• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Final rating: 5/10

Now, for my map

Name: Fordekkin Woods
Game: The Leola Project - Fire Red BPRE 1.0
Credits: None, other than Game Freak.
Comments: This is my first attempt at making a forest, using the Viridian Forest tiles. I feel it came out fine, and I thought it'd be a better idea to include the other trees as well, considering normal forests aren't restricted to one kind of tree. Except for, maybe, the Red Wood Forest. Anywho, tell me where to improve since this is my first attempt using this tileset. I feel I have too much open space, but I know not how to fill it in.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Ohk well i do find very little to complain about the map and I don't often see forests with FR tiles cause well they are Firered tiles but you do use them pretty darn well so anyways.
Its does feel very open but you cant do much about that mainly because you have alot of paths in the map, don't blame you as for how to make it look like their is not too much space well err you know sometimes you add a bit and then the map feels clutters try adding in trainers cause they do actually take up space and in parts where you fight them them that are feels less empty..
The map and the general structure is good and well like i said not much to complain about sad really! xD
Ill rate it like a 8-9/10
Only cause it feels like it needs something.

Well my turn for a map.
Im trying to get back into mapping so don't eat me alive.

Map name: Just a snow route
Credits: mostly zein..
Base: Firered
Map:Just so you dont judge the layout your supposed to go up over the mountains first because the bottom path is blocked so yea..
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
@M.L.

I really like this map there isn't anything I can complain about it but just wondering are those rocks or stumps sticking out of the ground in the middle-southern portion of the map, I like pretty much everything about this map although I kind of find it odd there is a frozen pool of water there though that might just be because in most games those are only found inside, meh...

9.8/10

This is probably the smallest map I or most of you have made it's so small, it's a tiny little island town so it's pretty isolated, what's odd about it is that it has two incredibly important houses relevant to the story line. The northern house is where an old couple speak of their child leaving on a Pokemon journey who visits every now and again (That child is the champion). The other house appears empty aside from one concrete block however when the player is told of a password to the entrance to the villainous team's hideout this house is said entrance.

Map Name: Miloc Island
Map Game: FR
Spoiler:

Espeonage

Ninja Espeon
Years
This is probably the smallest map I or most of you have made it's so small, it's a tiny little island town so it's pretty isolated, what's odd about it is that it has two incredibly important houses relevant to the story line. The northern house is where an old couple speak of their child leaving on a Pokemon journey who visits every now and again (That child is the champion). The other house appears empty aside from one concrete block however when the player is told of a password to the entrance to the villainous team's hideout this house is said entrance.

Spoiler:

My only real criticism is that islands aren't square. I'd play around with the sand strip around and maybe make it range fro 0-2 blocks wide to give more of a jagged feel. It also then gives you some possibility space to work with with the player. Also the back part of the island seems a bit bare, possibly some stairs from the sand strip would help use that space, otherwise just pretty it up a bit, two squares of flowers go a long way.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Now, for my map

Name: Fordekkin Woods
Game: The Leola Project - Fire Red BPRE 1.0
Credits: None, other than Game Freak.
Comments: This is my first attempt at making a forest, using the Viridian Forest tiles. I feel it came out fine, and I thought it'd be a better idea to include the other trees as well, considering normal forests aren't restricted to one kind of tree. Except for, maybe, the Red Wood Forest. Anywho, tell me where to improve since this is my first attempt using this tileset. I feel I have too much open space, but I know not how to fill it in.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

This map is very reminiscent of Berry Forest from FR/LG and not to say that's a bad thing but it just seems that way. I wouldn't recommend using having the three trees cut out one of them probably the small thing ones are best to avoid for forests and wood. The two nearby exits which in reality require you to traverse the whole forest is a good idea but maybe put them at other sides than just the one because it seems like it's very weighted that way. Lastly since this is a Forest you might want it to twist and turn here and there, make people work for their way out.

Anyways good map overall

8.7/10

I got bored this morning and went web browsing and found that map of America using DP tools anyone else seen it, it's really quite good so I decided since the person there is probably from US of A why not take a crack at doing one for Australia, course the problem was when I found a suitable map... It required me to size down the cities and towns so they would fit, seriously Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney were pretty much one city because of how big they were... I did plan to expand the map out to compensate but I'm lazy so whatevs. Here is Australia with 26 Cities/Towns and Uluru.

