• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Thanks DrFuji :)

I have a new question, I can't get nicknaming to work.
I tried "call 0x1A74EB" from diegoisawesome's tutorial, but the game just freezes there. Then I tried special 0x166, but here my pokémon is not shown in the name editing screen. I presume this needs additional variables for selecting which pokémon has the name changed?

And I have huge problems with flags, the ones I use don't work, i tried 5000, 7000, 8000. Which ones are completely safe?

Thanks in advance,
Reygok

For your first question, Special 0x9E Opens up the nickname screen for Pokemon in the party. You must set the variable 0x8004 to whatever slot number the pokemon you want to nickname is at.

Edit: Special 0x166, which is the one you were using, is for nicknaming Pokemon that are in a box. Setting the box number to 0x800F and the slot of the pokemon in the box to 0x8010 will let you nickname a Pokemon in a box.

For your second question, none of the flags you tried are safe. In fact, the safest ones are the ones used in the game, i.e. 0x28-0x4BC. Flags below this point are usually temporary flags, and above that point they start messing with other stuff in the game. Here's a good list of all the flags in Firered....just consult that before you delegate flags, because some are automatically set, and some are used for stuff in game, like breeding.

How do you activate the pokedex, once it's unlocked, for fire red.

I don't think I understand what you mean. Simply setting the correct flag (0x829) shows the pokedex on the menu screen, and special 0x16F upgrades to the national dex. If its still not opening, I'm not sure what the problem might be. I think it only works if the player has had or seen a Pokemon before, so maybe thats the problem.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Thanks DrFuji :)

I have a new question, I can't get nicknaming to work.
I tried "call 0x1A74EB" from diegoisawesome's tutorial, but the game just freezes there. Then I tried special 0x166, but here my pokémon is not shown in the name editing screen. I presume this needs additional variables for selecting which pokémon has the name changed?

And I have huge problems with flags, the ones I use don't work, i tried 5000, 7000, 8000. Which ones are completely safe?

Thanks in advance,
Reygok

I also had this problem, are you using the hacked engine? because it deletes the script. Simply go into a blank fire red rom open XSE, copy the code, then open up the same script on your version, paste it in, then compile, try it now :).

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Hm, new question again :P If I add an exclamtion mark as movement to an OW, in the game there is always a very tiny sound. How do I add this?

Thanks, Reygok

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Hm, new question again :P If I add an exclamtion mark as movement to an OW, in the game there is always a very tiny sound. How do I add this?

Thanks, Reygok

That's made by using the 'sound' command, or more specifically by using 'sound 0x15'. Place it after the person has made the exclamation mark like so and it should work fine.

Code:
applymovement 0x1 @Move
waitmovement 0x0
sound 0x15
pause 0x20
applumovement 0x1 @MoveContinued
waitmovement 0x0

#org @Move
#raw 0x0
#raw 0x62
#raw 0xFE

#org @MoveContinued
#raw 0x10
#raw 0x10
#raw 0xFE

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
Depends on how much other crap you want to put in there. If it's a purely music hack, then it should be around 1MB of all the .MIDI files.

I see... I think. I'm sorry but I couldn't understand that last part. Did you mean 1MB for all of the .midi together or per?

Another question. How feasible is it to change the way how text is displayed? Like instead of you just going up to a person, talking to them and text appearing at the bottom of the screen you go up to a person, talk to them but the screen turns a bit dark and a picture of the main character and the person they're talking to appear while the pictures sometimes change to convey emotions? Like in other RPGs?

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2012
I have a question which came in my mind yesterday.is it possible to play hacks online? I want to play pokemon b/w online and I am playing Blaze Black(a b/w hack),so can I just play online
 with normal b/w players even though I play a hack??

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
I can't help you with these questions, sorry guys, but I have one, too.
How can I edit the in-game text? Like what Prof. Oak says and other things like every single YES/NO box? Because I want everything to be written in small letters, like in the DS Games.

