• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is NOT censor bypass?

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Is the only way not to use cuss words at all? No seriously, it's almost impossible to not censor bypass.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's impossible to not censor bypass? Not really. ****. That says the f word, but you wouldn't know cause the censor got it. I'm a potty mouth in person, but still, it doesn't bother me that the censors pick that up. If you type the word and it's censored, it'll just get blocked by the system with *'s. If you purposely try to get around it, like swapping the letters u and c in the f word for example, that will get you in trouble.

Basically, you have to put effort into bypassing the censor. It's easier to just swear and let the censor pick it up and, well, censor it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Certainly bothers me that there's a censor. Personally, I feel if you're using the internet, you're pretty much subjected to curse words and should certainly be someone who isn't offended by someone using them if you're browsing a forum. The Terms of Use say that you have to be 13 years or older to come on here or have parental consent, so I tend to argue that cursing should be allowed - especially without the censor bypass - but others won't have that because this is a children's forum, despite the fact that most of the active memberbase are teenagers.

In a perfect world...

droomph

weeb
Years
I would say that most but not all should be removed.

Like, I can understand that, but some of the more obvious ones should remain. Maybe one or two at the most, but I certainly wouldn't mind if the censor just got removed.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
We discussed the structure of the swear filter a while back and what should or should not be in it and we came out of those discussions with what we have right now. I don't see it changing any time soon, especially when there's no real reason why you'd need to swear on here. Just... use different words, honestly - like Mac said above me.

Really, it's not 'almost impossible' to not censor bypass. 99% of the posts you see on these forums will not censor bypass. Don't use swear words, or if you do use swear words then just let the filter censor them like it's supposed to, and you'll be fine. Try to bypass the filter or change what it censors automatically and you've not really got a leg to stand on if you're hit with a warning or an infraction for censor bypassing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
The fact is, the allowance of swearing is a slippery slope to a kind of forum that PC is not meant to be. Don't be an idiot (this is directed at anyone), cursing leads to hostility and the supreme court ruled against it in media for a reason. If we allow 13 year olds on this site then we abide by that law, because while we're not under it, we are in the same bracket.

Allowing this forum to use profanity would be assuming that they know how to use it. And for a community who got reputation disabled, I don't hold up much hope. Then there's the fact that some of the most common infraction reasons are disrespect to members and censor bypass, put two and two together there. We're a Pokémon community, and outside of that we discuss every day things. Why you would need to curse in your post is beyond me. Whip out a thesaurus if you're that stuck.

In media, profanity is counted as nudity and swearing. Whether you have one or the other your rating goes to a higher age group. So if we disable a filter, people have as much reason to argue that nudity should be allowed. Use your head, just because YOU curse does not mean that it's suitable for an entire forum of multiple age groups to see it.

The only alternative is to have a filter toggle. Where you accept terms of service to allow curse words to be seen or not seen. But that would be inconsistent and still contradict with the fact we don't allow nudity.

Read about social media profanity, curse words and nudity are not found on what this entire forum is based on, and thus, should not be found in the community. Go find another forum to appease your language use.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Is the only way not to use cuss words at all? No seriously, it's almost impossible to not censor bypass.
Huh... y'know, I write an awful lot, and I've never found that to be the case. I manage to express whatever it is that I'm trying to express, even rage if appropriate, without having to bypass a censor to do it. Most of the time, I do it by simply using other words (there are literally millions of them available, so a handful of grossly overused obscenities here and there aren't going to make or break my ability to express myself), but if it's really appropriate and nothing else will do, I just ****ing go ahead and use the ****ing swear words anyway and let them get ****ing censored and count on the audience to be able to figure out what the **** I'm saying anyway.

So no - it's in fact quite possible to not bypass the censor. In fact, it's much easier to not bypass it and just let it do its job, or better yet, to find some other words with which to express yourself so it doesn't even matter one way or the other.

Back