FoNaBWc.png

Espeonage

Ninja Espeon
Years
@Serp:

Lack of Broken Hill or Mount Isa is a bit disappointing. Both would give some cool looping connections.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
@Espeonage

Yeh I'll be going back and restarting, I'm doing some maths to figure out the pixel dimensions I'll need for a Map of Australia to have an equal ratio of sizes to the American one, so don't worry for now that's all I can offer but the future one will have practically every city and Town I can fit and find on there

According to my results Austrlia is 789 x 675 pixels where Canada + USA + Mexico where 1044 x 1336, so not every Town and City will probably fit but there will be a lot hopefully

Ok this is the first upload of the map, so far I've included most locations with 9K+ people so that's why Victoria is filled to the brim and others like Western Australia are bare to the bone, anyways I've included several landmarks as well such as Uluru, GBR, Three Sisters, Twelve Apostles, Flinders Range, etc. Just look for them I will be including Mt. Kosciusko later as well as Wave Rock and a few others here and there, I'll probably find some town in Western Australia, Northern Territory and South Australia to fill in the gaps and leave NSW, QLD and Victoria where they are. Also found out we have 8 mainland States and Territories QLD, NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, Norhtern Territory, ACT and here is the little gibbon it's name is Jervis Bay. Never heard of it good neither had I until about 3PM today.

Anyways moving here is the first of several posts
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Neti

Inactive
Years
Map name: Just a snow route
Credits: mostly zein..
Base: Firered
Map:Just so you dont judge the layout your supposed to go up over the mountains first because the bottom path is blocked so yea..
Spoiler:

First off, I really like that tiles. I think I have never seen any other ice tiles besides the one I used in my hack and rombase, and I really don't like them anymore :D But these are great.
Also the shape of the route and the mountains is great. There's enough room to walk, still it looks natural and interesting.
You might have a problem with your border blocks though... At the left you'll need trees for the border, but when travelling up the mountain those will cause a border error there.
Also, you can improve on your tree placement. They're just too perfectly aligned, like in a grid. Try adding some space inbetween and make new blocks that allow the diagonal placement of trees.
Overall a really good map, keep up the good work!

Now, it's time for me to show you a map of mine. I haven't been mapping for like 3 years now and just wanted to see what happended to my skills ;)
This map was made using my work-in-progress rombase, to see if I'm missing any important blocks. I might remove one of the trees to get some more space in my tileset...
anyway, here it is:

Map Name: None, it's just for fun
Base: FireRed

Spoiler:

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Neti said:
Map Name: None, it's just for fun
Base: FireRed
Spoiler:

Well, in general it's a pretty great map. The tree placement and the slopes are very well done. It seems to me that you have a pretty good grasp on natural map.. :) (Although I have no idea where that comes from, cause I'm a noob at mapping). The city layout is generally good, too. Maybe separate the two top ones, though?

Few minor things: The trees at the bottom and the top of the map seem a little straight compared to the ones closer to the town proper. And in the rock area, I find that the bushes don't really belong..maybe if you put splotches of grass around them? And finally, compared to the landscape tiles, which are amazing, the buildings kind of stick out in an awkward way.

Otherwise... Awesome job! You still are a pro after three years :D 9/10

Here's a random map I did cause I was bored:

Map Name: Random Route
Map Game: Emerald
Comments: I tried to snuff out those pesky tile errors, and I hope I caught them all. My real concern in this map is the sand paths... They look a little out of place. Could you give your opinion on that? Thanks :)
P.S. The small bush in the right of the map represents a cut tree, by the way.
Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Espeonage

Ninja Espeon
Years
@Serp:

To give you some ideas, Coober Pedy and Alice will help connect up NT and SA.
Broome will give you some substance on the west coast, or a network of mining tunnels as that is all that really happens over there.

Neti

Inactive
Years
Well, in general it's a pretty great map. The tree placement and the slopes are very well done. It seems to me that you have a pretty good grasp on natural map.. :) (Although I have no idea where that comes from, cause I'm a noob at mapping). The city layout is generally good, too. Maybe separate the two top ones, though?

Few minor things: The trees at the bottom and the top of the map seem a little straight compared to the ones closer to the town proper. And in the rock area, I find that the bushes don't really belong..maybe if you put splotches of grass around them? And finally, compared to the landscape tiles, which are amazing, the buildings kind of stick out in an awkward way.

Otherwise... Awesome job! You still are a pro after three years :D 9/10

Here's a random map I did cause I was bored:

Comments: I tried to snuff out those pesky tile errors, and I hope I caught them all. My real concern in this map is the sand paths... They look a little out of place. Could you give your opinion on that? Thanks :)
Map:
Spoiler:

Thanks for the rating :)
Just to let you know: The trees at the top and bottom look so straight, because they actually are there for a error-free border. The ones to the side are straight as well, there was just more space to add MORE trees, so it doesn't appear that straight.

Now for your map:

It actually reminds me a bitof a map I once made for Pokemon Flame of Rage, the first route :D Even though I haven't seen it in a while, that was the first thing that came to my mind.
I really like the structure of this map. The right path wasn't clear at first sight, I had to look over it for a while. Really good use of the ledges!

