• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I call it mainstream because the next in line that I heard off in my popularity listing is SAO, and I've included it (though only Aincrad) Besides, SAO is kinda new... Because of the anime. The LN started in 2008, I think? Others don't have anything to do with fighting.

I'm working on the concepts so that it doesn't blow up in everyone's faces. Highest stat wise in the worlds I have is Madoka Magica, and that's because the girls there actually use their souls to do magic. Next is Nanoha, but in canon the characters there are Double Letters in rank. OCs should have lower ranks.

Each have their strengths and weaknesses, like how Suikoden characters have the highest Leadership skills with low defense and health, while Grand Chase characters have great Physical skills with mediocre Leadership. In all honesty, Avatar characters are the most balanced, leaning towards being weak as they don't have magic. I didn't include DB because Avatar characters can take their place, with + points as they can bend elements.
Dragon Ball is definitely incredibly popular, but it's because it's not currently trending that I really would consider it "classic" or "legendary" rather than mainstream; but that's not really important.

So what exactly are you going for? You mention "stats" several times, but what relevance does it bear to the actual RP? Are you saying that the RP itself actually uses stats or are you talking about the power capabilities of the characters in terms of their own canons?

Rune Alchemist

Magical Evil Role Player
Years
  • Age 28
  • Asia
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
Dragon Ball is definitely incredibly popular, but it's because it's not currently trending that I really would consider it "classic" or "legendary" rather than mainstream; but that's not really important.

So what exactly are you going for? You mention "stats" several times, but what relevance does it bear to the actual RP? Are you saying that the RP itself actually uses stats or are you talking about the power capabilities of the characters in terms of their own canons?

Stats actually limit what a character can do, as a rough estimate when the players are writing in the character's actions. As it is, it does play a role in the RP.

For example, LN characters have absurdly high mathematical skills, that they can become engineers and architects even if they don't have a college degree (because they are past mastery:cool:) Suikoden characters are charismatic, thus people under them will listen better than people under Grand Chase characters will. MM girls can take a beating (Getting caught in an avalanche, trapped in a burning castle, shredded by a flurry of arrows, etc..) without any worse for wear that other characters can't.

The stats are compared to the denizens of the RP's world. E-- is the lowest and is below that of the world's population. E is the world's average citizen. It's like you're comparing a Koei Special Officer against a peasant.

Stats change with character growth. It can increase, or decrease. It may be permanent, or temporary. Stats define what a character can do and also acts like a guide, because certain actions require certain levels.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Stats actually limit what a character can do, as a rough estimate when the players are writing in the character's actions. As it is, it does play a role in the RP.

For example, LN characters have absurdly high mathematical skills, that they can become engineers and architects even if they don't have a college degree (because they are past mastery:cool:) Suikoden characters are charismatic, thus people under them will listen better than people under Grand Chase characters will. MM girls can take a beating (Getting caught in an avalanche, trapped in a burning castle, shredded by a flurry of arrows, etc..) without any worse for wear that other characters can't.

The stats are compared to the denizens of the RP's world. E-- is the lowest and is below that of the world's population. E is the world's average citizen. It's like you're comparing a Koei Special Officer against a peasant.

Stats change with character growth. It can increase, or decrease. It may be permanent, or temporary. Stats define what a character can do and also acts like a guide, because certain actions require certain levels.
I see, so this is an RP that uses gameplay similar to those found in Table Top RPGs and Video Game RPGs. That's good, because RPs that employ those elements (and aren't dedicated Pokemon RPs) are shockingly few and far between.

So then exactly where does the RPer come into the equation? Do they play as one of the characters from one of the aforementioned series/worlds, or do they create a character?

Rune Alchemist

Magical Evil Role Player
Years
  • Age 28
  • Asia
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
I see, so this is an RP that uses gameplay similar to those found in Table Top RPGs and Video Game RPGs. That's good, because RPs that employ those elements (and aren't dedicated Pokemon RPs) are shockingly few and far between.

So then exactly where does the average RPer come into the equation? Do they play as one of the characters from one of the aforementioned series/worlds, or do they create a character?

In my original draft, RP's OCs are Pokemon who were killed when Arceus tried to meddle with the Pokemon world. Arceus begged the other gods of different universes to take their lives in, as he lost the privilege to do so when they died.

Each is raised in different worlds from birth, but an influx in Space/Time caused them to land into this world where no god/goddess governs. They can't leave this world unless they get an artifact in the center of the world, which is sealed and characters don't know of. Or get swallowed by a dark void that nobody knows where it leads (I was thinking this is how inactive players' characters die)

I've thought of a system where they can contact their world, but they themselves can't move dimensions. Think Suikoden Tierkreis.

