• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What have you named your Rival?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Yeah, just from the original games, you can name your rival before your pokemon adventure. He can be named to any colorful, nice, or plain ol' vindictive name that you like!

1637-Pokemon-LeafGreenVersionU_10.png

The question here is, what have you named your rival in the pokemon Leaf Green & Fire Red games? Why have you named your rival to that name and how has it enhanced your gameplay? If you don't remember or if you didn't play these games, what would you have named your rival if I asked you right now? o:

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
First i did Gary cause he is Gary from the anime haha but then i got creative with names many from Japanese not so good doers. But in the latest ive named it Jeff after a friend of mine who can kinda be like Blue at times haha. He does look like a Jeff in my eyes though XD

Years
Green! That's his name in the Japanese games so I wanted to stay consistent. Or Blue sometimes if I'm feeling up for it, both are totally all right. Used to use Gary as a kid but later on I started preferring naming them after their game counterparts.

ahh the joys of naming my rival "stupid" as a kid.. haha

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
Years
Originally I was going to name him Gary, but I misspelled it as Gray. I kinda liked it, so it stuck.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
I named him Poopy because at least that gives him an actual good reason to hate me.

All jokes aside, it just feels right. I love it when the rivals have weird or mean names. It adds up to all the random silly things you will inevitably stumble upon while playing. (remember the Team Rocket member who fell asleep in front of the Silph Co. building? Yeah...)

Years
I named my rival Roy. I had no idea why I even chose Roy as a name but since I was lazy to start a new game and name him Blue, I just left it there.

Years
Originally I was going to name him Gary, but I misspelled it as Gray. I kinda liked it, so it stuck.

That goes perfect with the whole color-based names they used to do.

I named mine after people I was actively playing Pokemon with at the time, so after my friends who had the names EJ and Alec. Sometimes I would just name him Gary though...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
I call him Gary, but he gets a different salute everytime I see him.

"Oh FFS, Gary Old-Man is here" (Sirius Black Voice from HP3 scene) Are you going to kill me Gary?! Doubt iit

Or

"Looks like Gary Glitter's brought his (poke)gang with him again. NO, I really do not want to be in it"

"Gazza the twazzock, how are you today?"

"Time for Gary Busey to find out what Lethal Weapons really are" GO [strongest pokemon]

etc

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I named him Pferd (German for horse) as I was playing a German game. I wanted to name him a little insulting (because it's funny), but not something completely idiot.

MissDreavus

Cait Sith
Years
Being a silly immature 13 year old, when I got my hands on LeafGreen about 2 months ago, I decided to be a goof and name him STUPID because I really didn't like him much from what I'd read and thought it would be really funny. Most rivals I name end up with stupid and silly names like WAFFLES and RAGE (angry emote). :P

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
Years
I always just name him either "Green" or "Gary". I always thought "Gary" was the most fitting because he was such a jerk in the anime. xD

Zachella-chan

Winter is coming
Years
I never liked the guy as a kid so I always gave him immature names. Nowadays however, while I can't think of a name from the top of my head, I'd definitely pick something more meaningful. :P

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
Years
  • Age 34
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 19, 2020
First time playing leaf green in years. I named myself Blue (female character) and my rival is green!

Years
G-gary, because regular Gary was too overused and it adds a dramatic effect. Oh MY GOD! IT's G-G-G-G-GARY!

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I've started a tradition of naming my characters Al(after me) and Felix(the male version of my sister's name, since there's no namable female rivals). Before that I was lazy and he was just Green. :P

My sister is much more creative; when we were ten, she named him Stupid(female). So we call him that all the time. 8D

Back