• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Cosarara97's tools - Map and script editor

Years
Wow. So I'd never bothered to open a thread for my ROM-Hacking tools here in pokecommunity, and I now realise it's been quite a stupid thing to do.
I'm cosarara97, and here are my (most important) tools.

The Blue Spider Map Editor
First of all, link to github: https://github.com/cosarara97/blue-spider (yes, GPL)
Now, a screenshot (it's a bit dated, but still):
Blue_spider_color3.png

So what is this exactly? Well, as you might have already guessed, it's my map editor for gen III pokémon games. It supports basic map and event editing, and should be able to open scripts in most script editors.
Now, this will sound funny. It has a command-line version as well. Yup, you can edit the map data importing and exporting to utf-8 and using a text editor, and even use a basic python-eval console to mess with all the program functions. This is fairly useful when toying with unimplemented structures and that kind of thing.
It's written in python, with PyQt4. Linux users (like me), use the source. It's python 3, and the dependencies are listed in the readme.
Now, the latest releases for windows and Mac OSX:
Windows: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2jy9iamg24v6ysg/ASC_git_12_10_2013_win32.zip
Mac OSX (it's a bit old, if anyone wants to make new builds I can provide instructions on how I did it): http://ge.tt/6Txc01n/v/0

The Red Alien Script Compiler/Editor
(Formerly Advanced Script Compiler, and written because writing a cross-platform UI for PKSV wasn't enough)
Github: https://github.com/cosarara97/red-alien
An old screenshot:
ASC.png

(boooring)
It works with Advance Map and Blue Spider, and uses PKSV's commands and syntax. It aims for compatibility with both PKSV and XSE, although it doesn't have all those nice macros for movements (and well, everything) PKSV comes with.
It also has nice stuff of it's own, though:
Code:
#dyn 0x800000

#org @main
if(0x3000) {
    while(0x4000 < 3) {
        msgbox @text
        callstd 6
        addvar 0x4000 1
    }
} else {
    msgbox @text2
    callstd 6
}
end

#org @text
= lalalalalala

#org @text2
= lelelelelele

I really like The Blue Spider!
But, a bit disappointing since I can't edit the map connections, which I find extremely hard for A-map 1.92

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2020
I'm a total idiot. I can't seem to get the Blue-Spider to work. I downloaded it, I think, from Git-hub... But idk how to find the application in the download.
If you download from GitHub you'll be getting the source code, and what you want are the windows binaries. The most recent builds are always on my website, which I'm not allowed to link here (not enough messages on these boards) but you can find on my profile (Contact Info tab)

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2020
So now I got it, but now I can't figure out the command line feature. XD I'm so useless. How do I start and use it?

Since it was not designed with windows in mind, to use it from windows powershell you'll have to first run the following to switch to unicode:
PS C:\Users\Jaume\Desktop\blue-spider\build\blue-spider_14-11-14> chcp 65001
Then you can run whatever command you want:
PS C:\Users\Jaume\Desktop\blue-spider\build\blue-spider_14-11-14> .\bluespider-cli.exe C:\Users\Jaume\Desktop\FR.gba r 0 0
(I'm assuming some experience with the shell here, knowing how to change directories and the like)

PSYqualiac

King of Eatos!
Years
Since it was not designed with windows in mind, to use it from windows powershell you'll have to first run the following to switch to unicode:
Then you can run whatever command you want:
(I'm assuming some experience with the shell here, knowing how to change directories and the like)

Well, you can assume all you want. ;D
Haha honestly no, no experience that I know of. I'll try and download into Vitual Box a copy of the latest Linux and run this in there then. :) If you can create a work-over so Windows can use it, that'd be appweciated to an extreme! :D *claps excitedly*

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2020
Well, you can assume all you want. ;D
Haha honestly no, no experience that I know of. I'll try and download into Vitual Box a copy of the latest Linux and run this in there then. :) If you can create a work-over so Windows can use it, that'd be appweciated to an extreme! :D *claps excitedly*

Windows CAN use it, that's not what I meant. You just have to set your shell to utf8 with the command I pasted.

These are the steps:
1 - Launch Powershell
2 - "cd" to the directory where bluespider-cli.exe is
3 - Run "chcp 65001"
4 - Run bluespider-cli.exe with whatever arguments

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Hey, I really like your Red Alien scripting program. It actually seems to be better than all of our current scripting programs in terms of customization.

Recently I've been looking at adding new scripting commands so hackers can do more with scripting that they previously couldn't do with ASM. Sadly XSE and PKSV don't lend themselves to be edited in an easy way.
Currently, XSE and PKSV commands aren't stored in an easily accessible/editable way which makes it hard for a hacker to expand our scripting tables. Yours has an almost nicely formatted commands.txt file which solves all of these issues and makes the job easier!

I think after a small amount of tweaking, particularly the "insert string", command help, and adding more defines and such, this can be very good.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
Hi! Mac user over here. The map editor runs really nicely!
I do have a few questions:
1. I can't see the wild encounter editor. Is there one?
2. How do I open Red Alien? None of the python scripts I tried seem to be doing it...

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
2. How do I open Red Alien? None of the python scripts I tried seem to be doing it...

To quote from the README:

README said:
You can run asc-cli for CLI or asc-qt for GUI.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2020
1 - No, there isn't one at the moment, sorry.
2 - You are probably missing dependencies. Try running from a terminal.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
1 - No, there isn't one at the moment, sorry.
2 - You are probably missing dependencies. Try running from a terminal.

