• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokémon Manga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 3, 2013
Yes, it's published in the original right-to-left format. It was published between 2003 and 2004. There are scanlations of volume 1 chapter 1-5 and scans of volume 2 chapter 9-13 available online, in case you want to read some of it.

I will eventually write about it on my Pokémon manga tumblr. I have just been too busy with real life and Team Special Scans to have time to update my Pokémon manga tumblr and the manga list in this thread. Sorry about that.

Thank you. You got an awesome collection there.
Particularly, I do like when titles are released in the original right-to-left format.
Do you know anything about Chuang Yi's Ash & Pikachu?
What about those Chuang Yi's Pokémon Pocket Monsters/Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga? Are they right-to-left? Do you know if they were censored?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Thank you. You got an awesome collection there.
Particularly, I do like when titles are released in the original right-to-left format.
Thanks! So do I.

Do you know anything about Chuang Yi's Ash & Pikachu?
What about those Chuang Yi's Pokémon Pocket Monsters/Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga? Are they right-to-left? Do you know if they are censored?
Ash & Pikachu
I don't really know anything about the Chuang Yi edition in particular. It was published after Golden Boys, which was published in the original format, so if I had to guess I'd say that it probably wasn't flipped. There are complete Japanese RAWs available online though, in case you want to see what it looks like. I would personally never buy it and probably not read it even if it would become available online in English. Just some random anime episodes from the Johto and Hoenn series that got direct adaptions. I'd rather just watch the original episodes. (The Electric Tale of Pikachu isn't a direct adaption though, so this personal guideline of mine does not apply to it).

Pokémon Pocket Monsters / Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire
Same here, I don't really know anything about the Chuang Yi edition in particular. It was published at about the same time as Golden Boys, which was published in the original format, so if I had to guess I'd say that these probably weren't flipped either. I've read a scanlation of the first chapter. The puns weren't funny (might be because it's hard to give accurate translations to some Japanese puns while still keeping them funny) and the artwork was terrible.

Chuang Yi usually never censor their manga, Pokémon or other:
Chuang Yi said:
Do you do any form of censorship to the manga you publish?
Answer : In compliance with the censorship laws in Singapore, some graphic scenes may be edited and sent to the publishers/authors for approvals before print. However, we make it an effort to keep these cases to an absolute minimum to preserve the author's original art as much as possible. (Anything that is too perverse or requires extensive censorship is probably something we won't look into publishing in the first place.)

We are pleased to inform our readers that less than 2% of our current publications have had to undergo this "makeover".
(source)

As far as I know the only Pokémon manga that Chuang Yi has published that might contain censorship is The Electric Tale of Pikachu volume 1. They used VIZ's translation for volume 1 and I think I remember that they used VIZ's censored scans as well (though I might be wrong there). However, the rest of CY's EToP volumes are uncensored.

Another issue with Chuang Yi's Pokémon manga editions are that they back in the day used to cross-translate from Chinese editions, which sometimes led to errors. At least Pokémon Adventures volume 8-22 have been cross-translated from Chinese. Volume 1-7 are VIZ's Japanese --> English translations and volume 41+ are Japanese --> English translations.
In CY's Golden Boys editions Silver is called Black and Chuck (the fighting Gym Leader) is named Fergus, so either the author took some creative liberties or Chuang Yi messed up that part, probably because they cross-translated it from Chinese without any JP - ENG TLC. Chuang Yi never removed the sfx, so if anyone is interested I could probably ask one of the translators at Team Special Scans to take a look at it.

I have a friend that owns almost all Pokémon manga that has ever been published in volume format by VIZ, Chuang Yi and Shogakukan (+ a lot of VIZ's monthly magazines), so I could ask her stuff like this, or just ask her to join the conversation here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 3, 2013
Thanks again!
I didn't know Chuang Yi's titles had no censorship. However, I didn't know they usually do cross-translations either. That got me kinda sad, since I wanna read the rest of Pokémon Adventures (I've only read until the end of Red's saga). Hope there aren't so many mistakes.
About Ash & Pikachu, the list of volumes on Bulbapedia says it was released before Golden Boys. Well, if it's just based on the anime, I think you're right, there's no much sense in reading it, since I've already watched in the anime.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Here are the old release dates that were taken from place holder pages at VIZ Kids' website. I don't know if the dates of the volumes that aren't listed on Amazon are still accurate.

VIZ does that because they think that they can make more money on arcs based on the newer games that the little kiddies still remember. That's why they publish the arcs as separate series instead of publishing it as one series, like the original Japanese editions are published. It's simple, old-fashioned, capitalistic greed.

Years
Hopefully Manga Reader X was able to answer your question. Just for future reference, if you have any quick questions about any of the Pokemon Manga, please ask them in the List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokemon Manga thread (which is where I'll move these posts to).

MOVED.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Bumping because I'm so excited about the X & Y Pokémon Adventures series! (oh all right PokéSpe for some of you)

I'm totally wondering how it would go.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I absolutely love the creativity they have with the character backgrounds in PokéSpe these days. Teaser text for X/Y from bulbapedia:
X, a boy who won a Pokémon Tournament as a child, has become depressed due to bad experiences with the paparazzi and the public speaking bad about him. Although his friends Y, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor try to get him back to normal, he refuses to listen to them. Meanwhile, Team Flare is aiming to capture both X's Mega Ring and the legendary Pokémon Xerneas and Yveltal to power their ultimate weapon.
The Team Flare thing sounds like a mix of Team Magma/Aqua and Galactic's goals, but X's history is quite cool.

