• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
Welcome to the club, dithyrambos, Evil Sonic, and AshyBird!

Congrats on the Staryu, Evil Sonic! Sorry for being 13 months late, "lol!" :D

I spent about an hour SRing for shiny Hitmonlee yesterday. As you might have guessed from my lack of caps lock euphoria, it failed to yield a shiny. :D

And I'll admit it, Landorus - you were right! Restarting the club did end up getting a lot more members! We've had more posts this week than the old SHC had in several months!

Sorry dithyrambos, but we're not counting VDex shinys. Only shinys from the mainstream games count, as well as Colloseum and XD (as well as Jirachi from the bonus disk and Manaphy from Ranger). You guys are lucky Landorus is letting you count MM and chained shinys! *grumbles about AshyBird's ridiculously large amount of shinys* :P

I'm probably against the flow of popular opinion here, but I'm disappointed to hear that B/W MMing is up to 1/1366. Everyone and their brother is going to have an army of shinys popping out of eggs left and right! Maybe it'll make the legends more valuable? *returns to SRing*

Last edited:

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
I'm probably against the flow of popular opinion here, but I'm disappointed to hear that B/W MMing is up to 1/1366. Everyone and their brother is going to have an army of shinys popping out of eggs left and right! Maybe it'll make the legends more valuable? *returns to SRing*

I personally find it useless to breed for a Shiny unless I'm doing something productive - heck, any type of hunt, usually (won't be able to do that for Boldore because of Sturdy) - so if I'm not breeding for proper IVs, it's gonna suck. Since foreign Pokémon would be inflexible, it's pretty much pointless for me... I keep gambling with 1/8192. :)

Not Shiny hunting yet, still progressing in the main game, by the way! My party is around Lvl 57-60, right now.

Welcome to the new people, good luck with hunts and see ya soon!

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
I was in the previous club, so I would like to rejoin!

My most recent shiny was shiny Staryu, but that was lots of months ago on Diamond. I was trying to hatch a shiny Duskull also but I never played Diamond enough to hatch it time before Black and White came out.

So right now I have Black and I have been playing it since Monday, I'm not really shiny hunting yet but I'm hoping for a random encounter.
Congrats on the Staryu, and welcome to the club!

If you want your shinies added to the Pokedex, post a list or PM me (trades do not count.) Preferably PM. :)
Here are my shinys (I have them by pokeradar in D/P or exchange):
Please differentiate between shinies you caught yourself, and shinies you got in a trade so I can put your shinies in the Pokedex.

Only shinies you caught count.

Also, you can just wrap font codes around the entire message, instead of around every sentence.
And I'll admit it, Landorus - you were right! Restarting the club did end up getting a lot more members! We've had more posts this week than the old SHC had in several months!

Sorry dithyrambos, but we're not counting VDex shinys. Only shinys from the mainstream games count, as well as Colloseum and XD (as well as Jirachi from the bonus disk and Manaphy from Ranger). You guys are lucky Landorus is letting you count MM and chained shinys! *grumbles about AshyBird's ridiculously large amount of shinys* :P

Yay for me being right. >:3 Muahahaha (Just kidding, I don't care if I am right or not lol)

Small note, Manaphy from Ranger can't be shiny. Anyone who has a shiny Manaphy hacked it. Phione however can be shiny.

Another small note, hatched 1366 eggs takes about twice as long as 8192 SRs while dual encountering. The only Pokemon that is an exception is Magikarp while using Flame Body/Magma Armor. So, it's still a valid method (just as much as SRing) in my personal opinion.

Not Shiny hunting yet, still progressing in the main game, by the way! My party is around Lvl 57-60, right now.

Welcome to the new people, good luck with hunts and see ya soon!

I am also doing the same. I am just playing through the game right now. In the..3D city. I don't remember it's English name. Just training some Victini using the hundreds of trainers in the city. Of course I wont get a shiny from them, but I might when I get more Pokemon and start using the grass more after 3D City!