Actually it's only small errors that I can complain about, the map itsself is very good. Those errors are:
- A tile error at the top right, where a grass tile is at the border of the mountain. The grass tile lacks the mountain border...
- And you will face border errors all around your map ;) Have you every played that map? Maybe you've never taken border errors in mind if you haven't seen what happens ingame. If you understand that, you will also understand why I placed the trees in my map like I did.

I would rate this a 9/10

MiniMinun

Years
Serperion said:
Spoiler:

Not too too much to say about this, because it is a relatively simple map. But a nice simple map. Only thing to say would be that the island looks unnaturally square. Maybe play around with the sand at the bottom and maybe even the ledges? Also, since you don't have much space on the island, maybe open up and use the empty land behind the buildings? Of course, totally up to you though. Good map! 7.8/10

@Neti

Thank you for the good review :) Considering tile errors, I kind of screwed up. I had made an original picture of the map, then saw a bunch of errors, then made a new picture with them fixed. I deleted the original one. Just as I uploaded the map, though, I realized that I deleted the good one on accident -_- But I didn't see that grass tile, so thanks. And concerning the map borders, I just wanted to have a review of the map in general. If it ever comes to actualy using the route, I will just make it a little bigger so the player won't be able to see the borders.
Again, though, thanks for the review!

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
MiniMinum;7880791 [B said:
Map Name:[/B] Random Route
Map:
Spoiler:

I like the idea, it has a rather ancient feeling to it, like it's leading somewhere like some ruins with a secret inside, I can see a good combination of big trees, small trees, tall grass and path also I like the elevated areas around the south and east. Although don't have any tall grass the player couldn't otherwise reach like in the Very North section or South-Eastern. Otherwise this map is really good.

9.6/10

Got a ton of work done after 4 days of being away so here we are again with another update also thanks to Espeonage for that advice I'd already planned to include those cities but still good input, I'll be throwing in more stuff later on but right now I need to recover my shoulders are killing me.

Spoiler:

I'll leave you with this gift all :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Got a ton of work done after 4 days of being away so here we are again with another update also thanks to Espeonage for that advice I'd already planned to include those cities but still good input, I'll be throwing in more stuff later on but right now I need to recover my shoulders are killing me.

Spoiler:

I'll leave you with this gift all :)[/QUOTE]

I really like this map a lot! This looks very colorful and it really pops out! It is very plesent to look at.

On the other hand, I don't like how you have a lot of areas where it's just linear. For example near the left of the routes, there is just routes leading from town to town, it's too linear, I would appreciate it if you mixed it up a bit. Also I find there are TOO many towns. I think it is important to have a lot of towns in your game, but I don't think you should have this many. I think you should limit yourself to 20 or 25.

Other then that i think is map is great! I give you a 8/10

This is my map

NAME: Winnipeg
GAME: Pokemon Battle Brown (A ROM hack for Fire Red)
COMMENTS: This is the starting town to my own ROM. I took the tiles from a bunch of random people around the community (I credit those people on my page). I know there is a tile error in the top right but I made it so no players can see it, so I don't think it really matters.
MAP: View attachment 69957

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
@Awipe1

If you didn't already know this is a map of Australia, due to the amount of cities in Victoria I made the cut-off for a location to be a city 30,000 pop.

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years

Spoiler:

I'll leave you with this gift all :)

I really like this map a lot! This looks very colorful and it really pops out! It is very plesent to look at.

On the other hand, I don't like how you have a lot of areas where it's just linear. For example near the left of the routes, there is just routes leading from town to town, it's too linear, I would appreciate it if you mixed it up a bit. Also I find there are TOO many towns. I think it is important to have a lot of towns in your game, but I don't think you should have this many. I think you should limit yourself to 20 or 25.

Other then that i think is map is great! I give you a 8/10

This is my map

NAME: Winnipeg
GAME: Pokemon Battle Brown (A ROM hack for Fire Red)
COMMENTS: This is the starting town to my own ROM. I took the tiles from a bunch of random people around the community (I credit those people on my page). I know there is a tile error in the top right but I made it so no players can see it, so I don't think it really matters.
MAP: View attachment 69957[/QUOTE]

rate: well the map is ok, im not a huge fan of the mountain tiles you got there. the mountin's seem oddly colored, the color of you're houses are really well made. the trees i like alot for this map it seems to go really well with it. if this is a town it shouldn't have any tall grass in my opinion. also i see some tiles error's up near the top right of the map. most of the map comes together very well, but the mountains is what trows me off.but the map overall is pretty decent so 6/10

map name:town 1
game: fire red (rom base found online)
disclaimer: i found this base online if i need to credit someone pm me and ill add credits!
map:
Spoiler:

please give a ton of criticism (personally i think this is one of my best :D)

Last edited:
Years
Well, looks like I'm going to be the first to rate P:
Reviewed Map:

Review: As always, the mountain structure is very nice, though you could've added a tad bit more on the top right and bottom right corners. I like how you laid out the grass and the little shoots in the sand. Also, I think I noticed a tile error near the bottom left, where the grass patch is. Try and spot it o; 9/10
Suggestions: Just take care of that little tile error. Some things I've mentioned above. Nothing more actually.

the mountain structure is wrong because the to layers exceed the bottom. overall good but it looks like a part of one of the sevi islands (not sure which).