My problem is: A-Text does not work, I get an error message... So is there an other possibility?

Thanks, Reygok

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
I see... I think. I'm sorry but I couldn't understand that last part. Did you mean 1MB for all of the .midi together or per?

Another question. How feasible is it to change the way how text is displayed? Like instead of you just going up to a person, talking to them and text appearing at the bottom of the screen you go up to a person, talk to them but the screen turns a bit dark and a picture of the main character and the person they're talking to appear while the pictures sometimes change to convey emotions? Like in other RPGs?
Well its not simple. It would be very hard to have the screen turn darker. I know that in FireRed (with a bit of ASM) you can go grayscale. Not sure if its possible in Ruby however. As for the faces it is very much possible in Ruby BUT you would have to place the mugshots in the sprite slot of normal pokemon. For example you could take away Mankey's battle sprite and put in your hero's mugshot. Then for each emotion of the person you would need a new pokemon to replace. However between Celebi and Treecko there are 25 ???'s that aren't used in the game in which you could replace first.

I have a question which came in my mind yesterday.is it possible to play hacks online? I want to play pokemon b/w online and I am playing Blaze Black(a b/w hack),so can I just play online
Are you referring to trade and such with normal player's or a MMORPG (Mega Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game)? For the furthermost it would be a no. But for the first it may be possible if you are on a laptop that gets a Wi-Fi connection perhaps. I've never used a DS Emulator so I can't be sure.

I can't help you with these questions, sorry guys, but I have one, too.
How can I edit the in-game text? Like what Prof. Oak says and other things like every single YES/NO box? Because I want everything to be written in small letters, like in the DS Games.

My problem is: A-Text does not work, I get an error message... So is there an other possibility?

Thanks, Reygok
Why yes there is! It's not as simple to use as A-Text but it adds a lot more possibilities. You would have to use a script editor and the scripts are the movements, actions and words that happen during the game. I would recommend XSE (eXtreme Script Editor) in HackMew's Tools Factory. It is very useful but like I said its not easy to use like A-Text so refer to Diego's Scripting Tutorial for information on how to learn.

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2014
Allright, guys. Sorry to bother you again, but after successfull start with remapping (working on a hack), I decided to insert some new sprites and change some pokemons. Well, worked without problem. Oshawott was in the game and so was Snivy. However, when I opened FSF to find some space for Tepig, I was given some space as usual, but this space is not chaning. Can't get new set of free bytes for inserting another sprites.

I thought that my rom (FireRed) may be damaged somehow, so I tried another one, but after inserting same sprites, same problem popped up.

redriders180

Years

One way to do that is what speedster said, however I know for a fact I've seen a tutorial on how to make "mugshots" appear, and I've seen it in a hack too...I just don't know where the tutorial is. JPANs hack engine has a picture display command which will display images without having to substitute pokemon for it.

I have a question which came in my mind yesterday.is it possible to play hacks online? I want to play pokemon b/w online and I am playing Blaze Black(a b/w hack),so can I just play online
I've never been able to connect to other DS's via a computer, but using a flash cart to play a rom on a DS will work.

Allright, guys. Sorry to bother you again, but after successfull start with remapping (working on a hack), I decided to insert some new sprites and change some pokemons. Well, worked without problem. Oshawott was in the game and so was Snivy. However, when I opened FSF to find some space for Tepig, I was given some space as usual, but this space is not chaning. Can't get new set of free bytes for inserting another sprites.

I thought that my rom (FireRed) may be damaged somehow, so I tried another one, but after inserting same sprites, same problem popped up.
I'm not sure what chaning means, but maybe using wichu's sprite editor would help you.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2012
Well its not simple. It would be very hard to have the screen turn darker. I know that in FireRed (with a bit of ASM) you can go grayscale. Not sure if its possible in Ruby however. As for the faces it is very much possible in Ruby BUT you would have to place the mugshots in the sprite slot of normal pokemon. For example you could take away Mankey's battle sprite and put in your hero's mugshot. Then for each emotion of the person you would need a new pokemon to replace. However between Celebi and Treecko there are 25 ???'s that aren't used in the game in which you could replace first.

