• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Will 5th gen still be relevant?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
While XY doesn't come, I play BW2. I want to fill up the Pokédex in it, but I don't feel motivated with the near release of XY.

After the initial heat with XY calms down, will people still play the Unova games?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
To be honest, I haven't finished Black 2 and White 2 yet. And I probably will still be playing them when X and Y roll around. I still replay older games all the time too. So yeah it will be relevant in my opinion.

Years
Even after X and Y come out, I don't want to ditch my DS Lite so I'm still playing my old 5th Gen games on that for sure and use my 3DS XL specifically for X and Y.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
It will be for a while but eventually people will just play X/Y. Competitively I know Gen 5 will be irrelevant to me until I need to get something off of it

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
It will be for a while but eventually people will just play X/Y. Competitively I know Gen 5 will be irrelevant to me until I need to get something off of it

Are you sure? I've heard of people who still play 4th gen.

My interest in 5th gen is completing the Pokédex. With everyone playing XY, filling it in older games will be more difficult. I don't do competitive battling (with humans, that is).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
As you said, I still play my 4th gen games. I'm playing Platinum atm, even.

I'm sure the Fifth Gen games will still be popular and going on forever, especially as long as Trade Shops and such exist, but it'll definitely lose heat for a while. I'll admit, once XY comes out that's all I'll be focused on playing. c':

But it's certainly a good point. Hopefully people will still be motivated to play and such. c':

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Are you sure? I've heard of people who still play 4th gen.
I am one of those people. I'm doing a Dragon monotype for absolutely no reason on Platinum right now.

Anyway, I'll still play B2/W2 after the release. I'm even gonna still play D/P/Pt/HG/SS. I hope X and Y won't stop other people from playing older games.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2014
I think so, any true fan won't ditch the older games, if they have any sense about them anyways, lol. But sure I'll still be playing RSE and Platinum for as long as I live, the same goes for BW and BW2.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I have completed the dex in White 2 so I have no real reason to play it atm. However, I still play HG when I get bored. For a while I will probably only be playing X/Y. If I had my 3rd Gen games still, I would probably be playing them as well.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
It will still be relevant due to it being the most modern even though alot of the pokemon were blahh I still see people using it for transferring pokemon and nostalgia to whoever unova was the first region for they played plus the story for BW and BW2 were well done so that works too

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I will still continue to play my 5th generation Games. I really love Unova, I won't abandon my Pokemon in the earlier generations.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I can't see why 6th gen will affect older gens tbh. I'm playing HG/SS atm and just played Diamond before that. Sure, the older gens might become irrelevant for a while after the XY hurricane, but they'll be played again before long I'm sure :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I probably won't play them any more as I found gen 5 to be my least favourite generation by a long shot. Gen 3 is much more relevant to me than gen 5 could ever hope to be even now, due to how fast those games run and my newly found interest in ROM hacking.

Years
Yes of course, people still play old games like Yellow, Red etc just for fun. So even if there is a dawn of X and Y games arc, people like me will still play old 5th gen games like Black and White. Believe me they are still better in some ways than X and Y

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
I doubt it, because along with white 2, ive been playing platinum and leafgreen even, so if you are a true fan, youll probably play older games as well.

blue

gucci
Years
I've been occasionally playing White 2 but also switching between Platinum and Soul Silver in the wait for X and Y, but it is a little difficult to get motivated enough to be fully engaged.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I think people will still play older generations of Pokemon while X and Y comes out. Although people might spend hours and hours and hours when people who love Pokemon get it, they will eventually go back and play games like Black and Ruby again.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Well, to me 5th gen was barely relevant anyway. Really wasn't a fan of them, and I haven't even beaten B2 or W2 yet. However, I'm sure people will continue to play them even after X and Y come out. I mean, I'm still playing RSE, DPPt, and HGSS so 3rd and 4th gen games are still very relevant to those who like them, and I'm sure Gen V will be no different.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Obviously it depends on the person.

Some people just blow through the newest games as soon as they come out, then never touch them again and instead just wait for the next gen.

Others play and re-play and re-re-play the games, whatever gen, whatever order, whatever they're in the mood for at the time.

Still others "love" one gen and play it over and over and "hate" another gen and would never even consider playing it, no matter what.

And most are less extreme than any of those - they just play whatever they play whenever they play it.

I'd say that the 5th gen will be as "relevant" as any of the others - some will hate it and never miss an opportunity to complain about it, others will love it and never miss an opportunity to sing its praises, some will replay the games over and over, and others will lose their cartridges and wonder years from now whatever happened to them.

Back