the way, I'll explain what makes it simple.
Like I said once Hydreigon is in it more often than not it forces a switch granting you a free tailwind simple yes? the beauty of the set is what happens after those steps, because of smogon most pokemon sets are very "predictable", everyone who copies a team off smogon will always expect draco meteor or a special coverage move and this punishes those people who believe you cant touch their dedicated special walls and often kos or puts a huge dent in 2 or 3 pokemon because its so unpredicatable.

Every pokemon has its flaws however and this is no different, with life orb, hazards and possibly sandstorm or a burn(with all the scald spamming) hydreigon wont last very long so its really a die trying set, some matches but not very often at the end of tailwind I can switch out hydreigon safely having only lost life orb damage and possibly try again. this set cannot do ANYTHING to jellicent and the lesser seen eviolite dusknoir although draco meteor takes a nice chunk its not substantial and it a waste of your valuable tailwind turns so removing those pokemon first would be ideal, as with most dragons hydreigon lacks priority and has a weakness to 2 very common ones ice shard and mach punch.

I really like this set, and I'm delighted I came up with it ^ _ ^ with proper team support and synergy this can work very well. I like to use tentacruel as a spinner as it has nice synergy with hydreigon it resists mach punch/bullet punch and ice shard can spin away hazards and lay down toxic spikes to help facilitate a sweep hydreigon is also immune to ground and psychic which grants me the free switch we desire :) trappers like wobbufet/gothilette/scizor are also invaluable something else I found amazingly fun was a choice banded hustle durant in a tailwind which was a real reward over risk kinda deal :P

Also not really moveset per say but I like using this scizor especially with the popularity of rain teams:

Species: Scizor
nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
Moves: Acrobatics | Natural gift | Bullet punch | u-turn/roost/swords dance/pursuit
Item: Wacan Berry
evs: 252 Atk 252 Spe 4Hp

Natural gift trolls all the waters and laughs at the gyarados expecting a free dragon dance Technician ensures acrobatics is always at least 80(not the exact figure) base power when you dont want to waste your wacan berry just yet bullet punch is bullet punch and there are so many options for the last slot.

This is somewhat of a gimmick set I admit, regular choice band scizor is still king but this is fun to play with when your sick of everyone using everything smogon says is good, natural gift lets scizor hurt things it usually couldnt like jellicent/gyarados/politoed/vaporeon/tentacruel and rotom-w to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Liepard with prankster as ability
Moves: Thunderwave / Swagger / Foul Play / Dark Pulse
Item: Leftovers

Really really annoying!!!

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I made one, don't know how effective it would be, but it seems creative enough.

Serperior w/Overgrow h/Big Root

Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Coil, Synthesis

Anti

return of the king
Years
Note that this is for FOURTH GENERATION OU!

94.png

Gengar @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 40 Atk / 224 SAtk / 244 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast
- Explosion

One of the few sets that hasn't let me down since returning to Gen 4. I love Life Orb Gengar. My personal opinion is that the Sub/3 attacks set is a total waste because Gengar really needs that extra kick from Life Orb. Okay, you're safe from Scizor and ScarfTar (usually), but you aren't actually going to deal much damage, so what's the point? It's useless against stall and can't actually score crucial KOs against many Pokemon you see on offense teams. (As for SubSplit, I hate relying on Focus Blast in any capacity and find it to be underwhelming, though I think it's still a good set when used well.)

Enter Life Orb Gengar. One of the awesome things about all of the Substitute sets Gengar runs is that no one expects Explosion, and the Attack EVs ensure a OHKO on max/max Bold Blissey. You may want to scout for Protect but otherwise Blissey will stay in to get shelled. Explosion is also very useful for taking out Suicune, a Pokemon that sometimes comes in that screams "my opponent doesn't have a Gengar counter lol" even though it may not KO entirely. Hugely useful.

