• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
Years
Hi, I am currently writing a fic (obviously...), and would like any suggestions for names of two pokemon. I already have some good ideas, but I would like to hear yours. Please, I beg of you, no cliche names such as Flame, Shadow, Claw, ect.

The two pokemon will be a male Charmander and a Male Absol.

If it helps, their background are somewhat cliche's, unfortunately, but unless I think of something else, it'll stay that way. Charmander was simply abadnoned bcause it is weaker than most others. However, although this is overdone, I hope to stick with that overbearing weakness and show a lot of struggle in its gain for strength, so if you think of a name that goes with that...

Absol not really aything. He is simply a wanderer since he was a wild pokemon. Simply travelled around. He does have a rather bold nature, and is rather blunt in his opinions. He will straight out tell you what he thinks. He is neither over curious or brave, he simply goes with the flow...

So I hope this should help with any names you might think up! Thanks!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Pokemon names are rather difficult to ask for from others, because there are so many possibilities for names. At least to me.

See, when nicknaming Pokemon, there are many different ways to go: mythology of all cultures, all the languages of the real world, historical figures, or just random words that seem like gibberish but sound really great as names.

So, to ask you a question, how would these Pokemon be named, and who would be doing the naming? If their fellow Pokemon do the naming, then you wouldn't use normal human-sounding names, unless the Pokemon species would actually do that. XD Of, if they are named by humans, then what's the personality of the human doing the naming? Or what's the world like? Is there something in the Pokemon world itself, or something you can add, to take nicknames from? (For instance, I added an "ancient language" to my fics [which is actually Gaelic] that my trainer uses to get her nicknames for her Pokemon from.)

Right now, the best advice I can give for coming up with names for your Pokemon characters is to just have fun with it. Go crazy.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I make up some of mine, uses behindthename.com for others, and just pull yet others from everyday life. It's kind of hard for people to come up with names for you, seeing as you're the one writing the story...just call them what seems natural.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
Years
Pokemon names are rather difficult to ask for from others, because there are so many possibilities for names. At least to me.

See, when nicknaming Pokemon, there are many different ways to go: mythology of all cultures, all the languages of the real world, historical figures, or just random words that seem like gibberish but sound really great as names.

So, to ask you a question, how would these Pokemon be named, and who would be doing the naming? If their fellow Pokemon do the naming, then you wouldn't use normal human-sounding names, unless the Pokemon species would actually do that. XD Of, if they are named by humans, then what's the personality of the human doing the naming? Or what's the world like? Is there something in the Pokemon world itself, or something you can add, to take nicknames from? (For instance, I added an "ancient language" to my fics [which is actually Gaelic] that my trainer uses to get her nicknames for her Pokemon from.)

Right now, the best advice I can give for coming up with names for your Pokemon characters is to just have fun with it. Go crazy.

That's pretty interesting! Thanks for the idea. I hadn't really thought of going with cultural names, as I didn't want to go the English/Japanese way. Simply put, the Americans who use the common Japanese names such as Kitsune or Tsume or Kiba. I don't know any Japanese, so that's why I didn't want to go that way, but Gaelic or something similar is intersting. If you're the one in charge of this thread area, you may close this.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, you can use whatever language you want to use, if you have a better grasp of that language. That's one of the awesome things about naming Pokemon. You can use whatever source of names you want and have it make sense

And I'll close this thread for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back