A storm is coming my way tonight. It may or may not be extremely bad. The news is not quite sure. If it is, I will have school off tomorrow and be able to play all day! Also, next week is OGT (Ohio Graduation Test) week, since I am a senior and only Sophomores have to take it, I get out at 12:30 PM everyday instead of 3:25 PM, that's nearly 3 more hours everyday. <3

G-Money

Years
Small note, Manaphy from Ranger can't be shiny. Anyone who has a shiny Manaphy hacked it. Phione however can be shiny.

Manaphy can be shiny, but it's really, really hard to get. Speaking of comparative rarity, Manaphy might just be the most difficult shiny to obtain legitimately while still being possible:

MetalMario said:
SRing a shiny Manaphy is possible, but is somewhat complicated. They also tried (and did so very aggressively) to prevent Manaphy from being shiny. Like the others, a shiny PV is thrown out if calculated, meaning it cannot be shiny under normal circumstances. However, if you trade it to another game, the set of PVs which yield shinies, as we know, changes, so the egg's PV might now yield a shiny. They tried to shut down this trick, as well, but they messed up. They tried to replace your shiny Manaphy with a new, non-shiny one right as it hatched, but they messed up and checked the OT of the Egg rather than the ID of the trainer who hatched it, so we can, indeed, get shiny Manaphy. Putting it all together, here's how it has to work:

1. Take the Manaphy egg from the green man.
2. Have a new, restartable D/P game handy.
3. Trade the egg to this game. Save the game right away.
4. Prehatch the egg, ensuring you don't save during the process. (Saving will waste precious steps, and you'll need all the steps you can get if you want to be able to perform lots of SRs.)
5. If the Manaphy is not shiny, SR your game and trade the egg back to the first game. (IMPORTANT! Manaphy will NOT appear as shiny on the egg hatch animation. You must check its stats screen afterward.)
6. Delete the savefile on your second game, begin a new adventure, and repeat the process as soon as possible.
7. Warning: The use of external devices to discover the hidden ID of your new savefiles (and speed up the process, avoiding the lengthy hatching process), or to fix them to make sure the egg is a shiny will constitute cheating, and will exempt your Manaphy from qualifying as legitimate. Roll of the dice--remember that.

That actually sounds like a really good idea. It would take forever, but the result would definitely be worth it! Once I finish my current hunts, I might do that, even though it'll probably take years, "lol." An hour per reset? :D Talk about being rewarded for your effort!

Another small note, hatched 1366 eggs takes about twice as long as 8192 SRs while dual encountering. The only Pokemon that is an exception is Magikarp while using Flame Body/Magma Armor. So, it's still a valid method (just as much as SRing) in my personal opinion.

True, it does take longer to hatch 1366 eggs than it does to dual reset 8192 Pokemon. However, it would take longer to hatch 8192 eggs than to hatch 1366 eggs! :D Haha, we'll agree to disagree. Just don't laugh at my relative lack of shinys! *thinks of other excuses*

I hope you get tomorrow off! 12 hours of Pokemon is always awesome, and it maximizes your daily chances! :D

EDIT: MM, do you know if it's possible to get a shiny Manaphy in Platinum, or was the game made so that Manaphy can never be shiny? Platinum is my only HRable 4th gen game, as I'm SRing for the starters and could do it rather easily, without having to restart D/P.

Last edited:

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Well, I stand corrected, G-Money! :D

True, it does take longer to hatch 1366 eggs than it does to dual reset 8192 Pokemon. However, it would take longer to hatch 8192 eggs than to hatch 1366 eggs! :D Haha, we'll agree to disagree. Just don't laugh at my relative lack of shinys! *thinks of other excuses*

It's completely unreasonable to expect someone to hunt a 8192 hatched shiny, very few people have succeeded in doing this.

Okay, let me time how long it takes to hatch a party of 5 eggs. Okay, about 9 minutes.

Now, since 1/8192 is the average chance:

8192 divided by 5 is 1638.4, so now we have to multiply that by 9. That is 14746.6 minutes. That's 246.5 hours, or 10.3 days of constant hunting. Completely unreasonable to expect people to do that.