One way to do that is what speedster said, however I know for a fact I've seen a tutorial on how to make "mugshots" appear, and I've seen it in a hack too...I just don't know where the tutorial is. JPANs hack engine has a picture display command which will display images without having to substitute pokemon for it.

Thank you both for your help. If you remember what hack had these "mugshots" then please inform me. I've played a hack of Emerald, I think it was Pokemon Skye or something like that, and they had pokemon from all 5 generations. What are the chances of success of getting all pokemon in a hack of Ruby along with completely new music for towns, routes, battles for the gym leaders, elite four, champion and individual music for 8 "teams" along with these "mugshots?"

droomph

weeb
Years
Thank you both for your help. If you remember what hack had these "mugshots" then please inform me. I've played a hack of Emerald, I think it was Pokemon Skye or something like that, and they had pokemon from all 5 generations. What are the chances of success of getting all pokemon in a hack of Ruby along with completely new music for towns, routes, battles for the gym leaders, elite four, champion and individual music for 8 "teams" along with these "mugshots?"
If you can manipulate the assembly code for these commands (and processes), and it's not over the limits of the computer hardware, then you can do it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2012
Are you referring to trade and such with normal player's or a MMORPG (Mega Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game)? For the furthermost it would be a no. But for the first it may be possible if you are on a laptop that gets a Wi-Fi connection perhaps. I've never used a DS Emulator so I can't be sure.

-------

I mean that i use my R4-FLASHCARD with a hack of Pokemon White with new evolutions/attacks/types (Pokemon Blaze Black).I can use WIFI but I dont know if I can trade/battle with people playing the original Black and White,thats the question^^

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Why yes there is! It's not as simple to use as A-Text but it adds a lot more possibilities. You would have to use a script editor and the scripts are the movements, actions and words that happen during the game. I would recommend XSE (eXtreme Script Editor) in HackMew's Tools Factory. It is very useful but like I said its not easy to use like A-Text so refer to Diego's Scripting Tutorial for information on how to learn.

I know quite well what scripting is ;) but what I want is to change what Oak says in the intro, if this is possible with XSE, then please tell me how :P

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
I know quite well what scripting is ;) but what I want is to change what Oak says in the intro, if this is possible with XSE, then please tell me how :P
I did a quick Google search and I think I found someone who had your same problem. Here is a easiest way to change it without A-Text.

Also if you are in desperate need of using A-Text instead tell me what error your getting, OK? :)

redriders180

Years

-------

I mean that i use my R4-FLASHCARD with a hack of Pokemon White with new evolutions/attacks/types (Pokemon Blaze Black).I can use WIFI but I dont know if I can trade/battle with people playing the original Black and White,thats the question^^

In theory, it should work. The only forseeable problem I can think of is that the index numbers of the Pokemon in your hack and the index numbers of the Pokemon in the original game don't match, which would only occur if the hack had fakemon. Otherwise, go ahead and try!

The hack I was thinking of is this one.

If A-text is giving you problems, the best way would be to convert what Oak says into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. If your error message says something about a blahblahblah .OCX, you can actually download that file online to fix it up.

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
If A-text is giving you problems, the best way would be to convert what Oak says into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. If your error message says something about a blahblahblah .OCX, you can actually download that file online to fix it up.

Ahh, thanks, Ill try with Hex :)
I already found this .OCX thing online, but that didnt work for me :(
Thanks again :)

EDIT: Well, I don't know anything about Hex, I got an Editor now, but I can't find parts of what Oak is saying there. Should I just open the .gba file with the Hex Editor and then saerch for words? Converted into Hex, naturally, but just search?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back