• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Growing up, my parents refused to get a game system that couldn't be shared between my brother and I. So, I never got to play Pokemon, despite really wanting to. Now that I have a 3DS, I decided to buy Pokemon X. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player? Thanks :)

you poor guy... :(. anyways if you want to get good and win battles just learn about EVs and IVs and learn how to setup a good team like in one of my teams i have some moderate speed pokemon with moderate defense but great attack so i have a pokemon with tailwind so they can attack first

Guy

just a guy
Years
Generally speaking, it's your first Pokémon game, so I say just enjoy it and have fun. Make sure and talk to all of the NPC's (non-playable characters), read the signs, and make use of your key items (i.e. the Dowsing Machine). Rule of thumb: Explore everything and everywhere.

Since there's a lot of things to cover since the beginning of Pokémon to now, if you ever need help don't be afraid to do a little research online to help you along the way. When I got my first Pokémon game, online guides were like a gift from above. Now it's even easier with Youtube!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

1. Type advantages are your best friends. Sending out that water pokemon against a fire-type might just do the trick
2. Socialize with (in-game) people or NPCs. A lot of them give valuable items and information, you don't want to miss that, do you?
3. Don't forget to eat, poop, and sleep. You may be playing too much Pokemon already.

Cheers!

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
Here's some things a new player should always do/know:

-Stat boosting and support moves are useful!
-Know if Pokemon are specially or physically based. Play to their strengths.
-Have good type synergy. Get a variety of Pokemon and attacks.
-Talk to people and explore. You can find cool items and other stuff.

Those are just a few minor tips for being good at battling. Don't worry too much, though, any good Pokemon player should be able to relax and play through their game casually. Make sure to do whatever you want in your playthrough to have fun :D

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

-Stat boosting and support moves are useful!
-Know if Pokemon are specially or physically based. Play to their strengths.
-Have good type synergy. Get a variety of Pokemon and attacks.
-Talk to people and explore. You can find cool items and other stuff.

lol, this! I was trying so hard to recall what i was missing while i was writing. glad someone mentioned it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Returning Pokemon Player - What to do first?

Hey!
I'm a returning player and after beating Black 2 today on my DS I ordered a 3DS XL
(with pokemon Y)

The last time I played a pokemon game was back when silver (gen 2) came out.

Should I go replay all the pokemon games?

What game should I start with?

Would watching the anime help me with learning the pokemon names/moves help?

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
Hey, nice to meet ya!

Watching the anime isn't necessary. Just jump right into Y, and learning attacks should be easy.

Earlier games aren't necessary, but FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver might be a bit of a nostalgia overload! :)

Welcome, and enjoy yourself.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Not sure if this is the right section for this, but welcome back.

It's awesome that you've ordered Y. In Y there actually a lot of pokemon from all of the regions that we've seen so far. I would suggest playing Pokemon Diamond for fun; there is not really much you have to do to get prepared for Y imo. Maybe beat Black because the story in Black relates to Black 2 a little. A lot of the features in Y are different than what we've seen in any predecessor game.

Yeah, I'd try to play as many Pokemon games as you can. The Pokemon franchise is a great and unique franchise to play. If you get tired of Pokemon (how is that possible!?), some games that are like it are Dragon Quest, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Also, there are side Pokemon games that are fun to play. My two favorite were Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness on the Nintendo Gamecube. They were extremely fun to play, and have players look at the Pokemon world differently. Those two are somewhat hard to find, but I'm sue you could find them off of Amazon. I would also suggest the Pokemon Ranger games and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games that are popular on the Nintendo DS.

If you really want to start over, why not start at the beginning? I would start in the Kanto region by playing Red/Blue or Firered/Leafgreen, then work your way up by generation through the new regions. Then I would play Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Rangers, or the previous other games that I suggested.

Watching anime may help. If you do, for learning purposes make sure that you watch the dubbed Pokemon anime because the Japanese version gives most pokemon different names. The best way to learn pokemon names is simply playing through the games and experiencing the pokemon by catching them or encountering them. I would say the second best way to learn pokemon names is by competitive battling. You can learn to form a team via Pokemon Showdown and Pokemon Online (if you need help with these contact me), and just by creating teams this will help you become familiarized with the pokemon names. One more way that is kind of silly is by listening to the Pokemon rap songs. They can be ridiculous but they're catchy and can really help.

Best of luck with your adventure, and if you need help contact me via pm or vm and I'll happily help you out. :]

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Thanks for the fast reply!
EDIT: Great help guys! Going to borrow my cousins collection tomorrow and see how far I can get before my 3ds comes :D
Again guys thanks!

PS: I didn't see a more fitting board to post this on, sorry :(

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
If you want to play Gen 3 (I'm assuming that Gen 3 isn't the reason you stopped playing lol) go for Emerald. If you want to play Gen 4, go with Platinum. Also, since you're familiar with Gen 2 (Pokemon Silver) I recommend you play SoulSilver, the remake of it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not sure if this is the right section for this, but welcome back.

Nope, totally in the right place! He's asking about where to start back with the games, not really introducing himself. I'm going to merge this with the Q&A thread now. :)

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Nope, totally in the right place! He's asking about where to start back with the games, not really introducing himself. I'm going to merge this with the Q&A thread now. :)

Oh okay, my bad. I have to keep learning! :]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Quick noob breeding question.c:

If I want to breed a Pokemon with a specific breeding-only move, does the offspring have to inherit it from the parent?

For example, if I'm breeding a Charmander with Flare Blitz, does the father actually have to have the move in order for the offspring to hatch with it?

I know it seems kind of obvious, but just making sure. :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Quick noob breeding question.c:

If I want to breed a Pokemon with a specific breeding-only move, does the offspring have to inherit it from the parent?

For example, if I'm breeding a Charmander with Flare Blitz, does the father actually have to have the move in order for the offspring to hatch with it?

I know it seems kind of obvious, but just making sure. :P

In X/Y, the mother can also know the desired egg move to pass it down to the offspring.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Thanks!
Sorry, one more thing, in that case - so if, say, the mother has Flare Blitz and the father has Dragon Pulse, would both these moves be passed down to the offspring?

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Dec 3, 2013
Pokemon Black or Y ?

Last time I played a Pokemon game was The Red version (so a long time ago).

I dont have much time to play, so I might never be able to beat both game. I know its a personal taste question but to you if you would play only 1 game. Would it be Pokemon White/black or X/Y ?

Wich one is thew funniest ?

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Nerakil said:
so if, say, the mother has Flare Blitz and the father has Dragon Pulse, would both these moves be passed down to the offspring?

Looks like it. All the info you need on egg moves is here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Egg_move

Last time I played a Pokemon game was The Red version (so a long time ago).

I dont have much time to play, so I might never be able to beat both game. I know its a personal taste question but to you if you would play only 1 game. Would it be Pokemon White/black or X/Y ?

Wich one is thew funniest ?

Not even a question, buddy: X/Y without a doubt.

The gen 5 games don't compare to them at all, and weren't even that great to begin with IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back