Now, let's see how long it takes to SR. Okay, about 12 seconds (some Pokemon take 10, some take 14, some take 30, 12 seems like a reasonable number for most.) That means we can do 5 in one minute. Now let's divide 8192 by 5 to find out how many minutes it will take: 1638.2 minutes, 27.3 hours, 1.13 days of constant hunting.. That´s a LOT less than 10.3 days.

Now let's see how long it takes to hatch 1366 eggs. 1366 divided by 5 is 273.2, multiplied by 9 is 2548.8 minutes, 40.98 hours, 1.7 days of constant hunting, 13.68 hours more than it takes to do 8192 SRs.

So, from a mathematical and logical perspective, taking into account how long it takes to hatch the average amount, a 1/8192 egg is most rare, a B/W MM egg is next, then an SR´d Pokemon is last.

So, again from a mathematical perspective, if you think a 1/1366 shiny through hatching isn't worth much, then you think an SRd shiny is worse less.

You've got to love math.

G-Money

Years

Hmm, you make a very good point. Math just pwned me, "lol." You've just objectively proven that MMed shinys are more valuable than SR shinys. I can't argue that, given the numbers. I take back what I said about SReds being more real than MMeds. I guess we could make a whole hierarchy off this, something like:

Manaphy
Roamers
1/8192 eggs
1/2048 eggs
1/1366 eggs
Random Encounters
Dual Encounters
Soft Resets
Spoiler:

Obviously that list is subject to debate, as one could easily say that the value of a shiny is not based on time, but rather on subjective value - my Shuppet means more to mean than some rarer shinys, since it was the first shiny I really hunted with a clear goal in mind. Coolness, color, battle usability, nature, etc. all factor into how awesome a shiny is. I'd rather have a Treecko than a Raikou, simply because I think it looks cooler.

The list is more of a shiny rarity thing. Maybe we could make a number system off of that to use for contests?

Years
Maybe it'll make the legends more valuable? *returns to SRing*
You mean the ones they haxed to never let be shiny? >﹏﹏< Here's hoping that the third edition game lifts this restriction.

Not quite true ... but it's complicated. You need to trade the egg to a different game which will have a different trainer id/SID. This defeats their check. The SR process is a bit bananas, though. You need to COMPLETELY RESTART your save in order to get one more SR chance. This can be mitigated by using 5 eggs at a time (or as many as you can get), but still. Worse than Lati@s on R/S.
AHH you guys already posted my original method! >,< Glad to know I'm still of help.

EDIT: MM, do you know if it's possible to get a shiny Manaphy in Platinum, or was the game made so that Manaphy can never be shiny? Platinum is my only HRable 4th gen game, as I'm SRing for the starters and could do it rather easily, without having to restart D/P.
I haven't tested. My original test was to pokesav a shiny Manaphy egg, then hatch it on the game whose SID I used. You're welcome to test if you have the equipment.

I'm just playing through White, without any special attention to finding shinies ... but I'm always prepared! ^^ (4 badges currently) Once finished, I'll give a go at SRing a shiny Tepig on Black, plus some of my past generation hunts.

Honestly, Everstone's restored function is more of a draw to me than increased odds in B/W's masuda breeding. I could see female Japanese Dream World pokes becoming quite in demand.

To recap the old hunts I'm still working on, they are Kyogre (Sapphire), Giratina (Platinum), Lucario (Pearl, breeding), Turtwig (Pearl, breeding), and Chikorita. I'd consider continuing to use Emerald for breeding Chikorita, but I worry about the busted RNG ruining those plans.

Dual encounters are looking like a pretty sweet method. Route 6 has a ton of gorgeous shinies.

G-Money

Years
*almost two days without a post here*

Don't let the club die again!! "lol" this isn't Serebii; we won't kill you for posting without a new shiny. I'd rather have a bunch of non-shiny, friendly posts without much to say than to have simply a list of people getting shinys and only posting once each month. It's okay to post! ;)

Someone mentioned shiny Ditto the other day, and it got me thinking about how cool it looks. A wad of blue goo? Awesome!! That sounds really, really cool. I really want one now, "lol." So, I've spent the last two days in the Emerald Desert Underpass REing for a shiny Ditto. Whismur and Loudred look cool too, but shiny Ditto just looks really incredible.

