• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Dark Monotype - SS
Time for an update! As soon as I finally managed to reach Kanto, my first objective was to catch a Houndour. Took about an hour for me to catch one since the little brats like to Roar. After that, it was slap on the Exp. Share and go beat the gym leaders! All eight gyms defeated easily thanks to wonderful type variety on my team but now I have to deal with Red, the utmost evil of all the trainers in gen 2. There really needs to be a better grinding spot other than round 2 of the E4 or outside Mt. Silver. Ugh.

Looking forward to Lapras and Snorlax. (not)

Current team:
Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Steel Monotype Challenge: White Version 2
5/8

Beat Clay again. Almost literally just posted about fighting him in White Version. Not much else has really happened except I caught a Karrablast and need to evolve it.

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
Hmm..well after some consideration, I'm gonna give a ground ultimate challenge a go.

Forum User Name: CanalavesHermit
Pokémon Type: Ground
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): FiredRed, Heartgold, Emerald, Platinum, White 2 and X
Previous Progress: No

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2019
Forum User Name: TShetler
Pokémon Type: Water
Challenge Type: Single
Game: Fire Red, Heart Gold, Emerald, Pearl, Black

I would do an Ultimate but I don't want to start my Y over, cause I just got my Shiny Charm, but I may do it in the future

Last edited:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
I'm an hour into my challenge, so here's my first update!

-Received Bulbasaur from Professor Oak.
-Lost horribly to Apple, my rival.
-Delivered Oak's parcel, received Pokedex and Pokeballs.
-Somehow managed to lose to a wild Pidgey. GG, Bulbasaur.
-Then lost to a wild Spearow. WTF.
-After grinding Bulbasaur up to level 11, I battled Apple on Route 22. I only was able to win because I used up the two potions that I had.
-Got through Viridian Forest, battling bug catchers along the way. By the time I got to Pewter, Bulbasaur was level 14.
-Immediately after arriving in Pewter City, I challenged Brock. Bulbasaur completely murdered his gym.
-Bulbasaur evolved into Ivysaur right after I got my badge.
-Continued onto Route 3, and lost miserably to Lass Janice. -_-
-Caught Nidoran F on Route 3, and Zubat in Mt. Moon.

Team
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Well I think I should give an update on my progress in Firered.

-Picked up Bulbasaur from Professor Oak.
-Delivered Oak's Parcel
-Beat Gary a second time on route 22
-Went through Viridian Forest, and was ridiculously low on PP to the point I had to leech seed and wait patiently for them to faint while growling at them ._.
-Went into Pewter sweeped Brock easily
-Got the BoulderBadge
-Immediantly after on the next route Bulbasaur evolved into Ivysaur
-Caught a Nidoran(M) and immediantly boxed Ivysaur.

Team

Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Forum User Name: Pekin
Pokémon Type: Fire
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y
Previous Progress: Yes

In this Fire UMC, I've already beaten the first five games, and I'm currently on Pokémon Y. I also have a few other UMCs running, I would love it if you would add my progress in those challenges to this post, as well :)
(PS. I completely missed the post where you asked for no further posts in the last thread - sorry about that!)

Oh, and in my Grass UMC, I've beaten Ghetsis at the Plasma Castle, but previously I assumed that I had to go back to the league and beat Alder in order to complete the game in White. So I guess I've beaten the five first games for my Grass challenge, as well? Anyway, on to the update on the Fire challenge!

Game: Y
Type: Fire
Badges: 1

After catching myself a Fletchling, I moved on to Santalune City, caught myself a Litleo and took on the gym leader - Fletchling made the battle a cakewalk, so not much interesting happened, really. Moving on to Lumiose City, I decided against going with Charmander, so I picked Bulbasaur and deposited the guy right away, the main reasons being that I used Mega Charizard Y in my very first playthrough of Y, and that mega evolution was banned in the previous thread - apparently it isn't in this one, is that right?
Anyway, both Fennekin and Fletchling recently evolved, and I just made it to Camphrier Town - here's my team:

Spoiler:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Just a small update!

-After catching Nidoran F and Zubat, I stayed back to train them up to Ivysaur's level.
-Nidoran F evolved into Nidorina.
-Made it through Mt. Moon with no problems at all.
-Caught Ekans on Route 4.

Team

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Forum User Name: Charblade111
Pokémon Type: Ground
Challenge Type: Ultimate excluding 6th gen for now, may change at a later date
Game(s): FireRed -> HeartGold -> Sapphire -> Diamond -> White 2

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Pretty big update this time!