Well it says python3 does not exist. Does python not come with macs? Or is it something you named python3 that I'm missing?

Years
I'm on a mac.

Okay, I don't know how, but I've managed to actually open Red Alien, even after homebrew telling me there were errors installing the dependencies and whatnot. But now that I have it open, it's the strangest thing -- it's like I have a program editor open or something. I try to click File > Load ROM and the button doesn't work. It highlights it blue and I can actually change the text from "Load ROM" to whatever I want, like "Blueberry Pie." What the heck is going on? This is the same for every single button I try to click in the program. There are also several "Type here" options, for whatever reason. I'm so confused.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait. I just realized I opened asc.ui and it opened a Designer program. That's why I can "design" the program. Well, what the heck. How ironic that I can see the program right in front of me, and can edit certain properties of it, yet can't even open it to use myself.

EDIT 2: Okay, well I tried opening asc.qt, and lo and behold it seems that the issue is I don't have Pyqt5 installed. Well, I'm stumped. I tried installing Pyqt using homebrew but it gave me errors. I tried downloading all the dependencies manually from sourceforge, but when I unzip them I don't see an installer file or anything. Isn't there any other way to install the blasted things manually since homebrew is acting like a crying child?

EDIT 3: Okay, I've installed "pip," Python's package manager. I think the only thing I need to do now is figure out how to install PyQt5. Yeah, I'm stumped there. Why is it that the only way to do all this stuff is with Terminal? Gosh. It's like it was intentionally made complicated. Maybe I'm just dumb???

EDIT 4: Here's the error that Python gives me when I try to open asc-qt, if it matters:
Spoiler:

When I try to make Terminal run the configure file for PyQt (which was the instruction in the readme file) it told me, "Error: Use the --qmake argument to explicitly specify a working Qt qmake."
Well, I have no idea what that even means. I swear, could this road get any bumpier?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
I'm on a mac.

Okay, I don't know how, but I've managed to actually open Red Alien, even after homebrew telling me there were errors installing the dependencies and whatnot. But now that I have it open, it's the strangest thing -- it's like I have a program editor open or something. I try to click File > Load ROM and the button doesn't work. It highlights it blue and I can actually change the text from "Load ROM" to whatever I want, like "Blueberry Pie." What the heck is going on? This is the same for every single button I try to click in the program. There are also several "Type here" options, for whatever reason. I'm so confused.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait. I just realized I opened asc.ui and it opened a Designer program. That's why I can "design" the program. Well, what the heck. How ironic that I can see the program right in front of me, and can edit certain properties of it, yet can't even open it to use myself.

EDIT 2: Okay, well I tried opening asc.qt, and lo and behold it seems that the issue is I don't have Pyqt5 installed. Well, I'm stumped. I tried installing Pyqt using homebrew but it gave me errors. I tried downloading all the dependencies manually from sourceforge, but when I unzip them I don't see an installer file or anything. Isn't there any other way to install the blasted things manually since homebrew is acting like a crying child?

EDIT 3: Okay, I've installed "pip," Python's package manager. I think the only thing I need to do now is figure out how to install PyQt5. Yeah, I'm stumped there. Why is it that the only way to do all this stuff is with Terminal? Gosh. It's like it was intentionally made complicated. Maybe I'm just dumb???

EDIT 4: Here's the error that Python gives me when I try to open asc-qt, if it matters:
Spoiler:

When I try to make Terminal run the configure file for PyQt (which was the instruction in the readme file) it told me, "Error: Use the --qmake argument to explicitly specify a working Qt qmake."
Well, I have no idea what that even means. I swear, could this road get any bumpier?

I'm having the same problem. I was able to get qmake to point to the right place (by putting /Users/MYNAME/Qt/5.4/clang_64/bin/qmake after the --qmake flag) but now it's telling me I need to specify a python3 sip using the --sip flag. When I add --sip /Users/MYNAME/Downloads/python3-sip-dev_4.13.2-1_amd64 to the end, it says it didn't generate any output!

Shame homebrew couldn't be more helpful. "brew install pyqt5" claims it installs pyqt5, but red alien still refuses to believe it exists. Which means there's either a problem with red alien master, or pyqt installed wrong- and given my experience so far, it's probably the second one.

Years
I can't even get PyQt5 to install properly. I was able to install PyQt4 just fine, but oh, of course PyQt5, the one I need, fails to install correctly.

I'm almost ready to just give up. This whole process has just been too drawn out. I have to install this, and then that, and then that and that and that, and even then there's still another problem, and then I have to fix that, oh, and then install something else.

Yeah. I think I'm done. Not like it matters anyway -- I kept thinking PyQt5 was going to be the last issue, but I have no doubt whatsoever that even if I got it installed, another problem would appear.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
I can't even get PyQt5 to install properly. I was able to install PyQt4 just fine, but oh, of course PyQt5, the one I need, fails to install correctly.

I'm almost ready to just give up. This whole process has just been too drawn out. I have to install this, and then that, and then that and that and that, and even then there's still another problem, and then I have to fix that, oh, and then install something else.

Yeah. I think I'm done. Not like it matters anyway -- I kept thinking PyQt5 was going to be the last issue, but I have no doubt whatsoever that even if I got it installed, another problem would appear.

Yeah, same here. It's a shame- I can get Advance Map working in Wine just fine, but XSE and PKSV won't work with it when I try. I was hoping this was the solution, but it seems I will have to look elsewhere.

Back