• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TY

Thats childish indeed, but even worse is if they complain that (for instance) Battlefield is better in a YouTube video about CoD.

Everytime they rate CoD and BF pretty good, though i really disliked their stories (even they said the story was good in both games).

No one should take reviewers serious.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
CoD and BF are typical examples of AAA and mainstream games. If they got bad scores, it'll actually cause a controversy. Hence why they never get bad scores from professional reviewers.

I don't see any reason to dismiss reviews for any other game though. It's not like they rate niche games low for no reason other than being niche. Hell, see Demon's Souls. Reviews were highly favorable to that game despite being relatively unknown and because of that, the Souls series is one of the most loved of this gen. (and rightfully so.)

TY

Yeah. If i were a reviewer i'd be dead as soon as i have to review a mainstream game i dont like.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I normally read reviews on a French gaming site. They're usually accurate on their reviews and they decrypt the flaws and the good points in a video game, that's the thing I like about them.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
CoD and BF are typical examples of AAA and mainstream games. If they got bad scores, it'll actually cause a controversy. Hence why they never get bad scores from professional reviewers.

It's not because it'd create a controversy, because a controversy would actually make them stand out and get them more attention. Many sites like Kotaku and Destructoid rely on clickbait articles and dishonest "journalism" in order to get money. They don't give the games bad reviews because they've been in bed with the companies for a long time, and giving a bad review could have instant ramifications, from being blacklisted to not having ads hosted on their sites anymore, to other forms of bribery.

I'm not saying that reviews shouldn't be trusted though; games that consistently get 3/10 are almost always terrible games, and that should definitely be noted. Obscure games with fantastic scores(like Demon's Souls) should definitely be noted as well. Just about every other score can be ignored though, especially if it comes from a AAA game and/or a huge corporation.

I don't see any reason to dismiss reviews for any other game though. It's not like they rate niche games low for no reason other than being niche.

A lot of reviews are written by journos and generally ignorant people. Polygon docks serious points for any game that doesn't follow their philosophy. Dragon's Crown got ragged on endlessly about the character designs, and criticisms of the gameplay were mentioned in about two sentences before they went back to ragging on character designs. GTA V also got numerous complaints because of misogyny and racism, despite the reviewer never realizing that GTA has always had a satirical view on society. NieR also sits at a 68 Metascore because people came into it with the idea that it'd be an action game, but the score is somewhat more justifiable as it does have notable flaws.

Reactions: T!M

TY

I think one of the only reviews of games i kinda trust are the WTF is series of Totalbiscuit. He just doesnt care about anyones opinion and even complained a lot about CoD Ghosts.

Though they are more a first-impression series

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Yes reviewers are great, yada, yada. Now.

YouTube people who play videos games. I hate really big hit YouTube guys who play games for 14 seconds (Like GTA V, Beyond, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, etc.) and then continue their lame CoD Zombie ways.

Cheap way to get views. Sell outs, the whole lot of 'em.

TY

Indeed, i despise those people a lot. There arent much known people who play the entire story on YouTube, and that is a huge shame.

T!M

Years
Word. I promise, if I ever become YouTube famous (unlikely) I won't turn into a ScumberJumper/Tejbz mock up. Hell naw! Loyal to the fans!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
My gut is telling me that one of the few companies who don't bribe reviewers is Nintendo, seeing as Wonderful 101 got mixed reviews rather than high scores for a AAA title.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
The thing that I like about reviews, though, is that sometimes I find reviews for games that I have never heard of, and they turn out to be awesome. Without finding the review, I never would have found an awesome game.
That happened to me for a DS game called Monster Tale. It's a bit repetitive, but the story is really interesting and has a nice difficulty curve. If you see it, check it out!

TY

I find out about cool games by just heading to the store and look at the back of the cover, which usually displays some of the game's features and how it looks like. Thats how i got into games like Red Alert 2, Midnight Club and Age of Empires.

T!M

Years
I find out about cool games by just heading to the store and look at the back of the cover, which usually displays some of the game's features and how it looks like. Thats how i got into games like Red Alert 2, Midnight Club and Age of Empires.

I usually go into GameStop knowing what I want before I get there. At that point it's a matter of calling the store and making sure they have it in stock. I'm a sucker for older games. (IE. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Naruto: Rise of a Ninja). I called for MUA and they had it, I got lucky with Naruto: RoN as I didn't call and they had one copy left when I got there (Thank God).

TY

Well usually they got the games i want always unless its a game that is popular as heck.

Also im not gonna host any Sc2 tournament ever again... my nerves XD

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I usually go into GameStop knowing what I want before I get there. At that point it's a matter of calling the store and making sure they have it in stock. I'm a sucker for older games. (IE. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Naruto: Rise of a Ninja). I called for MUA and they had it, I got lucky with Naruto: RoN as I didn't call and they had one copy left when I got there (Thank God).

Ugh I really need to remember to purchase Marvel: Ultimate Alliance!! I can buy it for $5 at Gamestop. Which was better, the first or second?

Also, yeah I've hosted few SSBB tournaments back in the day. Those can rag on and become hassle over time.

TY

Well even worse is when you make it to the finals yourself, which i did xD

TY

Well, i announced it before but Blizzard is blowing doors open for the free starter edition players with patch 2.1 coming out this year, so its a great way to try it out :3

The starter edition is there already, but it has a few restrictions.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't think I would like SCII. I'm not much into strategy, I played LoL back in the day, but I was not avid or skilled in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back