Scizor and Tyranitar are indeed annoying. I find Scizor pretty easy to predict--I often nab them on the switch with HP Fire. Tyranitar usually plays it safe or lures a Shadow Ball and is then guaranteed a free kill. As such, I have used this with Pokemon that can set up on Pursuit so Gengar's death isn't totally in vain.

Anyway, for all two of you who play DPP OU, Gengar is awesome. Its Speed is so handy and its typing/Levitate give it a ton of defensive utility despite its frailty, and I find him to be my favorite member of my offensive cores :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Coil, Synthesis

Uh, why is Coil even on Serperior when it doesn't even have physical moves to take advantage of the Attack boost?

Anyway, how about Trick Room Eruption Heatran? I've seen it a few times on some teams, so thought I'd share it:
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Choice Specs

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
Uh, why is Coil even on Serperior when it doesn't even have physical moves to take advantage of the Attack boost?

Anyway, how about Trick Room Eruption Heatran? I've seen it a few times on some teams, so thought I'd share it:
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Choice Specs

True... newbie mistake :(

Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Coil, Leaf Blade

Corrected? How does that look?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
True... newbie mistake :(

Corrected? How does that look?

That still wouldn't really work. Serperior's offensive movepool may be horrid, but Coil just doesn't mesh well with Leech Seed; Serperior is also currently walled by other Grass Pokémon, considering they resist their own type and Leech Seed doesn't affect them.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I like this Scrafty set for UU. He makes an awesome status absorber and phazer thanks to his bulkiness and survivability. It's essentially his bulk up set but offers a bit of utility instead of a setup sweep. If you don't want him to have sweeping potential, giving him Crunch allows him to deal with psychics that he'd otherwise only be able to dragon tail. Basically a bulky phazer with great typing and decent bulk while also being threatening offensively (if you opt for Bulk Up).

Scrafty@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk /252 SpD
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Careful
- Bulk Up / Crunch
- Drain Punch / Crunch
- Dragon Tail
- Rest

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Shaymin @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD /252 SpD
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt
- Rest / Synthesis / Return

Very nifty set and allows Shaymin to beat some of its checks. Standard Snorlax takes about ~80% from +2 LO Seed Bomb so given SR support and prior damage you can destroy it easily. Zen Headbutt can catch Crobat off guard, unboosted Zen Headbutt + SR can be a potential OHKO iirc or it does like 90% combined. Last slot is for healing or Return for decent coverage.

I mean yeah Seed Flare means Shaymin can generally muscle it's way past Snorlax/Umberon with some luck but gimmicks are always cool :|

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Uh yeah so i fail to see what that Serperior accomplishes bar getting walled by everything including life itself. Just use the standard Sub Coil Dragon Tail Leaf Blade set it totally outclasses that. :/

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/160 Def/4 Spd/96 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roar / Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tank Raikou, use with a cleric or W/E and you hard wall all other electrics (you outstall other Raikou barring a crit because they cannot recover and you can), Crobat, Honchkrow, Togekiss and other retarded things in UU etc. Use with hazards and over the course of a match you will beat each and every one of this things counters apart from Flygon. Toxic Spikes are most notable.

Evs let you live Life Orb Gat'r EQ and cushion Brave Birds from Krow and also cushion LO Zapdos Heat waves. You can use more sp.def if you want to. Max Sp.Def makes Zapdos LO Heat Wave a 4HKO.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
Uh yeah so i fail to see what that Serperior accomplishes bar getting walled by everything including life itself. Just use the standard Sub Coil Dragon Tail Leaf Blade set it totally outclasses that. :/

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/160 Def/4 Spd/96 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roar / Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tank Raikou, use with a cleric or W/E and you hard wall all other electrics (you outstall other Raikou barring a crit because they cannot recover and you can), Crobat, Honchkrow, Togekiss and other retarded things in UU etc. Use with hazards and over the course of a match you will beat each and every one of this things counters apart from Flygon. Toxic Spikes are most notable.

