• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
I tried to import your sample type sheet in my NSE 2.0/1, and the I already change the Load sprite box into Load Palette+image but nothing happened, only the palette is imported in the rom. how is that?

Probably because you didn't change the image size to Height 18; Width; 16
(Check the Image I attached in my last post)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 6, 2014
I found this really complicated... can you please make for me a fairy type pokemon for FireRed? If you done, give me the link. That would be much easier. thank you.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
yay, I managed to add new types

but why New moves hit Normal type pokemon like what the ??? does,
and Super effective damages the opponent like 0A- Or normal moves

...Wait I don't understand. Did you edit the type chart? If you didn't, you should. Unless you're type isn't super effective or weak to anything.
If you did and you're getting these problems, I suggest you just look at it again and see if there are problems. Also remember that you need to move the 'foresight' bytes to add more effectivenesses'(?)

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
...Wait I don't understand. Did you edit the type chart? If you didn't, you should. Unless you're type isn't super effective or weak to anything.
If you did and you're getting these problems, I suggest you just look at it again and see if there are problems. Also remember that you need to move the 'foresight' bytes to add more effectivenesses'(?)

Yah I did that, but still super effective moves workd like normal though I put 140 power on a pokemon

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yah I did that, but still super effective moves workd like normal though I put 140 power on a pokemon

Uhh, well. All I can say is, double check. Did you repoint correctly? Did you make super effective moves "14"? And not "20"? Because that's important. If its not "14", which is 2x effectiveness, then the 'It's Super Effective!' message won't appear. And did you utilise the right structure? "Attacking" "Defending" "Multiplier"? Also did you use the correct type bytes?
Other than that, do you think you did anything drastic enough to mess up the rom like that?
If it still doesn't work...try again. That's my advice.

Years
I dont get this Due to a post in Mr.DollSteak's rombase thread, it appears that the Effect Icon IS USED. So, you HAVE TO REPOINT THE ICON POSITION TABLE. I repeat: you now have to REPOINT no matter what. Also, any mention of 0x16 from this point onwards should now be 0x17.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I dont get this Due to a post in Mr.DollSteak's rombase thread, it appears that the Effect Icon IS USED. So, you HAVE TO REPOINT THE ICON POSITION TABLE. I repeat: you now have to REPOINT no matter what. Also, any mention of 0x16 from this point onwards should now be 0x17.

Yeah..I really have to remake this tutorial. It's all over the place.

Anyway, it just means that the hex value for the new type is 0x17. Not 0x16. The tutorial has been changed to accommodate this, and all of the changes are in bold. It's a bit confusing, but please make do with it until I get off my lazy ass and remake this.

Years
ok thanks :3 btw you as you mentioned to add the new type you just have to add 0x17 to any pokemon, what do I have to change and where can I find it (thx for quick response!)
EDIT: Ok I've made some progress, I now understand what you mean by repointing the stuff, however I'm still stuck in this part Due to a post in Mr.DollSteak's rombase thread, it appears that the Effect Icon IS USED. So, you HAVE TO REPOINT THE ICON POSITION TABLE. I repeat: you now have to REPOINT no matter what. How do I do this? I understand the process of repointing itself but I cant seem to understand what it is in that specific part of the hex is what I have to change. Thanks!

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
ok thanks :3 btw you as you mentioned to add the new type you just have to add 0x17 to any pokemon, what do I have to change and where can I find it (thx for quick response!)
EDIT: Ok I've made some progress, I now understand what you mean by repointing the stuff, however I'm still stuck in this part Due to a post in Mr.DollSteak's rombase thread, it appears that the Effect Icon IS USED. So, you HAVE TO REPOINT THE ICON POSITION TABLE. I repeat: you now have to REPOINT no matter what. How do I do this? I understand the process of repointing itself but I cant seem to understand what it is in that specific part of the hex is what I have to change. Thanks!

Its explained in a later part, but essentially:
Take all the data you want, in this case the entire Icon Position Table. Note down the starting offset. e.g./ 0xABCDEF
Now copy that data and paste it into free space. Do your modifications bla bla.
Then, search for the pointer to the original table:
e.g/ offset is 0xABCDEF
split into 3 parts of 2: AB CD EF
flip: EF CD AB
slap 08 to the end
EF CD AB 08 <--- that's the pointer you search for.

Then, replace all instances of that with the pointer to the place where you pasted the data. Use the same process of making offset into pointer and replace all instances. Yay, now it works.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
I hate to be one of those guys, but for some reason this isn't working for me. Would anyone be willing to toss an ips to a fairy patch? I have spent the last hour or so messing around with this and unfortunately after reaching the hex part I'm unable to find 452C94 in my rom. I can only find 452C9F. :/

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I hate to be one of those guys, but for some reason this isn't working for me. Would anyone be willing to toss an ips to a fairy patch? I have spent the last hour or so messing around with this and unfortunately after reaching the hex part I'm unable to find 452C94 in my rom. I can only find 452C9F. :/

Okay, so you went into your hex editor, did a Ctrl+G and typed in 452C94,yes? Now, you WILL be sent there. The location will either be highlighted, or your cursor will be there. If it exists between 000000 and FFFFFF, it exists in the rom. Its just that the label on the side states the 1ST Offset in that row.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Okay, so you went into your hex editor, did a Ctrl+G and typed in 452C94,yes? Now, you WILL be sent there. The location will either be highlighted, or your cursor will be there. If it exists between 000000 and FFFFFF, it exists in the rom. Its just that the label on the side states the 1ST Offset in that row.

Like I said it didn't exist on mine. I'll try to redo the process.

Edit- I see now. It doesn't exist in yours either. its 90. Managed to do all of that and get it up to the point where I was changing all of the pointers for the type effective damage. There seemed to be a lot of them. Game froze after this. I'm not really looking for someone to hold my hand on this so I apologize for repeatedly posting as if this doesn't work. (Obviously it works) I have just been having odd luck with it. Don't know if I want to continue trying, offer to pay someone to do it for me, or give up all together. I'm definitely not hacking illiterate but repeated attempts are getting old.

Edit2- After another attempt and getting the same result with the game going into a black screen after the gamefreak logo, I have decided to just give up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
ShyRayq, do you remember the offset for the pallete one as well? I accidentally skipped through it and don't remember what to put for it. :/

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Like I said it didn't exist on mine. I'll try to redo the process.

Edit- I see now. It doesn't exist in yours either. its 90. Managed to do all of that and get it up to the point where I was changing all of the pointers for the type effective damage. There seemed to be a lot of them. Game froze after this. I'm not really looking for someone to hold my hand on this so I apologize for repeatedly posting as if this doesn't work. (Obviously it works) I have just been having odd luck with it. Don't know if I want to continue trying, offer to pay someone to do it for me, or give up all together. I'm definitely not hacking illiterate but repeated attempts are getting old.

Edit2- After another attempt and getting the same result with the game going into a black screen after the gamefreak logo, I have decided to just give up.

Ahh, guess even I screwed up a bit here. This tutorial is confusing, but if you feel up for it, you can try again later.

ShyRayq, do you remember the offset for the pallete one as well? I accidentally skipped through it and don't remember what to put for it. :/

Original palette? It's 0xE95DBC

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
Well, if you didn't change the palette, you don't need to do anything at all. If you DID change the palette, change the pointer to your new one.

Sorry, I'm really new at this...what I'm doing is the icon for Fairy

So, I just replace the palette original pointer? (BC5DE908)
with...
BC 5D 9E 08?

Back