Their old life as Pokemon manifests in the Characters, either Permanent or Temporary. I created a sample character where she has a Ninetails tail when she uses magic, but looks human otherwise. There should always be something from the past life that is carried over to the new one. It can be subtle or eye-catching. The players choose what.

Their past life doesn't have to be significant with their current life. Players can make past-life lovers(Sailor Moon much?) or whatever creative they can think of, but overall isn't all that important. Past is past, live in the Present and plan for the Future, so to speak.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
@Rune Alchemist: Are you creating your very own system for this? With rolls of the dice, etc. ?

Or will the stats just be basic guidelines?

Rune Alchemist

Magical Evil Role Player
Years
  • Age 28
  • Asia
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
@Rune Alchemist: Are you creating your very own system for this? With rolls of the dice, etc. ?

Or will the stats just be basic guidelines?

Some. Stats will factor in, but since I don't actually have any other system generator other than an online dice rolling engine, my resources are limited to the Player content, logical reasoning, and dice rolling.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
Okay. Sounds like you should use something similar to the MAID system for this, 'cause it's about anime things already, and it's very easy to learn.

Other than that, it sounds like an interesting idea. I'm not a huge anime buff, but I do have a few that are close to my heart. :3

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
Years
My One Piece RP is now up for those who're interested! I'd like to get as many positions filled as possible so if you have time for it, go ahead and check it out. :)

I'll leave a direct link to it here.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Sorry, but... MAID system? Googled it and the definition flew right over my head.
Basically, Lili is saying that you should consider using MAID's character generation system for the RP, since it has stats that are present in many anime styled RPs and RPGs (though I've seen a good few that do use them). Really, you could use any character generation system that uses "Intellect", "Strength", and the like in its generation, or you could simply use any generator and relate the stats that it has to the ones you are using for the RP.

Also, love that you have Magia Apple!! (or Bad MagiApple) in your signature :D

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
So, I'd like to bring up the Zelda RP idea I had again, because only one person even responded to it.

Basically, it follows the timeline where the Hero of Time is defeated. Ganondorf however is defeated later. It's years after his death, and rumors have been spread that some evil but anonymous figures plan to resurrect the dark lord. The 'overworld' is based on Ocarina of Time, with a few additions: A portal to the Twilight Realm in the desert, and an island of bird people not far outside the borders of Hyrule. Players can choose Hylian, Kokiri, Gerudo, Goron, Zora, Twili, and Rito as their species.

Each of these seven species is part of a Kingdom, and their locations are:

Hylian - Hyrule Town/Hyrule Castle
Kokiri - Kokiri Forest/Lost Woods
Gerudo - Gerudo Valley/Gerudo Desert
Goron - Goron City/Death Mountain
Zora - Zora's Domain/Zora River
Twili - Twilight Realm
Rito - Dragon Roost Island

There's slight tension between those in power that most commonfolk are completely unaware of. Rumors of War between Kingdoms scattered along with those of Ganon's Revival. If Ganon really is brought back from the dead, then the Kingdoms must unite. Conflict between them could end the land of Hyrule once and for all!

Characters will play as a person from any of the seven species. You are allowed to roam anywhere (since it'll be a Sandbox) and interact with others however you like, since the common people don't have conflict with other Species (unless your character does).

This RP will be free-form Sandbox style, with occasional events thrown about every so often.

So, I'd like to hear any ideas, feedback, or possible interest?

Rune Alchemist

Magical Evil Role Player
Years
  • Age 28
  • Asia
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
Basically, Lili is saying that you should consider using MAID's character generation system for the RP, since it has stats that are present in many anime styled RPs and RPGs (though I've seen a good few that do use them). Really, you could use any character generation system that uses "Intellect", "Strength", and the like in its generation, or you could simply use any generator and relate the stats that it has to the ones you are using for the RP.

Also, love that you have Magia Apple!! (or Bad MagiApple) in your signature :D

Wait, wait, wait. I don't think I'm on the same page.

Are you referring to something like this?
Spoiler:

Because the definition of MAID I am getting is "Massive Array of Idle Disks"

Oh, that's not me. I wish it was me though, at best I could do is B+ on hard XD

And Wolf, sorry~ Only LoZ game I played was "A Link to the Past"

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Wait, wait, wait. I don't think I'm on the same page.