Evs let you live Life Orb Gat'r EQ and cushion Brave Birds from Krow and also cushion LO Zapdos Heat waves. You can use more sp.def if you want to. Max Sp.Def makes Zapdos LO Heat Wave a 4HKO.

It does suck, didn't use Smogon to build it and just picked the Pokemon at random. I was trying to be creative, but oh well.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
You don't need Smogon to make a set work lol

Kadabra@ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind / Hidden Power Ice

Been toying round with this in UU, it's pretty fun but admittedly needs hazards support to truly shine. It's basically a check to some common threats, with Magic Guard you should have at least 1 hit to down your opponent, 2 in most cases. Useful for stuff like Mienshao, ScarfCross, Honchkrow or anything that completely outspeeds your team but is kinda frail.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You do realize that Serperior gets Aqua Tail from the B2/W2 move tutors to at least let it hit Steels neutrally, right?

Anyway:
Tentacruel:
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Poison Jab
-Hydro Pump/Substitute/Rapid Spin
Nature: Lonely/Hasty/Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/80 SAtk/176 Spe or 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish/Liquid Ooze

Sure, physical Tentacruel isn't as effective as the standard defensive Tentacruel, but it surprisingly hits hard after a SD boost.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
You do realize that Serperior gets Aqua Tail from the B2/W2 move tutors to at least let it hit Steels neutrally, right?

Anyway:
Tentacruel:
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Poison Jab
-Hydro Pump/Substitute/Rapid Spin
Nature: Lonely/Hasty/Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/80 SAtk/176 Spe or 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish/Liquid Ooze

Sure, physical Tentacruel isn't as effective as the standard defensive Tentacruel, but it surprisingly hits hard after a SD boost.

You do realize Serperior is NU where there are almost no viable steel types and the ones that are cannot do jack to you anyway after a Coil (lol metang/probopass etc) ? That Aqua Tail has horrific coverage and synergy with grass moves right ? Actually Dragon Tail helps vs steels you will struggle with more anyway, for example Dragon Tail will hit before Bastoidons Roar so you outphaze it. :/

Also that Tentacruel doesn't work too well anymore sadly as ive tried it. Ferrothorn and Jellicent hard wall it unfortunately. Id probably just use Sub in the last slot so you can at least block Jellicents Wisp and beat non Night Shade ones eventually with poison.

Gothitelle/Magnezone i guess would make a decent partner for it so you could remove Ferrothorn.

Anyway

Forretress @ Leftovers
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Careful Nature
Trait: Sturdy
- Substitute
- Payback
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

I have been using this set lately and its actually very decent. This gen i feel Payback being nerfed on switch ins is one of Forretress's main reasons for well....sucking. Gyro Ball and Volt Switch simply just do not cut it against spin blockers which means Forry is now a worse spinner compared with last gen.

However, i came up with a way to make Payback still work. The beauty of this set lies in Sub. With a sp.def ev spread Jellicent will NEVER break your Subs with Scald. Which means you can 3hko it with Payback, it will be forced to keep Recovering as you recover with Lefties as it can no longer burn you so now you will at least have a fighting chance with Spikes up against it (this is amplified with SS up). Gengar stands no chance and is nearly OHKO'd with SR up.

Jellicent Scald Vs Forretress: 21.2% - 24.9%

Payback Vs common spin blockers:

Vs 248 / 216+ Jellicent: 30.8% - 36.2%
Vs 0/0 Gengar : 75.9% - 89.7%
Vs 248 / 36 Jellicent: 42.2% - 49.6%

In addition Cofagrigus also cannot break your Sub, burn you OR heal with Pain split so will be forced to switch which will let you spin.

This set also Ko's Chandelure, Golurk etc

The ONLY ghost that really has a chance of beating this set is Sableye (who sadly isnt weak to payback) and maybe Surf / Wisp Jellicent who annoyingly JUST breaks your sub.