Shiny Ditto, here I come!

It's completely unreasonable to expect someone to hunt a 8192 hatched shiny, very few people have succeeded in doing this.

...10.3 days of constant hunting. Completely unreasonable to expect people to do that.

*hugs 1/8192 hatched shiny Magnemite* :D

You mean the ones they haxed to never let be shiny? >﹏﹏< Here's hoping that the third edition game lifts this restriction.

Yeah, I heard about that! It's terrible - why wouldn't they want us to be able to get shinys? I think they're beginning a campaign against us shiny hunters! :o

I haven't tested. My original test was to pokesav a shiny Manaphy egg, then hatch it on the game whose SID I used. You're welcome to test if you have the equipment.

I don't have the equipment, sorry. I guess I'll wait on this one, since I don't want to spend time on Manaphy if Nintendo rigged the game to be unshiny. I wouldn't be surprised though, given their history of removing glitches/Nintendo mess-ups from future games.

...Chikorita...

You're still after Chikorita!? :o Haven't you been after her for, like, 6 years!?

EDIT: By the way, would you still happen to have the shiny card templates, MM? *drools over thought of one of the amazing SHC signature cards*

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
Taking a break after hatching 120 Litwick eggs. I' think of switching to Munna just to keep it fresh you know? but like this
607.png
much better than this
517.png

G-Money

Years
Welcome to the club, NightOfRemorse! Congrats on your Poochyena! A couple of days ago I would've called it a cheap shiny, but Landorus mathematically proved that your Poochy is very valuable - even more valuable than a SR shiny! ;) Nice job! My experience with shiny Poochyena hasn't been, well, pleasant. :)

How are you searching for Absol? RE or MM or regegg? (Yes, I did just abbreviate "regular egg" into a catchy word that rhymes. :D)

I'm still going for Ditto in Emerald. I feel a shiny coming soon!

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
Thanks! I'm searching for Absol also with Masuda Method because I can't chain for **** lol. I stopped at 62 eggs because I was breeding egg moves on a Skarmory, but I'm going to continue it soon. Good luck on your Ditto :] what method are you using?

Years
Random encountering takes less time than SRing, plus you aren't assured to get the shiny you want. Assuming Poochyena is the derp shiny you'd rather be without, then nope, it's less rare than an SR shiny.

If I'm to resume the cards, it's going to be with a script. Seeing how assembling the animations took like 5 times longer than making a person's template, ..., yeah. I had in the back of my mind to make a website hosting a shiny hunter's database. It would be backed with a pokédex project I've been working on, so I'd need to get that finished first. I have coding obligations to both work and osu!, plus I need to find a suitable web host, so I really can't provide a timeline for this.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 3, 2015
Hello all, :] I would like to join this club as well if that's okay! I wanted to join the other club a while back but saw it wasn't very active, so it's cool to see it recreated. XD

I love shiny hunting when I have nothing else to really do on my games. I recently got into shiny chaining at the end of January and have been pretty persistent with it so far. It's a bit tricky but I've caught a few and hope to continue to get better at it. I've also had a masuda method shiny and have RNG'd a couple. Only one random encounter shiny so far and that was on Black version.

So far I have caught with Chaining on Platinum:
Shinx, Bidoof, Farfetch'd, Cubone, Larvitar, Slakoth, Snorunt, Chansey (which I evolved into Blissey), and Electrike. I haven't had much time to chain lately and I've honestly been caught up in Black for the last week so.. I think I'll get back to it in a couple more days. XD

My first shiny was Growlithe on Pearl with Masuda method and then my only random encounter was Deerling in Black (after many hours of random encounters -.-) <3. As for RNG'd, I have done Ralts and Voltorb because I just wanted to try it and see if I could actually do it. I've obtained other pokemon in trades, but I don't really like to count those since I didn't catch them myself (or hatch them).

Currently, I'm not hunting for anything exactly but we'll see in a couple days if that changes.

G-Money

Years
Thanks! I'm searching for Absol also with Masuda Method because I can't chain for **** lol. I stopped at 62 eggs because I was breeding egg moves on a Skarmory, but I'm going to continue it soon. Good luck on your Ditto :] what method are you using?