Are you referring to something like this?
Spoiler:

Because the definition of MAID I am getting is "Massive Array of Idle Disks"

Oh, that's not me. I wish it was me though, at best I could do is B+ on hard XD

And Wolf, sorry~ Only LoZ game I played was "A Link to the Past"
Yeah, something like that.

Also, when you search MAID, be sure to type in "MAID System RPG". I'll save you the trouble, though:
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Maid_RPG
http://www.d20source.com/2012/05/why-every-group-should-play-maid-rpg-once
http://www.maidrpg.com/

Though really, you don't need to use MAID specifically, and you can use any character generation system or stat rolling system (or dice rolling system).

Rune Alchemist

Magical Evil Role Player
Years
  • Age 28
  • Asia
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
Yeah, something like that.

Also, when you search MAID, be sure to type in "MAID System RPG". I'll save you the trouble, though:
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Maid_RPG
http://www.d20source.com/2012/05/why-every-group-should-play-maid-rpg-once
http://www.maidrpg.com/

Though really, you don't need to use MAID specifically, and you can use any character generation system or stat rolling system (or dice rolling system).

I... Well...

I think I just fried my brain.

Not in a way you think, mind you. Trying to integrate something like this will take me more time, but might make things simpler in the long run...

There will be a lot more rolling, a lot more craziness, but I have seen something like this before. Who knows, someone might create a gothic litol girl that wields a gravity hammer several times her size, or...

So, you guys are suggesting I use the character creation from this?

... I'm calling in reinforcements if I do it exactly like this one.

As is, unless someon- Oh, you guys just gave me an idea. For the moment, I'm sticking to Dice Roll with the stats, the relationship however can come close to MAID.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
The more you talk of this, Rune Alchemist, the more I only get confused. :P

But...I really, really advise against rolling dice for stats. It's very unbalancing, and just having a predetermined amount of points to distribute would work more effectively, causing you fewer headaches in the process.

Rune Alchemist

Magical Evil Role Player
Years
  • Age 28
  • Asia
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
-shrugs-

I'm trying to be vague. What you see is most likely my musings. It's like hearing one end of a Phone conversation. I apologize, It's a hindrance to both parties.

In my old draft, I have the stats within a certain range. A character's Strength and Weakness can slant a stat higher or lower.

See the sample I created to get a better idea about what I mean. Mostly, I expect people to give their own measurement of their stats, and I'd dub it worthy or not. Dice roll is also based around the average stats of the universe where the character comes from. For example, an LN rolled a dice for intelligence. Lowest gets a B+, Highest gets an S. Something like that.

I only fried my brain thinking what kind of characters players will make if I did MAID. I've found a way around it, so the players write what they want the character to be, rather than let a system do it. You'll just have to see it when I'm done fixing my RP. 'ts still not presentable, as you people have pointed out.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
So, I'd like to bring up the Zelda RP idea I had again, because only one person even responded to it.

Basically, it follows the timeline where the Hero of Time is defeated. Ganondorf however is defeated later. It's years after his death, and rumors have been spread that some evil but anonymous figures plan to resurrect the dark lord. The 'overworld' is based on Ocarina of Time, with a few additions: A portal to the Twilight Realm in the desert, and an island of bird people not far outside the borders of Hyrule. Players can choose Hylian, Kokiri, Gerudo, Goron, Zora, Twili, and Rito as their species.

Twili - Twilight Realm

There's slight tension between those in power that most commonfolk are completely unaware of. Rumors of War between Kingdoms scattered along with those of Ganon's Revival. If Ganon really is brought back from the dead, then the Kingdoms must unite. Conflict between them could end the land of Hyrule once and for all!

Characters will play as a person from any of the seven species. You are allowed to roam anywhere (since it'll be a Sandbox) and interact with others however you like, since the common people don't have conflict with other Species (unless your character does).

This RP will be free-form Sandbox style, with occasional events thrown about every so often.

I'd like some feedback here, if possible.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

Twili - Twilight Realm

Are you going to make your storyline reference to canon events like the sealing war? I'm just one for consistencies so really, Twili and Rito shouldn't be in the same timeline together. iirc the great flood happened after twilight princess and that's around when the Rito came to being.

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
Are you going to make your storyline reference to canon events like the sealing war? I'm just one for consistencies so really, Twili and Rito shouldn't be in the same timeline together. iirc the great flood happened after twilight princess and that's around when the Rito came to being.

Actually Twilight Princess takes place in an entirely different timeline from the Great Flood and Windwaker so it makes them existing the same realm physically impossible as the Rito were supposedly descendants/evolutions of the Zora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back