I haven't read the BW2 manga arc yet, but those characters sound like the best so far!:
Lack-Two is a seemingly normal boy enrolled in the Aspertia City Trainer's School. However, he is actually a member of the International Police who aims to find the remaining members of Team Plasma that was defeated two years ago. Unbeknownst to him, the new student, Whi-Two, happens to be a former member of Team Plasma.
"Lack-Two" and "Whi-Two" though? xD I really hope those aren't the officially translated names. From what I heard before, the protagonist's name was Rakutsu and Black 2 was his codename, since he's a police agent. So let's hope that's how they really did it. I haven't gotten around to finishing the BW arc yet actually, so nowhere close the BW2 yet and definitely not close to XY.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I absolutely love the creativity they have with the character backgrounds in PokéSpe these days. Teaser text for X/Y from bulbapedia:
The Team Flare thing sounds like a mix of Team Magma/Aqua and Galactic's goals, but X's history is quite cool.

I haven't read the BW2 manga arc yet, but those characters sound like the best so far!:
"Lack-Two" and "Whi-Two" though? xD I really hope those aren't the officially translated names. From what I heard before, the protagonist's name was Rakutsu and Black 2 was his codename, since he's a police agent. So let's hope that's how they really did it. I haven't gotten around to finishing the BW arc yet actually, so nowhere close the BW2 yet and definitely not close to XY.

I was about to post about this. X and Y sound like weird names for people and so does Whi-Two and Lack-Two, but "Lack Two and Whi Two is a bit more creative imo. But really though, I get their names are based on the titles of the games, but these sound so silly for names. Though we do have a character named N so..... I can't imagine a person naming their kid X or Y though. XD

The story for the manga sounds really interesting though. Just need to finish the others first though. >_>

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Are you guys mostly still referring to that particular manga as PokéSpe/Pokémon Special, or do you mostly call it Pokémon Adventures?

I want to call it Pokémon Special, since that's what I saw when I read most volumes for the first time. Not sure what versions I read actually.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I usually call it Pokémon Special, unless I refer to the VIZ / Chuang Yi version in particular, since Pokémon Special is the original title that the original creator gave it while Pokémon Adventures is the title VIZ made up to sell more copies back in the day.

You probably read Dragon Guard Scanlations volume 1-8 scanlations. They used the VIZ 1st edition translations first and then went on to doing their own translations. There are also a lot of other scanlation groups that has worked on Pokémon Special. I could list them all and what volumes / chapters they did, maybe even what years they scanlated it in, if anyone is interested. I won't (and am not allowed to) provide any links to the scans though, you'll have to do the hard task of Googling yourself. I would probably link to the the groups' Mangaupdates pages, for those that have a Mangaupdates page, that is.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
644.png
Oh yeah, I do remember seeing the words Dragon Guard actually.

In other news, there is now a [manga] prefix in Pokémon General! So if you feel like making manga-related threads, they will be easily distinguishable.

Last edited by a moderator:

大輔

Adventurer
Years
I wonder how they are going to keep Pokemon Special running... the pacing of new games coming out is getting a lot faster now :o also, the tradition of 3 pokedex holders is now broken ( ever since BW 2 ) so this should get really interesting...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Well, they broke that in the second saga already. Yellow was the fourth in Kanto, remember? ;)

Where they three in BW? Black, White and... N? I haven't finished reading that saga.

But I'd wish they tried to deviate more from following the game mechanics and interpreted pokémon their own ways again, like they did better in the first Kanto and Johto arcs. Remember the battles between Johto and Kanto gym leaders in G/S/C's pokémon league? From what I remember, they were pretty creative and unconventional, which I loved.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Yeah I really did like that...I really loved the RS arc the most because it was a good balance between staying true to the game and creative writing. Sadly I couldn't get into DPPT's arc as much because they just threw everything from the games into it, but on the flip side Dai, Pearl, and Platinum are my favorite trio because they are the closest to each other. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
True, Dia Pearl and Platina seem to be be the closest friends which makes their adventures a better read. But I also like Blue's and Silver's backstories with Team Rocket, and Saph and Ruby's backstories with the childhood event forming their lifestyles. And the D/P and Platinum arcs were just... Too fast-paced somehow. The Kanto saga was fast paced in another way; they still had creative details. Such as the Safari Zone chapter! I loved Red's adventure there ^^ D/P/P was a bit too by the book, perhaps. The bodyguards were a fun add though.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Yeah they were really fast paced. Also, is this the only thread for the manga? O_O I thought the manga were a lot more popular than this...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Apparently not. There are some more threads in PGen, which you can find if you click the [Manga] prefix before this thread's title. But not many have posted in them, so apparently the manga isn't very popular at all. We had to discard the pokémon manga subforum that existed under PGen earlier, because no one was posting in it. This thread is the remnant.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Aw, that's rather sad. Well, I'm an adamant fan of the Pokemon Manga rather than the anime personally ( although XY is pretty good so far... ). But yeah, the manga is way more entertaining to read for me, mainly the Pokemon Special series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back