Good luck! Absol's going to be a really cool shiny when you get it. (notice I said when) ;)

Random encountering takes less time than SRing, plus you aren't assured to get the shiny you want. Assuming Poochyena is the derp shiny you'd rather be without, then nope, it's less rare than an SR shiny.

If I'm to resume the cards, it's going to be with a script. Seeing how assembling the animations took like 5 times longer than making a person's template, ..., yeah. I had in the back of my mind to make a website hosting a shiny hunter's database. It would be backed with a pokédex project I've been working on, so I'd need to get that finished first. I have coding obligations to both work and osu!, plus I need to find a suitable web host, so I really can't provide a timeline for this.

Okay, I totally understand. Don't worry about the cards - I was just curious. Good luck with your site! I bet it'll be really cool once it's done!

I don't really know what you meant about Poochyena, but it's interesting to know that SReds are more valuable than REeds. Thanks!

*goes back to G-Money banner*

Hello all, :] I would like to join this club as well if that's okay! I wanted to join the other club a while back but saw it wasn't very active, so it's cool to see it recreated. XD

I love shiny hunting when I have nothing else to really do on my games. I recently got into shiny chaining at the end of January and have been pretty persistent with it so far. It's a bit tricky but I've caught a few and hope to continue to get better at it. I've also had a masuda method shiny and have RNG'd a couple. Only one random encounter shiny so far and that was on Black version.

So far I have caught with Chaining on Platinum:
Shinx, Bidoof, Farfetch'd, Cubone, Larvitar, Slakoth, Snorunt, Chansey (which I evolved into Blissey), and Electrike. I haven't had much time to chain lately and I've honestly been caught up in Black for the last week so.. I think I'll get back to it in a couple more days. XD

My first shiny was Growlithe on Pearl with Masuda method and then my only random encounter was Deerling in Black (after many hours of random encounters -.-) <3. As for RNG'd, I have done Ralts and Voltorb because I just wanted to try it and see if I could actually do it. I've obtained other pokemon in trades, but I don't really like to count those since I didn't catch them myself (or hatch them).

Currently, I'm not hunting for anything exactly but we'll see in a couple days if that changes.

Welcome to the club! I see you're pretty good at chaining. :D Congrats on...those 11 shinys! Landorus is going to have a blast with the Dex, between you and Mr. 41 ShinysMario. :D

I completely agree with you on the trades - it's much more fun to get them yourself. Apparently, however, Runasutaru's made a method of shiny hunting by searching the GTS! It seems like it could be a fun game, "lol."

I was reading about HG/SS, and I'm seriously considering getting SS now, simply for the Johto starters, Lugia, Ho-oh, and non-annoying-RNG Groudon. I had never planned on getting them before, but the game looks pretty fun. Now if only I can come up with an excuse to go to a game store by myself...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 3, 2015
Welcome to the club! I see you're pretty good at chaining. :D Congrats on...those 11 shinys! Landorus is going to have a blast with the Dex, between you and Mr. 41 ShinysMario. :D

I completely agree with you on the trades - it's much more fun to get them yourself. Apparently, however, Runasutaru's made a method of shiny hunting by searching the GTS! It seems like it could be a fun game, "lol."

I was reading about HG/SS, and I'm seriously considering getting SS now, simply for the Johto starters, Lugia, Ho-oh, and non-annoying-RNG Groudon. I had never planned on getting them before, but the game looks pretty fun. Now if only I can come up with an excuse to go to a game store by myself...

*jaw drop* Yeah, that was basically my expression when seeing his list. It's really impressive to say the least. ^^ I am not so patient with SRing, I've tried for Giratina and for Palkia but not such luck and after weeks, gave up. So yeah.. XD MetalMario you are awesome!!

Eh, I don't think I'm that good I've just been trying swarm pokémon to get the hang of it. Afterwards, I want to try for a harder pokémon like Absol! It's sweet looking when shiny. Good luck to NightOfRemorse too for it. It'll be worth it when you get it!

