• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Ambient

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
PC, what do you think of ambient music? Which are your favourite ambient albums and artists? What do you think makes "good" ambient?

Ambient is a huge genre and this thread is deliberately vague, so hopefully we'll get a range of thoughts here.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
Anything easy-listening with minimal lyrics, preferably none, but melodious vocals work, too. It happens to be the type of music I listen to most often.

Some of my good buddies use the term "lounge" music. Basically the type of music you'd listen to, transform into an over-sized potato, and collapse into the depths of your sofa cushions.

I don't particularly have a favorite album or artist, unfortunately. I'll hear songs I recognize or like, but I rarely ever follow up and track down the original artist or the track title. Lately I've been working on personal Pokemon fan projects so all I've been listening to are orchestral arrangements or high-tempo remixes of existing themes :pink_boogie:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I'm a huge ambient music lover <3

I'd say the best way to describe ambient music is that, like VisualJae said, it has minimal lyrics, features natural sounds of some sort (sounds of the sea, the wind, birds chirping, etc.), and it tends to be a bit more on the downtempo side. Ambient music is generally made to fade into the background and not be too intrusive.

A few of my favorite artists are Royksopp, Ulrich Schnauss, Fieldtriqp, Sensiva, and DJ Krush (though his music isn't 100% ambient, most of what he produces is more or less ambient music with a hip-hop beat placed over it). There's so many more great artists out there, but these are the ones I listen to regularly! ^_^

In Space by Royksopp
Spoiler:

Her And The Sea by Ulrich Schnauss
Spoiler:

44100th Galaxy by Sensiva
Spoiler:

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
Ahhh, Royksopp brings back memories.

You know how I discovered them?

GEICO caveman commercial. "Remind Me."

DJ Krush is more trip-hop, I would think.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Ahhh, Royksopp brings back memories.

You know how I discovered them?

GEICO caveman commercial. "Remind Me."

DJ Krush is more trip-hop, I would think.

Haha, that's how most people know of them~ A friend introduced me to their music, and then I realized they were from the Geico commercial when I heard Remind Me for the first time.

Yea, DJ Krush is definitely a trip-hop artist. There's a few of his songs that I think could be considered ambient though, like Song 1 from Zen, or to a lesser extent Pretense from Jaku.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Emanciraptor's Dusk to Dawn and Soon it Will Be Cold Enough are my favourite ambient albums to date. You can listen to them all the way through and whilst it blends perfectly in the background while you're working it doesn't bore you.

Julian Kruse is also another good artist. Fallen from The Sky shows that ambient music doesn't have to be repetitive and the change half way through keeps you interested.

Years
I don't really know what counts as "ambient" but if it's what I think it is (primarily instrumental, often electronic, and not structured like pop music) then I have a good amount of this kind of music.

Serph, Kashiwa Daisuke, Boards of Canada, haruka nakamura, Murcof, World's End Girlfriend, Lunar, and others. I listen to a fair amount of classical-ish and rock/post-rock/whatever music which kind of overlaps with this music in my head so some of these artists might not be what people are thinking of.

Back