• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of extensions, I think I'm kind of an old-school guy, but, you know, ActiveX...

Guess native code has their benefits when you properly vet them.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I've always wondered whether I should do some ActiveX (aka the thing nobody does) just to write some extensions for what I use.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Don't have any extensions in my browser at all... well, maybe aside from AdBlock, haha. I honestly can't live without it; adverts are just generally annoying, and I have no intentions on clicking them whatsoever. :P

Years
The only two extensions I have in my Chrome that I use are Adblock Plus (self-explanatory) and an extension called APNG, which adds animated png support to Chrome. Both extensions are in the Chrome store, so I would hope they are verified and safe to use. :p

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I used to have a whole crapton of add-ons for Firefox, but unfortunately they all got deleted when I pressed some weird button combo that caused my Firefox to reset completely. Here's a list of a few add-ons I had:
  • Flagfox (to deduce IPs and what not)
  • Flashblock (prevents any flash from executing until I click on it)
  • Cookie Monster (set on a whitelist)
  • Foxy Proxy (used with a paid proxy)
  • YouTube Video Ripper (for getting music)
  • Ad-Block Plus (self-explanatory)
  • URL Alias (see below)

The URL alias add-on basically functioned as a more simplistic bookmarking system. I would assign a short string of characters to a URL, and that string would be converted into the corresponding URL and requested with a simple hit of the return button. Unfortunately all of my alias bookmarks got lost in the transfer. :/

The only two extensions I have in my Chrome that I use are Adblock Plus (self-explanatory) and an extension called APNG, which adds animated png support to Chrome. Both extensions are in the Chrome store, so I would hope they are verified and safe to use. :p

I'd rather trust my own research along with the reviews of my peers rather than trust some easily corruptable arbitrary system for verification. To be honest, I find more credibility in the comments sections of torrent websites than some little image next to the name of an add-on or application that I'm supposed to put faith in. Wouldn't you?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Jordan, I find it amusing that they would think that anyone would be stupid enough to download such an add-on. Then again, I'm sure you have some horror stories from tech support that can verify the public's technological ignorance. :p

Just now I restored my old Firefox profile from before I accidentally reset (it was magically saved on my desktop), but unfortunately my saved URLs didn't make it, idk what happened. :(

Last edited:
Years
I'd rather trust my own research along with the reviews of my peers rather than trust some easily corruptable arbitrary system for verification. To be honest, I find more credibility in the comments sections of torrent websites than some little image next to the name of an add-on or application that I'm supposed to put faith in. Wouldn't you?
I see where you're going with this. However, keep in mind as well that Google does charge for their service, meaning you have to pay a fee to get an extension up into the Chrome store. I can't remember though how much it costs or if it was one-time or recurring, though.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Never underestimate the stupidity of human beings. Most scams are from phishing and people being dumb, gullible bastards.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
They say that the problem exists between the keyboard and the chair when it comes to many computer problems. I suppose that maybe we should make it "held object" and "floor" these days.

It's a never-ending flow of people getting scammed these days. At least we could try our best to fix up the mess... and prevent them in the future. Once bitten, twice shy...

Alexander Nicholi

Years
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Or something like that.

I absolutely love that post somewhere in the Tech Support story thread where he said that he had a report saying "the student's laptop monitor exploded. He was working on his School Project and his screen suddenly exploded." Like we're going to be able to magically both diagnose and fix a screen explosion, as if we're Merlin or something… really? Really? ._.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I absolutely love that post somewhere in the Tech Support story thread where he said that he had a report saying "the student's laptop monitor exploded. He was working on his School Project and his screen suddenly exploded." Like we're going to be able to magically both diagnose and fix a screen explosion, as if we're Merlin or something… really? Really? ._.

I suspect you have to report everything strange going on, even if you can't fix it just like that. It's still a broken something.

Years
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3295711143 Is this a decent net speed for Battling and connecting in Pokemon?
I moved your post over into the T&I DCC as it doesn't have anything to do with CSS or BB code, and it doesn't need its own thread, really.

Those speeds should be fine, though it may take a little longer than usual to connect because those are DSL-like speeds. You shouldn't have to worry about being disconnected by yourself though because the ping is fine. The download and upload speeds aren't the best, though.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
I moved your post over into the T&I DCC as it doesn't have anything to do with CSS or BB code, and it doesn't need its own thread, really.

Those speeds should be fine, though it may take a little longer than usual to connect because those are DSL-like speeds. You shouldn't have to worry about being disconnected by yourself though because the ping is fine. The download and upload speeds aren't the best, though.

Oh lol, then I shouldn't have moved it *facepalm* Anyway that's good. I have done some battles and trades that I haven't been able to do in the past. Not sure if it's a sudden change(it has happened before during a very rainy day, weird.) or my net has been updated.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm just fine with my ping speeds of 60-100 ms. I usually don't deal with online gaming, and even if I'm playing online games, on local servers, it's just average.

On a 3.5G mobile connection.

What's with the double posts?

Last edited:
Years
I'm fine with my 25 down and 25 up xD

The double post glitch seems to have infected this thread since it has a lot of posts now -_-

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
So for Computer Science class I'm setting up a Windows 7 VM that half the class is going to use. I'm installing 136 updates right now. welp

Sounds like me and my laptop's recovery image.

Should I be glad that local recovery partition now automatically update on Windows 8.x-based systems (of the RT variety, at least), including whole OS upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back