-After catching Ekans, I headed back to Route 4 to grind, and immediately lost to a wild Spearow.
-Realizing that grinding would be harder than I expected, I decided to use the switch out method and battle Apple. I managed to beat him, but I lost two Pokemon in the process.
-I went back to Route 4, hoping that after gaining some experience, Ekans would now be strong enough to fight the wild Pokemon there.
-I lost to a wild Rattata; Ekans was still too weak. I went to Nugget Bridge and challenged Bug Catcher Cale.
-After beating him, I went AGAIN to Route 4, and finally, Ekans was able to take on the wild Pokemon there, albeit, with much difficulty. It got easier once Ekans hit level 13 and learned Bite, though.
-During this time, I decided to evolve Nidorina into Nidoqueen.
-After Ekans reached level 20, I headed back to Nugget Bridge and Route 25.
-Zubat evolved into Golbat.
-Ekans evolved into Arbok.
-Got the SS Ticket and headed for Vermillion; I also battled all the trainers on Route 11.
-Battled everyone in the SS Anne, and had absolutely no problems battling Apple this time. :)
-I headed back to Cerulean and battled Misty, which was easy since I was over-leveled.
-Immediately after beating Misty, I went back to Vermillion and challenged Lt. Surge, which was fairly easy with Nidoqueen.

Team

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I'm curious what you guys think. Should "Ultimate" remain in the title of the thread? I mean this thread is about Monotypes, not Ultimates, they are just one part of what you can do. I also had someone who mistakenly thought that it was a separate thread. So tell me what you think.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I'm curious what you guys think. Should "Ultimate" remain in the title of the thread? I mean this thread is about Monotypes, not Ultimates, they are just one part of what you can do. I also had someone who mistakenly thought that it was a separate thread. So tell me what you think.

I hadn't previously though of 'Ultimate' being in the title as an issue, but I do see how it could cause confusion to people new to the Challenge forum. Also, now that you mention it, I actually think that simply 'The Monotype Challenge' would look a lot nicer and sound less clunky.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Here's a history lesson for all you n00bs Swablus!

The reason it was called that in the first place was because this forum originally had individual monotype threads for each region (and I think Ultimate was its own thread too). When everything got combined into one thread, it became the "Ultimate Monotype Challenge" thread.

Now, that being said, my vote is to keep it, but I wouldn't really care that much if it became the "Monotype Challenge" instead, although I like how having "Ultimate" in the title makes it moar epic. :D

Now I am reminded that I still have yet to finish the postgame of my water mono on Black 2...erhem.

Years
An update on my firered challenge.

-Trained Nidoran(M) to level 18 outside Mt. Moon. Evolved into Nidorino
-Went through Mt. Moon defeating the helpless lost people inside.
-Found a Moon Stone, evolved Nidorino into Nidoking.
-Defeated Team Rocket and taught Miguel a lesson in sharing.
-Claimed the Helix Fossil
-Went to Cerulean City
-At this point as I was level 24, I thought I could handle the gym. After being decimated by Starmie I realised this wasn't going to be the case.
-After thrashing/loading him with a Persim berry/scoring a critical hit. I managed to defeat Misty after four losses, scoring myself the Cascadabadge. I hate you Starmie, so, so, SO much.

Team

Spoiler:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Time for an update!

-Got through Rock Tunnel, but with difficulty; Arbok fainted twice.
-Battled Apple in Pokemon Tower; his team has become really difficult for me to beat. I lost Nidoqueen during the battle.
-While I was there, I challenged the rest of the trainers in Pokemon Tower, so I wouldn't have to do it later.
-Golbat attempted to evolve twice, but the game stopped it. >.<;;;
-Beat all of the trainers on Route 12.
-Ivysaur evolved into Venusaur while in Celadon gym.
-Beat Erika using Golbat; she gave me some problems with paralysis, but otherwise, it was a pretty easy win.
-Beat everyone in Team Rocket's hideout, and obtained the Silph Scope.
-Defeated the ghost of Marowak and Team Rocket at Pokemon Tower; obtained the PokeFlute.
-Caught Gastly.

Team

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today

I say keep Ultimate in the title. Just make it real clear in the OP that yuo can do Singles as well or something.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Forum User Name: Blueredemption
Pokémon Type: fighting
Challenge Type: single
Game(s): sapphire
Previous Progress: no

Here goes...

Years
Update to my Firered challenge.

-After beating Misty, I went up to visit Bill, solving his identity crisis. Acquired the S.S. Ticket.
-Helped the Cerulean police force deal with the Rocket who was hiding very well in plain sight.
-Raced down to Vermillion City, entered Diglett Tunnel, caught a Diglett.
-Trained Diglett from level 21 to 31, the same level as Nidoking.
-Listened intently to the Pokemon Chairman wax poetic about Rapidash, earning the Bike Voucher.
-Entered the S.S. Anne, was apparently late to the party :(
-Met my Rival, being in the 30s defeated him effortlessly.
-Got HM01
-Challenged Lt. Surge and destroyed his entire gym, the battle was quite shocking.

Team

Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Fighting Monotype Challenge: Black White Version
8/8

Alright, what a stretch that was. Dragonspiral Tower was pretty cool, but Relic Castle was a huge pain. In the end I got the Dark Stone and moved on to Opelucid city. Iris was a rough fight, but nothing I couldn't handle. Now I'm preparing to move on to Victory Road.

Team:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back