As much as I will credit you on the overall feeling of the City I don't feel like it should be a city, I mean consider actual Pokemon games, this place has three generic houses and two places of interest, Dewford Town had the same thing essentially so you may want to consider down-grading it to a Town or building bigger, also that water surface seems a bit odd, it is just, it's so Kanto Region, I guess is the term it's not really fitting in with the rest of the scenery and has a very blocky appearance, although it's nothing a little touch-up can't fix.

Overall this map looks pretty good just don't consider it a City at the number of houses.

An edit to my previous map, Region 22, now featuring 3 large landmasses, I divided up the map so it had about 5+ cities on the main Landmasses, also for those wondering the player starts in the Northern-most city on the Eastern Peninsula and works their way down to the Southern-most City, heads north to the city that is almost on its own, the 2x2 with four connectors then to the northern city on the Western one and then head into the Middle Peninsula and goes down the left side and crosses over to the Western Peninsula where they work their way back up to that very northern City, finally they go down to that City on it's own island on the West which is the Pokemon League (That's if you were to aim to go through the region's gym ASAP). Other Towns and Cities which are not on that path feature stuff like; The Pseudo Legendary Pokemon, Safari Zone, Pokemon Contests, etc.

Spoiler:

it is a bit linear, the buildings look like they are on a plain, but i love the pallet, very nice

Last edited:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
map name:town 1
game: fire red (rom base found online)
disclaimer: i found this base online if i need to credit someone pm me and ill add credits!
map:
Spoiler:

please give a ton of criticism (personally i think this is one of my best :D)

Tree placement does look nice, and I think the mountain shape does work for it. However, I feel like the path in the middle of the town is too wide in the center. Also the space between the house on the upper left seems to be too constricted. I also have concern with the water rock tile errors. The dark water cuts abruptly, the bridge is connected in a way that seems like a mistake. That bridge is meant to be used as an up-down bridge, not side-to-side. But, other than that, this looks fine. I think more flowers could've been used in-town, but meh.
Sorry if this review is a little scattered, I'm on my medication currently.

My turn.

Name: Fordekkin Beach.
Game: The Leola Project - Summer
Comments: This map is contains the gulf-side coast of Southwest Larien. The player will enter from the top or the left, and exit through the right. I'm more worried on seeing if this feels like a beach-side property. Not all buildings with doors are accessible, some are locked.
Credits: Game Freak
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Pokémon Trainer 188

Comments: This map is contains the gulf-side coast of Southwest Larien. The player will enter from the top or the left, and exit through the right. I'm more worried on seeing if this feels like a beach-side property. Not all buildings with doors are accessible, some are locked.

I like the Layout of the Town and how you can Surf to the Right but it's a bit Spread out, maybe you could get rid of the Fenced off area with the Trees and Flowers and just Compact the Town together a bit :P But overall 6/10 :)

Name: Seren Town
Hack: Pokemon Starlite
Comments: This is the Starter Town of the Hack, To the North is a Canyon with a Cave at the End and to the South is a Port, it's like a town on a Small Island :) There's also a Flower/Berry Shop where you buy Berries and a Market for Items you can't get anywhere else.
Spoiler:

MiniMinun

Years
Winter Wonderland said:
Name: Fordekkin Beach.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Honestly, I do not have much to say about this map. The layout of the town works well in my opinion, and a love the the little gardens you added.

There is one small thing that bugs me though, and its the path that leads to the left-most house. There is technically nothing wrong with it, but the small grassy space between the two paths just looks a little off.

I would really like to give more criticism, but again, I just can't. It is a very good map overall with everything working well together (other than the path that I mentioned). Great job! 9/10

Map Name: Random Forest
Comments: Soooo since I had no inspiration for a new route, I decided to try and make my first forest. Since this was my first forest, I tried to keep things simple. And although the random rocks in the water do look out of place, I just put them there to balance out the other rocks that are blocking the river entrances. P.S. You enter from the bottom.
Map:
Spoiler:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Game: Fire Red
Credits: Full Metal's Sinnoh patch and tile creators.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: I'm simply trying out new tiles, these are snow ones so I can get a feel of how to map for my winter installment for The Leola Project.

Game: Fire Red
Credits: Omega Zero and tile creators.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: Same as last map, just trying new tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back