• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Trick Room RMT

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
Years
A Trick Room team I put together to follow -up with my 4th Gen Trick Room Team. However, I wanted to ask you guys to see if it was effective. I know a lot of people don't really rate 5th Gen stuff, but I'd thought I'd give it a try.

Rankurusu @ Leftovers
Relaxed, 252 HP / 156 Def / 102 Sp.Def
Magic Guard
~Trick Room
~Psycho Shock
~Recover
~Explosion

Allows me to set-up Trick Room and Recover off damage, to try an reuse Trick Room. Explosion to provide some damage in an a defending Pokemon. Psycho Shock for STAB, as it nicely targets the Defense of sweepers.

Kurimugan, @Choice Band
Brave, 252 HP/ 6 Def / 252 Atk
Encourage
~Outrage
~Crunch
~Earthquake
~Superpower

A Physical powerhouse once Trick Room is up. Outrage for STAB and dealing massive damage. The other attacks are for dealing damage to those that are weak against these moves. Crunch for Psychic and Ghost types. Earthquake to take out Steels, Rocks, Fire and Electric types. Superpower to deal with Rock, Steel, Ice(if possible). Encourage and Choice Band boost the strength of these attacks as well.

Roopushin, @Flame Orb
Brave, 252 HP / 6 Def/ 252 Atk
Guts
~Mach Punch
~Rock Slide
~Payback
~Bulk Up

Roopushin is here for clearing up later in the match. Bulk Up provides some added Attack and Defense strength to already decent stats. Mach Punch is main move here, clearing up a few Pokemon that are low on health. Rock Slide to take care of Flying-types to interrupt on his parade. Payback to deal with Ghost-types that Mach Punch can't touch. Flame Orb activates Guts to boost its Attack even further.

Octillery, @Wave Incense
Quiet, 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Sniper
~Water Spout
~Ice Beam
~Energy Ball
~Surf

Main Special Attacker. He moves fast under Trick Room. Water Spout for large amounts of damage towards anything. Surf for when his health gets low. Enegery Ball to deal with other Water-types. Ice Beam to deal with Dragons, as the other attacks cover ground pretty well.

Dusclops, @Pre-Evolution Stone
Relaxed, 252 Def / 252 Sp.D / 6 Atk
Pressure
~Ice Punch
~Trick Room
~Will-O-Wisp
~Protect

My back-up Trick Roomer. Pre-Evolution Stone allows for a 30% boost in Defense and Special Defense, so he can take hits well. Will-O-Wisp to wall physical attacker further. Protect to stall for Burn damage or scout. Ice Punch to primarily deal with Dragons, along with other Ice-weak threats.

Shibirudon, @Life Orb
Quiet, 252 Atk/ 252 Sp.Atk / 6 HP
Levitate
~Thunderbolt
~Flamethrower
~Grass Knot
~Crunch

The teams Mixed Attacker. Thunderbolt for STAB against Water-types and Flying. Flamethrower to deal with Steel-types, Ice and Grass. Grass Knot to deal with Bulky Waters, Rock and Ground-types. Crunch to deal with Psychic and Ghost threats.

The Red Chain

Relaxed, 252 Def / 252 Sp.D / 6 Atk Needs max HP.
Pressure
~Ice Punch
~Trick Room
~Will-O-Wisp
~Protect Pain Split
Takes hits much better with maxed out HP, over the defenses, just so you know. Oh and Pain Split over Protect. If you want to keep this Trick Roomer, you will need to heal. Protect does nothing but stall out turns, which doesn't have a point in TR teams.

Kurimugan, @Choice Band
Brave, 252 HP/ 6 Def / 252 Atk
Encourage
~Outrage
~Crunch Fire Fang
~Earthquake
~Superpower Dragon Claw
You'll need Fire Fang for Skarmory and Bronzong. The only two Pokes that resist Dragon and Ground. Dragon Claw for early game. You don't want to be trapped into Outrage.

From my own perspective, I run my own TR teams, you will need a third Trick Roomer at the very least. It doesn't last long, and you could lose Dusclops or Rankurusu mid-battle. If that happens, you're screwed in speed. If you want my "new-to-gen-5" opinion, I'd say put a third Trick Roomer in there. Otherwise you will get eaten. Seriously. XD

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
Years
Takes hits much better with maxed out HP, over the defenses, just so you know. Oh and Pain Split over Protect. If you want to keep this Trick Roomer, you will need to heal. Protect does nothing but stall out turns, which doesn't have a point in TR teams.

You'll need Fire Fang for Skarmory and Bronzong. The only two Pokes that resist Dragon and Ground. Dragon Claw for early game. You don't want to be trapped into Outrage.

From my own perspective, I run my own TR teams, you will need a third Trick Roomer at the very least. It doesn't last long, and you could lose Dusclops or Rankurusu mid-battle. If that happens, you're screwed in speed. If you want my "new-to-gen-5" opinion, I'd say put a third Trick Roomer in there. Otherwise you will get eaten. Seriously. XD

Hmm, okay. I'll make the necessary changes. :)

As for a third Trick-Roomer, what would you suggest? As back up, I have Claydol and Porygon2.

The Red Chain

Hmm, okay. I'll make the necessary changes. :)

As for a third Trick-Roomer, what would you suggest? As back up, I have Claydol and Porygon2.

I suggest Porygon2, and since this is a Gen 5 team, you should put a Pre-evolution Stone on it. It gives 50% more special defense, and defense to a Pokemon that can evolve. As you can imagine, it's insane on P2.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
i'm saddened by the lack of camerupt. =( by far the best mixed TR wall-breaker. if only it wasn't so fragile ._.

hmm Roopushin is a bit of a dilemma for me. it's definitely a strong candidate for trick room but my issue with it is that it's trying to do 2 different things with that set. bulk up is the obvious choice for tanking and hitting hard, but you shouldn't run a bulk up set without the necessary sp def investment. but while it is using bulk up (in limited amount of time w/ trick room might i add), it's dwindling life w/ flame orb trying to maximize damage.

so my suggestion is that you go with either extreme. drop bulk up completely a run an offensive set, no Bulk Up. replace bulk up with Hammer Arm and Rock Slide with Stone Edge. give it some sp def evs so that it can take special hits in using Payback. 624 ATK w/ Hammer Arm does huge damage, so bulk up is not needed. the idea is to hit hard while TR is up.

OR just use a tank/stall without Flame Orb. use Leftovers instead. sp def investment is important here too. the important thing about this set is that it can be used with or without Trick Room. it's trying to stay in, take as many hits as possible and hit them back even harder.

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
Years
Okay The Red Chain, Porygon2 will be my third Trick Roomer, as I don't need to take any more Dark or Ghost attacks, even though Dark still damages. Problem is, who to replace on my current team?

Also Samson, Camerupt is cool, but Octillery is similar in terms of Eruption vs. Water Spout. I may try Camerupt out later, though. :) Also, I'll take the straight out attacking approach(your first option), seems to better suited for dealing damage massive damage during Trick Room, although the variant for when Trick Room ends is tempting to use. Choices, choices.

Last edited:
Back