Really? I haven't seen any shiny pokémon on my GTS except for ones that seemed like obvious hacks. >.< But yeah, I definitely prefer to get my shinies myself since it's no hack.

G-Money you should get SS even if just for those pokémon. I have to admit I haven't really played my HG much but once I pick it up again I know it'll be amazing. I still had no patience when it came to SR for Ho-oh though, I just get bored fast with SR I guess. And with HG I have had no shinies yet either. =(

Years
lol the original SHC was one of my key motivators when it was bustling. I still want to complete my collection of shiny cover legendaries and grass starters.

...oh wait, the Poochyena was bred, nevermind that. I was under the assumption that the pooch was a random encounter.

My missing chained shinies are Bronzor, Stantler, and more Roselia. I will edit them into my second post. (Holy crap! Under original SHC cert shiny rules, that counts as 52 shinies!! But I waive my claims to them as well as repeats found on different chains, which keeps it at 43.)

Giraffe

キリンリキ
Years
Wow, what a great group! I'd love to join.

I currently only own one Shiny -- a Patrat; the first Pokemon I ran into on Black!
I had caught a Shiny Buneary and Snover on Diamond, but have since restarted.

G-Money

Years
I'm still going for Ditto, without luck. I wonder how many Pokemon I'll have raised to level 100 by the end of this hunt?

G-Money you should get SS even if just for those pokémon. I have to admit I haven't really played my HG much but once I pick it up again I know it'll be amazing. I still had no patience when it came to SR for Ho-oh though, I just get bored fast with SR I guess. And with HG I have had no shinies yet either. =(

Thanks! I'll try to pull off some sort of machination next weekend - hopefully it'll net me SS and W!

If you get bored with SRing, switch targets! What I do is I have each game have a different shiny hunt on it, so when I get tired of one I switch to another, so that way I'm always shiny hunting. I've taken a few breaks from Ditto to SR for Drifloon, and the whole thing is really a big break from Mudkip, which probably started off as a break from Hitmonlee, etc. There's always shiny hunting to be done! Never give up!

lol the original SHC was one of my key motivators when it was bustling. I still want to complete my collection of shiny cover legendaries and grass starters.

...oh wait, the Poochyena was bred, nevermind that. I was under the assumption that the pooch was a random encounter.

My missing chained shinies are Bronzor, Stantler, and more Roselia. I will edit them into my second post. (Holy crap! Under original SHC cert shiny rules, that counts as 52 shinies!! But I waive my claims to them as well as repeats found on different chains, which keeps it at 43.)

Wow, that's a lot of shinys! :D I'd love to have that many, "lol." You're a true shiny hunting legend!

As for the SHC bustling, we're working on that! Hopefully we'll be able to get it back to a respectable amount of activity, and that's pretty realistic given the state of the club over the past couple of days. We just need everyone to stay!!

Now, if only we had another member join...

Wow, what a great group! I'd love to join.

I currently only own one Shiny -- a Patrat; the first Pokemon I ran into on Black!
I had caught a Shiny Buneary and Snover on Diamond, but have since restarted.

There's the member we needed! :D Welcome to the club, Giraffe! Congrats on the Patrat! You say it was the first Pokemon you ran into? That's awesome! Talk about good luck! You have a bright future as a shiny hunter. ;)

Sorry to hear about your Buneary and Snover. Hopefully you'll get them back someday, along with many more shinys you never even dreamed of! We're glad to have you in the club.

By the way, are you still SRing for Shaymin, Runa? I saw some posts from last summer where you said you were SRing, so I was wondering if that hunt was ever successful.

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
By the way, are you still SRing for Shaymin, Runa? I saw some posts from last summer where you said you were SRing, so I was wondering if that hunt was ever successful.

Nah, I ended up deciding on just going for as good IV'd of a Shaymin as I had the patience to acquire. I actually prefer the normal colour scheme and I thought since it was unlikely I'd ever get another, I wanted it to be a good one.

Not to mention that I've got a friend I often call Shaymin because of his WoW character and class' similarity to it (Shaye the Druid), so it adds to the fun to have a very usable one!

I should eventually resume my Shiny Giratina SRing spree, though... Must have blue and golden thing of awesome!

Back