The goal of this set is being able to spin consistently whilst standing a fighting chance against Jellicent on its own with hazard support where otherwise it would have to rely on the weak Volt Switch (is bad as it forces you out which is against the goal of spinning)/Tar to Pursuit ghosts.

SomaQL

The Varia Suit
Years
I actually have two sets to share with you today, one of which is a complete suprise to everyone it utterly beats the living hell out of, and the other an Improved Version of a Smogon set (much improved), so let's get started, shall we?

(Relicanth) (M) @ Wide Lens
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Polish

This set takes advantage of Wide Lens to improve the accuracy of these moves to 90% on Head Smash and 100% on Aqua Tail and Zen Headbutt, increasing Relicanth's staying power. If you can set up a Rock Polish on a forced switch, you shall become a nigh unstoppable tide of smashing justice on the enemy team. The 88 speed investment allows it to outspeed Golurk with 84 speed investment, and Aqua Tail will OHKO after stealth rock damage. Zen Headbutt allows Relicanth to hit the Fighting- types that plague NU, most notably Throh (Since Sawk still outspeeds even after a Rock polish, you should probably switch out), along with a respectable chance to flinch everything else. Aqua Tail is a more powerful version of Waterfall, with the Flinch chance moved to zen headbutt. I shouldn't have to explain why head smash is even on here.
Wide Lens Relicanth relishes (huehuehue) Ninjask support, although it can do just fine on it's own.
____________________________________________________________________________________

(Meganium) (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- AncientPower
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Suprise! I'm not explaining this because I love you all.

GOOD NIGHT DETROIT!

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
DanceRest Dragonite
@ Chesto Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 216 Spe or 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Rest
- Fire Punch

Great set but I can see why it doesn't get used much. With the threat of (p)hazers present, this set is a one time use. But boy, when it works, it simply wrecks. Without being scared of status or not being able to Roost Multiscale back, I'm usually able to DD three turns in a row before healing. By that point, anything not named Heatran dies by simply being in Dragonite's presence. The set requires support yes, but treat it well and your returns will be phenomenal.

I like to run the first EV spread for additional bulk. The speed drop doesn't really bother me as at +1, Dragonite is still able to outrun positive natured base 120 Pokemon. And since this set isn't meant to attack after just one boost, investing in bulk over speed that you'll gain back eventually is simply more practical.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I'll tell you a good Crustle set to be used in OU:

Spr_5b2_558.png

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge / Earthquake

With its good base 95 Attack and decent type coverage, Crustle makes for a fine lead. This Crustle generally works on hyper-offensive teams (remember Deoxys-D?) that need as many hazards as possible in order to sweep. Many people use Forretress or Skarmory over Crustle because of their Steel-typing and higher defenses. However, Crustle is actually capable of doing something else bar setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Crustle is the only lead SR/Spikes user capable of beating Starmie, threatening it with X-Scissor if it comes in and tries to spin. People paired Deoxys-D back in the day with Weavile because it could remove Starmie from the game. This Crustle also works well with Weavile as well as a Water-type resist such as Jellicent, who's also capable of spinblocking. However, if it's in the Custap Berry range, Crustle can simply annihilate Starmie with X-Scissor. In the last moveslot, Crustle can opt for Stone Edge for reliable STAB, or for Earthquake to OHKO Heatran, who completely walls Forretress and Skarmory (do watch out for Air Balloon variants, though).

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
A set I used to use was for Cradily.

Cradily
Item: Lum Berry/Chesto Berry
Nature: Careful
Ability: Suction Cups
EV's: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Atk.
Moves:
Curse
Recover/Rest
Seed Bomb
Rock Slide/Stone Edge

This set worked very well for me, when I could set it up. Send Cradily out as your pseudo-lead and curse while your opponent expects stealth rocks. If you can get Cradily two or more curses, then you're almost certain to get a rage quit, or a sweep. It's your choice between recover or rest depending on how many problems you run into status wise. I still use this set on my NU team and Cradily has scored dozens of victories and rage-quits alike.

Back